Crown

Board: Motor Sports Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

2014 Hungarian F1 Grand Prix at Budapest

With a gap of 14 points, Hamilton has to play catch up (yet again) thanks to a Brembo carbon ceramic disc failure in qualification at Hockenheim.

I wonder what bad luck he will suffer next weekend in Budapest?

What I really want to see is wheel to wheel racing between Rosberg and Hamilton like we saw in Bahrain ...

--

997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

Re: 2014 Hungarian F1 Grand Prix at Budapest

If we'll see it in Budapest than LH will destroy NR dramatically, that track suits LH driving style the best, 7 starts -> 4 wins!!

Interesting analysis from Joe Saward's blog

http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2014/07/22/waiting-for-fernando

--

997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

Very interesting and well informed, I had no idea about that clause... there is stiill hope then...

--

Hamilton's bad luck continues ...

So far, Rosberg has had 1 DNF at the British GP (gearbox failure). When his MGU-K system failed in Canada (gifting the win to Ricciardo), his brakes luckily didn't fail due to lower rear brake bias.

By comparison, Hamilton had an engine fire in Q1 at Hungary that has now ruined his weekend. It's unlikely in Hungary that he will be able to do a lot of damage limitation given how hard it is to overtake there. In Germany, Hamilton's Brembo carbon brake material failed in Q2 spoiling his chances in the race. In Canada, Hamilton had the same MGU-K failure that caused his brakes to fail completely just after he overtook Rosberg. In Monaco, having got his banker lap, Rosberg accidentally/deliberately spoilt his own lap in Q3 which prevented Hamilton from doing his final Q3 run. This was after 4 straight wins for Hamilton at Barcelona, China, Bahrain (where Hamilton came out on top after the best wheel to wheel racing all season) and Malaysia. And in Australia, Hamilton had a DNF.

It's very clear who has had by far the biggest share of bad luck. I'm not a Hamilton fan. I just want to see a clean fight for supremacy on track. So far, all the unreliability of Hamilton's car is depriving us all of the chance to see a proper fight.

--

Hamilton's luck has been freakishly bad this season. I'm not a Hamilton fan either, but you can't help being disappointed for him and the lost racing between him and Rosberg. (Fortunate for Rosberg he didn't end up in the tire wall, like Magnussen, on the first Q3 lap.) Vettel, at least, seems to have pulled it together in qualifying this week.

I don't know why Ferrari didn't have Räikkönen on track at the end of Q1, but I just don't think his heart is in it at all this season.

Ferrari told Raikkonen not to go out again in Q1. He wanted to go out and he questioned their decision. So it was his team's error of judgement.

--

Lauda said he had no doubt Hamilton would have got pole. I think that's most probably right.

Toto Wolff has personally apologised to Hamilton for his car failure. While the sentiment is no doubt genuine, sadly, talk is cheap. Rosberg will be smiling all the way to the front of the grid at the end of the formation lap. What I found particularly disingenuous of Rosberg were his repeated statements post qualification to the media that he would have preferred a gloves off fight with Hamilton. Utter tosh. No one actually wants to jeopardise their chances of victory.

i just want exciting racing ... I don't want a winner to emerge from mechanical unreliability.

--

Well, I believe there is a chance of rain (thunderstorms) for tomorrows race? That might actually produce some interesting results.

I assumed that it was Ferrari's decision not to send him back out, and wasn't basing my comments on his loss of heart on that, more just a conjunction of thoughts. Of course, he always seems a bit glum, so it's hard to tell, but I think he seems particularly so this year, and, frankly, what's not to be glum about?

Rain looks almost certain during the race. I'm glad - it should mix things up ... a bit of unpredictability can make for an exciting race.

As for Raikkonen, looking glum, answering with 1 or 2 monosyllabic words at most is pretty much par for the course for him. It never ceases to amaze me that people actually like him. I think he's a socially inept idiot. I suppose it's his apparently anti-establishment, pseudo-rebellious, 'can't give a sh*t' manner that appeals to today's nihilists.

But looking at the facts alone, he has been utterly annihilated in qualification and the race by Alonso. I expected Alonso to beat him but I never expected such a one-way trouncing. I'm glad - it will free up a Ferrari seat for a new driver with more potential than Kimi. He was lucky to be in the right place to win the 2007 championship when Alonso and Hamilton stole points off each other at McLaren in that ill-fated season.

--

"Why is Lewis not letting me through" Rosberg is a joke ! Get close and he will let u through !

Great last laps, well done Ricciardo those were great moves!

--

996C4, Artic silver (gone) 997C2S, Seal/black, -20mm LSD, PSE (gone) 986S, Arctic Silver (gone)

Fantastic race, really enjoyed that. Amazing recovery from Hamilton and fantastic effort from Alonso.

--

2003 BMW M3 CSL (sold) / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS / 2013 MINI John Cooper Works GP / 2014 BMW Alpina D3 biturbo Touring

Thrilling race - rain, safety cars, wheel to wheel racing, lots of overtaking, intra-team battles over the team radio, some controversy too ... this race had it all.

Superb drive and strategy from Ricciardo :) Once again, Vettel fell short.

Great drive from Alonso ... that Ferrari had no right to be 2nd but he keeps delivering. He deserves an award. Raikkonen certainly salvaged some pride too - it's about time.

Rosberg was undone by the 1st safety car. But when he was 1.5 secs behind Hamilton, why was he complaining that Hamilton was not letting him past? Hamilton said that he would not slow down to let Rosberg past. Rosberg would need to come closer and then Hamilton would let him past.

Hamilton was not being lapped - he didn't need to compromise his own race just to respect Rosberg's race strategy.

Rosberg was behaving like he expected the Red Sea to move apart for him.

This track clearly didn't suit the Williams car.

And McLaren simply can't get their strategy right. Button and Magnussen were the only drivers to replace their intermediate tyres with more of the same at the 1st pitstops. That was just nuts ...

I was impressed by Vergne's drive today. Good for him.

Lotus, Sauber and Caterham all look lost this season, unable to find solutions to their many problems.

A surprisingly poor race for Force India too. A pity Hulkenberg lost his record for scoring points in every race so far this season. Now the only driver who has done that is Alonso.

--

Hamilton is a true racer and a vigorous competitor. For the second race in a row he manages a podium finish after starting last.

Ricciardo is very good but it is early days for a conclusive assessment. However, he gave me joy today for preventing a rare Ferrari win.

Alonso, is trying very hard and he must be appreciated for that. He must be the most conscientious FIAT employee, to drive his heart out race after race for 2 podiums so far.  Ferrari is a glorious name in F1, nothing more.

Vettel is an enigma. I don't adhere by the theory that he was a mediocre driver in a perfect car for 4 seasons. I cannot figure out what is wrong, however. Perhaps, something in his life or lack of motivation after 4 in a rowSmiley

I don't think Mercedes can lose the two titles. Of the two drivers IMO Hamilton is the better one when everything is considered, and I hope he finishes in front.

--

"Form follows function"

Perfect analysis Easy, sums it up nicelywink

--

Very strong DR - Fantastic FA - Great LH - Poor NR -.... - ridicoulus SV

Again SV has proven that his 4 titels were due to the way better package he had in the last years

NR is a fast'n good driver but not a very good racer! Overtaking is not his strength

Looking forward to see what will happen @Spa and Monza, basically all these tracks should suit Mercedes and LH better than anybody else...

Just finished watching the recording, and what a great race, as everyone has said. Everyone on the podium certainly deserved to be there. And, yeah, more than a little silly for Rossberg to be asking why Hamilton wouldn't let him past when he wasn't anywhere near him.

Lord_Driftalot:

Again SV has proven that his 4 titels were due to the way better package he had in the last years

If Mateschittz was smart he'd give Vergne the RBR seat along with Ricciardo and put Vettel in the Toro Rosso  Smiley

--

reginos:

Vettel is an enigma. I don't adhere by the theory that he was a mediocre driver in a perfect car for 4 seasons. I cannot figure out what is wrong, however. Perhaps, something in his life or lack of motivation after 4 in a row--

"Form follows function"

Fantastic race by Ric, Lewis and Alonso. Luck played a major part with the safety car, but those guys maximized their opportunities. My vote for drive of the day is Alonso.

I don't think there is any enigma with Seb. He is having a tough time with this year's car (like Kimi), but he is getting back there. He had a great qualy this weekend, but the safety car really set him back and then he made a mistake and spun. He will be back. Those that think 4 WDCs can be explained away as a great car with a mediocre driver fail to realize that no driver is on top of their game every season, sort of like saying Alonso is not so great because a rookie ran him so hard in 2007...

Too much influenced by saftey car. The rules regarding the saftey car are not fair and not in the sense of sport. They should block the PIT lane during saftey car phase - just not fair! Ricciardo never ever would have won without that incident!

just to cite James Allen

It was Alonso’s stop on lap 38, which Ferrari did because they didn’t want to be undercut by Hamilton, which triggered Hamilton’s second stop. Mercedes pitted Hamilton a lap later, to maintain track position over Rosberg, who was was coming through and getting close to being inside the margin for Hamilton’s pit window.

So why did they put him onto medium tyres? They did this because Alonso had put on new softs, so there was little point in doing the same plan, as they felt Hamilton would not be able to overtake him.

XPB.cc

In practice sessions and the race to that point, no-one had done 32 laps on a set of softs, which is what Alonso would need to do in order to make it to the finish without stopping. From practice the predictions ere 21 laps maximum. Factor in cooler temperatures and you could push it to 25 laps. Add in some skilled tyre management by the driver and you might get to 28-29 laps. But 32 laps was hard to imagine. It highlights what an outstanding drive it was by Alonso.

--

AM
    www.aldo-yachting.de

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part I) Thread Closed 9/24/20 12:47 AM
    watt
    586579 2849
    Porsche Sticky The moment I've been waiting for... 12/30/20 9:03 AM
    rhino

359350 1279
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/10/21 2:32 PM
    Joost
    87139 1085
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 5/12/21 3:30 PM
    WhoopsyM
    45570 344
    Porsche Sticky ROAD TEST: New 992 Carrera 4S 3/3/21 10:57 PM
    Wonderbar
    35715 336
    Porsche Sticky Porsche Taycan Turbo S - Short Review 10/19/20 6:12 PM
    Leawood911
    33583 380
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/11/21 3:34 PM
    watt
    17035 344
    Porsche Sticky Porsche extends the Taycan model range (Taycan 2WD) 2/1/21 12:42 PM
    Leawood911
    4750 29
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 GT3 (2017) 7/27/20 2:13 AM
    DJM48
    566891 5257
    Porsche Cayman GT4 5/4/21 4:46 PM
    Topspeed
    408678 3586
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 4/25/21 4:04 PM
    Topspeed
    359039 3916
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017) 4/29/21 7:24 AM
    GnilM
    356645 3494
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991.2 GT3 RS (2018) 4/28/21 12:26 PM
    W8MM
    318370 3252
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 12/8/20 7:51 PM
    DJM48
    310353 2646
    Porsche OFFICIAL: The new Porsche 992 – a design icon and high-tech sports car 2/28/21 8:05 PM
    Topspeed
    219328 1542
    Porsche Tesla Roadster 9/23/20 8:22 PM
    bluelines
    197532 4279
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Panamera (2016) 2/11/21 9:22 AM
    Itsme
    161457 1379
    Others Alfa Romeo 4C 9/23/20 10:22 AM
    RCA
    138368 792
    Porsche 992 GT3 5/18/21 11:19 PM