Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Bizarre rumor: Apple wants to acquire McLaren

Being reported by the Financial Times.

https://www.ft.com/content/523422ba-7ffd-11e6-8e50-8ec15fb462f4

Re: Bizarre rumor: Apple wants to acquire McLaren

It's all over the news.

They claim it would be for the technology and patents, mmmmmm...

i do not find it bizarre at all.

mc laren imo has a very hight tech image....much more than a classical auto maker.

that would suit apple quite well.

however, from a financial viewpoint its a femto company in apple terms.

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

It would more than likely be for their Applied Technologies portion and not the F1/Automotive division IMO. It may all be part of the deal, but I think they're more interested in the technology part of McLaren Group than the road car business being that I still don't think they have any interest in selling cars. It would however let them put all their technology into McLaren cars for testing.

noone1:

It would more than likely be for their Applied Technologies portion and not the F1/Automotive division IMO. It may all be part of the deal, but I think they're more interested in the technology part of McLaren Group than the road car business being that I still don't think they have any interest in selling cars. It would however let them put all their technology into McLaren cars for testing.

On the other hand, if Apple does intend to produce a car, buying McLaren would mean having immediate access to an R&D centre and team with a known ability to design, develop and put into production state-of-the-art high-end, high-tech road vehicles without also having to take on the legacy old-school metal bashing production facilities which most car manufacturers still have.
    McLaren's production facilities would presumably have to be scaled up and adapted to the larger prod numbers and lower price market sector Apple would likely want to aim for, but that still ought to be quicker and cheaper than starting with a blank sheet of paper and a greenfield site. 

PS: I also meant to mention that McLaren's ultra-modern facility and its company ethos and image should also be merge well into the Apple environment. 

--

fritz

Denied by McLaren, though that doesn't necessarily mean Apple wouldn't be working with them on something.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/9/21/13002796/apple-mclaren-acquisition-statement-denial

Beats did the same when they were about to be acquired by Apple.

Seems like Someone in Surrey had too much to drink last night lol

Another important piece of the puzzle came from NYT reporter Brian X. Chen, who confirmed talks between Apple and McLaren from his own sources. He also added that Apple was also looking at investing in Lit Motors, a small San Francisco startup that makes self-balancing electric motorcycles.

It is already officially denied by Apple! Seems to be a Hoax!

Lars997:

Actually, McLaren denied...I haven't read anything official from Apple yet (and we probably never will, it is not their style to comment on stuff like this).

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

RC:
    Lars997:

Actually, McLaren denied...I haven't read anything official from Apple yet (and we probably never will, it is not their style to comment on stuff like this).

Same here.
    McLaren denied that there are talks regarding Apple investing in McLaren. That would still leave open the possibilities that they are talking about McLaren contracting to do design/development work for Apple or a joint venture on developing/producing a car.

--

fritz

Or it could be like Alonso's concussion. Did Ron Dennis make the denial?

fritz:
    RC:
    Lars997:

Same here.
    McLaren denied that there are talks regarding Apple investing in McLaren. That would still leave open the possibilities that they are talking about McLaren contracting to do design/development work for Apple or a joint venture on developing/producing a car.

Here is another thought: Maybe Apple doesn't want to invest but to buy them (as the initial rumor suggested)? Smiley 

Apple would profit from the patents, the brand itself and if they play it right, they could even make McLaren profitable.

Not exactly a bad idea in my opinion, especially since Apple sits on over 200 billion USD cash and McLaren would cost them maybe 2 billion at max. Good investment if you ask me.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

apias:

Or it could be like Alonso's concussion. Did Ron Dennis make the denial?

I can't find the original article right now, but it was a direct quote from Mike Flewitt, CEO of MaLaren Automotive. 
    I have yet to see any comments from Ron Dennis personally. 

--

fritz

Maybe Apple would just want to own a UK based automaker to funnel profits to the UK similar to Ireland should their Ireland deal collapse ;)

RC:
    fritz:
    RC:
    Lars997:

Same here.

Here is another thought: Maybe Apple doesn't want to invest but to buy them (as the initial rumor suggested)? Smiley 

Apple would profit from the patents, the brand itself and if they play it right, they could even make McLaren profitable.

Not exactly a bad idea in my opinion, especially since Apple sits on over 200 billion USD cash and McLaren would cost them maybe 2 billion at max. Good investment if you ask me.

a) I don't know that McLaren has any patents that could be especially useful to Apple.

b) The McLaren brand would only be of value to Apple if applied to cars, and even then I suspect that Apple would prefer to push its own brand to the forefront. 

c) I don't know what Apple could bring to the game to make McLaren's current product range profitable other than a capital injection. 

--

fritz

a) I am pretty sure that McLaren has some interesting patents (carbon/lightweight constructions?) to offer, their cars are substantially lighter than the cars of the competition and I just don't want to think that this is related to a much worse crash durability mail (so yes, I actually think that McLaren has some interesting knowhow to offer).

b) McLaren could be just a brand owned by Apple, they do not necessarily need to promote it along with their Apple products (Beats for example)

c) capital injection is certainly something McLaren seems to need

--

RC:

a) I am pretty sure that McLaren has some interesting patents (carbon/lightweight constructions?) to offer, their cars are substantially lighter than the cars of the competition and I just don't want to think that this is related to a much worse crash durability mail (so yes, I actually think that McLaren has some interesting knowhow to offer).

I would never deny that McLaren has know-how which might be useful to Apple, but know-how per se is not patentable. 
    Contracting McLaren to do development work would be an efficient way of making use of that know-how. 

b) McLaren could be just a brand owned by Apple, they do not necessarily need to promote it along with their Apple products (Beats for example)

c) capital injection is certainly something McLaren seems to need

Those are scenarios which have already been expressly excluded by the McLaren CEO's statement. 

--

fritz

A car infotainment system.

The Iris system in he McLaren is shit, they might as well put in a lightning dock connect in the center console to replace the whole Iris system.

McLaren is a small number manufacturer, could be a perfect place to test the rumored car operating system Apple is working on.

--

+1 - I would love to see Apple buying them - a win/win for both !

The "plot" thickens... indecision

https://twitter.com/tim/status/778644415778742272

--

Seriously, does anyone think that if Apple wanted to buy McLaren that McLaren won't jump at the opportunity? mail

--

One of history's few iron laws is that luxuries tend to become necessities and to spawn new obligations.

nberry:

Seriously, does anyone think that if Apple wanted to buy McLaren that McLaren won't jump at the opportunity? mail

Who says they don't? If talks are ongoing, both sides would be pretty dumb to make it public.

--

It’s not McLaren Racing, but McLaren Applied Technologies, that Apple is likely lusting http://tcrn.ch/2cWGYbP

koko:

It’s not McLaren Racing, but McLaren Applied Technologies, that Apple is likely lusting http://tcrn.ch/2cWGYbP

That makes sense to me, I can see why they would go after this specific firm and resources. Apple has a lot of cash to burn, but they know that their car project (Titan is it?) is a big undertaking. 

--

1991 BMW 535i Granitsilber/White Leather

Ex: '91 BMW 318i, '89 BMW 525i, '74 Mercedes-Benz 280E, '87 BMW 325is, '86 BMW 325e, '05 Ford Focus ZX4 S, '85.5 Porsche 944

nberry:

Exactly. IMO it would be a huge leap forward for McL, it could be exactly what they need to take on the competition in a very strong way. 

So now we know the rest of the story  :

http://www.theverge.com/2016/9/27/13071214/mclaren-first-electric-car-p1tm-kids

--

fritz

hahahaha,omg

fritz:

So now we know the rest of the story  :

http://www.theverge.com/2016/9/27/13071214/mclaren-first-electric-car-p1tm-kids

That's the mule for project titan, they are doing real world consumer testing Smiley

--

1991 BMW 535i Granitsilber/White Leather

Ex: '91 BMW 318i, '89 BMW 525i, '74 Mercedes-Benz 280E, '87 BMW 325is, '86 BMW 325e, '05 Ford Focus ZX4 S, '85.5 Porsche 944

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part I) Thread Closed 9/24/20 12:47 AM
    watt
    586576 2849
    Porsche Sticky The moment I've been waiting for... 12/30/20 9:03 AM
    rhino

359348 1279
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/10/21 2:32 PM
    Joost
    87137 1085
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 5/12/21 3:30 PM
    WhoopsyM
    45564 344
    Porsche Sticky ROAD TEST: New 992 Carrera 4S 3/3/21 10:57 PM
    Wonderbar
    35714 336
    Porsche Sticky Porsche Taycan Turbo S - Short Review 10/19/20 6:12 PM
    Leawood911
    33583 380
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/11/21 3:34 PM
    watt
    17035 344
    Porsche Sticky Porsche extends the Taycan model range (Taycan 2WD) 2/1/21 12:42 PM
    Leawood911
    4750 29
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 GT3 (2017) 7/27/20 2:13 AM
    DJM48
    566885 5257
    Porsche Cayman GT4 5/4/21 4:46 PM
    Topspeed
    408653 3586
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 4/25/21 4:04 PM
    Topspeed
    359035 3916
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017) 4/29/21 7:24 AM
    GnilM
    356639 3494
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991.2 GT3 RS (2018) 4/28/21 12:26 PM
    W8MM
    318356 3252
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 12/8/20 7:51 PM
    DJM48
    310353 2646
    Porsche OFFICIAL: The new Porsche 992 – a design icon and high-tech sports car 2/28/21 8:05 PM
    Topspeed
    219325 1542
    Porsche Tesla Roadster 9/23/20 8:22 PM
    bluelines
    197484 4279
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Panamera (2016) 2/11/21 9:22 AM
    Itsme
    161457 1379
    Others Alfa Romeo 4C 9/23/20 10:22 AM
    RCA
    138368 792
    Porsche 992 GT3 5/18/21 11:19 PM