Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Interesting study from JD Power on Customer Retention

http://autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=101297

Any thoughts on why Porsche lags behind industry average in customer retension? Some potential reasons?

1. Dabblers and status seekers that don't repeat as customers as they seek the "next big thing?"
    2. Frustrating dealership experiences?
    3. People holding onto their beloved Porsches for so long that they don't buy another Porsche?

Just speculation...

Re: Interesting study from JD Power on Customer Retention

Honestly I think it is a lot of your #1 reason as well as the fact that Porsche isn't paying attention to what the competition is doing now a days. They seem to be on their own schedule as well as pricing plan. Basically... a "You need us so we'll do whatever we like" attitude. They also seem to be too fixated on cutting costs thus cutting quality as well as giving us as little change as possible.

Quote:
    alin2 said:

Any thoughts on why Porsche lags behind industry average in customer retension? Some potential reasons?

1. Dabblers and status seekers that don't repeat as customers as they seek the "next big thing?"
    3. People holding onto their beloved Porsches for so long that they don't buy another Porsche?

Just speculation...

Those seem like good reasons but probably more #1, the status seekers, than 2 or 3. Think about who is ranked #1 for customer retention in that survey, Chevrolet. I can't imagine the dealership experience at Chevrolet being that superior to Porsche dealers.

It may have more to do with the personality profile of the buyer. A very conservative person who is resistant to change may be drawn to Chevrolet because that brand fits that persons need to be frugal. That personality type is then loyal to Chevrolet and resistant to change brands because there is a need to maintain consistency.

Another factor may be meeting expectations. A person that buys a Chevrolet expects a certain performance and service level out of their vehicle. Maybe Porsche owners defect because the car does not live up to their "expectations"...

Just my .02 worth.
    Roy

Quote:
    alin2 said:

Just speculation...

Porsche is about hard core road performance and nothing else. Buyers find themselves taking the same curve in the road or twisty road over and over again and finally ask themselves is that all there is? The car is expensive compared to the other cars in its performance range. It has huge depreciation and is not very practical(Porsche own acknowledgement). In a word, it is not special.

Buyers soon arrive at this conclusion and look elsewhere.

I think that co's like GM just work harder to keep customers with incentives etc. They've got a new campaign in CA called "Lock and Roll" whereby they sell you a new car at o% financing and they'll offer you the same 0% on your next GM car. That's pretty hard to beat. So, while their product is nice I think that the loyalty "perks" are nicer What does Porsche do to retain customers? They offer a club membership that you have to pay for. That's one area that they could learn a lesson from to increase business. It's cheaper to retain customers than having to wow 'em with the latest and greatest every time.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    alin2 said:

Just speculation...

Porsche is about hard core road performance and nothing else. Buyers find themselves taking the same curve in the road or twisty road over and over again and finally ask themselves is that all there is? The car is expensive compared to the other cars in its performance range. It has huge depreciation and is not very practical(Porsche own acknowledgement). In a word, it is not special.

Buyers soon arrive at this conclusion and look elsewhere.

I must be stupid then 'cause I haven't yet reached this "conclusion"

Quote:
    alin2 said:
    I must be stupid then 'cause I haven't yet reached this "conclusion"

You have nothing to worry. Nick (who fits on option 1 - 1st post) has no logic. He continues on his anti-PAG crusade - it surprises me that today he claims "...Porsche is about hard core road performance." At least, he is correct on that one. By inference, Nick is not... he cares about poseurism and resale value of his no-mileage F-car garage queen.

Don't know why Porsche lags behind the industry as a whole, but I think the answer to that question is associated with where other sportscar or specialty car manufacturers are in the sample. How did Ferrari fair? Lambo? Rolls? Aston?

Simple obvious answer?

People buy one and keep it for a long time and then their lives change and they ask why they need such a high performance car anymore.

Other than the cayenne there's no "more conservative" models in the Porsche lineup.

BMW and Mercedes has all the bases covered. 25 or 75 there's a BMW for you.

Quote:
    alin2 said:

Just speculation...

This reason is definitely speculative since there's probably a very small number of buyers so motivated.

No one I know would buy it as a status symbol.

Matter of fact, where I come from, it's likely seen more as evidence that the owner just likes nice things and _isn't_ afraid_to_show_it_.

Some people I know would consider such "conspicuous consumption" distasteful; they who have two or three vacation homes hidden away.

I think there's probably another reason which noone has pointed out.

Porsche, until recently have only produced expensive sports cars. Such cars are generally bought by successful younger single guys or by older post-family responsibility 40-50somethings (and yes a few women as well). That leaves a big middle ground where the successful younger guy gets married, has kids and has a requirement for something a little more practical than his 911 or Boxster. Now we have the Cayenne which was designed in many ways to keep that customer within the brand BUT they have a lot more choice when they're looking for a premium brand SUV than they do when looking at an aspirational purchase like a 911.

In fact sitting here waiting for my new 997 to roll off the production line I can say that in that price range and category there was no competition.

But as for SUVs, I have a BMW X5 coz pound for pound its a much better car than the Cayenne I had before it not least because it comes with a phenomenal Diesel engine (in Europe at least) so when I'm travelling across continents on my ski trips I don't have to stop for gas every 200 miles - more like 600 on the same size tank.

Quote:
    senator said:

But as for SUVs, I have a BMW X5 coz pound for pound its a much better car than the Cayenne I had before it not least because it comes with a phenomenal Diesel engine (in Europe at least) so when I'm travelling across continents on my ski trips I don't have to stop for gas every 200 miles - more like 600 on the same size tank.

Oh, BTW does the X5 have a spare?

Quote:
    MaxErnst said:
    Oh, BTW does the X5 have a spare?

Probably, but so does the Cayenne.

Speculation about this study is just that--speculation. I can only comment from my experience. I have owned a Porsche of some sort since 1965, and have held various opinions about the marque over that time. I have an abiding respect and loyalty for Porsche, but have lost interest on occasion. Most notable was my decline in interest regarding the 911 model line from the late 70's until the 993 series was launched. During that period I thought Porsche was getting behind in design and product value, and it fact it was. I also was working extremely hard at my career, and was starting a new (second family). I was certainly distracted (and disappointed with the 911 offerings, but never lost my admiration for Porsche.

But the 993 really reawakened my interest, and the 996 even more. I admired Porsche's risky decision on the Boxter, and admire the decision regarding the Cayenne as well. In a sentence, both decisions give Porsche the stability to continue to make wonderful sports cars. It doesn't matter a whit to me that the company makes more Cayennes than other models. I also like the improvements in the 997 series, and intend to purchase a 997 TT.

I have owned a 996 TT since 2001, and can honestly say its the best all-around sports car I have ever enjoyed. And IMHO, Porsche is again on top of its game. If people come and go for various reasons over the years, I'm guessing that normal life circumstances (recessions, careers, etc.) affect their inclinations/abilities to purchase a premium and very fine sports car.

Happy Thanksgiving to All!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky The moment I've been waiting for... 5/16/22 11:50 AM
    BjoernB

572322 1304
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/23/22 1:43 PM
    Rossi
    221995 1179
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/22 6:57 PM
    JoeRockhead
    110741 951
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/1/22 7:14 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    107967 405
    Porsche Sticky Porsche Taycan Turbo S - Short Review 1/3/22 7:55 AM
    Rossi
    89112 531
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 1/15/22 10:41 PM
    watt
    31384 1
    Porsche Cayman GT4 10/5/21 7:04 PM
    Topspeed
    511514 3587
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017) 9/28/21 3:25 AM
    WhoopsyM
    426783 3507
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 2/1/22 10:14 PM
    SSO.
    423718 3954
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991.2 GT3 RS (2018) 11/17/21 5:18 PM
    Rossi
    387045 3256
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 2/1/22 9:49 AM
    RCA
    364377 2655
    Porsche 992 GT3 5/13/22 3:48 PM
    Grant
    345207 3536
    Porsche OFFICIAL: The new Porsche 992 – a design icon and high-tech sports car 9/29/21 1:59 AM
    watt
    289107 1587
    Porsche Donor vehicle for Singer Vehicle Design 2/10/22 9:08 PM
    Topspeed
    137257 772
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 4/25/22 7:26 PM
    bluelines
    134256 1388
    McLaren F1 7/10/21 7:43 AM
    BiTurbo
    110617 209
    AMG AMG GT R 3/13/22 8:52 PM