Crown

Forum - Thread

My test drive of the new 997 GT2RS

i test drove the car at Stuttgart c/o Porsche, this past Monday.

Note i did not get to test the car on a test track, and unfortunately, the roads around Stuttgart on a Monday morning are not exactly traffic free. so while there were opportunities to take it to redline on some backroads and the autobahn a couple times, its pretty hard to get a full picture of such a powerful car on public roads.

with that being said...

the most striking thing about the car has to be how it truly is such a capable jack-of-all-trades. saying that it is track focused, yet can be used everyday seems to the litany that Porsche spurts out ad nauseam about their "GT" cars, but it seems they've taken it to yet another level here.

the car is really easy to drive on the street, and rides at least as well as the current GT3RS. ok fine, so the clutch is still on the heavy side, but it felt lighter than on a regular GT2 (based on how i remember the GT2's,) and lighter too than my 997.1 GT3. i particularly noticed-- and liked-- the clutch's engagement point. you know how there's some cars where the clutch bites early near the bottom of the pedal travel, and there's some where it bites late, towards the top of the travel. the test car's clutch stuck out in my mind as having the most perfect bite point of any 911 i've ever tried. for those wondering, "my" GT2RS (the silver one in my photos) had 11,000+ kms on the clock.

can someone confirm whether the GT3RS is rose jointed? Preuninger clearly says in my video that the GT2RS has rose jointed suspension. if this car is that way, and the GT3RS uses more rubber in the suspension, then that simply underlines what a hell of a job Porsche has done on the 2RS, for it to ride as well as it does.

as far as the power goes... ok, yes its obviously very fast. but truth be told, i don't think you can really notice the diff between a GT2 and this car at "sane" speeds on public roads. i actually attempted to do a 60-130 VBox run in the car, but the autobahn section I was on simply didn't allow that, unfortunately! it didn't feel much faster than a stock GT2, nor did it feel much slower than my RT12. which is simply to say that for cars at this level, my butt dyno isn't sensitive enough to tell the difference, given the limited driving conditions.

what i DID notice, is how healthy the torque curve is. from say, just below 3k RPM even in the higher gears, prodding the throttle results in a near instantaneous slug of torque. not saying that the car goes ballistic immediately, but you definitely feel nice quick pedal response, and virtually none of that "wait for it-- ah there's the boost" effect that you sometimes get with certain high output turbo motors.

Preuninger makes a lot out of how close this engine gets to the emotion of a normally aspirated motor. IMO its still quite a ways off from a sweet high revving motor in terms of pure feel, but... yes the motor in the GT2RS did somehow feel more "alive" or more... "alert" (?) than other turbocharged flat-sixes. its not a night & day thing though, vs the regular GT2's.

i can't comment on the handling unfortunately, for reasons already mentioned. the car steered just like a regular GT2 at the speeds we were driving at. so i can't with honesty say i felt the benefits of all the weight savings, as that sort of thing shows up on track or on a nice clear winding route.

in all other respects, the car is like a regular GT2. interior, exhaust note, etc. that's good or bad, depending on your POV.

so, to summarize (and i'm afraid there's nothing here you wouldn't already have read before):

PRO'S:

• drivability: lovely clutch feel, great torque curve
    • everyday usability: for a car designed for the track, and arguably better on-track than cars even a price class above it, it truly can live on the road w/o compromises (other than chin clearance)
    • power: basically you're top dog, unless you run into some crazy modded P-car, Lambo or GTR

CON'S:

• nothing on the inside to differentiate from lesser 911's (the two-tone scheme doesn't count in my book, as I'd never have my car with that);
    • power: half of the TS population seems to own some crazy modded P-car, Lambo, or other!

i also had the opportunity to attend a small tech briefing with Andreas Preuninger.  the session lasted almost 40 minutes and is in 3 parts below.  my apologies for a bit of camera shake, but i was using my small handheld camera.  please turn your speaker volume up to hear everything.

--
    '07 Cayenne TT '06 Ruf RT12 '06 GT3 '06 Jeep SRT8 '03 911 TT '99 MB E55 '98 Evo 5 '87 BMW M3

Re: My test drive of the new 997 GT2RS

Thanks - really appreciate the personal impressions of this much anticipated car

--

RT Moderator 
    - 997.1 Carrera S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Rennteam signature photo 2.jpg

Great write-up! great to read some personal impressions about this car.

And the video of the brieffing was very interesting. Very interesting on how the project started. Also interesting how they did not mention the technical difficulty of using the PDK with this Metzler engine as one of the reasons for choosing the manual over the PDK Smiley

Thanks for sharing Smiley

--

Thank you very much for the article and videos. Those inside commentaries alone would convince me of that product.

Would the modifications be reason enough for you to change?

Carlos from Spain:

Also interesting how they did not mention the technical difficulty of using the PDK with this Metzler engine as one of the reasons for choosing the manual over the PDK Smiley

--

my theory... and this is purely a theory... is that even if Andreas and his team wanted to put PDK on the car, they would not be able to for budget reasons.

easy to keep in mind that the 997 platform is at the end of its life, and no significant investments into that platform would be made at this point.  all these new models-- GTS, Speedster, GT2RS-- the amount of new tooling and R&D required to come out with these are IMO relatively small.

the new tooling and testing required to mate the PDK to the Metzger block however, would NOT be minor.  and i believe that investment-- if it is coming at all-- is reserved for the next 911.

you can imagine how that presentation to the Board went for the GT2RS.

Andreas: "this is the car we want to build.  we can build it with minimal additional expenditure (as we've just been using the leftover GT2 programme budget, and look at how far we've come).  we can use this car to stick it to Nissan."

Board: "ok, go ahead.  BUT REMEMBER:  no additional spending!"

so while i actually DO believe Andreas when he says that they wanted to keep the car "pure", hence no PDK... i also think that even if he wanted to put the PDK box in... he wouldn't have been able to.

again, purely my theory...

--
    '07 Cayenne TT '06 Ruf RT12 '06 GT3 '06 Jeep SRT8 '03 911 TT '99 MB E55 '98 Evo 5 '87 BMW M3

OTOH if Porsche intended to keep the Metzger engine for another generation why not invest in the PDK marriage beforehand, introduce this mating in their tour de force, the GT2 RS and, as always,  leave some margin for further development in 991. PDK would have given the RS an air of modernity in its engineering on par with the most recent Ferrari, on top of the performance benefits.

For me, the reason they haven't  invested seems to be that the days of the GT1 engine are numbered. Somewhere in Weissach its successor is being tested and evaluated for some time now.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

OTOH if Porsche intended to keep the Metzger engine for another generation why not invest in the PDK marriage beforehand, introduce this mating in their tour de force, the GT2 RS and, as always,  leave some margin for further development in 991. PDK would have given the RS an air of modernity in its engineering on par with the most recent Ferrari, on top of the performance benefits.

For me, the reason they haven't  invested seems to be that the days of the GT1 engine are numbered. Somewhere in Weissach its successor is being tested and evaluated for some time now.

yes, that also sounds very plausible indeed.

--

Both make sense, definately the R&D cost for integrating the PDK on the Metzler engine for such a limited car does not make sense cost wise, and the fact that this engine has its days numbered would also not help that equation since the R&D used would not pay iself in future applications.

What I found interesting is that he made no mention of this difficulty (PDK is not compatible with the GT2RS Metzler engine so its not a simple bolt on job) as one of the reasons. 

--

Great review - many thanks Smiley

In essence you confirm what I also believe (did not drive the RS yet, though): the GT2RS is just a FL of the regular GT2. I still love the RS as the GT2 Mk1 is already the best car on the planet - and the RS will be slightly (!) better in many categories SmileySmileySmiley

On the other hand I think that many buyers of the RS will have a very negative surprise... From what I hear not too few RS buyers ordered the car as they thought that the RS is a "rare", "very special" car. In reality is just a normal GT2 - with some refinement over vs. Mk1.

Just enough for me, though Smiley

hesperus:

power: basically you're top dog, unless you run into some crazy modded P-car, Lambo or GTR 

Even those highly modded cars will be "killed" on each and every track Smiley

Please allow me one more question: did they offer you the test drive to convince you to order a GT2RS? Or did you already place an order and just wanted to do a pre-test. Many thanks Smiley 

hesperus:
    my theory... and this is purely a theory... is that even if Andreas and his team wanted to put PDK on the car, they would not be able to for budget reasons.

easy to keep in mind that the 997 platform is at the end of its life, and no significant investments into that platform would be made at this point.  all these new models-- GTS, Speedster, GT2RS-- the amount of new tooling and R&D required to come out with these are IMO relatively small.

the new tooling and testing required to mate the PDK to the Metzger block however, would NOT be minor.  and i believe that investment-- if it is coming at all-- is reserved for the next 911.

you can imagine how that presentation to the Board went for the GT2RS.

Andreas: "this is the car we want to build.  we can build it with minimal additional expenditure (as we've just been using the leftover GT2 programme budget, and look at how far we've come).  we can use this car to stick it to Nissan."

Board: "ok, go ahead.  BUT REMEMBER:  no additional spending!"

so while i actually DO believe Andreas when he says that they wanted to keep the car "pure", hence no PDK... i also think that even if he wanted to put the PDK box in... he wouldn't have been able to.

again, purely my theory...

Good theory...I guess. Smiley Smiley Smiley

Thanks for sharing your experience, it is greatly appreciated. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

MKSGR:

Please allow me one more question: did they offer you the test drive to convince you to order a GT2RS? Or did you already place an order and just wanted to do a pre-test. Many thanks Smiley 

neither!

i'm a part-time motoring journalist (i.e., i do it for fun).  and i have a good relationship with the Porsche importer in my country.

so i get to test the car for free, and then write something about it that comes out in local publications which helps give the new model(s) exposure.

he is happy.  i am happy.  Smiley

--

What a fantastic part-time pursuit!

Great write up,pics and videos!

Really thanks!!!Smiley

--
    997 TT, what a car/che'mmmmmaghena!!!

hesperus:
    MKSGR:

neither!

i'm a part-time motoring journalist (i.e., i do it for fun).  and i have a good relationship with the Porsche importer in my country.

so i get to test the car for free, and then write something about it that comes out in local publications which helps give the new model(s) exposure.

That sounds like a great experience SmileySmileySmiley 

that's a great insight into the GT2RS.   Thanks for making & sharing.

--

Great impressive insights!

Thank you for the post!

hesperus:

You lucky, jammy guy Smiley Smiley Smiley

I hope Buddhism is true because I want to be reincarnated as you next time round Smiley Smiley

--

RT Moderator 
    - 997.1 Carrera S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Rennteam signature photo 2.jpg

Super Darius:

Great write up,pics and videos!

Really thanks!!!Smiley

+1

Marcus

Following the excellent video and Hesperus's probing questions about retrofitting the RS's special suspension I have been doing some research since I decided to forgo the RS (for the reasons you imply) and modify my GT2 with the bits I want

I enjoyed what Preuninger said about tightening up the rear axle to cope with the torque and making the car more controllable so this is the area I have been looking into.

I have a set of B16 Damptronics coming so the shocks are covered.

The front linkages, bushings etc are the same in the GT2 as in the GT3 which in turn are different to the 997 turbo but share one part with the 996GT3 - it is this set up which I think gives the GT2 such exceptional stability at high speed.

The rear axle set up (forgetting shocks) on the GT2 (and GT3)  is the same as on the turbo and amazingly (for me anyway ) the exact same as on the regular 997 Carrera

So we are putting 690+NM through linkages and bushings which also handle 3XXNM. Now of course Porsche engineering is such that the whole linkage/bushing set up is overengineered but it certainly makes Preuningers (and his colleague's) statement about solidifying the rear end seem a very credible and obvious thing to do and really I for one would have expected them to have done it first time round when they developed the GT3/2......

So I am currently looking at motorsport rear wishbone, Tarret track rods and the link (dog bone) kits which I know turbo owners rave about....

I am going to spend sometime looking through Can's comprehensive suspension thread now I have realised the similarities between the turbo/GT2....

I have requested a copy of the PET from my Porsche parts guy but he is still a little sore that I didn't want the RS

--

2009 997 GT2

TB993tt:

Marcus

Following the excellent video and Hesperus's probing questions about retrofitting the RS's special suspension I have been doing some research since I decided to forgo the RS (for the reasons you imply) and modify my GT2 with the bits I want

SmileySmileySmiley

Fantastic post, thanks for your write-up. Also i loved the videos, superb insiders stuff

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

i'm also wondering how / if the new N2 rubber on the rears will work with a GT3 RS ...

--

after reading this great experiance, i am asking me more and more if the gt2 rs would be worth to replace the regular gt2.

Having now 20 000 km on my gt2 (witch is actually not that mutch (12 500 miles) im asking myself what do i get more from the gt2 rs.

I think in the end is as already said it is just a litlle difference

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky The moment I've been waiting for... 5/18/22 6:36 PM
    Pilot

628077 1306
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 8/6/22 1:00 AM
    W8MM
    263952 1183
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 9/29/22 1:21 AM
    watt
    158323 1169
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 9/14/22 9:50 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    149667 417
    Porsche Sticky Porsche Taycan Turbo S - Short Review 8/10/22 8:51 PM
    WhoopsyM
    131248 538
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 1/15/22 10:41 PM
    watt
    67331 1
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 9/14/22 7:36 AM
    GnilM
    2575 18
    Porsche Cayman GT4 10/5/21 7:04 PM