Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

AMV8 in EVO Magazine

Thanks to fanch for pointing it out. If anyone gets this issue please scan it for the rest of us, at least in the U.S.. It takes a few weeks to get here .

Re: AMV8 in EVO Magazine

Ron,
    I've been to my local newsagents today and they still have last months issue. As soon as I get my hands on the new one, I'll scan it. The base 911 vs Boxster S comparison is meant to be very interesting, according to some of the guys in the UK that already have the magazine.

Thanks much .

Quote:
    Ron (Houston) said:
    Thanks to fanch for pointing it out. If anyone gets this issue please scan it for the rest of us, at least in the U.S.. It takes a few weeks to get here .

i see you have the same problem... i wonder if you can get it faster if you subscribe tot he magazine?

i usually goto barnes and noble to buy these magazines, and they usually only get the the 20th~ of the month.

like a november magazine will only be availbie around the 20th of november, by which time, most of the information as been ont he web for a LONG time...

Quote:
    Moogle said:
    Quote:
    Ron (Houston) said:

i see you have the same problem... i wonder if you can get it faster if you subscribe tot he magazine?

i usually goto barnes and noble to buy these magazines, and they usually only get the the 20th~ of the month.

like a november magazine will only be availbie around the 20th of november, by which time, most of the information as been ont he web for a LONG time...

In NYC, one can find the various Brit car mags during first wk-10 days of mth at major news-stands like Union Square Mags....B&N/Borders tend to be lame for finding tougher-to-get mags in a timely fashion....

Yup, this sounds like a must-buy:

068 Aston V8 Vantage
    Richard Meaden brings us the full development story of the stunning new Aston Martin V8 Vantage; from the snowy climes of Sweden to the baking sun of Dubai, the frantic twists of the Nürburgring to the eery calm of Nardo, we take you on the V8 Vantage's journey from drawing board to production reality. Meaden also gets an extensive ride in the hand-built final prototype in full production trim with engineering boss Chris Porritt. They hadn't expected us to turn up in a Porsche 911, but it's the perfect car against which to judge the Aston's phenomenal pace and iron-fisted composure

Bit of a write up of the V8 at The Times Online

Thanks Atlantis

AMV8 in EVO Magazine

This one is on Autocar.com

http://www.autocar.co.uk/news_article.asp?na_id=213381

Autoexpress also has an article on the AMV8 today, with some cool pictures (literally ) from northern Sweden:
    Autoexpress AMV8

Thanks temm .

Here is the article.

Less than a year after launching the acclaimed DB9, Aston Martin is poised to release its next world-beater: the V8 Vantage.

Conceived as a rival to Porsche's 911, the V8 vantage is entering the final stages of an exhaustive two-year development program.

This has seen prototypes cover a total of two million miles, in locations as diverse as the scorching heat of Dubai, the freezing cold of Sweden and the punishing Nürburgring circuit in Germany.

Set for its official unveiling at the Geneva Motor Show in March, and released to the press for driving appraisal in the summer, it's no surprise that few outsiders have seen the car in the metal, and fewer still have experienced it from the cockpit. How-ever, Auto Express was given privileged behind-the-scenes access to one of the development prototypes, including a passenger ride with one of the company's senior development engineers. If you're a sports car fan, the early news is very good indeed.

Built using the same innovative aluminum chassis technology as the DB9, the V8 Vantage is much smaller and lighter, its short wheelbase and wide track giving it a suitably muscular, broad-shouldered stance.

Although it is the same size as Porsche's latest 997-generation 911, the Aston's minimal front and rear overhangs mean it appears more compact, while a rakish windscreen and low roof- line add to its aggressive appearance. When it starts up, that aggression erupts from the pair of exhaust pipes with a deep V8 bark, a sound leaving you in no doubt that the Vantage is a sharp, potent sports car unlike anything Aston has ever built before.
    A strict two-seater, the Vantage will be launched with a six-speed manual transmission, and is powered by a 4.3-litre V8. Apart from its basic block, which is derived from a Jaguar V8, the Vantage's motor is entirely Aston, from the internal components to the design of the cylinder heads.

Official figures are yet to be released, but the engine is believed to develop around 380bhp, with a torque figure to match.

From the passenger seat, the engine delivers vivid performance as well as a truly magnificent soundtrack. It is sharp, responsive and loves to be worked hard, pulling with increasing vigor as the revs pile on.

That it also feels refined and happy lower down in the range is ample proof the car is as comfortable in everyday traffic as it is on the open road. Top speed is claimed to exceed 175mph, with a 0-60mph time of five seconds.

As you'd hope from a car aimed directly at the 911, the Vantage is supremely grippy and agile. The suspension is firm and taut, but there's just enough suppleness to absorb the sharp edges from road imperfections.

This sporting bias pays dividends on fast, open A and B roads, where the Vantage feels incredibly sharp and secure and displays sufficient poise to impress even the most loyal Porsche fan.

It's hard to judge which would be quicker, but the front-mid-engined V8 Vantage's superior balance should ensure it's easier and more forgiving than the rear-engined Porsche.

In keeping with Aston's exclusivity, production of the V8 Vantage will be limited to 3,000 cars per year, almost 10 times less than the number of 911s made annually. Pricing is not yet confirmed, but Aston insiders say it will be in the region of Pounds70,000.

While the low production volumes ensure Porsche won't lose too much sleep, the fact the 911's dynamic superiority is under threat must be cause for concern. We'll have to wait six months to see first hand just how good the Aston is, but judging by this preview, our patience will be handsomely rewarded.

Not good when they mention the 911 almost more times than the AMV8 itself in its own review

Also, if derived from the Jaguar 4.2 V8, then 380HP would mean its supercharged and not an N/A engine or at least turbocharged... not very sporty, its basically the Jaguar XKR's engine

I agree, they should stop mentioning 911 so much.

I certainly hope the base version is not supercharged. However, I know Jaguar/Ford racing can get very good hp out of the block in race trim in naturally aspirated form, so it might be possible. We'll see...

The Jaguar's 4.2 does only 300HP (and initially 280HP when introduced) in naturally aspirated form and used the blower to get up to 395HP, so I'm led to believe the 4.3 of the Aston not naturally aspirated if it produces 380HP

And judging by this picture of the Astons engine, it looks like it has a supercharger on top of it (the first thing I though when I saw it is how much it reminded me of the Jaguar XKR's 4.2 supercharged V8 before I even knew it was derived from that engine)

Exactly, and I read that it has over 400ft-lbs of torque, so it would have to be supercharged to get that...

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Not good when they mention the 911 almost more times than the AMV8 itself in its own review

Also, if derived from the Jaguar 4.2 V8, then 380HP would mean its supercharged and not an N/A engine or at least turbocharged... not very sporty, its basically the Jaguar XKR's engine

The car was built to compete with the 911. They should mention it and often. The issue for the buyers will be do I go with the mass produced 911 or the limited production AMV8 which I suspect will not be as agile as the 911. I will wager the AM will sell out and have a long waiting list.

Quote:
    nberry said:I will wager the AM will sell out and have a long waiting list.

Just like new upscale restaurants that are hot for several months, then not?

I wish Aston well, but hope their dealers don't become over-confident. Otherwise that old Yogi Berra comment might happen; "Nobody goes there anymore; it's too crowded."

That's a good point,
    I think it all depends whether or not a potential client will be willing to wait up to two years to get a car, which however great it is, is not alone in its class, and knowing that client can get a 997 in less than three months, I know, not the same exclusivity but it all depends what one wants.
    Exclusivity comes at a price, long waiting list and very limited dealership network.

Lovely, so the Aston will be only 10K more than the new Jag XKR ???????

LOL at Fords product positioning scheme for their Presige Auto Group of Volvo/Aston/Jag/LR.

I like Astons, but seeing a Shaguar xkr V8 under the hood
    makes it the Un-Aston Aston.

Doesnt appear by the specs to be a competitor for any thing
    but Jags and Maseratis. Hair dye Ahoy !

If Aston wants to build a sports car instead of a fabulous 2 seat British Mustang GT, why not borrow the 300 NA HP compact Yamaha/Volvo/Ford V8 and stick it into a 2800lb mid engine sports car and offer a Turbo Vantage version of that with 430hp. Herr Bez, try building a Uber Elise/906 !

Anyone else notice the strip of Duct Tape holding the NAV screen down on the Astons dashboard?

Jim,
    Aston was originally developing a mid-engined car while Ford was developing their own in parellel. I believe the latter became the Ford GT.

However, Bez did not think an Aston should be mid-engined for a similar reason that the 911 isn't, and they left the project and started new with the AMV8.

- J

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part I) Thread Closed 9/24/20 12:47 AM
    watt
    606763 2849
    Porsche Sticky The moment I've been waiting for... 12/30/20 9:03 AM
    rhino

378442 1279
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 6/8/21 7:15 PM
    JR-550
    89384 1087
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 5/12/21 3:30 PM
    WhoopsyM
    47044 344
    Porsche Sticky ROAD TEST: New 992 Carrera 4S 3/3/21 10:57 PM
    Wonderbar
    36286 336
    Porsche Sticky Porsche Taycan Turbo S - Short Review 10/19/20 6:12 PM
    Leawood911
    34158 380
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 6/16/21 6:24 AM
    GnilM
    18729 389
    Porsche Sticky Porsche extends the Taycan model range (Taycan 2WD) 2/1/21 12:42 PM
    Leawood911
    5157 29
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 GT3 (2017) 7/27/20 2:13 AM
    DJM48
    575377 5257
    Porsche Cayman GT4 5/4/21 4:46 PM
    Topspeed
    431191 3586
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 4/25/21 4:04 PM
    Topspeed
    368595 3916
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017) 5/27/21 6:14 PM
    Topspeed
    368440 3495
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991.2 GT3 RS (2018) 4/28/21 12:26 PM
    W8MM
    330129 3252
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 12/8/20 7:51 PM
    DJM48
    311544 2646
    Porsche Tesla Roadster 9/23/20 8:22 PM
    bluelines
    241855 4279
    Porsche OFFICIAL: The new Porsche 992 – a design icon and high-tech sports car 2/28/21 8:05 PM
    Topspeed
    232641 1542
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Panamera (2016) 2/11/21 9:22 AM
    Itsme
    162608 1379
    Others Alfa Romeo 4C 9/23/20 10:22 AM
    RCA
    138919 792
    Porsche 992 GT3 6/17/21 5:11 PM
    bluelines
    135712 2601
    Lambo Lamborghini Huracan and variants 4/9/21 4:32 PM