Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Found this on the net...Carrera GT

I don't know if this has been published yet, so here it is (and my apologies if it has been published over here before):
    http://www.businessweek.com/autos/content/jun2006/bw20060608_466074.htm

This article also proves that the attorneys were checking internet forums like ours for proof and it also shows how you can find a flaw in just anything, you just have to use the right words to explain it.

Re: Found this on the net...Carrera GT

Quote:
    RC said:
    I don't know if this has been published yet, so here it is (and my apologies if it has been published over here before):
    http://www.businessweek.com/autos/content/jun2006/bw20060608_466074.htm

This article also proves that the attorneys were checking internet forums like ours for proof and it also shows how you can find a flaw in just anything, you just have to use the right words to explain it.

Sorry Christian you need more than right words. You need proof. The issue of whether cars have far outpaced driving skills and as result make the car and driver a hazard to the public is slowing ripening. The road to future high perf. cars is littered with potholes.

And what if someone asks "would they have been better off in the same situation driving a Golf Gti?"

How can this accident have anything to do with a potential flaw in the CGT design? Do they claim that Ben crashed because the CGT had a loose tail?
    As far as we have heard, the problem was the sudden entry of another car into the CGT's path.

This sounds like someone exercising their right to milk the system. Not exactly anyone's crusade to force car manufacturers to built safer cars and educate their customers better.

Nick, what is your take on this: The potholes u refer to, are those lawsuits lined up, you mean?

Quote:
    Dr. Phil said:
    And what if someone asks "would they have been better off in the same situation driving a Golf Gti?"

How can this accident have anything to do with a potential flaw in the CGT design? Do they claim that Ben crashed because the CGT had a loose tail?
    As far as we have heard, the problem was the sudden entry of another car into the CGT's path.

This sounds like someone exercising their right to milk the system. Not exactly anyone's crusade to force car manufacturers to built safer cars and educate their customers better.

Nick, what is your take on this: The potholes u refer to, are those lawsuits lined up, you mean?

As these cars become more powerful and driven "as they were meant to be driven" courts will be holding manufacturers accountable for placing a "dangerous product" into the stream of commerce. Obviously there will be many defenses to the claim but at some point car companies are going to ask themselves is it worth the exposure to entice drivers to buy cars which is beyond their abilities to drive.

For what possible reason would a manufacturer develop a car for US public roads that can go to 200mph and accelerate from 0-100mph in less than 10 sec.?

Quote:
    Dr. Phil said:

exactly.

Honestly, drive a pickup truck in the winter. I can be doing 35mph (10 mph under the speed limit) & be going around a turn, apply the gas normally, the truck spins out & I crash into a tree & die.

Whose fault is it? Chevy's for not having enough weight in bed of the truck for adequate traction? The township for not putting a warning sign on the curve of that road? Or for not cutting down trees to close to the road? The tire maker for making a tire that doesn't have enough grip in snow? The chevy dealer that sold me the truck because they didn't inform me that a 2wd pickup truck in snow handles is super tail happy?

Honestly. I really can't see how Porsche can be held liable for this.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    As these cars become more powerful and driven "as they were meant to be driven" courts will be holding manufacturers accountable for placing a "dangerous product" into the stream of commerce.

any vehicle can be dangerous if someone doesn't know how to drive it correctly

Say a soccer mom driving her FWD minivan i the rain loses front traction in a turn, & tries to accelerate more to gain traction. Obviously this doesn't work & she goes right into a tree....whose fault is that?

Quote:
    RC said:
    ...it also shows how you can find a flaw in just anything, you just have to use the right words to explain it.

I'm wondering when the first class action will be initiated against the Creator of life as nobody can deny that human life suffers from some inherent flaws also

The laws of some countries let people avoid taking responsability themselves, and make it legal to pass the lemon on to a third party.
    Sdy284, your example is exactly what I was getting at.
    And Jeck: Sadly you are right. If it hasnt already happened, someday someone will probably file a suit against their own mother for giving birth to them, hence exposing them to Life itself.

It's absurd, but I believe it's part of the growing "I WANT MORE"-culture.
    "I broke a nail. It must be somebody's fault! How can I make a fast buck on this?".

I dunno about other countries, but here in Denmark we have a rule when it comes to insurance policies, that insurance companies wont cover "domino-effects".
    An example: U drop a bowling ball on your 1500$ laptop. The laptop is covered.
    Unfortunately the laptop has a meltdown, and in the process by mistake sends an email to your boss. The email was a draft you never intended to send, since it would probably get you fired.
    The boss fires you, you have to sell your house and your wife -in her desparation - destroys your favourite baseball card worth 2000$.
    Etc etc..
    The first part (laptop) is covered, the rest isnt.

Seems to me that at least in the US you dont have that rule, which makes it open season on anyone. No matter who Porsche sells a car to, they could theoretically be held accountable for almost anything.

Some welcome this. Others dont.
    IMO we need to ask yourselves what the consequences of this will be in the long run.
    Will we get better or worse products? Will the manufacturers of any product only offer their most dull and conservative products out of fear they will get sued?
    Will producers eventually withdraw from certain markets, leaving people with fewer choices and higher prices as a consequence?

I remember a "60 minutes" report on (I believe) Mississippi doctors, who have to pay such outrageously high insurance premiums that most docs in this particular area had moved to different states, leaving citizens with a major problem.
    Why? So many people had found a hole in the law, making it possible to get a certain medication, and then sueing the doctor for possible damages from thid particular product and get big $$$$.
    People would buy and take the medication as a surefire way of getting $$$$.

There may be a lot of reason in making sure that a CGT buyer can actually handle the car.
    And people and companies should be held accountable for reckless actions or poor products.
    But making it possible to financially bury companies for selling their product to someone who chooses not to use the product correctly, or who doesnt have the skill to operate the product, is a sure way of killing initiative, innovation and anything that isnt wrapped in bubble plastic.

Just my 2 cents

I dont understand how Porsche is liable for what happened.At all.

If youre doing well over 100 mph and someone pulls in front of you, causing you to crash, how is that the manufacturers fault? Some of the allegations in that suit are farcical.

From a layman's perspective, it appears the event wasn't being run in a very strict, by the book manner. That or the Ferrari driver was negligent.

I do agree about that the barrier being moved wasn't a good idea.

Does anyone know if Rudl's insurance company paid out his policy?

Quote:
    "[...] Porsche should only be liable because this car was defective." But then he adds, "It is defective, however, if the risks of its design outweigh the benefits. If its power and handling characteristics make it too dangerous for the average driver without training or instruction, then it is defective. Porsche should be liable because it sold a defective vehicle [...]"

As sad as the incident has been, a general change in attitude towards fool-proof cars has been made already, US-American courts contributing to this issue by a significant extend. One can only wonder why carmakers can be accused of building a flawed or dangerous concept, while the industry of arms holds such a strong position that no complaints about potential threat occurs to the public.
    Granted, cars can be made safer to a certain extend, but I get the feeling that the general perception of cars has changed significantly. After all, they are still machines - and these can be dangerous. Improving operational safety might be - without doubt - senseful, on the other hand it might cause people to simplify the attitude to machines in general though.

Whether the CGT would have been better of with an extended amount of safety features, e.g. ESP, is a totally different issue. After all it leads to the question of attitude one should have when obtaining such a car. As a racecar for the street, it might be sad to see that this concept doesn't come out as intended for everyone.

Although I don't share their opinon, the reaction of the widow doesn't come surprising to me and can, to a certain extend, can be understood.

I would bet that the insurance company that held Rudl's policy declined to payout.

Otherwise, why would a widow want to go through this whole process of finding blame.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    For what possible reason would a manufacturer develop a car for US public roads that can go to 200mph and accelerate from 0-100mph in less than 10 sec.?

That is the same type of excuse used by those who seek to limit US citizen 2nd Ammendment rights. Afterall, who needs an AR15...and more to the topic at hand, who needs a 200mph car.

It's not about need. It's about freedom and liberty. With each goes responsibility.

well a 200mph car obviously wsa not developed for US public roads. You guys should electronically limit all your cars tothe posted speed limit at any point in time. A lot safer in the US? maybe but people would still manage to crash

McClellan says, "No, Porsche should only be liable because this car was defective." But then he adds, "It is defective, however, if the risks of its design outweigh the benefits. If its power and handling characteristics make it too dangerous for the average driver without training or instruction, then it is defective. Porsche should be liable because it sold a defective vehicle to Ben Keaton."

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part I) Thread Closed 9/24/20 12:47 AM
    watt
    582779 2849
    Porsche Sticky The moment I've been waiting for... 12/30/20 9:03 AM
    rhino

358483 1279
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/10/21 2:32 PM
    Joost
    86649 1085
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 5/8/21 9:11 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    44835 342
    Porsche Sticky ROAD TEST: New 992 Carrera 4S 3/3/21 10:57 PM
    Wonderbar
    35439 336
    Porsche Sticky Porsche Taycan Turbo S - Short Review 10/19/20 6:12 PM
    Leawood911
    33242 380
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/6/21 4:40 AM
    4trac
    16566 342
    Porsche Sticky Porsche extends the Taycan model range (Taycan 2WD) 2/1/21 12:42 PM
    Leawood911
    4470 29
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 GT3 (2017) 7/27/20 2:13 AM
    DJM48
    564289 5257
    Porsche Cayman GT4 5/4/21 4:46 PM
    Topspeed
    404449 3586
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 4/25/21 4:04 PM
    Topspeed
    357834 3916
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017) 4/29/21 7:24 AM
    GnilM
    354530 3494
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991.2 GT3 RS (2018) 4/28/21 12:26 PM
    W8MM
    315775 3252
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 12/8/20 7:51 PM
    DJM48
    310089 2646
    Porsche OFFICIAL: The new Porsche 992 – a design icon and high-tech sports car 2/28/21 8:05 PM
    Topspeed
    217557 1542
    Porsche Tesla Roadster 9/23/20 8:22 PM
    bluelines
    188908 4279
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Panamera (2016) 2/11/21 9:22 AM
    Itsme
    161196 1379
    Others Alfa Romeo 4C 9/23/20 10:22 AM
    RCA
    138266 792
    Porsche 992 GT3 5/7/21 4:00 AM