Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Porsche 991 Turbo/Turbo S - what questions do you have?

RC:

Heat isn't an issue anymore. The 991 Turbo/Turbo S engine has been strongly improved thermodynamically, the engine is completely new, even if it is BASED on the previous engine.

So the fuel injectors and the PDK are currently the two major issues tuners have to deal with. Something around 600 hp should always be possible, maybe 20 hp more with the right exhaust system.

Very interesting)) how did they cope with the heat?

I already shared way too much... angry

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S (Sept. 2013), Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

RC:

I already shared way too much... angry

Wht too much? the car is on the market already!!! Pls give ussome hibts. On this depends if we buy it!!!!

The car is NOT on the market yet and the press event hasn't happened either. I already said more than any press publication, so now I need to shut up. I agree, some people will order the car based on what they read on the internet but maybe Porsche still believes that the classic press is of more marketing value for them. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S (Sept. 2013), Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

RC:

The car is NOT on the market yet and the press event hasn't happened either. I already said more than any press publication, so now I need to shut up. I agree, some people will order the car based on what they read on the internet but maybe Porsche still believes that the classic press is of more marketing value for them. 

Christian,

we believe you)) all your info is very reasonable! Thanks)

I feel so sorry that I cannot post much more and in more detail but I think Porsche should understand that many buyers don't read classic car magazines anymore but gather a lot of information from the internet (Porsche website, car websites and car forums). I usually buy a car magazine related to "my" car only AFTER I actually got or ordered the car. Just saying... 

--

So RC, what is your perspective on exhaust upgrades for the TTS?  We all love a little more sonic medley than the non-sport exhaust stock options.  Will aftermarket tuners be able to improve performance and sound?  

Hank:

So RC, what is your perspective on exhaust upgrades for the TTS?  We all love a little more sonic medley than the non-sport exhaust stock options.  Will aftermarket tuners be able to improve performance and sound?  

Yes. Smiley Don't expect more than 15-20 hp without proper ECU adjustments though (which I wouldn't do).

Good sound and a couple of horses more should be possible without touching the ECU programming, which is good.

There could be warranty issues of course but if you choose a high quality exhaust with high quality cats and if your favorite Porsche dealer is doing the install...well... Smiley

I heard that Porsche was considering a titanium exhaust for the 991 Turbo S but despite the weight saving, the sound wasn't too different, so they let it go. I am pretty sure however that Akrapovici or Cargraphic will take care of a better sound, in the US there will be enough offers too. Just make sure to go with HIGH QUALITY exhausts. They usually start at over 3-4k USD/EUR for the 911 Turbo, sometimes up to 5-6k USD/EUR.

--

Thanks RC I get it;better sound good, ECU tuning bad.  devil

Hank:

Thanks RC I get it;better sound good, ECU tuning bad.  devil

Smiley

--

Hi RC -- when do you expect the Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyre to be "N rated" in the right sizes for the 991 Turbo S?

Now that the Carrera GT has Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres approved in N0 specification, I assume there will be further sizes approved for the Porsche 911 range in due course...

Smiley SmileySmiley

Boxster Coupe GTS:

Hi RC -- when do you expect the Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyre to be "N rated" in the right sizes for the 991 Turbo S?

Now that the Carrera GT has Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres approved in N0 specification, I assume there will be further sizes approved for the Porsche 911 range in due course...

Smiley SmileySmiley

Right now, it seems no Michelin tire is yet approved, so... Smiley

The only UHP tire approved for the new 991 Turbo/Turbo S is the Dunlop (same as on the GT3), the standard 991 Turbo/Turbo S tire right now seems to be the Pirelli PZero only (for now).

This information is about three weeks old, so maybe it changed.

--

The turbo comes with rear park assist as standard. I heard of a rear view Camara coming too is this true? Do you need a combination of front and rear park assist (optional on the non S) to get this ?

--

2014 991 Turbo (on order, Nov Prod)
    2012 991 C2S w/Fabspeed SOLD
    2011 Ferrari 458 Italia Rosso Mondiale / cuoio
    2011 Turbo S Cab SOLD
    2010 BMW AH7 
    2010 Caddy Escalade
    2006 Cayman S First P car, SOLD

Cocodrilo:

The turbo comes with rear park assist as standard. I heard of a rear view Camara coming too is this true? Do you need a combination of front and rear park assist (optional on the non S) to get this ?

Rear view camera IS coming, I saw a Turbo (not S) equipped with it and it worked pretty well. The reason for the delay is unfortunate and Porsche is NOT to blame for it (long story) but the camera will be available and as far as I heard, they are thinking about offering a Tequipment retrofit kit to calm down the complaints of those who couldn't get one on the first car(s). Apparently the wiring is already there if you get park assist, so it shouldn't be too complicated.

To my knowledge, the Turbo does NOT come with park assist as standard, at least not in Germany. I am also not aware that there is an option of a rear (without front) park assist only.

--

For Latin America markets the rear park assist is standard. I saw it in the "confidential" OEM equipment list. It was confidential because it showed the cabrio options too angry. As much as wanted a copy they didn't let me. To get the front park assist was an additional $900 which to me did not make too much sense unless this extra provides the camara, hence my query.

--

2011 Turbo S Cab SOLD
    2010 BMW AH7 
    2010 Caddy Escalade

Cocodrilo:

For Latin America markets the rear park assist is standard. I saw it in the "confidential" OEM equipment list. It was confidential because it showed the cabrio options too angry. As much as wanted a copy they didn't let me. To get the front park assist was an additional $900 which to me did not make too much sense unless this extra provides the camara, hence my query.

This is really weird because I checked various country options and none had the park assist as standard and the optional park assist is always front AND rear combined. Smiley Sounds like some sort of an error to me...

--

RC:
    Cocodrilo:

This is really weird because I checked various country options and none had the park assist as standard and the optional park assist is always front AND rear combined. Smiley Sounds like some sort of an error to me...

RC, please check region code C35 .... its there.... rear PA standard.

--

2011 Turbo S Cab SOLD
    2010 BMW AH7 
    2010 Caddy Escalade

OK, now I got it: Park assist in the rear is standard on the Turbo and Turbo S.

ParkAssist (frontal y trasero...front and rear) is optional.

Right now, ParkAssist (frontal y trasero) does not include the rear view camera. It should however be available after week 45 (which should be OK for your order since you order a Turbo and not a Turbo S).

Your dealer needs to make sure he orders the rear view camera as soon as it is available or at least he should be careful when it is available, so he can add it to the order.

--

RC, what is the process to get the rear view camera upgrade installed on the first batch of Turbo S'?  Mine is an October build with a December 13th, available date.  Of course, my dealer says that it will probably be here before that date but that is the date on the commission report.  

RC:

Your dealer needs to make sure he orders the rear view camera as soon as it is available or at least he should be careful when it is available, so he can add it to the order.

Thanks RC. I though the camera would come by default as there is no "camera" option on the list. Question is, does it come only if the optional front+rear is chosen, or will it come with the rear assist?

I really dont need the camera, but its a nice option to have if it comes standard. 

--

2011 Turbo S Cab SOLD
    2010 BMW AH7 
    2010 Caddy Escalade

It is code 638 and cost 1011,50€ for Turbo(because it add front sensors) and 654,50€ for Turbo S(which have front sensors as standard). All prices are for Germany with Mwst.

Rea-view camera on a 911 Turbo?... If one needs that, one should wait for the 991.2 Turbo with PIPAS (Porsche Intelligent Parking Assist System).

Hi RC -- do you know how the "camera-based road sign warning" and "speed limit recognition" options will operate on the 991 Turbo S?

Do you think these new options will be as useful as the "safety camera alerts" on the old TomTom sat navs?

Thanks again! 

Smiley

Hank:

RC, what is the process to get the rear view camera upgrade installed on the first batch of Turbo S'?  Mine is an October build with a December 13th, available date.  Of course, my dealer says that it will probably be here before that date but that is the date on the commission report.  

I only heard that there might be a rear view camera kit available through Tequipment but I doubt it is going to be available this year. I don't know if a retrofit without a proper kit will be possible but it should be. Still doubting the availability of the necessary parts (for a retrofit) in 2013 though.

--

pierre:

Rea-view camera on a 911 Turbo?... If one needs that, one should wait for the 991.2 Turbo with PIPAS (Porsche Intelligent Parking Assist System).

Wait until you see the wide rear of the new 991 Turbo/Turbo S. Smiley A rear camera can be useful.

Truth is however that you don't really need it but it helps, especially on a daily driver.

--

Boxster Coupe GTS:

Hi RC -- do you know how the "camera-based road sign warning" and "speed limit recognition" options will operate on the 991 Turbo S?

Do you think these new options will be as useful as the "safety camera alerts" on the old TomTom sat navs?

Thanks again! 

Smiley

I don't have a clue. Never been interested in this stuff because I pay attention to traffic and traffic signs and if someone doesn't see a speed limit sign or other traffic sign, next time maybe he doesn't see the little boy running on the street to catch his play ball. 

For the very same reason, I didn't order the Adaptive Cruise Control, I always want to be in control for various reasons, including keeping my distance to traffic in front of me and of course braking.

--

RC:
    Boxster Coupe GTS:

Thanks again! 

Smiley

I don't have a clue. Never been interested in this stuff because I pay attention to traffic and traffic signs and if someone doesn't see a speed limit sign or other traffic sign, next time maybe he doesn't see the little boy running on the street to catch his play ball. 

For the very same reason, I didn't order the Adaptive Cruise Control, I always want to be in control for various reasons, including keeping my distance to traffic in front of me and of course braking.

So progress is only OKAY for PDK autoboxes. If we prefer manuals and driver involvement we are helpless nerds stuck in the past (at best). 

Safety items and gizzmos like adaptive cruise are not important to you although you are most fond of gadgets and safety is your prime reason for N series tires.  Your strong opinions are, at times, not consistent.

Given the speed of the Turbo that safety items would rank as important as getting there .1 sec faster especially if they are the way of the 'future'. 

i would like to ask a few questions 

the 911 is my favourite car on the market , i love the gt3 but i really want to love the turbo , i just cant .

i know the turbo is supposed to be a liveable super car , and i appreciate the levels of comfort  i really do , the problem ive seen with the previous 2 turbo generations , is that it cannot transform the comfortable cruiser into a track car , ive driven the mp4-12 c and it does it perfectly , the comfort mode makes the car unbelievably serene and soft , to the point where you think you're driving a bentley , the sport mode transforms the car further into a one that has the perfect balance for road use , but the crucial one is the track mode  , which turns the car into a monster , one that isnt as involving as a 458 italia , but has a true sense of involvement. Unlike other people , i dont mistake involvement for noise , im talking about the steering , and the steering alone. It doesn't change accordingly. maybe its the weight , I'm sure thats a huge factor , porsche really needs to make the car lighter. 

1. why cant the turbo be lighter ?

2.The 911 turbos acceleration has always been its selling point , in which case why hasn't more been done to improve upon the 997 turbo s ?

3. what is the future for the 911 turbo , is it going to be a gt car from now on ?

Leawood911:

Safety items and gizzmos like adaptive cruise are not important to you although you are most fond of gadgets and safety is your prime reason for N series tires.  Your strong opinions are, at times, not consistent.

Given the speed of the Turbo that safety items would rank as important as getting there .1 sec faster especially if they are the way of the 'future'. 

You actually make a good point. Yes, I love gadgets. Yes, I would love to have stuff to play with in my new 991 Turbo S, like for example some sort of information display for engine/transmission status and other technical stuff. I do not like however drive assist systems, cannot say why. What I hate most is actually head-up displays. Had one in my BMW X5M, turned it off after a couple of tries, it distracts way too much. Whenever I drive my wife's car, I turn off the head-up display because it annoys me. Weird, isn't it? Especially for someone like me who is totally into new gadgetry. 

--

jacksparrow:

i would like to ask a few questions 

the 911 is my favourite car on the market , i love the gt3 but i really want to love the turbo , i just cant .

i know the turbo is supposed to be a liveable super car , and i appreciate the levels of comfort  i really do , the problem ive seen with the previous 2 turbo generations , is that it cannot transform the comfortable cruiser into a track car , ive driven the mp4-12 c and it does it perfectly , the comfort mode makes the car unbelievably serene and soft , to the point where you think you're driving a bentley , the sport mode transforms the car further into a one that has the perfect balance for road use , but the crucial one is the track mode  , which turns the car into a monster , one that isnt as involving as a 458 italia , but has a true sense of involvement. Unlike other people , i dont mistake involvement for noise , im talking about the steering , and the steering alone. It doesn't change accordingly. maybe its the weight , I'm sure thats a huge factor , porsche really needs to make the car lighter. 

1. why cant the turbo be lighter ?

The new 991 Turbo S is actually 26kg lighter than the old one...if you forget about the new all-wheel-steering, the standard PDCC and the wider body. To make the car lighter and keep the same safety standards would require the usage of certain light weight compound materials which would make it even more expensive.

2.The 911 turbos acceleration has always been its selling point , in which case why hasn't more been done to improve upon the 997 turbo s?

Improving the 0-100 kph (0-60 mph) acceleration is very difficult since the stress on the involved mechanical parts is huge. The best time for the "old" 997 Turbo S I ever saw was 3.0 seconds from 0-100 kph. The average time was 3.2-3.3 seconds as far as I remember. The new 991 Turbo S will do 0-100 kph in 2.9 to 3.1 seconds, these are the times achieved during development testing.

The best 0-200 kph (125 mph) time I saw for the old 997 Turbo S was 10.3 seconds. The average time was around 10.5 seconds. The new 991 Turbo S will have a 0-200 kph acceleration time of 9.7 to 10.3 seconds (development values). I think the difference between the "old" Turbo S and the new one is pretty obvious. From 0-300 kph, the difference is even bigger, in the "couple of seconds" range.

If you are falling for Nissan's latest gen GT-R advertisement: Sport Auto specifically tested TWO different latest gen GT-R, just to make a point and both cars did 0-100 kph in 3.4 seconds. Case closed.

Even better: The british Autocar magazine tested the new 991 Turbo S and McLaren MP4-12C one next to each other and up to 90 mph, the McLaren lost vs. the Turbo S. Of course the McLaren would eventually be faster over 90 mph but this car not only costs a little bit more, it also isn't as usable as the 991 Turbo S as a daily driver. Winter time in Bavaria in a MP4-12C? Forget about it. Smiley

3. what is the future for the 911 turbo , is it going to be a gt car from now on ?

This GT car is faster on the Nordschleife than the new 991 GT3 with the same tires (Dunlop UHP). What are you talking about? Smiley Smiley With the Dunlops, which btw. are officially approved for the new 991 Turbo S too, the Turbo S does the Nordschleife in 7:24 min., the GT3 in 7:25. 

Of course the GT3 is still the better track car because after a couple of rounds, the additional weight of the 991 Turbo S will take it's toll on the tires and brakes (considering that both cars run on the same tires and with the same PCCB brake system) but I think that for the occasional track fun, the 991 Turbo S will impress a lot of people. Especially since it is easier drivable than the GT3.

The 911 Turbo has never been your typical track car in the Porsche 911 model line. The 911 Turbo has always been some sort of a hybrid, a mixture of a GT, super sports and occasional track fun car. If you can live with that, you are going to be a very happy owner. If you are spending more time on the track than with your family, the 991 Turbo S is the wrong car for you.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    742015 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    427277 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    257979 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    253040 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    76942 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5087 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

866328 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    796754 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM