Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread


    Re: The result of IPD Plenum + Exhaust

    What I don't understand is why neither Cargraphic or Ruf powerkits - any level - have a replacement plenum in them

    For example the 650bhp Ruf package has: Fine tuned engine electronics, sports air filter, conversion of exhaust with 4 round 76 mm end tips and sports catalytic converters, 2 turbo chargers in exchange, titanium connecting rods, 3.8 litre cylinder capacity, transmission oil cooler and stronger limited slip differential for 6 speed manual transmission, stronger clutch.

    Re: The result of IPD Plenum + Exhaust

    Quote:
    Alex_ said:
    What I don't understand is why neither Cargraphic or Ruf powerkits - any level - have a replacement plenum in them

    For example the 650bhp Ruf package has: Fine tuned engine electronics, sports air filter, conversion of exhaust with 4 round 76 mm end tips and sports catalytic converters, 2 turbo chargers in exchange, titanium connecting rods, 3.8 litre cylinder capacity, transmission oil cooler and stronger limited slip differential for 6 speed manual transmission, stronger clutch.



    I think many tuners might stay away from promoting the Plenum for one reason: If the plenum does really provide such H.P. at such low price, many might just spend $1K and think that, this is all the extra H.P. they need and not spend another penny on anything else which translates to loss of profit for the tuners selling expensive upgrades. Gents don't shoot me it is pure specualtion on my part.

    Re: The result of IPD Plenum + Exhaust

    Quote:
    edz61 said:
    Quote:
    Alex_ said:
    What I don't understand is why neither Cargraphic or Ruf powerkits - any level - have a replacement plenum in them

    For example the 650bhp Ruf package has: Fine tuned engine electronics, sports air filter, conversion of exhaust with 4 round 76 mm end tips and sports catalytic converters, 2 turbo chargers in exchange, titanium connecting rods, 3.8 litre cylinder capacity, transmission oil cooler and stronger limited slip differential for 6 speed manual transmission, stronger clutch.



    I think many tuners might stay away from promoting the Plenum



    But Cargraphic promote it as a separate upgrade. They just don't have it in any powerkit

    Re: The result of IPD Plenum + Exhaust

    Alex: I know where you are coming from but trust me on this I see the difference and I love it.

    Re: The result of IPD Plenum + Exhaust

    I think the majority of what difference you see on your car is probably the result of the exhaust which reduces 50% of the back-pressure.

    I am very interested in the plenum upgrade but something just doesn't add up for me.

    I will grill CG next week on this.

    Re: The result of IPD Plenum + Exhaust

    Quote:
    Alex_ said:
    I think the majority of what difference you see on your car is probably the result of the exhaust which reduces 50% of the back-pressure.

    I am very interested in the plenum upgrade but something just doesn't add up for me.

    I will grill CG next week on this.



    You have to follow your heart my friend. I think what I feel is the exhaust/plenum combo and with one of them only I would have not noticed as much difference as I do now.

    Re: The result of IPD Plenum + Exhaust

    Ed,

    I have just come to the exact same conclusion. Now that I've done some listening, I realize EVEN the stock car for example has higher frequency humm, very small in volume but there & most likely a resonance, at around 2500 to 3000 when throttle is applied in a certain way, with car at some combination of speed/gear.

    In after market exhausts this noise is louder. I guess how problematic it is depends on how loud it gets, if it becomes a physical buzzing, & how persistent it is. In talking to owners with after-market exhaust and in direct listening, I have heard the following comment more than once: "There is a noise here that will go away if you select a different gear." I am still learning, but suspect that all 3 systems I am considering, AWE, Cargraphic, and Tubi, have some component of this.

    Quote:
    edz61 said:

    Trust me on this and I don't care who says what all hi performance exhausts have a thing I call annoying point at a certain RPM.




    Re: The result of IPD Plenum + Exhaust

    Can: You are right stock exhausts have issues too. The problem is that we look for problems when we modify our cars. A stock car despite the flaws it might have, we tend to dimiss all it's issues thinking oh well that's the way the car is, the way it was built and the way it should be

    Re: The result of IPD Plenum + Exhaust

    Can: You are right stock exhausts have issues too. The problem is that we look for problems when we modify our cars. A stock car despite the flaws it might have, we tend to dimiss all it's issues thinking oh well that's the way the car is, the way it was built and the way it should be

    Re: The result of IPD Plenum + Exhaust

    Alex (or anyone),

    Please post what you find. I am planning to add the plenum. These pictures and posts, and positive users' reports, are too much for me to resist.

    But I am curious: Has the effectiveness of the plenum been proven one way or another by a third party? It seems to be such a simple test.

    Quote:
    edz61 said:
    Quote:
    Alex_ said:
    I think the majority of what difference you see on your car is probably the result of the exhaust which reduces 50% of the back-pressure.

    I am very interested in the plenum upgrade but something just doesn't add up for me.

    I will grill CG next week on this.



    You have to follow your heart my friend. I think what I feel is the exhaust/plenum combo and with one of them only I would have not noticed as much difference as I do now.


    Re: The result of IPD Plenum + Exhaust

    Alex, and everyone else: For those poeple who have ONLY installed an After Market Exhaust, can anyone say the felt a difference in Power??? Hearing the difference and the engine revving more freely are easily noticable, but can anyone say the exhaust only made the car feel faster?

    Quote:
    edz61 said:
    Quote:
    Alex_ said:
    I think the majority of what difference you see on your car is probably the result of the exhaust which reduces 50% of the back-pressure.

    I am very interested in the plenum upgrade but something just doesn't add up for me.

    I will grill CG next week on this.



    You have to follow your heart my friend. I think what I feel is the exhaust/plenum combo and with one of them only I would have not noticed as much difference as I do now.


    Re: The result of IPD Plenum + Exhaust

    Can, you ask for a 3rd party:

    1st Party = GotBoost? @ 6speed
    2nd Party = Ed
    and the 3rd party = ME!!!!!




    Quote:
    cannga said:
    Alex (or anyone),

    Please post what you find. I am planning to add the plenum. These pictures and posts, and positive users' reports, are too much for me to resist.

    But I am curious: Has the effectiveness of the plenum been proven one way or another by a third party? It seems to be such a simple test.
    Quote:

    Re: The result of IPD Plenum + Exhaust

    Call Greg with RSS and he has all the info from last week when they dynoed a stock car with Plenum at a different shop and not stuttgart performance.

    Re: The result of IPD Plenum + Exhaust

    Quote:
    cannga said:
    Ed,

    I have just come to the exact same conclusion. Now that I've done some listening, I realize EVEN the stock car for example has higher frequency humm, very small in volume but there & most likely a resonance, at around 2500 to 3000 when throttle is applied in a certain way, with car at some combination of speed/gear.

    In after market exhausts this noise is louder. I guess how problematic it is depends on how loud it gets, if it becomes a physical buzzing, & how persistent it is. In talking to owners with after-market exhaust and in direct listening, I have heard the following comment more than once: "There is a noise here that will go away if you select a different gear." I am still learning, but suspect that all 3 systems I am considering, AWE, Cargraphic, and Tubi, have some component of this.

    Quote:
    edz61 said:

    Trust me on this and I don't care who says what all hi performance exhausts have a thing I call annoying point at a certain RPM.







    Exactly, i thought I'm the only one hearing that drone at the stock exhaust. But you can count on Cannga Linn High End brother (BTW using Audionet and electrostatics - mmmmhhh)

    I have the Fabspeed VerIII and there is the same drone at ~ 2.500, maybe 10-20% more than stock. But i guess most will not tell the difference , so i think the Fab is one of the best non droning systems. And i really love the sound, esp. the cold start idle is pure sex!

    Re: The result of IPD Plenum + Exhaust

    Ha-ha-ha.

    Quote:
    TurboBill said:
    Can, you ask for a 3rd party:

    1st Party = GotBoost? @ 6speed
    2nd Party = Ed
    and the 3rd party = ME!!!!!




    Quote:
    cannga said:
    Alex (or anyone),

    Please post what you find. I am planning to add the plenum. These pictures and posts, and positive users' reports, are too much for me to resist.

    But I am curious: Has the effectiveness of the plenum been proven one way or another by a third party? It seems to be such a simple test.
    Quote:



    Re: The result of IPD Plenum + Exhaust

    Ok, I just ordered the IPD plenum from RSS. It should be here this week and I'll get it installed over at Cantrell Motorsport. Expect to get a write-up on the installation process along with my impressions and of course pictures soon.

    How is it going for you, Ed? Is your butt-o-meter still giving you the thumbs up?

    Re: The result of IPD Plenum + Exhaust

    Mine is also on the way from Cargraphic and i am going to install it in my RUF 550 Turbo and i will give you my feedback and any gains with the performance box

    Re: The result of IPD Plenum + Exhaust

    Quote:
    atomic80 said:
    Ok, I just ordered the IPD plenum from RSS. It should be here this week and I'll get it installed over at Cantrell Motorsport. Expect to get a write-up on the installation process along with my impressions and of course pictures soon.

    How is it going for you, Ed? Is your butt-o-meter still giving you the thumbs up?



    I look forward to your feedback. I plan on installing the cargraphic exhaust and plenum myself when my car arrives next month so any info will be appreciated.
    thanks

    Re: The result of IPD Plenum + Exhaust

    Dito, can't wait for the vbox results. Am surprised that nobody has mentioned this but there is another side to this story. I have heard from 2 independent tuners that they thought that the plenum made no power whatsoever. One of them actually measured it on an non turbo porsche model and it made like 5hp while on a stock turbo it made.. nothing! Go figure, this is quite confusing.

    Re: The result of IPD Plenum + Exhaust

    Quote:
    GT said:
    Dito, can't wait for the vbox results. Am surprised that nobody has mentioned this but there is another side to this story. I have heard from 2 independent tuners that they thought that the plenum made no power whatsoever. One of them actually measured it on an non turbo porsche model and it made like 5hp while on a stock turbo it made.. nothing! Go figure, this is quite confusing.



    What I don't understand is apparently you don't have modify the ECU even though you are increasing the airflow significantly. I'll wait for more testimonials.

    Re: The result of IPD Plenum + Exhaust

    Quote:
    atomic80 said:
    Ok, I just ordered the IPD plenum from RSS. It should be here this week and I'll get it installed over at Cantrell Motorsport. Expect to get a write-up on the installation process along with my impressions and of course pictures soon.

    How is it going for you, Ed? Is your butt-o-meter still giving you the thumbs up?



    Atomic: I kid you not my friend, the car has become a different animal. Last Sat an M5 pulled next to me behind the light. He had a different exhaust + the aero kit and it was an SMG. What mods he had I have no idea. We rolled from dead stop, I kept the car in 1st gear waiting for him to step on it. I was not about to go for it unless he would do it first. Reluctantly I shifted in the 2nd and yet he was keeping his car neck on neck with me but would not floor the damn thing. I finally double clutched and made the loud CG exhaust roar as I shifted. He slowed down and pulled behind me. Man I was ready to go but he chikened out

    Atomic, the car pulls strongly, I guarantee that you will notice the difference. I am so happy with the exhaust and plenum I am not sure that I will do the software any time soon. I would like to hear what you think of this when you car is done

    Re: The result of IPD Plenum + Exhaust

    Ed,

    I absolutely can't wait to see the results. My butt-o-meter stands ready! We've got the same power mods it seems!

    Re: The result of IPD Plenum + Exhaust

    in the yrs I have owned a performance/dyno tuning shop I have seen very few plenums or tb's make power on a oem motor.actually they all required custom tuning to bring out the pwr.german cars are more tempermental about air intake changes and adapt to stock a/f or pull timing which yields min pwr increase.Hope I'm wrong with this product.

    Re: The result of IPD Plenum + Exhaust

    Agreed. The question is did they bring out power gains after custom tuning or not? And was it mainly top-end (better breathing) or even low end?
    I completely agree with you though. The ecu parameter margins should not be able to accomodate much of an increase in air-flow in a stock car..
    My main issue with my tuned car is turbo lag and I wonder if the plenum would help low-end turbo spooling or not..

    Re: The result of IPD Plenum + Exhaust

    The spooling is going to be dependent solely on pressure differential across the turbine. The intake will likely make no difference in spool. I think it would more likely show top end benefit

    Re: The result of IPD Plenum + Exhaust

    Quote:
    eclou said:
    The spooling is going to be dependent solely on pressure differential across the turbine. The intake will likely make no difference in spool. I think it would more likely show top end benefit



    I think you are confirming my suspicions. The IPD plenum by itself shouldn't yield the increases that are being claimed. I still think to optimize the plenum's benefit some remapping of the ECU would be required, and even then the improvements would be marginal.

    Reminds me of the days when we'd take the air cleaner off of the old Ford V-8. flat head. We'd swear there was a BIG power gain, but in reality it just made noise. But adding a polished aluminum velocity stack made it look cool.

    Seems like the biggest benefit would be to lighten the load in your wallet. After all lighter is faster. Might even increase the sensitivity of your butt meter.

    Re: The result of IPD Plenum + Exhaust

    Quote:
    atomic80 said:
    Ed,

    I absolutely can't wait to see the results. My butt-o-meter stands ready! We've got the same power mods it seems!



    Atomic: I don't care who says what on this forum I am very happy with my $1K investment and either I am crazy or the car just loves the Plenum or both. BTW I am very happy with the loud CG and I am glad that I did not get the quiet or medium version

    Re: The result of IPD Plenum + Exhaust

    I'll know soon enough if I've just flushed $1k down the drain.

    Re: The result of IPD Plenum + Exhaust

    Quote:
    edz61 said:
    Quote:
    atomic80 said:
    Ed,

    I absolutely can't wait to see the results. My butt-o-meter stands ready! We've got the same power mods it seems!



    Atomic: I don't care who says what on this forum I am very happy with my $1K investment and either I am crazy or the car just loves the Plenum or both. BTW I am very happy with the loud CG and I am glad that I did not get the quiet or medium version



    Do I detect a little sensitivity here? I'm just skeptical at this point, but after Atomic80 proves to me that his car develops more power with the addition of the IPD plenum, I'll be next in line to get one.

    Ed, If I read your posts correctly, you added the CG exhaust and the plenum at the same time. If that's the case it would be hard to attribute specific power gains to the plenum.

    Atomic80 already has the CG installed so by adding just the plenum it will be easier to quantify the gains with his car.

    Re: The result of IPD Plenum + Exhaust

    $1k is peanuts on these cars. Some here have paid triple that for steering wheels. Everytime I open the computer I can find ways to drop several bills on my car! Must....stop......spending.......

     
    Edit

    Forum

    Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    741643 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    427164 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    257967 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    252942 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    76838 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5082 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot
     
     
     
     
     
    866254 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    796577 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM
    nberry
    383172 1526
    Porsche GT4RS 4/11/24 6:50 AM
    GnilM
    378909 1442
    Porsche Donor vehicle for Singer Vehicle Design 7/3/23 12:30 PM
    Porker
    363459 797
    Others Tesla 2 the new thread 12/13/23 2:48 PM
    CGX car nut
    363431 2401
    Ferrari Ferrari 812 Superfast 4/21/23 8:09 AM
    the-missile
    283876 550
    Porsche Red Nipples 991.2 GT3 Touring on tour 4/11/24 12:32 PM
    Ferdie
    282380 668
    Porsche Collected my 997 GTS today 10/19/23 7:06 PM
    CGX car nut
     
     
     
     
     
    256144 812
    Lambo Huracán EVO STO 7/30/23 6:59 PM
    mcdelaug
    233435 346
    Others Corvette C8 10/16/23 3:24 PM
    Enmanuel
    218661 488
    Lotus Lotus Emira 6/25/23 2:53 PM
    Enmanuel
    217893 101
    Others Gordon Murray - T.50 11/22/23 10:27 AM
    mcdelaug
    163773 387
    Porsche Back to basics - 996 GT3 RS 6/11/23 5:13 PM
    CGX car nut
    135689 144
    Ferrari [2022] Ferrari Purosangue (SUV) 4/15/23 5:20 AM
    watt
    129162 141
    BMW M 2024 BMW M3 CS Official Now 12/29/23 9:04 AM
    RCA
    113106 303
    Motor Sp. 2023 Formula One 12/19/23 5:38 AM
    WhoopsyM
    106162 685
    Others Valkyrie final design? 4/28/23 2:45 AM
    Rossi
    98806 219
    Porsche 2022 992 Safari Model 3/7/24 4:22 PM
    WhoopsyM
    82922 239
    AMG Mercedes-Benz W124 500E aka Porsche typ 2758 2/23/24 10:03 PM
    blueflame
    74719 297
    Porsche 992 GT3 RS 3/3/24 7:22 PM
    WhoopsyM
    52693 314
    Motor Sp. Porsche 963 3/16/24 9:27 PM
    WhoopsyM
    24232 237
    Ferrari Ferrari 296 GTB (830PS, Hybrid V6) 1/21/24 4:29 PM
    GT-Boy
    20617 103
    BMW M 2022 BMW M5 CS 4/8/24 1:43 PM
    Ferdie
    18848 140
    129 items found, displaying 1 to 30.