Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Slate Grey Colored Turbo Trivia

I was stalking cars in dealer's lot yesterday.

I was euphoric enough to notice that Slate Gray color of the body nearly exactly matches the "background" color of the stock turbo wheels.

Very cool color: Slate Grey. A little more sleek and mysterious than the internet photos seem to indicate. The photos "always" make it look lighter than it is.

Re: Slate Grey Colored Turbo Trivia

Meteor is the same way, darker in person and far more depth to it than photos can show. It may have a larger metallic flake than slate as well, although I didn't have a chance to see them side by side.

Slate is probably one of the most classic of P-car colors ever. I just wish that the GT3 that I stumbled onto, which was otherwise equipped exactly as I wished (PCCB, xenon, seatheat-nothing else)had been in that color. That would have been perrrrrfect. But it was in black and I got it anyway. Too few of these cars around to be THAT choosey. Now MMD, go back back and pull out the checkbook for that TT and then post some pix.

I love my slate and it does show some different hues depending on the light.

Your basic slate grey. Why is it not more popular?

Had chance to see both slate and meteor side-by-side (on 997TT vs 997GT3) on an overcast day....

Slate is a bit too brownish for my taste....

Meteor is prob the grey I'd prefer...very similar to F's grigio silverstone....

Need to see any of these metallics live and in varying lights to better decide....

And, given P paint's tendency to develop swirls/microscratches w/even handwashes of darker metallics, may want to also consider arctic silver and GT silver....

Had a GT silver 997TT; excellent overall color, but discovered an annoying, slt ?lavenderish hue, best seen in lighted garages.....

Slate has a brownish element to it (unlike meteor). GT silver looks great in certain light but in other light comes off looking like a dirty arctic silver. Basalt black looks fantastic in all lights but shows up every swirl, scratch and chip! Tho' I'd love to have a black turbo, I've ordered meteor (which also looks great) because of the Homer Simpson "d'oh" factor I'd have every time I'd wash the black and see all its blemishes up close ...

I have several months to agonise about this choice and will no doubt end up switching the order to black at the last moment (if I can find a decent protective treatment).

Indeed, after many, many blk/blk P/F/AMG's, have given up on blk exterior....don't mind inevitable dirt/grunge, esp during winter, rainy-day use/after any spirited drive, but really despise any microscratches/swirls seen when clean and in typical CA sun.....

Have gone for the simpler silver/blk approach for most of my recent cars, as most grey metallics are too difficult to predict in terms of hues in varying lights...and darker metallics also show microscratches/swirls to the OCD owner like me (though perhaps invisible to most casual observers)....

All dark colors, mid-dark grays included, wear poorly. And unless you are a slave to the car - I'm certainly not - it will show all kinds of blemishes.

Easiest colors (low wear and maintenance): arctic silver, white, yellow, red (by increasing maintenance order).

Here's a pic. Slate on bottom Meteor on top. I dunno..., but in real life they both seem a _bit_ darker.

Quote:
    WBH said:
    Had chance to see both slate and meteor side-by-side (on 997TT vs 997GT3) on an overcast day....

Slate is a bit too brownish for my taste....

Meteor is prob the grey I'd prefer...very similar to F's grigio silverstone....

Need to see any of these metallics live and in varying lights to better decide....

And, given P paint's tendency to develop swirls/microscratches w/even handwashes of darker metallics, may want to also consider arctic silver and GT silver....

Had a GT silver 997TT; excellent overall color, but discovered an annoying, slt ?lavenderish hue, best seen in lighted garages.....

Agree Slate does have a brownish tint to it.

If you want the easiest color Artic was so simple to keep looking great. I am tired of it though after 2+ years and know I wouldn't be happy if my next Porsche wasn't black. Theres the dilemma. Loved the way my Black cars looked detailed but getting too old to keep after gloss black but even more so really don't want to as much anymore it just gives me too much to obsess about. And you know 99.9% of people would never see the marks in the paint walking by but you know they're there, every last one.

Everyone's taste is different obviously even changing. Basalt for me is definitely my 1st choice right now. It's black but not as hard to maintain. It's metallic which is very cool and interesting to look at, just makes for a more complex car (maybe this wouldn't suit your style) that is more than just black or red or white. Dun no, I've actually tried to talk myself out of it (yes I know I need help LoL) but so far after seeing a couple more times it's the winner.

but yes if black isn't your bag then I'd go w/ the Meteor over the Slate. GT-silver is nice too and maybe someone could educate me on why is so much money but even if it were the same price as the other metallic's it's still a tos up for me on which one I'd pick. You really cant go wrong they're all very nice Basalt, GT-Silver, Artic, Meteor all colors that I've owned or wouldn't have any problem owning.

Basalt.

I think that's what we need,--another asphalt colored turbo.

May I suggest:

Biggest difference between Meteor and Slate along another axis might be this.

Slate looks very "blackish" with a significant amount of the mystery, sleekness, and "intimidation" that black offers.

Meteor, though very impressive when you stand next to it, looks more non-descript on the roadways; harder to get your eye grabbed by it. Not getting noticed (non-flashiness) is a good thing in alot of places.

OTOH: it is probably impossible not to get noticed in this car. So..., difference between Slate and Meteor in shorthand: Slate is the more dramatic color.

I really dig slate. Had a silver 930 for many years and wanted to get something different. I agree that GT silver has a bluish tint in some lights. Frankly, any of these cars look great when well-maintained.

Here's a pic of my slate in overcast conditions and one in very bright (but late afternoon) sun. I actually see some green under certain conditions and not much brown.

Quote:
    chrisNY said:
    Here's a pic of my slate in overcast conditions and one in very bright (but late afternoon) sun. I actually see some green under certain conditions and not much brown.

Niiiiiiice! Thanks Chris.

I love slate. Every time I look at my slate TT, my heart still smiles.

Slate is the new black
    Looks great!

Picked up my Slate Grey in May, We did the europe delivery

there is a pic from Austria in Panorama it made one of the pictures of the month (June)

http://www.pca.org/news/potm/potmJun07.html

12th pic down on the right

There is a little brown in it but I complimented it with a two tone interior. Looks great

Enjoy yours.

Scott

Quote:
    chrisNY said:

Damn your car looks nice!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky The moment I've been waiting for... 8/11/21 2:00 PM
    throt

475311 1287
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 10/16/21 4:08 AM
    Pilot
    174052 1141
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 10/14/21 6:25 PM
    bluelines
    68218 382
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 10/16/21 4:25 AM
    CGX car nut
    60885 618
    Porsche Sticky ROAD TEST: New 992 Carrera 4S 3/3/21 10:57 PM
    Wonderbar
    47642 336
    Porsche Sticky Porsche Taycan Turbo S - Short Review 10/16/21 8:22 PM
    Wonderbar
    45564 394
    Porsche Sticky Porsche extends the Taycan model range (Taycan 2WD) 2/1/21 12:42 PM
    Leawood911
    12929 29
    Porsche Cayman GT4 10/5/21 7:04 PM
    Topspeed
    470351 3587
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017) 9/28/21 3:25 AM
    WhoopsyM
    387330 3507
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 8/12/21 4:57 PM
    Topspeed
    382843 3918
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991.2 GT3 RS (2018) 4/28/21 12:26 PM
    W8MM
    349126 3252
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 10/8/21 11:41 AM
    xpto
    318550 2647
    Porsche 992 GT3 10/11/21 12:58 PM
    Jean
    269123 3034
    Porsche OFFICIAL: The new Porsche 992 – a design icon and high-tech sports car 9/29/21 1:59 AM
    watt
    252582 1587
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Panamera (2016) 2/11/21 9:22 AM
    Itsme
    168490 1379
    Lambo Lamborghini Huracan and variants 4/9/21 4:32 PM
    Topspeed
    118921 1225
    Porsche Donor vehicle for Singer Vehicle Design 9/22/21 1:28 AM
    Leawood911
    103204 749
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 10/9/21 1:11 PM