Crown

Board: AMG Mercedes Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: does anyone have an SLS?

RC:
    If the car would have AWD, it would have been an excellent family car.

no doubt will be available on W205 C63 (which won't have that amazing 6.2 NA engine)

sfo:
    RC:
    If the car would have AWD, it would have been an excellent family car.

no doubt will be available on W205 C63 (which won't have that amazing 6.2 NA engine)

Without it, whats the point of getting one then? 

I love the muscle car feeling of the C63, I still miss my car and I am still tempted to get one as some sort of a "classic". A SLS Roadster would of course be the best choice for me but it is a little bit of my price league for a second fun car and/or cab for the wife. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

RC:
    A SLS Roadster would of course be the best choice for me but it is a little bit of my price league for a second fun car and/or cab for the wife. Smiley

not the world's prettiest car, but how about the R230 SL63 with the 6.2 NA engine?

I bought mine to have a supercar to drive around in on a daily basis.  I found it mostly unusable and frustrating to drive around.  It wasn't intended as a toy any more than a Carrera S is a toy.  As a functional matter it was a showpiece and not what was intended.  Maybe that was naive on my part, but I thought it would be more usable than it was.

Hi bigonion, do you have a convertible or gullwing. I had both for two days testing. I agree that the gull wing is not handy on a daily base but the convertible felt like the Carrera.

i consider the sls to be more of a 'supercar' than a sportscar.

Definition of supercar being that it's main purpose is not to serve as a daily Driver as such or where form does not necessarily follow function.

in that sense, i think the sls is a very usable car. it is comfortable, easy to drive and lots of fun even at slow Speeds.

much more usable than a ferrari or a lambo imo. it also attracts a 'different' Kind of Attention than the italian Counterparts. more one of admiration in my view.

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

bigonion:

I bought mine to have a supercar to drive around in on a daily basis.  I found it mostly unusable and frustrating to drive around.  It wasn't intended as a toy any more than a Carrera S is a toy.  As a functional matter it was a showpiece and not what was intended.  Maybe that was naive on my part, but I thought it would be more usable than it was.

Can you tell us more about the DD limitations you encounter on the SLS! I think a supercar car that might me a good DD is the Aston Martin DBS, older technology I know, but great V12 engine sound , 4 seats and devasting looks.

J.Seven

intouch1:

i consider the sls to be more of a 'supercar' than a sportscar.

Definition of supercar being that it's main purpose is not to serve as a daily Driver as such or where form does not necessarily follow function.

in that sense, i think the sls is a very usable car. it is comfortable, easy to drive and lots of fun even at slow Speeds.

much more usable than a ferrari or a lambo imo. it also attracts a 'different' Kind of Attention than the italian Counterparts. more one of admiration in my view.

You are absolutely right... its a supercar and the gullwings are every time big show when using it. 

intouch1:

it also attracts a 'different' Kind of Attention than the italian Counterparts. more one of admiration in my view.

agree .. not envy, and lots of curiosity too.

after all, it's just a Merc, they have 1 or knows someone who has 1.

J.Seven:
    I think a supercar car that might me a good DD is the Aston Martin DBS, older technology I know, but great V12 engine sound , 4 seats and devasting looks.

Astons are all the same basic shape. While elegant and timeless, DBS is over designed, the purity of the DB9 shape is lost with too many strakes and other differentiating addenda.

I would get the new Vantage V12 S in a heartbeat but it is way too expensive in my opinion. For the performance it delivers, it should be around 140-150k EUR. At max.

Drove a Vantage Roadster last year, loved the sound, absolutely amazing.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

I had a gullwing.  At the time I thought it would be more distinctive, but in terms of usefulness maybe a convertible would have been a better idea.  The doors barely swing out, so it is surprising how little sapce to each side you actually need.  But who wants to park the SLS super-close to other obstacles??

No Porsche can come close to the sound of my V8 Vantage Roadster with Larini exhaust… Neither can the California… But the SportShift is now outdated..

The biggest problems:

Transmission - Terrible engagement from a stop.  Kind of like driving an old car with a clutch that has a very skinny friction point. Hard to start smoothly. However, in the SLS, your hard to start smooothly issue is compounded by a 570 hp motor!   So you wind up blasting off like an @$$hole from traffic lights and stop signs, without necessarily flooring it at all, it just does not engage and then it explodes.  Big / huge problem.  I did get better at fluttering the throttle over time, but it went from terrible to modestly manageable.  A honda civic is more predictible off the line.  It is a dual clutch, of the same type found in Ferraris, but MB has slowed it down for some reason and it does not engage gears quickly in manual.  I found this really annoying.    There are 4 teansmission programs, C, S, S+, and manual.  The starting issues are less bad in S+, however that mode tries to redline the engine under even modest acceleration attempts.   So I basically never found a transmission mode that I liked. Smiley                

Width - the SLS is exceptionally wide.  I have never seen a car other than a Rolls Royce so wide.  It basically does not fit on narrower side streets.   

Flashiness - This is a personal taste issue.  I have never bought a Ferrari / Lambo or other exotica because of the attention factor.  Myy old 997 C4S got no attention at all, one of the merits of Porsche's obviously.  I had thought that a silver Mrec that resembled an SL would not be particularly noticeable.  Big mistake - it got a ton of attention and much of it the not so nice kind.  Other people will likely have a different experience, but I don't desire conversations about my vehicle choice or occupation or other things when I get a morning coffee.

Practicality - there isn't any.  This is similarly a personal choice issue.  But short of commuting to work mostly by highway (not my situation) and Sunday drives, it is not a serious option for much of anything.

To be clear- - the car has some significant merits.  I thought the suspension setup and ability to place the car were excellent.  You sit way the hell back - for a guy coming out of a 911 it is a particularly jarring change.  But you do figure it out, and it is a distinctive ride.  The power is explosive, and the noise cannot be topped.   The cockpit is very cool.  On the highway, in the mountains (only on a warm dry day), I would describe it in orgasmic terms. 

I am going to try a new SL63 on for size - 95% of the capabilities, maybe more accelerative, does not have the transmission issue, might have more power at altitude anyway, and vastly more practical and non-attention grabbing.  If that fails, I am definitely going back to a 911.  

Thanks for sharing your experience.

why would you go to to buy an SL63 instead of going straight to an 911? Test ride the new Turbo and you might be hooked?

i find the sl terribly boring. always have...it does nothing for me. if you cant live with the sls go with Lars's advice and straoght into a 991 Turbo.

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

bigonion:

Transmission - Terrible engagement from a stop.  Kind of like driving an old car with a clutch that has a very skinny friction point. Hard to start smoothly. However, in the SLS, your hard to start smooothly issue is compounded by a 570 hp motor!   So you wind up blasting off like an @$$hole from traffic lights and stop signs, without necessarily flooring it at all, it just does not engage and then it explodes.  Big / huge problem.  I did get better at fluttering the throttle over time, but it went from terrible to modestly manageable.  A honda civic is more predictible off the line.  It is a dual clutch, of the same type found in Ferraris, but MB has slowed it down for some reason and it does not engage gears quickly in manual.  I found this really annoying.    There are 4 teansmission programs, C, S, S+, and manual.  The starting issues are less bad in S+, however that mode tries to redline the engine under even modest acceleration attempts.   So I basically never found a transmission mode that I liked. Smiley                

there is a software update for the transmission (standard on SLS GT onwards) which solves all the issues .. available from Affalterbach, not sure what arrangements for the US are.

SLS looks wide but isn't that much wider than the R231 SL (measurements below: wing mirror to wing mirror, and excluding wing mirror):

SLS: 2075mm, 1939mm

SL: 2099mm, 1877mm

sfo:
    J.Seven:
    I think a supercar car that might me a good DD is the Aston Martin DBS, older technology I know, but great V12 engine sound , 4 seats and devasting looks.

Astons are all the same basic shape. While elegant and timeless, DBS is over designed, the purity of the DB9 shape is lost with too many strakes and other differentiating addenda.

DBS looks far better than the DB9 and te drive is much more better. The engine note with the fuse taken out is intoxicating..Smiley

Italo:
    sfo:
    J.Seven:

DBS looks far better than the DB9 and te drive is much more better. The engine note with the fuse taken out is intoxicating..Smiley

I do agree AM are looking all a bit the same, but this is general from car makers unfortunately. I also agree the DBS looks far better than DB9, it´s one of the most beautiful cars on the market. Hard to beat this shape Smiley

SLS vs AM DBS enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBuRtY0gAPc

bigonion GREAT review, thanks for sharing. Anyway, I quite don´t understand your choice for the SL63, after having a SLS the SL63 pales Smiley

J.Seven

while i love Astons lookwise, i think their outdated Technology lags behind too much

--

Hopefully the MB deal with Aston will solve this and we will be looking at some beautiful up to date Astons in a few years....

--

2013 BMW 750 xDrive MSport & 2012 x5 - TurboS Cab on Order Mar14. Range Rover V8 on order June14

Might not be thinking straight entirely, but basically it boils down to urban drivability.  Smiley   

I drive city streets to work each day. I get to drive highways now and then, but am stuck for  a lot of my time at speeds of less than 55 mph.  So my window to exploit highly strung sports cars isn't very good, at least not on a day to day basis.  I had thought the SLS would have been a bit more usable than it proved to be.  I had 3 different 911s before over a span of 14 years (964, 996, 997), so not like I don't know the product very well.  For my commuting  I want something fast and comforable and with a bit of suspension travel and a top that can be opened up.  My 2006 C4S was terrific and that is what I gave up for the SLS; it didn't turn out to be a smart move.  The SLS kind of surprised me in terms of when my number actually came up - I had thought I might not ever get one and did not plan very well.

As for the SL63, they had me at 664 ft-lbs of torque on the p30 package - I am not sure we are going to see motors like this deployed in real cars too much longer.  It rips, far more juice than a 2011 black series.  You could say the same about the SLS, but here where I live (high altitude) the power loss in a turbo is a lot lower than normally aspirated.  We will see but for zipping around town and an occasional long drive somewhere, I think it is going to work nicely. 

I find the sticker on the 991 turbo S, which will be over $200k out the door, laughable.  It is more than I paid for the much rarer SLS. There are some postings elsewhere on this site that discuss the (rapid) price depreciation of the 991 models.  They are overpriced for what they are ($150k for a C4S at my local dealer?), and this is what happends when OEMs overprice their cars.  What happens when the facelift comes in 2016?  Or the Carrera S becomes a 3.0l turbo with next generation induction and other niceties?  My other porsches did not take 40% depreciation in 18 months, which I fear may occur on a new turbo S.  That isn't the main reason - I just always liked the SL, and wanted a try in one.  Got a good deal too.    

There are a boatload of barely used 2012 turbo S models available for sale, seeing prices in the $120k range.  It is mostly the same motor as a $200k 2014, yes?  That could be the ticket for a spare spot in my garage, we will see.

@bigonion - I understand your reasoning but one question left - the SL65 is the same price tag as an SLS - isn't it? So what you say about the 911 Turbo that it is too expensive for what you get - is this not true for the SL65, too? Second - depreciation - the SL is (at least in Europe) one of the Sportscars with the highest loss - how about in the US?

Lars997:

@bigonion - I understand your reasoning but one question left - the SL65 is the same price tag as an SLS - isn't it? So what you say about the 911 Turbo that it is too expensive for what you get - is this not true for the SL65, too? Second - depreciation - the SL is (at least in Europe) one of the Sportscars with the highest loss - how about in the US?

I remember getting a 22% rebate offer from my local dealer for a new SL 63 AMG, if they can register the car on the dealership for a month (I would still get to drive it from day one). Actually, I got the feeling that a couple of % more were possible too.

--

RC:
    Lars997:

I remember getting a 22% rebate offer from my local dealer for a new SL 63 AMG, if they can register the car on the dealership for a month (I would still get to drive it from day one). Actually, I got the feeling that a couple of % more were possible too.

Thats almost 50k€ down... impressive! Smiley

Kind of interesting - in our 3 weeks Newport Beach vacation this year I saw plenty of SL65 as I have seen plenty of new SL. In Germany those car are so rare - surprising as the last models have been kind of frequent cars on the street? I feel that the new SL is far to expensive. The cars at the dealer (500SL) are always around 150-170 k€ - come on, it just an SL.... a comfy GT for elderly people or should I say senior citizen (no offense but this is the total image over here).

So far, I've seen only one or two new SL in our region over the last couple of months but tons of 991 (mostly Cabs or C4S). Not sure how well the new SL sells in Germany. yes

--

SLs not selling in the UK either.

they cut the price by about £10,000 in June 13.

they are now available with 0% finance over 3 years and around £4,000 deposit contribution.

I drove an R231 SL500 .. very torquey and very quick. Steering is completely inert and feel free, and much too light. Accurate though. Plus very quiet, too quiet. You hardly hear the engine or exhaust, until you are past 4000 rpm.

UK base price of an SL500 with the AMG Sport pack, with COMAND, full electric seats, panoramic roof, metallic paint, park assist etc is £80,000. Cheap compared to Germany.

I have been offered a deal for a car to my spec with list of £86k for £72k cash. 

It's an sl63.  The 65 is $200k+ and depreciates like a stone.  Sl63 is a more manageable number and lighter.  560 hp and 664 ft-lbs is a lot of motor and in a Rwd car already plenty.  The 65 seems irrational altogether.  

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky The moment I've been waiting for... 10/25/21 12:29 AM
    Pilot

500531 1291
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 11/8/21 7:43 PM
    Leawood911
    181339 1154
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 12/5/21 9:31 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    71938 384
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 11/25/21 6:30 PM
    watt
    67392 686
    Porsche Sticky Porsche Taycan Turbo S - Short Review 11/19/21 6:44 AM
    bluelines
    53380 529
    Porsche Sticky ROAD TEST: New 992 Carrera 4S 3/3/21 10:57 PM
    Wonderbar
    49134 336
    Porsche Sticky Porsche extends the Taycan model range (Taycan 2WD) 2/1/21 12:42 PM
    Leawood911
    13489 29
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 11/18/21 3:28 PM
    RCA
    581 0
    Porsche Cayman GT4 10/5/21 7:04 PM
    Topspeed
    474835 3587
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017) 9/28/21 3:25 AM
    WhoopsyM
    390225 3507
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 11/25/21 12:31 AM
    WhoopsyM
    386433 3949
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991.2 GT3 RS (2018) 11/17/21 5:18 PM
    Rossi
    351840 3256
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 10/8/21 11:41 AM
    xpto
    321849 2647
    Porsche 992 GT3 12/5/21 4:55 PM
    steelested
    280965 3155
    Porsche OFFICIAL: The new Porsche 992 – a design icon and high-tech sports car 9/29/21 1:59 AM
    watt
    254981 1587
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Panamera (2016) 2/11/21 9:22 AM
    Itsme
    169456 1379
    Lambo Lamborghini Huracan and variants 4/9/21 4:32 PM
    Topspeed
    120157 1225
    Porsche Donor vehicle for Singer Vehicle Design 9/22/21 1:28 AM
    Leawood911
    104581 749
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 12/4/21 12:36 AM