Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread


    oil-pressure/overheating/oil rads

    Colleagues,

    Do you all carefully and regularly remove all the bugs piling up in front of your oil-rads? Yes, I remember the 'bird in the inlet cavity' thread, but I did not read anything beyond that 1 st memo....and I was cleaning things---

    Until last month, my 16th with the 997 C2, I have reached in and wiped off the bugs from the rads (front-left and right), not easy with a typical man's arm, leaving them to drop out at the bottom of the cavity ----helping occasionaly with a stream of water----looked OK, as water poured out again from underneath, with bits of insects ( small bits I note now).
    A few weeks ago the oil temps moved from their usual 105, once warmed and working strongly, to a regular 110----and stayed high during slow urban traffic---Odd---hot days?

    Lat week I peered into the 'cavity' and with a flahlight found a long pile of insectt bodies---moths, bees, garss-hoppers----effectivle covering the long and thin strip of oil rad. 30 minutes later, after struggling to pick up all the bodies, along with much water-jetting, it was clean. The gaps that allow water to drain, and insect wings to drop out, do NOT allow good sized Canadian insects to leave that space.

    Temps back down to 105, and 100 in traffic with the fans doing the cooling well....NOW.

    So, even if the 'bird' thread said all of that, this is to encourage the rest of us. Is PAG asleep? Are German insects all mosquitos?

    This is a complete absence of engineering or thought in design. Oil overheating---oil breakdwow, engine issues, RMS?!

    In all other ways the C2 is marvellous ---- especially now the breathing is enhanced with Fabspeed headers, sports exahust, and BMC airlfilter ---it now sounds much more like a strong sports car and not a GT, and properly replaces the much loved 1996 NSX.

    BUGS!!

    KiwiCanuck

    Re: oil-pressure/overheating/oil rads

    I didn't think they were oil...sure they're not coolant?

    Fabspeed headers w/ PSE?? Install at same time? Feel difference in power from headers?

    Re: oil-pressure/overheating/oil rads

    The heat exchanger/radiators are for engine coolant,--EGW. Not engine oil. Concur that their engineering in this area leaves a bit to be desired. It is one more thing that we need to pay attention to routinely. When you're driving a high performance automobile you just can't expect to get in it each day and drive off. You need to get more involved with the car,--e.g., daily TP checks, and oil level measurements.

    I think what would have helped the radiators to self clear would have been to design in a slot about 1/2 inch wide that, when at rest, material that accumulates on the front of the radiators can drop down through,--assuming that their presence there would not impact the ram effect of air in through them.

    Dan

    Re: oil-pressure/overheating/oil rads

    My oil temp on the old engine was usually about 225. We had a heat wave and it was 250. Engine failed soon afterwards, not sure if related. New engine is about 215 for oil temperature.

    Re: oil-pressure/overheating/oil rads

    Quote:
    vtrader said:
    My oil temp on the old engine was usually about 225. We had a heat wave and it was 250. Engine failed soon afterwards, not sure if related. New engine is about 215 for oil temperature.



    I think there's a Centigrade/Fahrenheit issue here.

    215F = 102C

    Re: oil-pressure/overheating/oil rads

    I don't get why if ambient temp goes up so should operating temp of engine.

    If the engine were controlled by a mechanical thermostat, unless the system is seriously taxed, the operating temp should stay the temp that the thermostat is rated at.

    Maybe the temp control is also electronic/computerized (!?)

    Re: oil-pressure/overheating/oil rads

    Hello DanL,

    What fatherly advice:"When you're driving a high performance automobile you just can't expect to get in it each day and drive off. You need to get more involved with the car,--e.g., daily TP checks, and oil level measurements."

    I do not need a lecture from you about care of the car: I have owned an NSX for 7 years, and know how to look after an exotic. It takes a little time to get to know a new manufacturer. I do NOT expect Porsche to make a blunder like that.....

    So how to do clean off that rad? or don't you?

    KiwiCanuck

    So what is the smaller, narrow in height, radiator below the coolant rad? What is on it and what is its purpose?

    KiwiCanuck

    Re: oil-pressure/overheating/oil rads

    Quote:
    Dan L said:
    The heat exchanger/radiators are for engine coolant,--EGW. Not engine oil. Concur that their engineering in this area leaves a bit to be desired. It is one more thing that we need to pay attention to routinely. When you're driving a high performance automobile you just can't expect to get in it each day and drive off. You need to get more involved with the car,--e.g., daily TP checks, and oil level measurements.

    I think what would have helped the radiators to self clear would have been to design in a slot about 1/2 inch wide that, when at rest, material that accumulates on the front of the radiators can drop down through,--assuming that their presence there would not impact the ram effect of air in through them.

    Dan




    Re: oil-pressure/overheating/oil rads

    Quote:
    KiwiCanuck said:

    So how to do clean off that rad? or don't you?

    KiwiCanuck

    So what is the smaller, narrow in height, radiator below the coolant rad? What is on it and what is its purpose?

    KiwiCanuck



    The outer unit, what you see, is the A/C condensor....the radiator is located
    behind that. You can just see it below the condensor.

    To clean out debris, I use a vacuum cleaner with a small atachment.


    Re: oil-pressure/overheating/oil rads

    Quote:
    KiwiCanuck said:
    Hello DanL,

    What fatherly advice:"When you're driving a high performance automobile you just can't expect to get in it each day and drive off. You need to get more involved with the car,--e.g., daily TP checks, and oil level measurements."

    I do not need a lecture from you about care of the car: I have owned an NSX for 7 years, and know how to look after an exotic. It takes a little time to get to know a new manufacturer. I do NOT expect Porsche to make a blunder like that.....

    So how to do clean off that rad? or don't you?

    KiwiCanuck

    So what is the smaller, narrow in height, radiator below the coolant rad? What is on it and what is its purpose?

    KiwiCanuck



    Sorry to come off that way. Many years ago in that part of the 911 there was an OIL cooler there and by your question I thought you believed it was for oil cooling. I've seen some use a high pressure air hose from the leeward side as well as the above reference to using a vacuum to pull it out.

    Dan

     
    Edit

    Forum

    Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky The moment I've been waiting for... 5/18/22 6:36 PM
    Pilot
     
     
     
     
     
    690330 1306
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 1/29/23 2:19 AM
    watt
    322878 1192
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 1/26/23 4:09 PM
    W8MM
    221671 1340
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 1/28/23 3:45 AM
    Spyderidol
    206321 465
    Porsche Sticky Porsche Taycan Turbo S - Short Review 10/6/22 12:37 AM
    WhoopsyM
    187645 580
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 1/20/23 10:57 PM
    Pilot
    133023 58
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 11/30/22 2:30 PM
    GnilM
    58450 68
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 2/1/22 10:14 PM
    SSO.
    524168 3954
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 12/25/22 1:02 AM
    CGX car nut
    483780 2663
    Porsche 992 GT3 1/31/23 2:38 PM
    RCA
    479150 3798
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 1/21/23 3:51 PM
    CGX car nut
    234192 1491
    Porsche Donor vehicle for Singer Vehicle Design 9/30/22 6:31 PM
    Grant
    232220 774
    AMG AMG GT R 3/13/22 8:52 PM
    spudgun
    202208 834
    Lambo Aventador and SV 5/20/22 5:24 PM
    Topspeed
    198339 710
    Others Tesla 2 the new thread 1/31/23 2:42 PM
    WhoopsyM
    197039 2046
    Porsche GT4RS 12/30/22 1:28 AM
    JAMS
    192565 1194
    Motor Sp. [2021] Formula 1 4/19/22 10:08 PM
    Leawood911
    165132 1590
    Others Bugatti Chiron 8/30/22 4:31 PM
    Josef
    162182 525
    Ferrari Ferrari 812 Superfast 6/12/22 5:09 PM
    watt
    158288 535
    BMW M BMW M2 Rumors 2/28/22 7:42 PM
    Topspeed
    144840 409
    Porsche Red Nipples 991.2 GT3 Touring on tour 1/3/23 10:08 PM
    blueflame
    141950 509
    Lambo Urus (SUV) 6/7/22 1:20 PM
    Topspeed
    139650 593
    Others Corvette C8 7/18/22 12:40 PM
    WhoopsyM
    138691 443
    Porsche Dave and Gnil @ Nürburgring Nordschleife 7/4/22 10:42 PM
    DaveGordon
    137158 722
    Motor Sp. [2022] Formula 1 1/13/23 3:57 PM
    Leawood911
    129531 1572
    Others Toyota Yaris GR 4/13/22 8:33 PM
    Grant
    108506 640
    Lambo Huracán EVO STO 7/21/22 8:37 AM
    RCA
    107353 335
    AMG Mercedes E63 S AMG (2018) - Short Review (updated on a regular basis) 10/24/22 7:42 AM
    RCA
    105137 402
    Ferrari Wandered to the dark side 8/29/22 9:35 AM
    BiTurbo
    80318 418
    Ferrari Ferrari Roma 4/18/22 4:33 PM
    watt
    32649 438
    166 items found, displaying 1 to 30.