Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Nicks new Targa 4S

Perfect car for your sunny weather year around!

--

Congratulations/mabrouk, Nick - stunning car in a stunning specification. Would love for you to take me on a Rennteam-themed/intellectual spin!

Drive in the best of health!

rulesdontapply

--

2008 Porsche Boxster S PDE2
    2012 Porsche Cayenne S [gone but never forgotten]

Congrats Nick, fantastic combo, including the wheels! kiss

This is getting ridiculous. I have had my car for one week driven it three days and have 125 miles on it. Each time I have taken it out I have had a slight road rage incident by another driver. None of it my fault and manufactured by the other driver.

Today, I was driving the speed limit 40mph and changes lanes. Behind me driver in a van who was at least five car lengths away accelerates almost rear ending me. As we approach a stop light he pulls along side of me and shouts you have a beautiful car which I thank him for. He then says I better learn how to use turn signals when changing lanes. I asked him whether I had somehow cut him off (knowing I had not) he said no but because I have a beautiful car doesn't me I am superior to other drivers and cars on the road. You understand that? FWIW, when he changed lanes and pulled along aside of me he didn't signal.heart

At this point I knew I had a touchy situation and said, "I get it". The light changed and as I was driving away he shouted "you better or your car will not be beautiful long."

I had other instances with drivers taking umbrage with something I did while driving. I am not an aggressive driver nor do I speed unnecessarily.  I did not have this problem with the GT3. Maybe it's the color or because it is a Targa or both.yes

But it is becoming concerning.surprise

--

To learn how to live is to learn how to hang on. To learn how to die is to learn how to let go.

See you soon posting here:

The Outrageous Driving / Road Rage + Crash Compilation

angry

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

nberry:

Wow whats wrong with some people? I've driven with you quite a few times and you were always a very cautious and courteous driver. Maybe it's the heat that's getting to people Smiley

Some people are just looking for someone to vent their anger on. I suppose having a somewhat unique car can draw their attention.

nberry:

This is getting ridiculous. I have had my car for one week driven it three days and have 125 miles on it. Each time I have taken it out I have had a slight road rage incident by another driver. None of it my fault and manufactured by the other driver.

Today, I was driving the speed limit 40mph and changes lanes. Behind me driver in a van who was at least five car lengths away accelerates almost rear ending me. As we approach a stop light he pulls along side of me and shouts you have a beautiful car which I thank him for. He then says I better learn how to use turn signals when changing lanes. I asked him whether I had somehow cut him off (knowing I had not) he said no but because I have a beautiful car doesn't me I am superior to other drivers and cars on the road. You understand that? FWIW, when he changed lanes and pulled along aside of me he didn't signal.heart

At this point I knew I had a touchy situation and said, "I get it". The light changed and as I was driving away he shouted "you better or your car will not be beautiful long."

I had other instances with drivers taking umbrage with something I did while driving. I am not an aggressive driver nor do I speed unnecessarily.  I did not have this problem with the GT3. Maybe it's the color or because it is a Targa or both.yes

Firstly congratulations on your magnificent Targa Nick! Smiley

This kind of reaction is envy / jealousy. These numb-nuts are trying to ruin your enjoyment of your car you've no doubt worked hard to afford. Best ignored as much as you can, otherwise they've won. Surprised to hear this kind of reaction in the U.S., or even as RC has found in Germany. Touch large block of wood but I've never experienced it here. (Maybe as it's "only" a Boxster but to lowlife a Porsche is a Porsche) Smiley Only once when I occasionally take my Boxster to work did I hear one of the security guards on the gate shout "It's alright for some". Always get the harmless youths in little hatchbacks with stripes and car ferry sized exhausts try and take me on but again, ignored and they go away. With the GTS it's the sound as much as the looks...Smiley

--

Porsche Boxster GTS Carrara white / Volvo V40 R Design daily drive

JimFlat6:

Awesome, congrats to Nick and glad you got to see the new car delivery.wink

Emm, you will get your own one day I am sure. kiss

Smiley Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

Nice targa Nick!  I recall the one I used to have  

I have to say one thing though.  Your road rage incidents may be nothing more than you not signaling.  I see it all the time.  Regardless of not  cutting someone off or speeding etc not signaling, regardless of the car, is just always a bad idea   This has nothing to do with your car or envy by the other person.  Take his advice and my advice at face value and simply signal each and every turn and lane change even if you are the only person you are aware of.  You are signaling in case you don't see someone!  

Quite funny really when you say it was manufactured and then you mentioned  you did not signal.  If I had seen it I would have also mentioned something.  Like "IT LOOKS LIKE YOUR SIGNALS ARE BROKEN"  He did not sound raging or treating he was just doing you a favor.  Think about being safe and signaling every time.  It is a courtesy to everyone else.  You never know who has been injured in the past due to little faults like that.  

Just do it and watch your manufactured road rage incidents drop in number immediately   

Cheers

Leawood911:

I have to say one thing though.  Your road rage incidents may be nothing more than you not signaling.  I see it all the time.  Regardless of not  cutting someone off or speeding etc not signaling, regardless of the car, is just always a bad idea   This has nothing to do with your car or envy by the other person.  Take his advice and my advice at face value and simply signal each and every turn and lane change even if you are the only person you are aware of.  You are signaling in case you don't see someone!  

Quite funny really when you say it was manufactured and then you mentioned  you did not signal.  If I had seen it I would have also mentioned something.  Like "IT LOOKS LIKE YOUR SIGNALS ARE BROKEN"  He did not sound raging or treating he was just doing you a favor.  Think about being safe and signaling every time.  It is a courtesy to everyone else.  You never know who has been injured in the past due to little faults like that.  

Just do it and watch your manufactured road rage incidents drop in number immediately   

Cheers

I almost never signal when no one is directly behind my car. Nick said the other driver was far off so no harm was done. That driver wanted to say something nonetheless. I am with Nick on this one. The guy just wanted to bother him. Plus, he threatened to damage his car next time. He is definitly an ass h.

Nick, just some road range encounter 'communications' advice fwiw.

No matter what they might say, only respond by smiling, nodding and saying 'thank you very much' with a slight accent. Do not say anything else, or engage in any conversation. Any question, comment, direct or indirect threat, only say 'thank  you very much' as if it is the only English you know.  If they think you cannot speak or understand English they get frustrated and take off.  That has always worked for me in the US when encountering 'unusual' people.

The best advice is to always use your signal. You do it for the people you don't know are there. Just always do it. especially if you are wondering why people are telling you outright to signal.  For each person who tells you there are dozens equally annoyed.  Foolish for Nick to announce he did not signal and then people deciding it was the best thing to do and to not expect people to comment. 

amazon:
    Leawood911:

Cheers

I almost never signal when no one is directly behind my car. Nick said the other driver was far off so no harm was done. That driver wanted to say something nonetheless. I am with Nick on this one. The guy just wanted to bother him. Plus, he threatened to damage his car next time. He is definitly an ass h.

I have nothing to add when someone admits to not signaling.  I also doubt it was a threat. If he is like me and likes Porsches he is most likely genuinely concerned about Nick. As am I. Be safe out there. 

As a developer I can tell you that when cars are driven automatically and mixed in with humans it will be much more important to follow the rules of the road.  I can also guarantee that non of the self driving cars will be programmed to signal just when other cars are around.

end of rant. You guys don't need driving lessons. 

Nick could signal until the cows come home and still encounter nutjobs. Considering the number of people in California and the number who drive under the influence of all sorts of stuff or are just crazy, a encounter is inevitable when you drive a high profile car no matter what. San Diego county is not Kansas.

The only reason that the San Diego County Sheriffs office does not conduct DWI emphasis patrols all the time is because they do not have enough jail space and the number of arrests they would make from stopping people who also have outstanding warrants would flood the local court system.

Leaward, hardly anyone signals in changing lanes in California. This is particularly true if no one is behind you in either lane which was the case in my situation.

But I will agree as Jim indicated there our very envious people spoiling for a fight and I just need to be careful. The day before this incident I was telling my wife about the road hostility. She said, "That's strange because you never had those incidents in the Ferrari's."

I believe it is related to the old joke; "How is a porcupine different from a Porsche?" In a Porsche the pricks are inside.indecision Maybe that is how Porsche owners are perceived.yes

--

To learn how to live is to learn how to hang on. To learn how to die is to learn how to let go.

nberry:

Thank you all. I am very happy as to how it came out. 

Enmamual and I had a lot fun picking up the car. Sadly, he must leave San Diego in a couple weeks and return to DR to start his career. He is already missing San Diego but promises to return. Who knows maybe for good.­čśÇ

Here are my initial impressions.

If there is turbo lack it is hardly noticeable. The car responds almost immediately. It has more than enough torque. That said, the GT3 response is quicker and pulls harder. The 50hp difference is clearly felt.

The steering is heavier than my GT3 but I expected that since it is AWD. But the positive is I negotiate  curves and turns on speeds as high if not higher than the GT3. AWD with RWS makes me faster and better driver.

There is a difference between PDK and PDK-S in shifting and it is noticeable. PDK-S is is not only quicker but harsher.The  PDK in the Targa is smooth as silk and provides a More comfortable driving experience.

Though the exhaust is not as loud as the GT3 the SE does the job. It provides you with the sensory experience without overwhelming you. When the car was started and driven out of the deliver bay my wife said to me I hope it isn't going to sound like thr GT3 and I assured it would not. The SE gurgles and rumbles while stopped but on acceleration gives a nice aggressive sound which doesn't overpowers the ears. I am very happy with the exhaust.

The build quality so far is good. There are no rattles which is a frequent complaint of Targa owner. The interior leather work is outstanding. Stitching is perfect and the 14 way seats are comfortable. I need to get use to the sport steering wheel and navigation system. There are a lot of buttons. Apple play/Porsche Connect need to be hook up.There is a lot to learn and I am not sure I need all that information or want it. Whatever happened to enjoying driving a sport car for the sport of it?

. However, I already have issues with the top mechanism and must get it serviced. Also, my passenger window doesn't stay up when I power it up. The rear spoiler doesn't retract. I think all these problems are related to the top mechanism. 

Over all I am very happy with my decision to buy a Targa. My wife says it's the best looking car I have owned. I love having a partial top. You get the open top experience without being entirely exposed to the outside elements. After owning many Cabs, the Targa is a perfect compromise.

Somehow I missed this thread. 991 Targa is the best looking 911 variation, IMO.

Enjoy the beauty in good health Nick Smiley

--

ONUR

458 italia smiley

Nick, it could be the color.  If it was sinister black with a illegal level of glass tint it would get a different reaction from envious hostile nutjobs.

So maybe you should put a small blue and white Colt or a yellow Don't tread on Me sticker onto the center lower edge of the rear window. and your problems could be over. Even nuts can think twice. Smiley I am not a fan of advertising, but your color combo is so beautiful on that car that idiots need a visual warning cue to back off.

Nice new ride, Nick!

--

16 Cayman GT4, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Beautiful car Nick but I can't buy the logic that not signaling is okay because everyone else does it too.  Just makes no sense. In light of the guy specifically telling you what you did wrong I would consider trying that. Certainly the people who would tell you about not signaling will be taken care of.  It is not the car.  If the car had signaled the guy would have just let it go.  If you do things which people correctly see as inconsiderate, especially if you can not even be convinced it is proper much less a requirement and moving violation as a lawyer, then you will be that Porsche guy.  But it is not the car it is the driver in the car.  In all my years of signaling I can guarantee the no one ever complained.  It is not just Kansas.  Lol  

Cant believe I am on a car forum trying to convince people to signal!  Plus there are some who disagree. 

There are a lot of things in California that make no sense. Safely not using turn signals is the least of their worries in that state, Nutjobs who think they are traffic wardens are nut jobs. I am willing to bet you that the guy who Nick encountered has more than one outstanding failure to appear traffic warrant and that he has also served time in jail. Nuts are nuts and they do reveal themselves in many ways.

JimFlat6:

There are a lot of things in California that make no sense. Safely not using turn signals is the least of their worries in that state, Nutjobs who think they are traffic wardens are nut jobs. I am willing to bet you that the guy who Nick encountered has more than one outstanding failure to appear traffic warrant and that he has also served time in jail. Nuts are nuts and they do reveal themselves in many ways.

So let us all stop using turn signals because only nut jobs will complain?  Jim?  It should be something you do automatically without question each and every time. For good reasons which really don't need explaining.  Not the least of which is to be safe and considerate.   Who would argue against that?  What is next?  Brake lights?  Why not cross that double lane or run that red light?  It is a simple rule and good habit. Why on earth advocate not doing it?

JimFlat6:

Nick, it could be the color.  If it was sinister black with a illegal level of glass tint it would get a different reaction from envious hostile nutjobs.

So maybe you should put a small blue and white Colt or a yellow Don't tread on Me sticker onto the center lower edge of the rear window. and your problems could be over. Even nuts can think twice. Smiley I am not a fan of advertising, but your color combo is so beautiful on that car that idiots need a visual warning cue to back off.

Smiley

Leawood, am I to understand you never exceed the speed limit in your Turbo and obey all traffic laws?Smiley Not signaling to change lanes is very minor compared to other traffic violations which I am SURE you violate. So get off your soap box.Smiley

--

nberry:
    JimFlat6:

Smiley

Leawood, am I to understand you never exceed the speed limit in your Turbo and obey all traffic laws?Smiley Not signaling to change lanes is very minor compared to other traffic violations which I am SURE you violate. So get off your soap box.Smiley

Nick. There is no question that I speed every chance I get. In doing so I signal each and every turn and lane change. Lol

I have not been ticketed but that is irrelevant.  Sorry to be on a soap box if that is what it seems like. I am just logically stating that it is best to signal rather than not to.  If someone road rages at you (or passed on a compliment and advice)and tells you why, don't act like you can't understand his point. It is pretty clear in this case.  Furthermore, if you do understand why he is pissed would it not follow that signaling will drastically reduce the number of people who complain (about not signaling). Do you think you would be less safe if you signaled?  Would anyone complain?   I am just talking elementary logic in terms of traffic safety and what would stop people from complaining.  If that matters to you. I would hate to imagine it was the car and sell it if a turn signal would help solve the problem.  But it is all good. I admit to speeding my ass off every chance I get. I don't think that makes it a requirement for me to not signal or see the hidden benefit from do not signaling.  I go fast for fun and I do it without taking any chances I can avoid.  Perhaps that is a good way of looking at it. When you choose to not signal you choose to take a chance and put others at risk when it is only lazyness or carelessness which get in the way.  Sorry if I am offending you or anyone here. I care about not taking risks if they can be avoided.

Like I said I am sorry.  I meant it in a positive way not preaching. 

Please, no using 911 turn signals unless actually needed. kiss

Porsche has not put a proper and tactile rich bespoke turn signal stalk on a 911 since 1971.  That piece of cheap plastic they call one now is just rubbish anyway so why bother. It is a insult to quality,heart  So protest that by not using it unless you really have to.Smiley

Why should I have to use a cheap vw parts bin lever to waste time signalling when driving a 140,000 USD car.Smiley  That plastic turn stalk does not own me, lol besides it is no ones' business where you re turning to go toSmiley....Case closed.Smiley

I remember once being told by a driver that he was so good, had such continuous situational awareness that no matter how possible it might seem to me that with the blind spot area of most sports cars being so large and if a car entered from a merge lane several lanes over and were merging from lanes away into the same lane he were moving into, he would still know it. Frankly, I believe in his skills; but I think the rest of you are full of beans. (and please spare me the properly adjusted mirrors crap, I'm a mirrors fanatic)

Signaling is free. It is being in compliance with the law. It is just good manners. It is covering your conscience should there ever be another car trying to occupy the same space at the same time (at least you will know you signaled). It is also just having some class.  smiley   I won't rant anymore. I will just patiently wait to say I told you so.

Congrats NickSmileySmiley Very nice color combo..Enjoy..

--

2014 Porsche 991 C4S Black with Sports Design Package,  2013 Porsche Cayenne Dark Blue Metallic, New York

Congrats Nick. Very nice ride.

Its also very probable that if you were driving an old banger he wouldn't have said anything. It sounds as though he used this to have a pop, thus screaming up towards your rear, pathetic imo..

Enjoy..

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

991 GT3 pick up in October 2014.

nberry:

Leaward, hardly anyone signals in changing lanes in California. This is particularly true if no one is behind you in either lane which was the case in my situation.

But I will agree as Jim indicated there our very envious people spoiling for a fight and I just need to be careful. The day before this incident I was telling my wife about the road hostility. She said, "That's strange because you never had those incidents in the Ferrari's."

I believe it is related to the old joke; "How is a porcupine different from a Porsche?" In a Porsche the pricks are inside.indecision Maybe that is how Porsche owners are perceived.yes

Nick, many people in Germany do not signal either and I hate them. I consider them to be bad and lazy drivers. Actually, I think they lack the skills of driving a car because they cannot multitask. I am not kidding. For me, people who do not signal cannot drive. Sorry, this is nothing personal, just my 2 cents. I get very angry when people do not signal, especially on the Autobahn and especially when I approach them at higher speeds. I am prepared for that but I hate people doing it.

Maybe the traffic laws in the US are just as bad as (some) drivers. Smiley Smiley

signal_use_infographic_v1.png

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

+ 1. However I have driven in Kansas my entire life and this is the first time I have heard that signal is not required to change lanes.  I highly doubt that. I will look it up and get back to you. 

You would like my driving RC.  I may drive fast and even speed but I don't take extra chances by not signaling. 

PS I figured you would chime in and agree with me on this one item.  Good for you. 

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    804556 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448920 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266620 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90261 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6886 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

886368 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    835058 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM