Crown

Board: BMW M Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Ordering an Alpina D3

We're about to order the replacement for our current company car. Currently that's an A8L 4.2tdi, while the engine has been a real peach, the rest of the car is entirely uninteresting to anyone who loves driving, hence the decision was made to take a few steps back in terms of size and weight.

I had testdriven the Alpina B3 a couple of weeks ago, and really fell for its charms. A characterful, powerful engine, an enjoyable chassis, a lovely soundtrack and an upgraded interior. Since we're travelling +/- 75k km/year, the D3 makes more sense to us, and with 350hp and 700Nm, I'm thinking the performance will be similar, if not quicker in the real world.

As a color combo, I'm stuck between Alpina Grün and Citrinschwarz, while considering Mondstein as well.

This is the provisional spec:

Exterieur
    162A ALPINA CLASSIC 20" CHF 1'260,00
    173 Deko-Set Gold, nur Frontspoiler CHF 0,00
    X02 Metallic Citrinschwarz metallic CHF 2'690,00
    Interieur
    1AME ALPINA Metallemblem CHF 0,00
    ZAP3 Leder Merino Criollobraun / Schwarz CHF 3'420,00
    Sonderausstattungen
    2VF Adaptives Fahrwerk CHF 0,00
    4DL Akzentleiste Schwarz hochglänzend CHF 0,00
    2XAA ALPINA SWITCH-TRONIC Sportlederlenkrad inkl. Multifunktion CHF 0,00
    6AK ConnectedDrive Services CHF 480,00
    654 DAB Tuner CHF 440,00
    775 Dachhimmel Anthrazit CHF 330,00
    3AT Dachreling Aluminium Satiniert CHF 450,00
    111 Fußmatten ALPINA CHF 0,00
    3AP Graukeil-Frontscheibe CHF 120,00
    209 Hinterachsgetriebe mit Differenzialsperre CHF 3'050,00
    4AD Interieurleisten Aluminium Längsschliff fein CHF 260,00
    6AR Internet CHF 140,00
    175 Modellbezeichnung und Schriftzug ALPINA CHF 0,00
    609 Navigationssystem Professional CHF 3'300,00
    440 Nichtraucherpaket CHF 0,00
    502 Scheinwerfer-Waschanlage CHF 0,00
    494 Sitzheizung für Fahrer und Beifahrer CHF 510,00
    420 Sonnenschutzverglasung CHF 540,00
    2TB Sport-Automatik Getriebe (8-Gang) mit ALPINA SWITCH-TRONIC CHF 0,00
    481 Sportsitz für Fahrer und Beifahrer CHF 0,00
    601 TV-Funktion CHF 1'170,00
    2VL Variable Sportlenkung inkl. Servotronic CHF 0,00

522 Xenon-Licht für Abblend- und Fernlicht CHF 0,00
    575 Zusätzliche 12 V-Steckdose CHF 0,00

Any input is welcome towards any must have options on this car. I'd consider the full (and lovely) Lavalina-interior, but at 12k CHF, it's too much.

Re: Ordering an Alpina D3

Great choice Frank!

Maybe an option to consider is the adaptive cruisecontrol (option 5DF). When driving so much km it's such a nice option IMO.  For me personally a must-have.

Alpina blue is also a absolutely beautiful color IMO. Very, very classy. In fact, almost all colors look good on that car.

--

Suzy

SuzyF:

Great choice Frank!

Maybe an option to consider is the adaptive cruisecontrol (option 5DF). When driving so much km it's such a nice option IMO.  For me personally a must-have.

Alpina blue is also a absolutely beautiful color IMO. Very, very classy. In fact, almost all colors look good on that car.

Thanks Suzanne, all things considered, it's currently the best balance between performance/budget/luxury imho.

I've developed a bit of an aversion towards adaptive cruise control, the A8 has it as well, and it's so slow-witted and cumbersome. It's also not possible to use cruise control without the radar guidance on the A8, consequently I never use the cruise control anymore, I don't know if it's the same on a BMW?

Alpina blue is beautiful indeed, but maybe a bit too bright on an estate car, I prefer it on a sportier body.

I've not yet tried the D3 but the B3 is a great car. kiss Personally, I would go for 19" though (not a fan of big wheels) and bearing in mind your spec, swap the Merino for a half Lavalina interior. 

--

Gen II Cayman S

GR:

I've not yet tried the D3 but the B3 is a great car. kiss Personally, I would go for 19" though (not a fan of big wheels) and bearing in mind your spec, swap the Merino for a half Lavalina interior. 

I want to have it on 19's as well, but I can't get rid of the 20's in the configurator... Smiley Half Lavalina might be an option indeed!

Porker:
    SuzyF:

Great choice Frank!

Thanks Suzanne, all things considered, it's currently the best balance between performance/budget/luxury imho.

I've developed a bit of an aversion towards adaptive cruise control, the A8 has it as well, and it's so slow-witted and cumbersome. It's also not possible to use cruise control without the radar guidance on the A8, consequently I never use the cruise control anymore, I don't know if it's the same on a BMW?

Alpina blue is beautiful indeed, but maybe a bit too bright on an estate car, I prefer it on a sportier body.

Good question... I honestly don't know. Always use the adaptive cruise control when equipped. Never really tried if it works without the radar guidance.

--

Suzy

Am still considering one myself (to replace my E90). Non cooperative dealers and the long wait put me off....

As mentioned above: try to stick to 19" if possible.

Not sure if I'd leave an E90 M3 for one... Are you dealing with JMM? You can try Monserez, they provided the B3 for me to test. 

The waiting list is about 6months now, if I'm informed correctly?

I'm aware Monserez is certified too. Wait might even be longer if you order an Alpina colour...

I was looking at the new X5 and past owners of BMW (  some from this forum ) have ALL advised me to take the adaptive cruise control . It seems to work well on the BMW .  

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Gnil:

I was looking at the new X5 and past owners of BMW (  some from this forum ) have ALL advised me to take the adaptive cruise control . It seems to work well on the BMW .  

Apparently it has a stop & go function as well, which would facilitate working in traffic, that's a plus. Smiley

Some detail questions:

On Alpina Grün: Take the Alpina Deko set in silver, or none at all?

On Citrinschwarz: Take the Alpina Deko set in gold, or none at all?

Window surrounds: Schadowline hochglanz (Black) or Brushed aluminium?

I don't like the decals so I would pass on those.  Go to a BMW dealer and look at various 3 series so you can see the different window trim options.  A friend of my father's has a 330d M Sport with black shadowline and I was appalled at how badly the trim is fitted so I felt no trim might be a better bet Smiley.  Personally I think green and black are sportier colours so I would stick with the dark finish, wheras I think a blue car is more luxurious and would suit silver better.  If you do go for silver, you might want matching roof rails.

--

Gen II Cayman S

Include Head Up Display. Maybe I haven't noticed it on your list.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

Include Head Up Display. Maybe I haven't noticed it on your list.

Thanks, but I'm not really convinced of the added value...

bws:

FYI:  http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evocarreviews/291430/alpina_d3_biturbo_review_price_and_specs.html

Interesting read, thanks! Sounds promising....

I would always get the head up display option when available. I find it very useful!

--

2013 BMW 750 xDrive MSport & 2012 x5 - TurboS Cab on Order Mar14. Range Rover V8 on order June14

EnglishManInNY:

I would always get the head up display option when available. I find it very useful!

Smiley Especially the BMW HUD... It's the best available system at this moment, but it is also pretty expensive.

--

Suzy

Hi Porker - great choice - congrats!

Question.... how you manage the space if you are used to an A8L and now are moving to a 3Series - this is like Jekyll and Hyde?

Regarding options - HUD is a must, that would be one of the things I would miss most. Also - Speed-Indicator, very useful in daily life, especially living in Switzerland where the fines are high and the speed traps are the craziest in the world! Skip those stickers.... they are 1982!

SuzyF:
    EnglishManInNY:

Smiley Especially the BMW HUD... It's the best available system at this moment, but it is also pretty expensive.

You can't miss what you never had, but I'll take it into consideration.. Usually I tend to be somewhat conservative towards these gadgets as I fail to see the added value. I don't need a steering wheel that vibrates as soon as I cross a line, I don't need a seat giving me a hot stone massage, a night camera, a flashing light blinding me in my mirrors as soon as a car comes aside (that's you Audi!), ...

Internet and TV are two gadgets that I really welcome in a car, the other ones I can gladly do without.

Lars997:

Hi Porker - great choice - congrats!

Question.... how you manage the space if you are used to an A8L and now are moving to a 3Series - this is like Jekyll and Hyde?

Regarding options - HUD is a must, that would be one of the things I would miss most. Also - Speed-Indicator, very useful in daily life, especially living in Switzerland where the fines are high and the speed traps are the craziest in the world! Skip those stickers.... they are 1982!

Well let's say the A8L was complete overkill for us, I'm 28, my colleague is 30, it's a ridiculous car for us at this age.

The extra space was never put to use anyway, agreed it'll be a less comfortable car on long distances, but it's hardly a Caterham of course... I'm sure it'll be perfectly OK. Smiley

Noted regarding the stickers!, Smiley

Regarding the HUD: For me, it is and was always a distraction, so I never liked or used it. I really tried to like it but... yes

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Porker:

Well let's say the A8L was complete overkill for us, I'm 28, my colleague is 30, it's a ridiculous car for us at this age.

hehe.... indeed - in the age of 30 without having kids you dont want to drive such a huge car. Actually my 7 will be the last huge sedan for me, too. The car is a comfortable travel sedan but I feel also much to young for it (I'm 43, having one kid). The fun of having a small car which you can wind and bend around those corners is so high, you really miss it on the daily trips. Even having other cars providing this joy - if the daily runner is the long vehicle something is just wrong.

Hi Porker, congrats on the Alpina choice. I think the BMW adaptive cruise is very good, use it all the time, particularly here in Switzerland, would highly recommend it. As for the HUD i would take that too, and include the Verkehrszeichenerkennung to it. This latter  is particularly useful in this country where you risk a huge fine or even jail for  little distraction... yes

--

turbolite

turbolite:

This latter is particularly useful in this country where you risk a huge fine or even jail for little distraction... yes

Been there, done that Smiley They will eventually find new means to collect taxes... uh sorry, fines Smiley

How does this option function? The car recognises a 50 sign and fires off an alarm if you continue with 80?

--

2010 997.2 C2S | Carrara White | Manual | S-PASM (-20mm) | PSE | OZ Superforgiata
    2010 Audi S5 cabrio | Ibis White

Previous
    2008 997.1 C4S | Guards Red | Manual | PSE | Bilstein PSS10 | H&R Roll Bars | Dension 500
    2007 997.1 Turbo | Meteor Gray | Manual | Bilstein PSS10 | Cargraphic Stage 2 | Dension 500
    2005 987.1 Boxster S | Arctic Silver | Manual | OZ Ultraleggera | H&R Cup Suspension | H&R Roll Bars | Sachs Racing Clutch | Recaro Shells
    2005 997.1 C2S | Atlas Gray | Manual | PSE | Sport Suspension (-20mm)

Lars997:
    Porker:

hehe.... indeed - in the age of 30 without having kids you dont want to drive such a huge car. Actually my 7 will be the last huge sedan for me, too. The car is a comfortable travel sedan but I feel also much to young for it (I'm 43, having one kid). The fun of having a small car which you can wind and bend around those corners is so high, you really miss it on the daily trips. Even having other cars providing this joy - if the daily runner is the long vehicle something is just wrong.

Smiley Was in Starnberg yesterday. Saw a couple of 7 series with mostly "younger" drivers (in their 40s). Kind of weird. 

An acquaintance from Munich I always meet during our ski vacation (always same hotel) drives a 7 series as a business car. He is actually into sports cars but he told me that in Munich for example, a 7 series BMW is kind of the typical car of a serious and wealthy business man, kind of a "uniform", a tool for identification, a must have business car without attracting too much attention but at the same time telling people, that the driver is successful. Never looked at it this way but having seen so many 7 series with Munich license plates yesterday, this could be true. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Went for a final testdrive today in Liechtenstein. Conditions were far from ideal as you can see, but it was enough to convince us of the package offered by the Alpina B3/D3. Fantastic quality of suspension and drivetrain.

Took the plunge on Citrinschwarz (with Alpina sticker on the front spoiler) and black Merino-leather interior (with beige leather piping) and took the stop & go cruisecontrol as well. It will be an RWD with an LSD.

Now a 7 month wait. laugh

photo 1-1.JPG

photo 2-1.JPG

Porker:

Went for a final testdrive today in Liechtenstein. Conditions were far from ideal as you can see, but it was enough to convince us of the package offered by the Alpina B3/D3. Fantastic quality of suspension and drivetrain.

Took the plunge on Citrinschwarz (with Alpina sticker on the front spoiler) and black Merino-leather interior (with beige leather piping) and took the stop & go cruisecontrol as well. It will be an RWD with an LSD.

You don't have much snow where you live, right? I am just asking as the RWB BMWs with wider tires are extremely bad in snow. Nearly no traction at all. AWD might be an interesting option if you want to move and not stand still in the snow Smiley

MKSGR:
     AWD might be an interesting option if you want to move and not stand still in the snow Smiley

1501471_789540344395657_1069855231_o.jpg

SmileySmiley

--

2014 981 Boxster S | Riviera Blue | PDK | Sport Suspension (-20mm) | PCCB | PTV | PSE
    2010 997.2 C2S | Carrara White | Manual | S-PASM (-20mm) | PSE | OZ Superforgiata
    2010 Audi S5 cabrio | Ibis White

Previous
    2008 997.1 C4S | Guards Red | Manual | PSE | Bilstein PSS10 | H&R Roll Bars | Dension 500
    2007 997.1 Turbo | Meteor Gray | Manual | Bilstein PSS10 | Cargraphic Stage 2 | Dension 500
    2005 987.1 Boxster S | Arctic Silver | Manual | OZ Ultraleggera | H&R Cup Suspension | H&R Roll Bars | Sachs Racing Clutch | Recaro Shells
    2005 997.1 C2S | Atlas Gray | Manual | PSE | Sport Suspension (-20mm)

MKSGR:
    Porker:

You don't have much snow where you live, right? I am just asking as the RWB BMWs with wider tires are extremely bad in snow. Nearly no traction at all. AWD might be an interesting option if you want to move and not stand still in the snow Smiley

It would indeed be interesting to be able to move Smiley

We have snow where we live in CH, but not to an extent that I wouldn't be able to drive an RWD-car on winter tyres in it. In my experience a good winter tyre does at least half the job.

That aside, I wouldn't sacrifice my cars' dynamics in order to be able to accelerate harder on snow during 2 months a year.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part I) Thread Closed 9/24/20 12:47 AM
    watt
    578771 2849
    Porsche Sticky The moment I've been waiting for... 12/30/20 9:03 AM
    rhino

357479 1279
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/10/21 2:32 PM
    Joost
    86134 1085
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/21/21 9:49 AM
    RCA
    44271 340
    Porsche Sticky ROAD TEST: New 992 Carrera 4S 3/3/21 10:57 PM
    Wonderbar
    35211 336
    Porsche Sticky Porsche Taycan Turbo S - Short Review 10/19/20 6:12 PM
    Leawood911
    32880 380
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/23/21 8:09 AM
    BjoernB
    15447 316
    Porsche Sticky Porsche extends the Taycan model range (Taycan 2WD) 2/1/21 12:42 PM
    Leawood911
    4303 29
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 GT3 (2017) 7/27/20 2:13 AM
    DJM48
    561871 5257
    Porsche Cayman GT4 4/13/21 10:04 AM
    996FourEss
    401843 3585
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 4/13/21 8:01 AM
    BjoernB
    356017 3915
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017) 12/27/20 4:06 PM
    Topspeed
    352902 3486
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991.2 GT3 RS (2018) 11/5/20 9:55 PM
    DaveGordon
    313322 3242
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 12/8/20 7:51 PM
    DJM48
    309711 2646
    Porsche OFFICIAL: The new Porsche 992 – a design icon and high-tech sports car 2/28/21 8:05 PM
    Topspeed
    216178 1542
    Porsche Tesla Roadster 9/23/20 8:22 PM
    bluelines
    183743 4279
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Panamera (2016) 2/11/21 9:22 AM
    Itsme
    160451 1379
    Others Alfa Romeo 4C 9/23/20 10:22 AM
    RCA
    138015 792
    Porsche 992 GT3 4/22/21 7:35 PM