Crown

Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread


    Schumi's New Car

    Schumi goes shopping for a new street car. Does he buy a Ferrari 599? F430CS, Aston? 997TT? Audi R8? or a Veyron?

    No, he buys a '67 Ford Cobra

    A simple 427 cubic inch 7 litre V8. No ABS, TC, NAV, etc..

    Link is in French:
    Schumacher buys a Ford

    Re: Schumi 's New Car

    Well, his 1994 F1 championship car was equipped with a Ford engine also
    The Cobra is a hell of a car - pure driving pleasure, very raw drive feeling
    My former neighbour had one and everytime he fired up the engine in our joint garage I thought the Russians were coming

    Re: Schumi 's New Car

    ...and most of the time he is seen driving around in an Alfa 159 station wagon or in the Quattroporte...

    Re: Schumi 's New Car

    Quote:
    Porsche-Jeck said:
    Well, his 1994 F1 championship car was equipped with a Ford engine also
    The Cobra is a hell of a car - pure driving pleasure, very raw drive feeling
    My former neighbour had one and everytime he fired up the engine in our joint garage I thought the Russians were coming



    They wanted to get there, but they never got to get there

    Re: Schumi 's New Car

    If you put yourself in his shoes for a minute, you'll appreciate that no road car he drives is even a pale shadow of what he has driven on the track.

    We think of the difference between a 599 and an Alfa 159 as massive. He doubtless thinks they are both so tame compared to a Ferrari F1 car.

    That's what I love about great F1 drivers. Driving on the road for them has nothing to do with racing or driving fast. They drive within speed limits and in a safe controlled manner. They leave the hair-raising stuff for the track.

    Re: Schumi 's New Car

    Easy, this doesn't apply to Eddie Irvine, does it? Remember when he was caught by the UK police back in 1994 driving his road legal Ferrari at the speed of light?


    Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    That's what I love about great F1 drivers. Driving on the road for them has nothing to do with racing or driving fast. They drive within speed limits and in a safe controlled manner. They leave the hair-raising stuff for the track.


    Re: Schumi 's New Car

    Quote:
    function_analysi said:
    Easy, this doesn't apply to Eddie Irvine, does it? Remember when he was caught by the UK police back in 1994 driving his road legal Ferrari at the speed of light?


    Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    That's what I love about great F1 drivers. Driving on the road for them has nothing to do with racing or driving fast. They drive within speed limits and in a safe controlled manner. They leave the hair-raising stuff for the track.





    BS That's just easy being way too politically correct. Or maybe he's too young to have heard all the stories. Prost was known to drive like a nut in rental cars beating them badly often with laffite riding along for laughs. Berger etc. Hell one of the first hosts, bisanangno, filmed himself driving to an f1 event at triple digits in europe. It's like everything nowadays, watered down.

    As to shumi, i am sure he has many cars and each one fills a different need. A physically big or large sounding V8 is magical. Mustangs and other 60's muscle cars just sound awesome. It was a unique era, i was a young kid and had rides in some of them back then. The only thing sold today with that sound is the AM V8. There was also an intoxicating smell to those cars.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36MFh4of6lE

    Re: Schumi 's New Car

    If you really like cars, you gotta like the rawness and beauty of these. No PSM or other crap to interfere in the enjoyment of machinery. A guy with his ability to control a car would appreciate something that he can fling around. A pic from a car show I was at;

    Re: Schumi 's New Car

    Quote:
    function_analysi said:
    Easy, this doesn't apply to Eddie Irvine, does it? Remember when he was caught by the UK police back in 1994 driving his road legal Ferrari at the speed of light?


    Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    That's what I love about great F1 drivers. Driving on the road for them has nothing to do with racing or driving fast. They drive within speed limits and in a safe controlled manner. They leave the hair-raising stuff for the track.





    It deosn't apply to any of them.
    They all drive like mad, and we only know about the ones that get caught (Prost, Irvine, Button, Trulli, etc...)

    I have some juicy stories about MS driving a Maserati QP in Paris! Bonkers!!!

    As for an Alfa 159 and a Ferrari 599 being similar cars for MS, I highly doubt that too somehow...

    Re: Schumi 's New Car

    Guys, in the good old days, drivers like Irvine, Prost, Lafitte etc etc enjoyed themselves...I should have made clear that I was talking about today's drivers not the hellraisers from yesteryear!

    BTW today's drivers are much more sedate for a reason. A friend of mine is a lawyer specialising in Sports Law. He told me that the contracts that F1 drivers sign nowadays even contain penalty clauses which fine drivers if they receive penalty points on their licence, have any motoring convictions etc etc That's why they behave themselves so much more now. Plus I think sponsors weald a good deal more pressure and clout than before...

    I'm not saying that raising hell never happens now...it's just that it's become the exception rather than the norm as was the case in years gone by...

    Re: Schumi 's New Car

    Todays' elite athlete's are walking billboards for multiple international corporations .Wide internet exposure means world wide, not national fame now. Get in serious legal/moral trouble and the extra millions they make a year in endorsements are gone. Remember, most have only a 5-10 year peak productive'performance earning period vs 40 years for " regular jobs " so they have to maintain on the surface an artificially calm , robotic public persona - like the British royal family.

    Re: Schumi 's New Car

    An original 427 Cobra can fetch between 500K-600K US. These don't come cheap

    Re: Schumi 's New Car

    @Easy
    IYourHO, when exactly the good old days died?

    @MKW
    Are you sure the British Royal Family meets the expectations of your arguments which in anycase are exactly my thoughts.


    Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    Guys, in the good old days, drivers like Irvine, Prost, Lafitte etc etc enjoyed themselves...I should have made clear that I was talking about today's drivers not the hellraisers from yesteryear!

    BTW today's drivers are much more sedate for a reason. A friend of mine is a lawyer specialising in Sports Law. He told me that the contracts that F1 drivers sign nowadays even contain penalty clauses which fine drivers if they receive penalty points on their licence, have any motoring convictions etc etc That's why they behave themselves so much more now. Plus I think sponsors weald a good deal more pressure and clout than before...

    I'm not saying that raising hell never happens now...it's just that it's become the exception rather than the norm as was the case in years gone by...


    Re: Schumi 's New Car

    Quote:
    bondmid003 said:
    An original 427 Cobra can fetch between 500K-600K US. These don't come cheap



    Didn't one of Carroll Shelby's personal special 427 Cobras sell for over $2M a couple months ago at auction ?

    Re: Schumi 's New Car

    OBTW Easy, have you promoted to a Rennteam VIP? In such a case congrats

    Re: Schumi 's New Car

    Quote:
    MKW said:
    Quote:
    bondmid003 said:
    An original 427 Cobra can fetch between 500K-600K US. These don't come cheap



    Didn't one of Carroll Shelby's personal special 427 Cobras sell for over $2M a couple months ago at auction ?


    2M$?? thats insane

    Re: Schumi 's New Car

    Thanks function_analysi. It's nice to be congratulated but honestly, I didn't do anything special... I think it just happens automatically once one passes 3000 posts.

    As for when the 'good old days died', I think your question pre-supposes that there is a particular point in time when this happened. However, IMHO, this has been a gradual change happening over a period of many, many years. As such, I couldn't point to a particular point in time...

    Not trying to avoid answering your question, just my sincere view FWIW.

    Have a great weekend friend

    I'm off to Leeds/York in North Yorkshire tomorrow to attend a friend's wedding BUT I'm going to make sure I get to drive for a while in the Yorkshire Dales and the North Yorkshire Moors first Any excuse to find those twisty roads...

    Re: Schumi 's New Car

    Quote:
    MKW said:
    Quote:
    bondmid003 said:
    An original 427 Cobra can fetch between 500K-600K US. These don't come cheap



    Didn't one of Carroll Shelby's personal special 427 Cobras sell for over $2M a couple months ago at auction ?



    I wouldn't be surprised, but that was only because it had special value since he owned it

    Re: Schumi 's New Car

    Quote:
    dhayek said:

    2M$?? thats insane




    Guess what this all original condition Plymouth ( with police car style hub caps and all ) sold for 3 months ago in Arizona at the RM Auction ? HInt : you can buy an Enzo, Carrera GT, MBZ SLR and a very nice half million dollar day boat for the same money.





    Re: Schumi 's New Car

    Quote:
    MKW said:
    Quote:
    dhayek said:

    2M$?? thats insane




    Guess what this all original condition Plymouth ( with police car style hub caps and all ) sold for 3 months ago in Arizona at the RM Auction ? HInt : you can buy an Enzo, Carrera GT, MBZ SLR and a very nice half million dollar day boat for the same money.








    Isn't that a Hemi 'Cuda?

    Re: Schumi 's New Car

    my neighbors brother owns 3 original cuda's. Those do sound great.

    Re: Schumi 's New Car

    Quote:
    bondmid003 said:
    Quote:
    MKW said:
    Quote:
    dhayek said:

    2M$?? thats insane




    Guess what this all original condition Plymouth ( with police car style hub caps and all ) sold for 3 months ago in Arizona at the RM Auction ? HInt : you can buy an Enzo, Carrera GT, MBZ SLR and a very nice half million dollar day boat for the same money.








    Isn't that a Hemi 'Cuda?



    Yup, and to most people , it looks like the junk yard paid some teenager to haul it away . Then the kid got a $99 paint job , a loud muffler at Pep Boys auto parts and couldn't afford " nice wheels " as there was no money left over in the $200 budget until his next pay check from the burger place where he works after school !

    Re: Schumi 's New Car

    Thats most likely a 71 Hemi 'Cuda. Only 11 Convertibles were made that year. Don Johnson drives one in the show Nash Bridges and his is just a replica

    Re: Schumi 's New Car

    Quote:
    bondmid003 said:
    Thats most likely a 71 Hemi 'Cuda. Only 11 Convertibles were made that year. Don Johnson drives one in the show Nash Bridges and his is just a replica



    The exact one shown above changed owners for $2.2 million three months ago. 11 of any car with any type of passion associated with it means $$$ 30-40 years later when the pre-teenager is now a copororate titan or self made man. Not sure what will happen in the future , since even the rarest current cars are now built in the hundreds. My long term bet is on the Veyron- 1000 oem HP and all.

    Re: Schumi 's New Car

    Mark Webber drove in France on public roads at 250kmh apparently : )

    I actually saw Senna going at a speed that made me feel SCARED on the A4 in west london - he got stopped the same day and had to appear in Staines Court : )

    Re: Schumi 's New Car

    Quote:
    bondmid003 said:
    Quote:
    MKW said:
    Quote:
    bondmid003 said:
    An original 427 Cobra can fetch between 500K-600K US. These don't come cheap



    Didn't one of Carroll Shelby's personal special 427 Cobras sell for over $2M a couple months ago at auction ?



    I wouldn't be surprised, but that was only because it had special value since he owned it



    I think you are referring to the Barrett-Jackson auction and the Shelby Supersnake. $5.5 Million.

    Re: Schumi 's New Car

    Quote:
    harryo2b said:
    I think you are referring to the Barrett-Jackson auction and the Shelby Supersnake. $5.5 Million.



    Yes , you are correct. The " 2 Million " number in my head was for the Hemi 'Cuda at the nearby RM auction around the same time.

    Re: Schumi 's New Car

    I'm guessing driving that fast on the track wears Schumi out and thats why he follows the speed limit or perhaps goes even slower

    Re: Schumi 's New Car

    Quote:
    MKW said:
    Quote:
    bondmid003 said:
    Thats most likely a 71 Hemi 'Cuda. Only 11 Convertibles were made that year. Don Johnson drives one in the show Nash Bridges and his is just a replica



    The exact one shown above changed owners for $2.2 million three months ago. 11 of any car with any type of passion associated with it means $$$ 30-40 years later when the pre-teenager is now a copororate titan or self made man. Not sure what will happen in the future , since even the rarest current cars are now built in the hundreds. My long term bet is on the Veyron- 1000 oem HP and all.



    I agree, muscle cars have a loyal following second only to sports cars. The guy over there running Barret-Jackson is a genius!

     
    Edit

    Forum

    Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky The moment I've been waiting for... 5/18/22 6:36 PM
    Pilot
     
     
     
     
     
    620858 1306
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 8/6/22 1:00 AM
    W8MM
    256534 1183
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 8/17/22 7:28 AM
    BjoernB
    147621 1123
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 8/18/22 7:54 PM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    142467 411
    Porsche Sticky Porsche Taycan Turbo S - Short Review 8/10/22 8:51 PM
    WhoopsyM
    123688 538
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 1/15/22 10:41 PM
    watt
    61147 1
    Porsche Cayman GT4 10/5/21 7:04 PM
    Topspeed
    550385 3587
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017) 9/28/21 3:25 AM
    WhoopsyM
    460153 3507
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 2/1/22 10:14 PM
    SSO.
    456039 3954
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991.2 GT3 RS (2018) 11/17/21 5:18 PM
    Rossi
    421677 3256
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 2/1/22 9:49 AM
    RCA
    410591 2655
    Porsche 992 GT3 8/14/22 1:48 AM
    Wonderbar
    395956 3695
    Porsche OFFICIAL: The new Porsche 992 – a design icon and high-tech sports car 9/29/21 1:59 AM
    watt
    320490 1587
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 7/30/22 11:46 AM
    Wonderbar
    169504 1446
    Porsche Donor vehicle for Singer Vehicle Design 2/10/22 9:08 PM
    Topspeed
    167299 772
    AMG AMG GT R 3/13/22 8:52 PM
    spudgun
    140498 834
    Lambo Aventador and SV 5/20/22 5:24 PM
    Topspeed
    137099 710
    Others Tesla 2 the new thread 8/18/22 8:02 PM
    CGX car nut
    127382 1772
    Porsche GT4RS 8/18/22 3:42 PM
    GnilM
    121017 1075
    Motor Sp. [2021] Formula 1 4/19/22 10:08 PM
    Leawood911
    104234 1590
    Others Bugatti Chiron 4/12/22 9:24 PM
    blueflame
    102286 520
    Ferrari Ferrari 812 Superfast 6/12/22 5:09 PM
    watt
    99883 535
    BMW M BMW M2 Rumors 2/28/22 7:42 PM
    Topspeed
    88815 409
    Porsche Red Nipples 991.2 GT3 Touring on tour 8/11/22 3:03 PM
    Enmanuel
    83183 489
    Lambo Urus (SUV) 6/7/22 1:20 PM
    Topspeed
    82923 593
    Porsche Dave and Gnil @ Nürburgring Nordschleife 7/4/22 10:42 PM
    DaveGordon
    81580 722
    Others Corvette C8 7/18/22 12:40 PM
    WhoopsyM
    79404 443
    Motor Sp. [2022] Formula 1 8/17/22 11:54 PM
    WhoopsyM
    60143 1206
    Others Toyota Yaris GR 4/13/22 8:33 PM
    Grant
    52647 640
    Lambo Huracán EVO STO 7/21/22 8:37 AM
    RCA
    52382 335
    200 items found, displaying 1 to 30.