Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread


    My first impression of the 997TT

    A good friend of mine took delivery of his new 997TT blk/blk 6 speed couple days ago, he actually bought it from Florida and was shipped here.
    Got a chance to drive in the car as a passenger for about 45 minutes and I tried it for about 10 minutes. I personally DO NOT like to drive anyone's car but he insisted on it so I didn't pass and wanted to find out for myself.
    First off the car is really nice and well put together but as we all know design wise it doesn't show that he paid almost 150k for it.

    I believe this 997TT has 95% marketing input and 5% engineering input. If I owned a 996TT I wouldn't see the need to upgrade to 997TT since the wow factor is not present for me.

    I personally didn't feel or see the advantage of the new VGT (again marketing hype, perhaps). Of course we didn't drive it very fast since the car wasn't broken in yet.

    I noticed when you punch it at corners or turns the tail would sway but would come back to control very fast.

    The clutch felt very soft no effort to press it; I felt the same about the clutch feel when test-drove the first Carrera S couple years ago.

    The steering felt kind of numb for me unlike the 996TT or the 996 series, although very precise but didn't give me the solid feel of steering as the older models. It felt more like the SL than a true Porsche, again I should emphasize this is my personal opinion.

    Breaking is out of this world, unbelievable.

    The high-speed test remain to be seen when the car is ready and broken in.

    All in all this is a fantastic car, no doubt, but Porsche needs the get on the ball since competition is very fierce out there. I remember when the 996TT came out that was the car to have but at the present time buyers have many different choices and options from other manufacturers. It felt to me as if Porsche rushed out the new 997TT to the market or perhaps Porsche's philosophy is gearing more towards GT and comfort line up cars. If at this time of my life and career I could opt for the new 997TT I probably would.

    To make it easier I'll put my likes and dislikes in order and please note this IS ONLY my personal opinion and doesn't constitute majority of us here.

    Likes:
    - Comfortable ride
    - Well put together
    - Love the new rims
    - Awesome breaks
    - Excellent visibility
    - Controls at excellent reach for the driver

    Dislikes:
    - Muted exhaust
    - Very light steering feel
    - Turbo lag
    - No wow factor (again this is my personal opinion)
    - Very soft clutch feel
    - No acceleration punch factor the way 996TT did for me
    - No noticeable acceleration from stand still

    I hope I didn't offend any of the new 997TT owners, they should consider themselves very fortunate to own such a fantastic car.

    Re: My first impression of the 997TT

    Ron, your findings are more or less the same as mine...
    Specially after Gallardo manual test drive I am having a feeling that Porsche was targeting MB SL costumers more then old Turbo fans!
    I will have my car in late october but, somehow I am little bit more keen to drive some other car next spring...

    Re: My first impression of the 997TT

    Good, candid response....thanks.

    Re: My first impression of the 997TT

    Quote:
    Ron (Houston) said:
    Likes:
    - Comfortable ride
    - Well put together
    - Love the new rims
    - Awesome breaks
    - Excellent visibility
    - Controls at excellent reach for the driver

    Dislikes:
    - Muted exhaust
    - Very light steering feel
    - Turbo lag
    - No wow factor (again this is my personal opinion)
    - Very soft clutch feel
    - No acceleration punch factor the way 996TT did for me
    - No noticeable acceleration from stand still




    The missing WOW factor from the acceleration is probably thanks to VGT which would give a more linear acceleration.
    Ironic since the car actually is faster than the 996 Turbo but I think I see what you mean.
    What you need dude, is a 964 Turbo S. I think you will appreciate the WOW factor when the turbo spools in shortly followed by a Ohhhh Shhhhiiiitt!!!! in the fist corner you encounter.
    Thanks for your review
    I think you should give it another try once the car is broken in so that you can thrash it around.
    The Turbo's a compromise, it's never gonna be as exciting to drive as a Gallardo or a GT3 but it's also more versatile.

    PS: You're putting comfortable ride as your favorite point. Time's taking its toll my friend, you really are getting old...

    Re: My first impression of the 997TT

    Quote:
    Fanch said:

    The missing WOW factor from the acceleration is probably thanks to VGT which would give a more linear acceleration.
    Ironic since the car actually is faster than the 996 Turbo but I think I see what you mean.
    What you need dude, is a 964 Turbo S. I think you will appreciate the WOW factor when the turbo spools in shortly followed by a Ohhhh Shhhhiiiitt!!!! in the fist corner you encounter.
    Thanks for your review
    I think you should give it another try once the car is broken in so that you can thrash it around.
    The Turbo's a compromise, it's never gonna be as exciting to drive as a Gallardo or a GT3 but it's also more versatile.

    PS: You're putting comfortable ride as your favorite point. Time's taking its toll my friend, you really are getting old...



    Comfort was one of the highlights, I personally don't care about comfortable ride at all. But you're right age is taking a toll on me and I hope you get married soon .

    Re: My first impression of the 997TT

    Thanks Ron, for this candid and personal report. You avoided inflammatory and careless language, and I appreciated your views. I hope to write my impressions, which follow, in the same spirit.

    I drove both a Tip and Manual version in Austria a few months ago, and had a chance to test the cars on different surfaces, in different weather, and at speeds from slow hairpins to autobahn blasts. My impressions from two days of driving, compared to my previous 996TT modified to 490 ft/lbs and 520 HP at the rear wheels:

    1. New car is stronger throughout the rev range, less "whippy" when the boost comes on.
    2. Interior is far superior in fit, function and appearance.
    3. Manual version felt stronger after starting out, and was easier to control the revs to my liking. The Tip, especially in the manual mode, was MUCH improved over the old Tip, and is probably better for folks who are tired of a clutch in metropolitan areas. Also, the manual version seemed louder, but this may have been a function of keeping the revs where I wanted them. ( I will add that I have driven a manual Porsche of some sort for over 40 years, and may not have gotten sufficiently used to the Tip).

    4. I thought the car was tremendously stable and planted in all conditions, with one exception of a high speed downhill curve where I felt the front end going light. (I honestly question, however, whether or not the Tip car I was driving at the time had a SC malfunction).

    5. Overall, the car is a major improvement over my 996TT, in engineering, power, solidity, interior appearance and function. I will be ordering one in the early fall.

    6. Like you and some others, I am a bit let down by the exterior (not the interior) styling. The exhaust surrounds are unattractive, as are the side rear vents in front of the wheel wells. I keep wishing the car had a more dramatic exterior styling--not a Gallardo or Ferrari (which both give away a lot in driving position, visibility and day to day convenience), but a top of the line Porsche that was more integrated and did not look like a 997 with some add-ons. But I understand and respect Porsche's evolution philosophy, and its focus on keeping the 997TT in its market price range. Overall, my design comments are minor compared to my respect and admiration for this car. It suits my needs perfectly for a powerful, usable and all around sports car.

    Re: My first impression of the 997TT

    I think it is 'bon ton' to criticize the turbo these days.
    I do not want to be negative at all but how can one decide on a cars merits after a 10min drive ??. When I first drove the turbo I needed already more than 10min to get used to the clutch being so extremely light. After 30min I thought why not everybody had such a clutch. You need time to adjust for sure but that is totally normal I believe.
    More important, this car comes to live when you rev it. Not possible with a brand new car so again I wonder how one can say there is no 'wow factor'
    This is a friendly observation and not meant to criticize your essay.

    Re: My first impression of the 997TT

    Just to clarify, your modified 996 Turbo had 490 lb-ft and 520 hp at the rear wheels, and the 997 Turbo feels stronger than that car across the rev range??

    Re: My first impression of the 997TT

    Quote:
    993S said:
    I think it is 'bon ton' to criticize the turbo these days.
    I do not want to be negative at all but how can one decide on a cars merits after a 10min drive ??. When I first drove the turbo I needed already more than 10min to get used to the clutch being so extremely light. After 30min I thought why not everybody had such a clutch. You need time to adjust for sure but that is totally normal I believe.
    More important, this car comes to live when you rev it. Not possible with a brand new car so again I wonder how one can say there is no 'wow factor'
    This is a friendly observation and not meant to criticize your essay.



    You are absolutely right regarding 10 minute drive thing.

    I have no doubt that technologically the new 997TT is superior to 996TT but based on my past experiences and having owned few Porsches, I didn't feel like the 997TT had a MUST HAVE factor for me the way the older ones did.

    But as I said if I could get one I probably would.

    Re: My first impression of the 997TT

    Yes, Dock. My 996TT would really come on strong at a certain rev (I cannot recall exactly where) but it was like a whip--sort of a beauty to beast reaction. The 997TT was more linear and consistent throughout the revs, and gave me much more confidence coming out of bends, etc. In the 996TT, I was always steadying myself for the whip to crack, and my timing in high speed driving had to be watched carefully. Hope this clarifies...

    Re: My first impression of the 997TT

    Quote:
    Wonderbar said:
    Yes, Dock. My 996TT would really come on strong at a certain rev (I cannot recall exactly where) but it was like a whip--sort of a beauty to beast reaction. The 997TT was more linear and consistent throughout the revs...



    But comparing the 997 Turbo and your modded 996 Turbo, you're saying that even after your 996 Turbo came up on boost that the 997 Turbo is still still stronger in that same rev range?

    I'm specifically interested in the "throughout the rev range" comment with regard to the relative power between the two cars.

    Re: My first impression of the 997TT

    Quote:
    Ron (Houston) said:
    Quote:
    993S said:
    I think it is 'bon ton' to criticize the turbo these days.
    I do not want to be negative at all but how can one decide on a cars merits after a 10min drive ??. When I first drove the turbo I needed already more than 10min to get used to the clutch being so extremely light. After 30min I thought why not everybody had such a clutch. You need time to adjust for sure but that is totally normal I believe.
    More important, this car comes to live when you rev it. Not possible with a brand new car so again I wonder how one can say there is no 'wow factor'
    This is a friendly observation and not meant to criticize your essay.



    You are absolutely right regarding 10 minute drive thing.

    I have no doubt that technologically the new 997TT is superior to 996TT but based on my past experiences and having owned few Porsches, I didn't feel like the 997TT had a MUST HAVE factor for me the way the older ones did.

    But as I said if I could get one I probably would.



    I cannot agree more: the 997TT is a nice car and improved in many aspects. However, the must have factor is not there... Just a bit more of everything. No major step forward.

    I hope that they will launch the GT2 soon

    Re: My first impression of the 997TT

    Quote:
    Ron (Houston) said:

    You are absolutely right regarding 10 minute drive thing.

    I have no doubt that technologically the new 997TT is superior to 996TT but based on my past experiences and having owned few Porsches, I didn't feel like the 997TT had a MUST HAVE factor for me the way the older ones did.

    But as I said if I could get one I probably would.



    Ron,

    exactly what I feel. After having a few Porsches (one of them a 996 tt), now driving a 997 4S X51 I am not sure if the 997 tt is a must. Years ago, when I owned a 996 C2 it was a must to buy the 996 tt.

    AM

    Re: My first impression of the 997TT

    Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    Ron, your findings are more or less the same as mine...
    Specially after Gallardo manual test drive I am having a feeling that Porsche was targeting MB SL costumers more then old Turbo fans!
    I will have my car in late october but, somehow I am little bit more keen to drive some other car next spring...



    Thx for impressions, Ron

    Kreso, I'm in similar mode as you....will get 997TT Tip later this mth...will drive it until early '07, when my sense is everyone will go into a "holding pattern" re: near-imminent PDK launch....w/building speculation re: whether PDK will make both archaic manual and Tip trannies obsolete....

    Likely will switch to CL63 for daily, urban commuting duty (much better refueling range than 997TT; a more inspiring exhaust note and paddleshifters ) and 599 for wkends/occasional commuting (great exhaust note and fast paddleshifters )....but will certainly consider returning to 997TT if PDK is competitive and P offers a competent PSE....

    Re: My first impression of the 997TT

    Ron and Wonderbar, really appreciate your review and comment. More insightful than many car magazines I have read.

    Re: My first impression of the 997TT

    Good question, Dock. I think my modded 996TT was more powerful once it got on boost (it would lose traction briefly in a fast shift from first to second, for example, and would scare me a bit from third to fourth). But my point is the difference between non-boost and boost; the contrast between the two, if you will. In the 997TT there is less of a contrast (and therefore less of a whip action) than in the 996TT.

    I will also say, however, that the overboost function on the SC in the 997TT is very noticeable, a bit like a dropping down a gear for acceleration.

    These are all somewhat subjective, since I never timed any runs. But my memory is pretty good, and I was quite impressed by the smoothness and power of the 997TT, versus the off/on power of my car.

    If you have more questions, feel free to send a personal message.

    Re: My first impression of the 997TT

    Ron thanks for your review. A very pro-Porsche owner of the 997TT described it as "A very fast Cadillac with too many electronic gizmos"

    Your views on the Turbo apparently mirror his.

    Re: My first impression of the 997TT

    Quote:
    nberry said:
    Ron thanks for your review. A very pro-Porsche owner of the 997TT described it as "A very fast Cadillac with too many electronic gizmos"

    Your views on the Turbo apparently mirror his.



    Oh Nberry, just another chance to jump on the bash Porsche bandwagon. It's all good, though
    I must say, I just came back from NYC, and after seeing a few F cars, I really appreciate my turbo. IMO, the tt doesn't lose anything to the F car, AND, it's less money and faster

    Re: My first impression of the 997TT

    Quote:
    devo said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    Ron thanks for your review. A very pro-Porsche owner of the 997TT described it as "A very fast Cadillac with too many electronic gizmos"

    Your views on the Turbo apparently mirror his.



    Oh Nberry, just another chance to jump on the bash Porsche bandwagon. It's all good, though
    I must say, I just came back from NYC, and after seeing a few F cars, I really appreciate my turbo. IMO, the tt doesn't lose anything to the F car, AND, it's less money and faster



    Just remember my turf is Starbuck's and yours is 7-Eleven.

    Devo, the 997TT is a terrific car. It is reliable, fast and looks like a Porsche albeit like ALL Porsche's. I agree Ferrari's are not for everyone. But you must admit that as a drivers car, the 997TT does come up short. Clearly the GT2 and GT3 are the cars Porsche intended to be exciting and sporty.

    Re: My first impression of the 997TT

    Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    devo said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    Ron thanks for your review. A very pro-Porsche owner of the 997TT described it as "A very fast Cadillac with too many electronic gizmos"

    Your views on the Turbo apparently mirror his.



    Oh Nberry, just another chance to jump on the bash Porsche bandwagon. It's all good, though
    I must say, I just came back from NYC, and after seeing a few F cars, I really appreciate my turbo. IMO, the tt doesn't lose anything to the F car, AND, it's less money and faster



    Just remember my turf is Starbuck's and yours is 7-Eleven.

    Devo, the 997TT is a terrific car. It is reliable, fast and looks like a Porsche albeit like ALL Porsche's. I agree Ferrari's are not for everyone. But you must admit that as a drivers car, the 997TT does come up short. Clearly the GT2 and GT3 are the cars Porsche intended to be exciting and sporty.



    Holy s... , I think I actually agree with you. Quick, someone take my temperature. Oh wait, Nberry, when's the counterpunch coming?

    Re: My first impression of the 997TT

    Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    devo said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    Ron thanks for your review. A very pro-Porsche owner of the 997TT described it as "A very fast Cadillac with too many electronic gizmos"

    Your views on the Turbo apparently mirror his.



    Oh Nberry, just another chance to jump on the bash Porsche bandwagon. It's all good, though
    I must say, I just came back from NYC, and after seeing a few F cars, I really appreciate my turbo. IMO, the tt doesn't lose anything to the F car, AND, it's less money and faster



    Just remember my turf is Starbuck's and yours is 7-Eleven.

    Devo, the 997TT is a terrific car. It is reliable, fast and looks like a Porsche albeit like ALL Porsche's. I agree Ferrari's are not for everyone. But you must admit that as a drivers car, the 997TT does come up short. Clearly the GT2 and GT3 are the cars Porsche intended to be exciting and sporty.



    I disagree. The 997TT doesn't come up short as a driver's car in any way, even though it's not as "raw" as the GT2 and GT3. In fact I would say the Ferrari equivalent is the F430. The F355 is a more "raw" and has more "soul" and the sportier car than the F430 and all its electronic doo-dads.

    David

    Re: My first impression of the 997TT

    Quote:
    Ron (Houston) said:
    To make it easier I'll put my likes and dislikes in order and please note this IS ONLY my personal opinion and doesn't constitute majority of us here.

    Likes:
    - Comfortable ride
    - Well put together
    - Love the new rims
    - Awesome breaks
    - Excellent visibility
    - Controls at excellent reach for the driver

    Dislikes:
    - Muted exhaust
    - Very light steering feel
    - Turbo lag
    - No wow factor (again this is my personal opinion)
    - Very soft clutch feel
    - No acceleration punch factor the way 996TT did for me
    - No noticeable acceleration from stand still

    I hope I didn't offend any of the new 997TT owners, they should consider themselves very fortunate to own such a fantastic car.



    thanks ron. i must agree that 10 minutes isn't sufficient time but it is obviously enough to give one an impressoin.

    what's most striking to me is that your "LIKES" are all available on the 997 or not exclusive to the 997TT (without several of the "DISLIKES")...I personally dont' see the pull of spending an extra roughly 40-50 grand on the TT...and i think the 997 looks better -- especially in revised form. thanks again.

    btw-- what is your friend's impression(s) and did he own a 996Turbo -- would love to hear.

    Re: My first impression of the 997TT

    Quote:
    mateoche said:
    btw-- what is your friend's impression(s) and did he own a 996Turbo -- would love to hear.



    He did have a 996TT before this car. Indeed I talked to him this past weekend and he told me that he felt the 996TT was sportier although not as powerful and the 997TT is as comfortable as Lux Sedan . He is thinking about selling it but he always changes car probably 4 to 5 cars annually.

    Re: My first impression of the 997TT

    exactly my opinion when i test drove the tt ron..

    Re: My first impression of the 997TT

    That's why I compare the new 997 tt with BMW M6. Both are more GT then sportscars.

    AM

    Re: My first impression of the 997TT

    Quote:
    mumbasic said:
    That's why I compare the new 997 tt with BMW M6. Both are more GT then sportscars.

    AM



    Maybe so, but the turbo is FAR more of a sports car than the M-6 and a very capable one at that, even if it has some GT qualities. Just because it doesn't FEEL stiff or raw, doesn't make it less of a sports car.
    I understand why you guys feel the way you do. I feel that the turbo gives you everything any sports car does and does it with some extra luxury; if that makes it a GT, O.K.

    Re: My first impression of the 997TT

    All the reviews i have read thus far are lukewarm at best. Coupled with the latest news that there will be no sunroof delete option in the US. Porsche is not helping by promoting their outdated "tiptronic" transmission and all the fancy gizmos like PSM, PASM, etc... What ever happened to enjoying the control and driving experience of a 911? Porsche has failed its loyal fans by not listening to what they want for the sake of profit and cost reduction. Whoever made the decision at Porsche to have sunroof in the GT3 and GT3 RS should be taken out and shot. It is a complete joke that the 997TT is supposed to be bulit around their ancient tiptronic trans, "networked" crap or not. Read the latest Porsche Excellence magazine, they are usually very kind to new porsche models, but not this time around... The truth is, i think porsche knows and they are trying to bulid a DSG/dual-clutch trans desperately for their coming iteration, but i am not sure the loyal fans/enthusiast will be patient enough to stay around for that after porsche just dumped their remaining tiptronic inventory on them.

    Re: My first impression of the 997TT

    Thank you for the review Ron.

    I guess the new technology (especially the new 4wd) will make more sense in a place where the roads actually have turns And maybe even a hill...

    Re: My first impression of the 997TT

    Quote:
    Fanch said:
    What you need dude, is a 964 Turbo S. I think you will appreciate the WOW factor when the turbo spools in shortly followed by a Ohhhh Shhhhiiiitt!!!! in the fist corner you encounter.




    If you're looking for the WOW factor the 930 Turbo and the RUF Yellowbird can also be recommended

    Re: My first impression of the 997TT

    Thanks Ron. this confirms my feelings about the 997tt. Great car, but unlike at the appearnace of the 996tt there is not really enough WOW factor in it to justifiy the price tag of almost 150k euro.

     
    Edit

    Forum

    Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part I) Thread Closed 9/24/20 12:47 AM
    watt
    582782 2849
    Porsche Sticky The moment I've been waiting for... 12/30/20 9:03 AM
    rhino
     
     
     
     
     
    358483 1279
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/10/21 2:32 PM
    Joost
    86650 1085
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 5/8/21 9:11 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    44835 342
    Porsche Sticky ROAD TEST: New 992 Carrera 4S 3/3/21 10:57 PM
    Wonderbar
    35440 336
    Porsche Sticky Porsche Taycan Turbo S - Short Review 10/19/20 6:12 PM
    Leawood911
    33242 380
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/6/21 4:40 AM
    4trac
    16566 342
    Porsche Sticky Porsche extends the Taycan model range (Taycan 2WD) 2/1/21 12:42 PM
    Leawood911
    4470 29
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 GT3 (2017) 7/27/20 2:13 AM
    DJM48
    564292 5257
    Porsche Cayman GT4 5/4/21 4:46 PM
    Topspeed
    404451 3586
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 4/25/21 4:04 PM
    Topspeed
    357835 3916
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017) 4/29/21 7:24 AM
    GnilM
    354532 3494
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991.2 GT3 RS (2018) 4/28/21 12:26 PM
    W8MM
    315780 3252
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 12/8/20 7:51 PM
    DJM48
    310089 2646
    Porsche OFFICIAL: The new Porsche 992 – a design icon and high-tech sports car 2/28/21 8:05 PM
    Topspeed
    217557 1542
    Porsche Tesla Roadster 9/23/20 8:22 PM
    bluelines
    188910 4279
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Panamera (2016) 2/11/21 9:22 AM
    Itsme
    161196 1379
    Others Alfa Romeo 4C 9/23/20 10:22 AM
    RCA
    138266 792
    Porsche 992 GT3 5/7/21 4:00 AM
    CGX car nut
    119159 2267
    Lambo Lamborghini Huracan and variants 4/9/21 4:32 PM
    Topspeed
    106185 1225
    McLaren F1 2/25/21 11:33 AM
    RCA
    77279 207
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 4/29/21 3:48 PM
    CGX car nut
    70959 1163
    AMG AMG GT R 11/19/20 11:47 PM
    Topspeed
    64990 819
    Lambo Aventador and SV 4/20/21 3:21 PM
    CGX car nut
    64088 683
    Porsche 991 Speedster 9/3/20 4:29 PM
    Topspeed
    57095 878
    Porsche Nürburgring - Tesla vs. Taycan 11/23/20 6:10 PM
    Topspeed
    43463 596
    Others Bugatti Chiron 4/12/21 3:42 PM
    RCA
    36695 476
    Porsche Olive 991.2 GT3 Clubsport 1/1/21 7:58 PM
    throt
    34058 615
    Ferrari Ferrari 812 Superfast 5/7/21 5:56 AM
    GnilM
    30431 462
    BMW M BMW M2 Rumors 3/21/21 5:01 PM
    Topspeed
    28824 385
    273 items found, displaying 1 to 30.