Crown

Board: Motor Sports Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Greatest show on earth

This is one of those videos that you have to turn up your speakers, select HD quality on the video settings, and make it full screen.... I guarantee you won't be left indiferent after watching it  Smiley

Especially pay attention to 3:47 and also the onboad at 4:00  rock.gif

--

Re: Greatest show on earth

TT isle of man - event for kamikadze. Remind me old Le Mans and Pre War GP speed record events by its safety)))

--

sportcars-history.com

It's frankly absurd that this madness is still allowed. That's the wicked beauty of the thing though.

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

There is also the second race of that type... Also tt but has forgotten the name...

--

sportcars-history.com

Wow! Thanks for posting.

Another great traditional sporting event from Britain. It's future must be in doubt in the present day antiseptic world.

--

"Form follows function"

That takes so much skills !!!!! And madness angel

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

This documentary-movie dives you right into the TT , absultely worth watching!!! wink

--

Gnil:

over 230 riders have died in it Smiley

--

Carlos from Spain:
    Gnil:

over 230 riders have died in it Smiley

Not surprised when you know how little it takes to go wrong on these king of roads at those speeds Smiley

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Compared to this

http://www.rennteam.com/forum/thread/20431613/Anyone_like_heights/page1.html

it's nothing heart

--

"Form follows function"

I mentioned, on another thread, that I have a golfing buddy called Charlie Williams who was an eight-time winner at the Isle of Man TT races.  He still presents a radio show there when the races are held.

Needless to say he takes life a little easier these days, but has some great stories about competing back then..blush

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Williams_%28motorcyclist%29

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

Carlos from Spain:

This documentary-movie dives you right into the TT , absultely worth watching!!! wink

Absolutely, watched this last week, goosebumps all the way through. Fantastic event this... Smiley

kudryavchik:

There is also the second race of that type... Also tt but has forgotten the name...

You probably mean the http://www.northwest200.org or the http://www.ulstergrandprix.net , no?

DuckieRS:
    kudryavchik:

You probably mean the http://www.northwest200.org or the http://www.ulstergrandprix.net , no?

ThanksSmiley I meant NW200. Also thanks for the new one- ulster gp;). Both are crazy and dangerous as isle of man.

--

sportcars-history.com

This race is insane. You gotta love the Britons for that, their motoring culture is second to none.

We should be greatful some races like the TT still exist. Yes they are insanely dangerous but so exciting.

Carlito, check out this vid too, some great slowmo shots of the TT amongst other. The intro gives me the goosebumps!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIoO_N8bSP0

Futch:

This race is insane. You gotta love the Britons for that, their motoring culture is second to none.

We should be greatful some races like the TT still exist. Yes they are insanely dangerous but so exciting.

Carlito, check out this vid too, some great slowmo shots of the TT amongst other. The intro gives me the goosebumps!

Great Steve McQueen phrase: Racing is life, everything that happen before and after is just waiting.

--

sportcars-history.com

Futch:

Very well made video!Smiley

--

Those old school Le Mans starts really seperated the men from the boys.

JimFlat6:

Those old school Le Mans starts really seperated the men from the boys.

Why?

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

Why?

Run to your car across the track with 30 other drivers, get in start it up manually, and get going while threading the needle through the chaos of other drivers and their cars doing the same thing. Thats why Porsche put the ignition on their cars on the left side of the steering wheel so you could start it up with your left hand and use your right hand to get it into gear at the same time.... way more challenging and way more chaotically dangerous than a fixed grid start with the jockeys already strapped in and their engines running.indecision

JimFlat6:

Why?

Run to your car across the track with 30 other drivers, get in start it up manually, and get going while threading the needle through the chaos of other drivers and their cars doing the same thing. Thats why Porsche put the ignition on their cars on the left side of the steering wheel so you could start it up with your left hand and use your right hand to get it into gear at the same time.... way more challenging and way more chaotically dangerous than a fixed grid start with the jockeys already strapped in and their engines running.indecision

Yes. And going more than 330 kmh (for 917's even 380) on straights without belts, trying to fasten it... Thats why John Wolfe crashed fatally in 1969...

--

sportcars-history.com

JimFlat6:

Why?

I know all that. I just find it a bit amateurish. Like saying that fighter pilots on a 2 minute alert should not be strapped in just for the fun of it.

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

REALZEUS:
    JimFlat6:

Why?

I know all that. I just find it a bit amateurish. Like saying that fighter pilots on a 2 minute alert should not be strapped in just for the fun of it.

Realzeus, by this metric all  racing in 50's , 60's etc was amateurish then. Helmets were not worn until beginning of 50's , imagine that. It is difficult to comment those times using modern/today`s standards (IMHO).

--

911 Club Coupe, 72' 911 Targa 2.4 S, 12' Audi S4 Avant

--

sportcars-history.com

Awsome video...

--

Wow! How many fatalities up to now?

--

There is no try. Just do.

angel  and then heart  I am glad I am not 20 anymore and I do not live in  Ireland, I could of been tempted smiley

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Pentium:

Wow! How many fatalities up to now?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_North_West_200_Course_fatal_accidents

--

sportcars-history.com

I am surprised how low is the number given the circumstances...

--

There is no try. Just do.

Pentium:

I am surprised how low is the number given the circumstances...

This list is -sadly- a little more extensive. Smiley

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Snaefell_Mountain_Course_fatal_accidents

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    741597 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    427152 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    257965 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    252933 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    76824 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5082 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

866249 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    796564 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM