Crown

Board: Motor Sports Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 2010 Bahrain Grand Prix

...cool down guys.

Alonso won because of Vettels technical problems. So the same manner as he won 2 championships... Despite the spanish press no one seriously anticipates he would have had a chance against Vettel on track. 

Furthermore Massa had also some problems, that why he slowed down versus Alonso in the last laps. 

Its more like...the parasite is back!

kashmir, you are not doing yourself any favors being so viscerally subjective in your views, you are setting yourself for a long and bitter season by the looks of things... you can't fight reality for ever.

Check out the post-race analysis from Andrew Bensaon Easy has posted as a guide.

--

Carlos, that´s what forum live from...or?  

BTW aren´t your post also very subjective....? I mean you write about Alonso, as him being a top driver at level of Clark, Stewart, Lauda, Senna, Schumacher...   Sure, Alonso won 2 championship....but look how...! He benifited massive from technical trouble of Raikkonen and Schumacher in respectives years. He drove the title home, no more no less....dependent on others.

In case you forget, how Alonso performs under pressure in championship battle... watch here: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ry-8HOOV48Q

easy_rider911:

Excellent post race analysis from BBC's Andrew Benson

www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/andrewbenson/2010/03/impressive_alonso_throws_down.html 

Good read.

I wonder how many more season's can RBR keep Vettel, 2010 maybe the last if reliability keeps holding him back..

--

throt

"I didn't do it"

kashmir, it will be a pleasure for me to watch your reactions when Alonso will win a lot of races this year, and maybe even the championship.

Kashmir has a point here! Let's not be crazy here. You can't exactly call him the King when both his championships were won they way they were and while MS is on the same grid. If he does become champion this year, it'll be because of the Ferrari's dominant performance. 

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 
    2005 Ford Focus S, 5spd 2.0L 136 hp (120lb-ft) CD silver on grey (sold)
    1986 Porsche 944, 5spd 2.5L 150 hp (168lb-ft) champagne gold on grown leather. (sold)

koko:

Forza Ferrari!!!

The king is BACK

forza Ferrari - YES

But the King is with Mercedes GP this year Smiley

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 
    1986 Porsche 944, 5spd 2.5L 150 hp (168lb-ft) champagne gold on grown leather. (sold)

kashmir:

BTW aren´t your post also very subjective....? I mean you write about Alonso, as him being a top driver at level of Clark, Stewart, Lauda, Senna, Schumacher...   Sure, Alonso won 2 championship....but look how...! He benifited massive from technical trouble of Raikkonen and Schumacher in respectives years. He drove the title home, no more no less....dependent on others.

Everybody is subjective kashmir to some extent, but you are taking it to the extreme and its not doing yourself a favor.

As to how he won the championships, you can make all the escuses you want in your mind, but he won them, at record age, and with a Renault. I don't see you mentioning how the consecutive three champions following him won their titles? they won them more or less in the same way, its called racing, except, neither of them had to fight a Schumacher in Ferrari nor Alonso for the title when they won it. This year finally we have all the pilots in fast cars being able to compete, and a different picture is being painted.

--

Atzporsche: If he does become champion this year, it'll be because of the Ferrari's dominant performance. 

So why wouldn't Massa win it then? Smiley so if he wins its because of the car, and if he doesn't its because he is not the best driver of the season? Smiley

BTW, Alonso may be the nº1 contender in the grid now and be better driver than Shumhacher this year but he still needs to rack a few more titles before he can be compared to schumy's career in F1, so I don't get this king or no king stuff. This season maybe, overall, no or not yet.

--

In qualifying, Alonso was half a second slower than Vettel, and he was slower than his teammate. During the race he could only overtake Vettel because of his problems, and Massa had a hard time with his car too.

Don't get me wrong here, Alonso has earned this victory, but Vettel would have earned it as much.

Carlos from Spain:
    Atzporsche: If he does become champion this year, it'll be because of the Ferrari's dominant performance. 

So why wouldn't Massa win it then? Smiley so if he wins its because of the car, and if he doesn't its because he is not the best driver of the season? Smiley

BTW, Alonso may be the nº1 contender in the grid now and be better driver than Shumhacher this year but he still needs to rack a few more titles before he can be compared to schumy's career in F1, so I don't get this king or no king stuff. This season maybe, overall, no or not yet.

No doubt he made a really good start to the season. But it is still very early and the other did have problems, so it hardly shows his dominance over anyone at this point. As Eunice says, Massa could have been as fast and Vettel could have pulled away altogether. Things are as they are, however, and he fought hard for this deserved win.

Don't get me wrong, I wish him all the success this season. If he does take the championship, then that will be huge considering the competition this year! Needless to say, it looks to be a very promising season! 

--

Carlos from Spain:

kashmir, you are not doing yourself any favors being so viscerally subjective in your views, you are setting yourself for a long and bitter season by the looks of things... you can't fight reality for ever.

Yeah, Mr. Objective and Mr. Reality.
    That´s definately you, Carlos.

SmileySmileySmileySmileySmiley

kashmir:

In case you forget, how Alonso performs under pressure in championship battle... watch here: 

Amazing. You´re like...my soulmate!!! SmileySmileySmiley

No doubt Alonso is top driver and he did well yesterday, but I think Vettel would win without tehnical problems, because Red Bull was really fast this weekend.. Race was quite boring, I think refueling ban is a mistake and we will see even less action this year.

Shakal:

No doubt Alonso is top driver and he did well yesterday, but I think Vettel would win without tehnical problems, because Red Bull was really fast this weekend..

We must not isolate the driver from the car. Motorsport is a combination of man and machine and winning requires both elements to work with reliability, amongst other things.

--
    It's not where you're going, it's how you get there that counts

Shakal:

No doubt Alonso is top driver and he did well yesterday, but I think Vettel would win without tehnical problems, because Red Bull was really fast this weekend.. Race was quite boring, I think refueling ban is a mistake and we will see even less action this year.

Yes, Alonso is a top driver, but the refueling ban I think is good.

Drivers now have to overtake on the track, and the first lap after a pit stop is the fastest, so going into the pit earlier now gives you an advantage.

The end of the race is also more interesting, since the car and tires have to be much more durable due to the longer stints. I like the new rules (for a change)!

Shakal:

I'm not disagreeing with you (how can one at this point) , but let's see how the refueling ban plays out on various other tracks. I think it will make a significant difference on some tracks, a marginal difference on others, and almost no difference on some.

reginos:
    Shakal:

No doubt Alonso is top driver and he did well yesterday, but I think Vettel would win without tehnical problems, because Red Bull was really fast this weekend..

We must not isolate the driver from the car. Motorsport is a combination of man and machine and winning requires both elements to work with reliability, amongst other things.

Ofcourse, top driver without top car can't win. We could see that with Schumacher, Hamilton, Alonso, Villeneuve... they are top drives and they won championship, but in years they didn't have a good car, they wasn't even close in battle for WDC. On other side, Button won championship because he had the best car, despite he isn't on same level as Hamilton, Alonso...

I hope Bridgestone will make softer tyres for upcoming races, so drivers will have to stop at least twice. It would make everything more interesting...

Shakal, unless they do like they do in the A1 GP series (all have same cars delivered by Ferrari) it will be impossible to ever get a "fair" champion. And even with identical cars, there will be differences and luck/bad luck will also play a part. But that´s racing.

It will be down to a number of factors plus one´s own personal preferences when it comes to "best driver".

This season we have a number of drivers who can win the championship. Within the top teams noone seems to have an inferior car or total package - so it´s a matter of mental strength and luck in the end.

Vettel lost the race - but Alonso put himself in a position to win it.
    With what seems to be a new-found maturity and feeling of being at the right team, I think Alonso will be more focussed than ever - and is a safe bet as a top 3 driver in the championship.
    The exciting part is that you can say that about 5-6 drivers this year.

Why did they change the point system btw? What was wrong with the old system?

--

Gauss:

I think the main problem was, that there were too little points for the winner, so many drivers were satisfied to finish second or third. With the new system they should be encouraged to go for the maximum possible. Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

kashmir:

So where are the videos of Hamilton being trapped in the gravel in China, Schumacher "crashing" at Monaco, Vettel colliding with Kubica in Australia?

Every driver has made mistakes in racing. Apart from Japan and Brazil a couple of years earlier Alonso has always shown to be a consistent and fair driver.

I do not necessarily agree with Carlos on all accounts regarding Alonso but some of your comments are certainly not objective. Smiley

Dr. Phil:

This season we have a number of drivers who can win the championship. Within the top teams noone seems to have an inferior car or total package - so it´s a matter of mental strength and luck in the end.

I guess that we can agree on. Every driver has his strenghts and weaknesses and I find it shortsighted to reduce their abilities to a couple incidents or races. All potential candidates for the championship have made mistakes in previous races, some even being quite substantial. We have already said enough about each drivers´ strongpoints and I see Alonso, Hamilton and Vettel as potential candidates unless development progress will propel Rosberg, Schumacher and Massa to better results.

On a sidenote, Schumacher mentioned that he still has difficulties to adapt to the new cars, especially the narrow front tires, which certainly makes it hard for him to exploit his favoured driving style with a loose tail. As Rosberg also tends to avoid understeer the car will certainly be modified to both drivers´ needs in the future.

Dr. Phil:

Shakal, unless they do like they do in the A1 GP series (all have same cars delivered by Ferrari) it will be impossible to ever get a "fair" champion. And even with identical cars, there will be differences and luck/bad luck will also play a part. But that´s racing.

It will be down to a number of factors plus one´s own personal preferences when it comes to "best driver".

Actually, I believe that the drivers' title should be abolished altogether. If you review F1 over the last 35 years or so, in the vast majority of seasons the title driver had the best car by far. And often there was not even contest within the dominant team due to team orders or employing a substandard second driver to partner the team leader.

So, what's the point of having this title if the times it is won by the really best driver are very rare?

Personally, I believe that Motorsport is all about the package of man and machinery so the two must not be separated. There should only be one combined title.

--
    It's not where you're going, it's how you get there that counts

That's a good idea reginos, but I doubt it will help to make the sport more popular.

The best drivers can pretty much choose their team and have a big influence on it, so it's not totally wrong to have a drivers title.

No problem with the driver's title; just make the manufacturer's title equally important.

Rossi:
    Gauss:

I think the main problem was, that there were too little points for the winner, so many drivers were satisfied to finish second or third. With the new system they should be encouraged to go for the maximum possible. Smiley

Ah! thanks for clarifying, Rossi Smiley

--

Spyderidol:

No problem with the driver's title; just make the manufacturer's title equally important.

I think the teams already consider it much more important, as a lot of funding and other privileges depend on it. 

Yes thats true, but racing must also be about the fans. They are the true source of income.

andrea:

nice!

http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePorscheSupercup

Thank you for that link. Had followed race 1 on TV, race 2 was even more entertaining! Smiley

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part I) Thread Closed 9/24/20 12:47 AM
    watt
    586566 2849
    Porsche Sticky The moment I've been waiting for... 12/30/20 9:03 AM
    rhino

359343 1279
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/10/21 2:32 PM
    Joost
    87135 1085
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 5/12/21 3:30 PM
    WhoopsyM
    45560 344
    Porsche Sticky ROAD TEST: New 992 Carrera 4S 3/3/21 10:57 PM
    Wonderbar
    35714 336
    Porsche Sticky Porsche Taycan Turbo S - Short Review 10/19/20 6:12 PM
    Leawood911
    33581 380
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/11/21 3:34 PM
    watt
    17034 344
    Porsche Sticky Porsche extends the Taycan model range (Taycan 2WD) 2/1/21 12:42 PM
    Leawood911
    4750 29
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 GT3 (2017) 7/27/20 2:13 AM
    DJM48
    566873 5257
    Porsche Cayman GT4 5/4/21 4:46 PM
    Topspeed
    408624 3586
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 4/25/21 4:04 PM
    Topspeed
    359032 3916
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017) 4/29/21 7:24 AM
    GnilM
    356628 3494
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991.2 GT3 RS (2018) 4/28/21 12:26 PM
    W8MM
    318338 3252
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 12/8/20 7:51 PM
    DJM48
    310351 2646
    Porsche OFFICIAL: The new Porsche 992 – a design icon and high-tech sports car 2/28/21 8:05 PM
    Topspeed
    219312 1542
    Porsche Tesla Roadster 9/23/20 8:22 PM
    bluelines
    197432 4279
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Panamera (2016) 2/11/21 9:22 AM
    Itsme
    161454 1379
    Others Alfa Romeo 4C 9/23/20 10:22 AM
    RCA
    138368 792
    Porsche 992 GT3 5/18/21 11:19 PM