Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Poor High-Speed Performance of Nissan GTR

Just found this video (source: Motor Trend):

www.youtube.com/watch?v=5a8YSUotXho

It appears that the GTR is really slow at higher speeds. 0-300 far above 1 minute Smiley

Re: Poor High-Speed Performance of Nissan GTR

That's pretty slow. It must be the aerodynamics... the front looks like it pushes a lot of air.

I clocked that 0-250kph in ~27.5s (off the speedo) - pretty sure I saw that tested elsewhere at ~21s ?

Could the oval banking be slowing this up quite a lot, we all suspect the CdA is going to be high but with 480PS is should be 0-300kph in 40-50s not the 69s I just saw !

There will be a GTR in the FIA GT championship racing in the GT1 class. the car will make its debut at the 2009 24H of Spa and compete for the whole season in 2010.

It gets up to 130 like a bullet then runs out of steam.

Compare it to the Enzo run up to 330km/h

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQhlWt-uv6k

This on the other hand, is absolutely insane, and I don't think it's a CGT:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nw6IPJ_qmv8

That Enzo run was 0-370 km/h actually. That's the Enzo's real top speed. Amazing!!!
    --
    FERRARI RULES!!!

TB993tt:

I clocked that 0-250kph in ~27.5s (off the speedo) - pretty sure I saw that tested elsewhere at ~21s ?

Could the oval banking be slowing this up quite a lot, we all suspect the CdA is going to be high but with 480PS is should be 0-300kph in 40-50s not the 69s I just saw !

I think part of the problem might have been the test conditions. Other cars included in this test were also slower than they should be (approximately by 20s 0-300). Thus, the realistic 0-300 time of the GTR should be in the 50s range (+/-) Smiley

...which is still slower then 0-300km/h by 997 Turbo. 40.7s by AMS(manual). I will be very, very supriesed if final EU specs GT-R achieve faster time on the Ring then current 997 Turbo time(7.52min). Why? Well, some info from NSU... Some other manufacturer also bought and tested USA version of GT-R and in short-not nearly as fast on the Ring as Suzuki san. BTW, driver was factory race driver and few times Le Mans winner...

JoeRockhead:

It gets up to 130 like a bullet then runs out of steam.

Compare it to the Enzo run up to 330km/h

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQhlWt-uv6k

This on the other hand, is absolutely insane, and I don't think it's a CGT:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nw6IPJ_qmv8

Nah, it's a CGT. Listen to the exhaust note .... it's just been boosted all to hell. He was spinning the tires through 3rd gear Smiley

--
    ...the only thing stopping you, is you!

Heist:

Nah, it's a CGT. Listen to the exhaust note .... it's just been boosted all to hell.

The tach only goes up to 9K, not 10. I think it's a 996 GT2 with a race motor. It's a 9FF car, for sure.

KresoF1:
    ...which is still slower then 0-300km/h by 997 Turbo. 40.7s by AMS(manual). I will be very, very supriesed if final EU specs GT-R achieve faster time on the Ring then current 997 Turbo time(7.52min). Why? Well, some info from NSU... Some other manufacturer also bought and tested USA version of GT-R and in short-not nearly as fast on the Ring as Suzuki san. BTW, driver was factory race driver and few times Le Mans winner...

You can bet that the GTR Supertest will carry some bad news for those who believe in Nissan's PR claims Smiley

2009 Nissan GT-R: How Fast Without Launch Control?

GTRLaunchblog.jpg

So how fast is it w/o using launch control?" asked Desmolicious. This was the first reply when http://blogs.edmunds.com/straightline/2008/11/2008-la-auto-show-2010-nissan-gt-r-loses-launch-con_1";returnStraightline broke the news that the 2010 Nissan GT-R would not be available with the launch control feature that helps the car get some pretty amazing times. Turns out that this sort of thing -- electronically dumping the clutch on a 480-hp, AWD car with the revs way up -- could do some pretty serious damage to the gearbox as well as the tires. "We just don't want to deal with the warranty nightmare anymore. It'll make the 2009 GT-R really special. It'll be the only R35 with launch control." Said a ranking Nissan Exec.

There's been a lot of speculation on the performance, but we have data loggers and test drivers and a closed test facility, we don't need to speculate. Last week we put our 2009 Nissan GT-R back on the starting line, this time without launch control. Follow the jump for the numbers.

With:
    0-30: 1.61
    0-45: 2.64
    0-60 http://http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Features/articleId=130988_1";return(with 1 foot of rollout like on a dragstrip): 3.53
    0-60: 3.83
    0-75: 5.29
    1/4 mile @ mph: 11.77 @ 118.63

Without LC:
    0-30: 2.3 
    0-45: 3.2
    0-60 http://http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Features/articleId=130988_2";return(with 1 foot of rollout like on a dragstrip): 4.0
    0-60: 4.3
    0-75: 5.8 
    1/4 mile @ mph: 12.3 @ 118.5

Comments: "After trying every combination of suspension settings, shift protocol, automatic and manual shift, and traction control, I tried a completely default run (Normal: shift, suspension, trac) and it effectively tied my all-R / Manual shifted run. Big bog out of the hole, but then it goes like stink."

GTR Graph.jpg

The Blue line represents the GT-R w/ launch control, the red line is w/o.

There you have it. 4.3 instead of 3.83.

Let the GT-R bashing begin!

Mike Magrath, Vehicle Testing Assistant @ 13,185 miles

http://blogs.edmunds.com/roadtests/2008/12/2009-nissan-gt-r-how-fast-without-launch-control.html#more 

--

As far as I am concerned I never use the LC (if available in a car). Love the material too much...

The above numbers show that the LC does make a small difference. However, is it worth the extra wear? Of course, it has some bitter taste that the orginal GTR specs will no longer be met after the LC is banned from the new cars. 

hahaha the nissan is a joke. finally people are realizing Smiley
    --

2005 Ford Focus S, 5spd
    1986 Porsche 944, 5spd

Definitely the Porsche flat-6. Doesnt have the shreik of the v10, turbos or not. Besides the thought of a TT CGT is kind of scary, sounds like near suicide to me.

JoeRockhead:
    Heist:

Nah, it's a CGT. Listen to the exhaust note .... it's just been boosted all to hell.

The tach only goes up to 9K, not 10. I think it's a 996 GT2 with a race motor. It's a 9FF car, for sure.

I retract that - after listen to it at home and not on my tinny laptop speakers, it's definitely a flat-six. But still boosted all to hell and that motor has definitely been massaged to rev like a maniac ... possibly lightened  flywheel. 

--
    ...the only thing stopping you, is you!

KresoF1:

It was already faster than the Turbo with the Bridgestones (driven by von Saurma). And maybe you missed that test from Drivers Republic, where the GT-R was only 3 seconds slower than the Turbo in worse conditions. 

Oh and wasn't the Turbo tested twice by Sport Auto? It did 7:54 the first time right?

HvS drove test mule of GT-R. NOT EU specs car.

Actually, GT-R was only about 3s slower on the Ring in Chris Harris hands then 997 GT2, NOT 997 Turbo. For your info-official 997 GT2 Ring time is 7.32min and Nissan claims that GT-R can do 7.29min... Did you read that article well? Chris Harris was wondering about that 7.29min claim very ,very much indeed...

YES, Sport Auto rested 997 Turbo. 7.52min is second example. For your info current MY09 997 Turbo can do below that...

...and there will be further update for GT-R EU specs in late January or early February 2009. You will see...

KresoF1:

Well, some info from NSU... Some other manufacturer also bought and tested USA version of GT-R and in short-not nearly as fast on the Ring as Suzuki san. BTW, driver was factory race driver and few times Le Mans winner...

I've scratched my head trying to work out what the abbreviation NSU stands for.  Smiley

Is it just the Croatian for USA? Smiley 

--
    fritz

KresoF1:

GT-R was only about 3s slower on the Ring in Chris Harris hands then 997 GT2,

The difference in lap times was actually 7s (not 3s) Smiley

KresoF1:

HvS drove test mule of GT-R. NOT EU specs car.

Actually, GT-R was only about 3s slower on the Ring in Chris Harris hands then 997 GT2, NOT 997 Turbo. For your info-official 997 GT2 Ring time is 7.32min and Nissan claims that GT-R can do 7.29min... Did you read that article well? Chris Harris was wondering about that 7.29min claim very ,very much indeed...

YES, Sport Auto rested 997 Turbo. 7.52min is second example. For your info current MY09 997 Turbo can do below that...

...and there will be further update for GT-R EU specs in late January or early February 2009. You will see...

You misread my post. What I wrote is that the lao time from Drivers Republic is only 3 seconds slower than the lap time from Sport Auto with the 997 Turbo. Chris Harris drove on a far from perfect track while Sport Auto got a dry lap to test the Turbo.

I read that article and the first thing I noticed (the same thing that some people somehow forget) is that the GT-R was a privatly owned car and it didn't had the fastest tires. The GT2 was a press car. As I said, little things like how the brake pads were broken in can make a difference.

fritz:

KresoF1:

Well, some info from NSU... Some other manufacturer also bought and tested USA version of GT-R and in short-not nearly as fast on the Ring as Suzuki san. BTW, driver was factory race driver and few times Le Mans winner...

I've scratched my head trying to work out what the abbreviation NSU stands for.  Smiley

--
    fritz

Fritz, Fritz...Smiley Sie sind Deutsch?

NSU is well known name from Germany car industry past... At least for me. NSU is for Neckarsulm. All Neckarsulm Audi employee call their factory(and quattro Gmbh) NSU...

KresoF1:
    fritz:

KresoF1:

--
    fritz

Fritz, Fritz...Smiley Sie sind Deutsch?

NSU is well known name from Germany car industry past... At least for me. NSU is for Neckarsulm. All Neckarsulm Audi employee call their factory(and quattro Gmbh) NSU...

NSU Motorenwerke AG Smiley

"Past" is right. That company was bought out by VW Audi almost 40 years ago!   Smiley 
    The Quattro GmbH managers I have been in contact with didn't refer to their company as NSU, probably because they were barely out of diapers when that name was retired. Smiley

Since you mentioned a USA version of the GT-R, I wondered if maybe you were suggesting that GM's Corvette division and Kris Nissen had had one on the Nürburgring. I should have realized that GM has other priorities at the moment. Smiley

PS: Change of topic, but I was looking closely at a well-preserved NSU Ro 80 a while back. That is one of the very few cars of its age (late 60s / early 70s) whose exterior styling would still look relatively up-to-date on today's roads  -  though it would need wider wheels and tires.     

--
    fritz

NSU Ro 80. Very pioneering, advanced car 1967-77! 

Wankel (rotary) engine very thirsty and car developed a bad reputation for unreliability.

Also advanced semi-auto transmission. 

Also rear engined NSU TT (where Audi TT name comes from) was a very exciting small car in the 60s. The rear engine cover often opened-up for cooling

Audi has heritage too but not many people know about it!

--
    It's not where you're going, it's how you get there that counts

reginos:

The rear engine cover often opened-up for cooling

Yes, rear-engined, aircooled, lightweight - hot little cars Smiley There was a rumor one or two years ago about a revival of the NSU brand via launching a modern TT (again with a rear-engine layout).

Here in Germany there has been a joke addressing the unreliability of the Wankel engine: RO 80 drivers waiving at each other were indicating the number of engines already toasted by raising the corresponding number of fingers Smiley RO 80 IMO is a typical example for a car being just too advanced in styling and technology for the era it was launched.

BTW: Schumi was an apprentice boy at the Bergmeister garage (sticker on NSU TT racecar) Smiley

AUM:

2009 Nissan GT-R: How Fast Without Launch Control?

GTRLaunchblog.jpg

So how fast is it w/o using launch control?" asked Desmolicious. This was the first reply when  http://blogs.edmunds.com/straightline/2008/11/2008-la-auto-show-2010-nissan-gt-r-loses-launch-con_1";returnStraightline broke the news that the 2010 Nissan GT-R would not be available with the launch control feature that helps the car get some pretty amazing times. Turns out that this sort of thing -- electronically dumping the clutch on a 480-hp, AWD car with the revs way up -- could do some pretty serious damage to the gearbox as well as the tires. "We just don't want to deal with the warranty nightmare anymore. It'll make the 2009 GT-R really special. It'll be the only R35 with launch control." Said a ranking Nissan Exec.

There's been a lot of speculation on the performance, but we have data loggers and test drivers and a closed test facility, we don't need to speculate. Last week we put our 2009 Nissan GT-R back on the starting line, this time without launch control. Follow the jump for the numbers.

With:
    0-30: 1.61
    0-45: 2.64
    0-60  http://http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Features/articleId=130988_1";return(with 1 foot of rollout like on a dragstrip): 3.53
    0-60: 3.83
    0-75: 5.29
    1/4 mile @ mph: 11.77 @ 118.63

Without LC:
    0-30: 2.3 
    0-45: 3.2
    0-60  http://http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Features/articleId=130988_2";return(with 1 foot of rollout like on a dragstrip): 4.0
    0-60: 4.3
    0-75: 5.8 
    1/4 mile @ mph: 12.3 @ 118.5

Comments: "After trying every combination of suspension settings, shift protocol, automatic and manual shift, and traction control, I tried a completely default run (Normal: shift, suspension, trac) and it effectively tied my all-R / Manual shifted run. Big bog out of the hole, but then it goes like stink."

GTR Graph.jpg

The Blue line represents the GT-R w/ launch control, the red line is w/o.

There you have it. 4.3 instead of 3.83.

Let the GT-R bashing begin!

Mike Magrath, Vehicle Testing Assistant @ 13,185 miles

http://blogs.edmunds.com/roadtests/2008/12/2009-nissan-gt-r-how-fast-without-launch-control.html#more 

--

Neither the drag number nor skidpad number are  impressive for the GT-r according to tons of magazine tests.

Now the question is how can such a big,slow car achieve those fast laptime?(Nring,TopGear,Silverstone,etc) 

Spyderidol:
    There will be a GTR in the FIA GT championship racing in the GT1 class. the car will make its debut at the 2009 24H of Spa and compete for the whole season in 2010.

An Awd race car or an RWD one?If Awd is allow on FIA GT,that will be very interesting.If not ,it makes on sense.

Actually this car will not even have a normal GTR engine but rather a V8

MKSGR:

Just found this video (source: Motor Trend):

www.youtube.com/watch?v=5a8YSUotXho

It appears that the GTR is really slow at higher speeds. 0-300 far above 1 minute Smiley

The current edition of SportAuto confirms that the GTR is even significantly slower than the current (non-FL version) of the 997TT at higher speeds. This is consistent with the above video.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    804552 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448920 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266617 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90260 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6885 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

886363 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    835056 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM