Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayenne Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

3.0Ltr Diesel Cayenne confirmed!

Out of reliable source I learned that Porsche has confirmed a further developed Audi 3.0Ltr Diesel Engine for the use in the Cayenne. Introduced with the next Cayenne Generation in 2009.

Further on, the 12 Zylinder Diesel which is under develoment at Audi is still under discussion, as both Diesel Engines are also under discussion for the Panamera.

Re: 3.0Ltr Diesel Cayenne confirmed!

Quote:
    Lars997 said:
    Out of reliable source I learned that Porsche has confirmed a further developed Audi 3.0Ltr Diesel Engine for the use in the Cayenne. Introduced with the next Cayenne Generation in 2009.

Next generation Cayenne in 2009?

i thought they said no diesel due to excess weight issues?

3.0 Ltr Diesel in Cayenne and Panamera

Guys, this source is very very reliable I would not doubt if he fail his prediction.

Think about a nice 3ltr Diesel a la the BMW 3.0sd, which delivers nearly 300 HP. I think this goes pretty sweat with an already heavy Cayenne.

The BMW X3/X5 3.0sd have fantastic engines, plenty power to propel the Cayenne. I loved my 530d in the uk and that was not evey turbo charged (V6). I would really consider a Cayenne diesel with 25-30mpg back over in the UK. So Porsche yes please (say 2010?)

Cheers,

Mark

The Porsche junior is back.... Money talks...

Guys, need to start somewhere! (never owned a Porsche before hence junior however money..... not sure )

Cheers,

Mark

Quote:
    Markdsv said:
    I loved my 530d in the uk and that was not evey turbo charged (V6).

The 530d is turbocharged. The vanes on mine shattered and were sucked through the engine causing total failure at 15,000 miles and required a new engine to be fitted.

Quote:
    Markdsv said:
    I loved my 530d in the uk and that was not evey turbo charged (V6).

And to make the answer completely correct, the 3.0 BMW diesels are no V6's, but straight-line-sixcilinders...

I don't want to go OT, but I've always wondered if that has an impact on interior spacing

Technically a straight six is longer than a V6 (only 3 cilinders long), a V8 (4 cilinders long). The only thing that theoretically matches the lenght of a straight 6 is a V12. I've always tought that this is a disadvantage, when you look at a 3 series the engine bay has to be roomy enough for 6 cilinders in a row, whereas Mercedes' C-class can suffice with a length to house 4 cilinders (like the V8 from the new AMG model)

Looking forward to your toughts

Quote:
    Porsche_lover said:

And to make the answer completely correct, the 3.0 BMW diesels are no V6's, but straight-line-sixcilinders...

Sorry my friend but the BMW 3ltr diesel engines are V6 engines. You are confused with the 2.5, 3 etc petrol engines as they are straight six engines. So no impact on the interior although I don't think this has been an issue anyway. My E30 325 (1990) had a straight six and I really loved the normally aspirated engine.

The engine bay will easily hold a 4 or 6 cylinder engine. The V6 setup for the diesel engine was chosen as this makes the engine run very smooth (a better cylinder phasing to accommodate each stroke).

Happy New Year !

Cheers,

Mark

Quote:
    ISUK said:

The 530d is turbocharged.

Thanks, so you learn things every day !

Quote:
    Markdsv said:
    Quote:
    Porsche_lover said:

Sorry my friend but the BMW 3ltr diesel engines are V6 engines. You are confused with the 2.5, 3 etc petrol engines as they are straight six engines. So no impact on the interior although I don't think this has been an issue anyway. My E30 325 (1990) had a straight six and I really loved the normally aspirated engine.

The engine bay will easily hold a 4 or 6 cylinder engine. The V6 setup for the diesel engine was chosen as this makes the engine run very smooth (a better cylinder phasing to accommodate each stroke).

Happy New Year !

Cheers,

Mark

Hello Mark,

Just double checked to make sure... The German website reads "Reihen-Sechszylinder-Diesel", the English one "Six-cylinder in-line diesel engine with four-valve technology" so it is a straight line engine. I'm not mistaken

If I'm not wrong BMW is one of the few engine builders that makes straight six engines, not? I suppose they are quit good at it, but still a V-shaped engine should be more compact. Suppose that BMW would give it's 3 series the same engine line as Mercedes for their C-class (longest engine: 4 cilinder in line diesel or V8), and not there current 6 in-line, they would save the length of 2 cilinders in the engine room. I have always convinced myself that this would be interesting for interior spacing.

Best wishes for you too

Quote:
    Porsche_lover said:
    Just double checked to make sure...

I should have checked Sorry you are absolutely right, I eat my head. And I thought I knew cars and engines I have had my 530d for over 3 years and I thought she had a V6 and was not turbo charged, I am shocked

Thanks for putting me straight ! (again I eat my shoes, sorry)

Cheers,

Mark

Hello Mark,

No prob. When you have such a car it's better to drive it than to study the manual and the tech specs... Just enjoy driving your cars

Besides, there are more people that make mistakes when it comes to engines and cars. "The latest 911 (997) has a aircooled straight six engine" is probably the worst I have ever heard So you're not even close

Kind regards

PS: Not everyone has had the "luxury" to drive a normal aspirated diesel engine in a normal car (not a big truck). Once you have driven one of those, you will never doubt whether or not your diesel car has a turbo. The car I drive is a N/A diesel euro-hatchback. It's a 1.9 diesel with 70 ps, it takes a little under 16 sec to get to 100 kmh (but hey it's cheap to run, insure and reliable; and fun to drive: a FWD that's sensitive for lift off oversteer )

Guys,
    What's wrong with a diesel engine? I heard something about americans don't like diesels generally, is that correct?
    In europ a lot of cars are diesels, and why not?
    Especially heavier cars (aka "trucks" ) are often diesel cars...
    -Joost-

Quote:
    Joost said:
    What's wrong with a diesel engine? I heard something about americans don't like diesels generally, is that correct?
    -Joost-

Nothing wrong with Diesel engines and in Europe the improved mpg will give the good 'old' diesel definitely the upper hand.

Not many diesels here in Oman as petrol is only 7Euro cent per liner . A friend of mine tried to get the X5 3.0sd to take with him when he moved back to holland, no luck though, the BMW dealer said that the diesel version was not released in the ME.

Cheers,

Mark

Quote:
    Joost said:
    Guys,
    -Joost-

In USA, diesel engines are actually an expensive option, as petrol is the norm. For a Ford truck, to get a diesel engine, it's between $3000 and $5000 USD extra. Added to that is the fact that diesel fuel is actually more expensive than 91 octane gasoline, at least here on the west coast. The added fuel economy doesn't always make sense given these two facts, as one would have to drive it for quite a while to break even on the investment. Diesel vehicles have sort of a "tough guy" image... construction workers for hauling/towing loads, or those in need of better torque.

A while back (30 years now?) I believe it was General Motors (GM) that converted a huge number of gasoline engines to run on diesel in respones to the gasoline shortage of that time. The converted engines were a complete disaster, and spoiled the market for diesels for quite some time. Diesels here have the reputation for being loud and dirty, due largely IMHO to the old Mercedes diesels with a million miles still driving around billowing smoke.

But I think the economics are the biggest issue: higher engine price+higher fuel price=low interest.

Thanks for enlightening me guys!
    -Joost-

Quote:
    Joost said:
    Guys,
    -Joost-

Diesel pasenger cars are still banned in NY state and California because they pollute too much... Add the noise level to that and the higher prices of cars and fuel, and you see how americans don't want diesel cars. Nor does Switzerland BTW...

Me loves my diesel .

But really, the new engines are getting ever cleaner and the amount of usable midrange torque actually makes them ideal for your circumstances. Add to that the much lower consumption and the decision becomes much easier.

Petrol engines on Cayenne have got a fuel consumption far too high.
    With the CTT i was doing something like 25 to 30l/100km....far too few i think

I love my Bimmer Diesel (330d). The car runs like hell, the Power feels almost like in the Carrera. And this with a consumption of 7.5 ltr/100km.

I had a 330i for testdrive, feels by far not that strong and the consumption was on 12.5 ltr/100km. No reason to go for an Petrol car!

In Germany 80% of the X5, M Class, GLs, etc. are Diesel! One of the weakest point of sale for the Cayenne. Many people would get one if the consumption would be right and this is to achieve with the Diesel.

I also think diesel needs to be introduced into the line..

Maybe they can make a diesel hybrid. That should yield the ultimate gas mileage.

Audi will soon have a new 3,0 TDI 300hp, 650Nm. I guess this is the one Porsche will use.

Quote:
    mv said:
    Audi will soon have a new 3,0 TDI 300hp, 650Nm. I guess this is the one Porsche will use.

That is going to make for one hell of an A5 .

Quote:
    mv said:

excactly thats the one. But Porsche will "pimp" it before implating into the Cayenne.

Quote:
    teamyonex said:
    Quote:
    Joost said:
    Guys,
    -Joost-

In USA, diesel engines are actually an expensive option, as petrol is the norm. For a Ford truck, to get a diesel engine, it's between $3000 and $5000 USD extra. Added to that is the fact that diesel fuel is actually more expensive than 91 octane gasoline, at least here on the west coast. The added fuel economy doesn't always make sense given these two facts, as one would have to drive it for quite a while to break even on the investment. Diesel vehicles have sort of a "tough guy" image... construction workers for hauling/towing loads, or those in need of better torque.

A while back (30 years now?) I believe it was General Motors (GM) that converted a huge number of gasoline engines to run on diesel in respones to the gasoline shortage of that time. The converted engines were a complete disaster, and spoiled the market for diesels for quite some time. Diesels here have the reputation for being loud and dirty, due largely IMHO to the old Mercedes diesels with a million miles still driving around billowing smoke.

But I think the economics are the biggest issue: higher engine price+higher fuel price=low interest.

No that's not it.

Problem 1.

The US is a "consuming" based economy. They don't know what it means to save..they were never in a situation where they had "nothing" like western Europe was in after the war. Diesel engines last...American's dont understand the aspect of saving.

The direct engine diesels require high grade diesel, they won't work with the US's "dirty diesel.

If the US became a major user of diesel there wouldn't be enough in the world. Western Europe takes all of the "dirty" oil the US CANT use to make unleaded and premium gasolines and Europe uses that to make diesel.
    Having the US all of a sudden interested in diesel would cause a sever imbalance in the refinining of oil.

Hi RR4,

I don't agree with you regarding diesel quality in the US.

Yes, up until very recently, diesel in the US had a lot of sulfur which would clog direct fuel injection systems. As of MY 2007, the amount of sulfur was reduced from a 500 ppm to 15ppm. Therefore, theoritically, all european diesel engines should work in the US (however they may not be 50 states compliant regarding NOx).

Here in Europe, since 2005 we are at 50ppm of Sulfur and we will go down to 10 ppm in 2009.

Bottom line for once the US is ahead of Europe on that topic and Today, diesel in the US is "cleaner" than in Europe. On the top of that to be 50 states compliant, NOx has to be lower than in Europe hence the urea technology in the US.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky The moment I've been waiting for... 5/18/22 8:03 AM
    RCA

572550 1305
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/23/22 1:43 PM
    Rossi
    222095 1179
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/18/22 6:34 AM
    GnilM
    111041 957
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/1/22 7:14 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    108016 405
    Porsche Sticky Porsche Taycan Turbo S - Short Review 1/3/22 7:55 AM
    Rossi
    89191 531
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 1/15/22 10:41 PM
    watt
    31397 1
    Porsche Cayman GT4 10/5/21 7:04 PM
    Topspeed
    511611 3587
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017) 9/28/21 3:25 AM
    WhoopsyM
    426915 3507
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 2/1/22 10:14 PM
    SSO.
    423848 3954
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991.2 GT3 RS (2018) 11/17/21 5:18 PM
    Rossi
    387247 3256
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 2/1/22 9:49 AM
    RCA
    364489 2655
    Porsche 992 GT3 5/13/22 3:48 PM
    Grant
    346051 3536
    Porsche OFFICIAL: The new Porsche 992 – a design icon and high-tech sports car 9/29/21 1:59 AM
    watt
    289213 1587
    Porsche Donor vehicle for Singer Vehicle Design 2/10/22 9:08 PM
    Topspeed
    137317 772
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 4/25/22 7:26 PM
    bluelines
    134390 1388
    McLaren F1 7/10/21 7:43 AM
    BiTurbo
    110635 209
    AMG AMG GT R 3/13/22 8:52 PM