Crown

Board: BMW M Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: BMW X5 (F15) revealed

MKSGR:

Today the picture has changed - the new AWD Audis feel better and more refined than most BMWs. Audi gained a lot in comparison to BMW. Not to speak about design...

Another problem seems to be technology: One of our admins had a BMW 7 series as a company car and he always had electronics issues. It went so far that this guy actually switched to a Mercedes S class (he isn't a big fan of Mercedes) to be happy and he was happy to get rid of the 7 series BMW. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), 991 Turbo S (Oct. 5th), BMW X3 35d (2013)

This is not a good look.  BMW made a big mistake not pursuing the X7 - There is very little competition in this market and RR is having a great time selling in China, US without an equal

I think BMW is going downhill very quickly.

First off, I find their new design direction to be very dire.
    - I found the outgoing X5 to be a conservative but attractive SUV and hoped BMW would add some athleticism to it, but the F15 is overstyled in some parts [fog lights, silver strakes in the air intakes], looks generally stunted and disproportionate and it looks too much like the outgoing model to be considered an all-new one.
    - The new 1 Series with its headlights being bigger than the grille. Enough said.
    - The 3/4 Series have unattractive noses; whoever thought of visually integrating the headlights with the kidney grille needs to be fired. Also, the last 3 Series sedan/coupe had LED taillights; how could the newer, more 'modern' models switch to conventional bulbs? Unacceptable.
    - The facelifted 5 and 7 Series look almost exactly the same as their pre-facelifted counterparts. I know facelifts can be subtle, but BMW shouldn't even bother at the rate they're going [and people blast Porsche's designers for being lazy... at least you can see clear visual differences between the 955/957 and 997.1/997.2]. Adding four centimeters of chrome in the front lip is NOT a facelift.
    - Speaking of chrome, its use needs to be regulated otherwise it looks tacky and overwrought. Just a pointer, BMW.

Not impressed at all; any hope I once had at considering a BMW is now completely gone. Audi is definitely getting a leg up in the market - if only they could improve their steering feel so their vehicles feel less like being connected to a PlayStation - and I hope their new design direction of less-is-more/no more same sausage, different casing size comes out successful. Apparently the forthcoming Q7 replacement will preview the new design with the production grille based on the CrossLane concept and simpler, cleaner design cues.

Here's hoping.

rulesdontapply

--

2008 Porsche Boxster S PDE2
    2012 Porsche Cayenne S

Carlos from Spain:

It looks like one of those chinese BMW knock offsangry

Smiley

I was going to buy an M6 convertible for the summer, had a great deal on a 3-months old one.. figured that I'd sell it in the fall - then checked the market and spoke to the dealers- they told me that the market is incredibly soft on these cars and people get scared of the RWD with 500+ horses going to the back wheels.  The M6 convertible is the only good looking BMW out of the whole model range.  But it is incredibly stupid in terms of RWD & weight issues.

And this current X5 is unbelievable fugly.  BMW need to jump through hoops to get me as a customer in the future.

--

2012 Cayenne TT, looking for a nice 4-seater sports car to answer my call :)

BlackSparrow:

I was going to buy an M6 convertible for the summer, had a great deal on a 3-months old one.. figured that I'd sell it in the fall - then checked the market and spoke to the dealers- they told me that the market is incredibly soft on these cars and people get scared of the RWD with 500+ horses going to the back wheels.  The M6 convertible is the only good looking BMW out of the whole model range.  But it is incredibly stupid in terms of RWD & weight issues.

Welcome to the Club. Smiley My wife isn't too happy with her X3 35d decision (she had a M3 Cab before that) and there was that slightly used M6 Cab looker at our dealer she instantly fell in love with. Dealer made a very good offer, car was cheaper than expected (not fully loaded but well optioned) but in no way was she able to get out of the new X3 35d lease contract without taking a huge hit (aprox. 20k EUR). No way...but she really liked the car.

I agree, the M6 Coupe and the M6 Cab are the best looking BMWs right now.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), 991 Turbo S (Oct. 5th), BMW X3 35d (2013)

I think the 1 series cab is well proportioned - it has a cheeky character and has connected well with the younger generation. The 6 is a very long car - not really suited for UK roads. (I contemplated a used one before getting my 991 - astonishing deals were available on 6 month ex-management cars) but it would have been a real struggle to fit into my garage. I did really like the head-up display though.

--

991 (what a car!) XC90 - Black/Black 2 kids, 1 dog

I agree with you, the 1 series cabrio looks very nice, but it is based on the previous shape. When the new one comes , I don't think it will look as good judging by the hatchback.

The 6 series is the type of car I don't like. Too big but with little accommodation, pretending to be a sports GT. The 640i I drove extensively was very civilized but nothing special. Just another motorway car. Better buy an honest 5 series saloon, save money and have a practical car.  

--

"Form follows function"

I must admit, I'm tempted to get a 118d as the deals right now seem pretty good. Just can't reconcile a diesel convertible in my head!!

--

bridggar:

I must admit, I'm tempted to get a 118d as the deals right now seem pretty good. Just can't reconcile a diesel convertible in my head!!

Part of the pleasure in a convertible, is the engine sound. OTOH, with diesel you will take joy at the pumps. It all depends on the mileage you will be doing with the car.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:
    bridggar:

Part of the pleasure in a convertible, is the engine sound. OTOH, with diesel you will take joy at the pumps. It all depends on the mileage you will be doing with the car.

Very well put. My wife's M3 Cabriolet was a whale, heavy, not really what someone would expect from a M3 but the sound was divine and I sometimes enjoyed the ride just for the sound.

We had a 3 series Cab loaner once, a Diesel. The engine was pretty powerful (had over 200 Diesel horses). This car was so boring, my wife hated it. Basically, the same car (the Diesel had more torque, thus felt more powerful in the city but the lack of exhaust sound made the ride miserable).

A Chevrolet Camaro Cab with full options and leather and a nice sounding powerful V8 is around 43k EUR over here in Germany. Brandnew. Slightly used testcars are under 39k. I would take one of these over any BMW 1 series Diesel Cabs in a heartbeat. You also get 3 years warranty (up to 100000 km) and you can add another two years of warranty to it afterwards. Really not bad.

$(KGrHqVHJEgFGH3tLB01BRl3Uf3UO!~~_27.JPG

--

nice, but the steering wheel is in the wrong place.

--

Really RC, the car is soo big and plastic, it's terrible IMO.

--

1991 BMW 535i Granitsilber/White Leather

Ex: '91 BMW 318i, '89 BMW 525i, '74 Mercedes-Benz 280E, '87 BMW 325is, '86 BMW 325e, '05 Ford Focus ZX4 S, '85.5 Porsche 944

Atzporsche:

Really RC, the car is soo big and plastic, it's terrible IMO.

Not if you live in a region with tons of BMWs at every single street corner. Smiley

We have a couple of Camaros, Ford Mustang GTs and some Dodge Challengers here and people love them. They are affordable, they sound/look great and they are different from the usual BMW/Mercedes stuff driving around for the same money (usually underpowered Diesels). The image of these US cars is (still) an issue though but it has improved.

--

amazon:

Audi's are nicer but... Bmw's drive better. Period. 

Steering feel is too light, no feedback, not to mention that most audi's are front wheel drive. What the best bmw's are lacking right now are 4wd, better looks and interiors, and they could use more torque.

still, i prefer bmw's because they drive better. 

As much as I dislike the styling of some of their models, I have to agree.

BMW's ride tuning is better (Audi has always been subpar on that front, imho).  And Audi's steering feel has always been non-existent. 

Enmanuel:

I don't know, I don't hate it. but it does seem to have less character than the previous. 

Finally saw one on the streets yesterday and I have to say I do hate it now. It's so bland and bloated. The previous generation had much more personality and looked more "muscluar" in a way. The current one looks like it just stoped going to the gym and all the muscle turned to fat. 

Pardon the analogies, I just signed up at the gym and it's all the talk i've been hearing for the last few days. Smiley

You saw one already ? I thought they will be only from december on at the dealers ?

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Enmanuel:
    Enmanuel:

I don't know, I don't hate it. but it does seem to have less character than the previous. 

Finally saw one on the streets yesterday and I have to say I do hate it now. It's so bland and bloated. The previous generation had much more personality and looked more "muscluar" in a way. The current one looks like it just stoped going to the gym and all the muscle turned to fat. 

Pardon the analogies, I just signed up at the gym and it's all the talk i've been hearing for the last few days. Smiley

IMO, the first X5 was a game changer in the segment. I loved my '04 4.8is and regret parting with it.  Every other manufacturer tried to achieve the same standard. Then they got complacent and have been overtaken by others, although it's still better looking than the Audi Q series. Reminds me of Blackberry. Smiley

Gnil:

You saw one already ? I thought they will be only from december on at the dealers ?

I saw it driving near my house. But I had seen the same one parked in the BMW showroom a few days earlier. So maybe it's a dealer car. Although I highly doubt it because dealers here for "luxury" brands don't get many dealer cars, almost all of their inventory are customer cars. 

Enmanuel:
    Enmanuel:

I saw the same brown one here in Kuwait at night on two separate nights and I think it's a mess. Exactly as you said, Enmanuel, absolutely bland and bloated with ZERO personality. It looks like a botched facelift of the previous X5 which was supremely more self-assured and confident in its looks and still looks good today.

On a side note - I just signed up at the gym too! More power to you, amigo.

rulesdontapply

--

2008 Porsche Boxster S PDE2
    2012 Porsche Cayenne S

rulesdontapply:

On a side note - I just signed up at the gym too! More power to you, amigo.

Smiley

I have seen a few new X5s now. The lighter the color the worse it looks. Thought a white one was a X3 unless I got up close to it. I have owned many BMWs over the last 18years and had 3 of them until a few months ago.  I don't think I will own anymore once my leases are finished. The only advantage I think have over their competitors is the iDrive system  which is the best I have seen. Nothing else. I feel very sad saying this after being such a BMW fan. 

--

2013 BMW 750 xDrive MSport & 2012 x5 - TurboS Cab on Order Mar14. Range Rover V8 on order June14

I want to buy  a SUV by next summer  .   in 2001 I had the 1st generation X5 and loved it ( 4.4 ) .

I tried the new RRS and came out disappointed as It felt very boring .

The Cayenne is great , but  the boot space is too small + I need the extra 3rd row + my wife does not want to drive a Porsche .

The Q7 is ugly and old now.

The GL is too big

So…. the only one left is the X5 . I will try one soon .  I do find it also ugly , but my wife , on photos, thinks it looks good…….. So, I will see . Will drop by the dealer today .

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Why don't you consider the Touareg? An honest SUV, nice clean design, good space, practical , variety of engines, good value and it doesn't pretend to be something else. I drove the small V6 TDI and was very impressed, including off road and snow with normal tyres.

New Q7 arriving at the dealers Spring 2015.

--

"Form follows function"

Reginos : The Touareg does not have the 3rd row of seats. I have 3 boys and often we go places where they want to bring friends along.

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

You have an above average size family for CH. Enjoy life with them in good health  wink

--

"Form follows function"

Gnil:

I tried the new RRS and came out disappointed as It felt very boring .

Can you elaborate? Did you try the supercharged with dynamic package?

New XC90 next year - no idea what it'll be like. (can't be worse than current model!)

--

SciFrog:

Can you elaborate? Did you try the supercharged with dynamic package?

I tried the SDV6 ( diesel ) and the V6 supercharged , both 3 liters  with dynamic package .

The handling was not the problem for me . This was pretty good , driving more or less '' normally '' on country roads. Meaning it went around bends ' flat' and I did not have a problem with understeer , but again, I did not push it very hard , but still driving faster around corners then normal drivers .

The problem to me was the engine . The diesel felt so numb , even if it went well. It was very linear and emotionless . Now this could well suit the average RR driver as it is ' comfortable ' . I was bored . Maybe it is also that I can just not get used to these diesel that change gear at 4'000 rpm.

The V6 supercharged felt more alive and ' nervous' , which suits me better , as you could fell the engine pull when going into higher revs . But then, this engine was a bit on the weak side for such a heavy load and , in the long run I can well imagine that one would get tired to rev a SUV .

I did not try the V8 supercharged, even though the dealer offered me to try one, as I was not going to buy that engine anyway  due to the fact that most of the time, my wife will be driving this car , and she does not need such a type of engine + I don't actually want the fuel consumption that goes with it .

Now I look at the X5 40D or the 50i

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Thank you. Like most people here (including me) we seem to be always wanting for more power kiss

Your conclusion is a bit illogic, but it seems that what you need is a higher power diesel engine. I thought there was one in europe...

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky The moment I've been waiting for... 10/25/21 12:29 AM
    Pilot

500522 1291
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 11/8/21 7:43 PM
    Leawood911
    181336 1154
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 12/5/21 9:31 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    71928 384
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 11/25/21 6:30 PM
    watt
    67392 686
    Porsche Sticky Porsche Taycan Turbo S - Short Review 11/19/21 6:44 AM
    bluelines
    53380 529
    Porsche Sticky ROAD TEST: New 992 Carrera 4S 3/3/21 10:57 PM
    Wonderbar
    49134 336
    Porsche Sticky Porsche extends the Taycan model range (Taycan 2WD) 2/1/21 12:42 PM
    Leawood911
    13487 29
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 11/18/21 3:28 PM
    RCA
    581 0
    Porsche Cayman GT4 10/5/21 7:04 PM
    Topspeed
    474833 3587
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017) 9/28/21 3:25 AM
    WhoopsyM
    390224 3507
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 11/25/21 12:31 AM
    WhoopsyM
    386431 3949
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991.2 GT3 RS (2018) 11/17/21 5:18 PM
    Rossi
    351840 3256
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 10/8/21 11:41 AM
    xpto
    321840 2647
    Porsche 992 GT3 12/5/21 3:49 PM
    steelested
    280913 3152
    Porsche OFFICIAL: The new Porsche 992 – a design icon and high-tech sports car 9/29/21 1:59 AM
    watt
    254981 1587
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Panamera (2016) 2/11/21 9:22 AM
    Itsme
    169456 1379
    Lambo Lamborghini Huracan and variants 4/9/21 4:32 PM
    Topspeed
    120157 1225
    Porsche Donor vehicle for Singer Vehicle Design 9/22/21 1:28 AM
    Leawood911
    104579 749
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 12/4/21 12:36 AM