Crown

Board: Motor Sports Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

2011 Malaysian F1 Grand Prix in Sepang

Well, a new season got underway in Melbourne but it's still more or less the same guys in the same cars fighting at the top ...

One big difference in Sepang will be the fact that Red Bull is expected to fit its KERS device to the car for this race. How much will that benefit/hinder them is uncertain. Adrian Newey has been against it since it would compromise the RB car's aero efficiency - but now it seems RB has little choice except to fit it.

The heat and humidity will be interesting - I expect much higher tyre degradation in Malaysia than in Australia.

I thought the DRS (drag reduction system) was mostly a gimmick in Melbourne. Let's see if it has any real benefit on tracks with longer straights.

I'm glad that Pirelli is going to adjust the tyre markings to make them easier to read.

At the moment, Vettel is in his own league due to his car and the fact that he has got more out of it than Webber could. I would like to see what Vettel could do when/if he ever outperforms the car ...

I'm finding the battles between Alonso, Hamilton, Massa and Button less interesting ... what is exciting me more is to see the new talent on the grid. Guys like Perez and Di Resta could be great for F1. It was also really great to see Petrov move tangibly from a rookie to a solid performer. Well done to him Smiley

I also thought that Barrichello is now past his best-before date. The way he ruined Rosberg's race by driving recklessly into him was criminal. He may have raced more than anyone else but his driving makes him look inexperienced IMO.

I wonder if Heidfeld will wake up - he was quick in testing but Petrov totally outshone him. Will he justify his selection in Sepang?

I also think this could (and should) be Webber's last season in F1. Nice guy - no doubt - but Red Bull could build for the future - maybe get someone with potential like Hulkenberg?

The other unknown is whether Schumi will perform again. Unfortunately, we couldn't really tell whether he has rediscovered his speed and consistency since he was unable to run for long in Melbourne. Perhaps Sepang will shed more light on this.

Another early start - can't wait till the races return to Europe so I can get a bit more sleep on the weekends ... Smiley

Roll on Sepang Smiley

--

RT Moderator 
    - 997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm sports suspension/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Re: 2011 Malaysian F1 Grand Prix in Sepang

Another early start - can't wait till the races return to Europe so I can get a bit more sleep on the weekends ... Smiley

Roll on Sepang Smiley

I record these, easy, and then wake at a sensible hour being careful not to hear the result via the radio..Need my beauty sleep, bud...Smiley..

Go go go, Webber, really hope he can because the first 4 races will be crucial for points and self belief.If MW gets behind early then I feel he may get the hump with the favoritism issue..

--

throt

"I didn't do it"

Yeah, I know, I can always record them too - but it's not the same - I love to watch these things live ... it's more exciting - plus, I like to watch the BBC F1 Forum afterwards - you can only really do that if you already know the result and have watched what they are talking about and analysing in detail.

Take Melbourne - the BBC coverage on Sunday morning was 0600-1000. 0600-0700 was the pre-race build up. 0700-0900 was the race, podium ceremony and press conference. 0900-1000 was the F1 Forum on the Red Button. If I am going to start watching a recording after it's all over, I would watch from 0900-1300 or 1000-1400. That's half my Sunday gone ... so it doesn't really work for me.

One other factor - my wife doesn't wake up for the flyaway races (with an early start) - so when she gets up, we're eager to get on with getting ready and having a nice weekend breakfast before doing whatever we've got planned for the day ...

Having said all that, this last weekend was really unusual - I only got 3 hours' sleep on Friday night and 1 hour's sleep on Saturday night. Too much to do - social commitments, planning a driving tour of Florida, plus there was Cricket, the Boat Race and F1, so sleep just gets sacrificed ...

--

RT Moderator - 997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm sports suspension/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

There is no way I'm loosing sleep for a F1 race, I tape them then I can also fast foward over the comertial breaks too 

Briatore says Ferrari should ditch this season and start preparing for 2012 

http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/f1-briatore-tells-ferrari-to-focus-on-the-2012-car/

F1: Briatore Tells Ferrari To ‘Focus On The 2012 Car’
    Fernando Alonso's manager Flavio Briatore doesn't see Ferrari catching Red Bull in 2011...
    Flavio Briatore has advised Ferrari to write off 2011 after this year's 150 Italia car struggled in Melbourne last weekend.

The Italian team, featuring Fernando Alonso as its lead driver, is currently investigating why the new car was not as good in Australia after a promising winter test campaign.

"It may sound absurd, but I think Ferrari should focus on the 2012 car now," Briatore, the ousted former Renault boss and Alonso's manager, is quoted as saying by Finland's Turun Sanomat.

"Ferrari, of course, have all the engineering skills and resources that you need, but the half-second difference to Red Bull is an eternity," he added.

Briatore said that gap cannot be closed in two months, by which time Sebastian Vettel could be unassailable "if Red Bull maintain their condition and he (Vettel) keeps the same lead on Mark Webber."

The flamboyant Italian also reinforced his criticism of Michael Schumacher's continuing F1 comeback.

"I've always been against it — a 40-year-old can never be the same as someone who is 20. Michael is half-retired already and his great career is having a nasty end," said Briatore.

Meanwhile, 10-time GP winner Gerhard Berger agrees with Briatore that Red Bull is unlikely to be caught by its rivals this year.

"Why should there be a big change?" the Austrian told Bild newspaper. "All the same people will all keep working, so I don't foresee a turning point."

--

There may be some reverse psychology going on here - Briatore is Alonso's manager. If Ferrari's ego hasn't been hurt enough already to prod them to action, this comment from Flavio surely will prompt them to work 24 hours a day to try to turn it around.

--

RT Moderator 
    - 997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm sports suspension/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Briatori is an expert in those arts. IMO Ferrari needs a guy like Briatore to run the team with an iron hand like Todt, Domenicalli is too weak. I always hoped Schummacher would become Ferrari team manager one day, with his experience and fist hand knowledge, and tough & hardworking personality he would have been priceless. The only unknown is how Schumy and Alonso would click together given their history in the last years of Schumy in Ferrari, if they would have been able to put it behind them... but thats all lost know when Schumy swiftly left "his family" to pursue an ill advised return to F1 in another team.

--

Charlie Whitting confrims that RB front wing is legal inspite of how much more it flexes. Seems the other teams were putting pressure on Whitting to strengthen the tests since they believe RB's wing is against the spirit of the anti-flexion regulations of the FIA. But RB have managed to have it flex and still pass the tests so the rest of the teams should worry about copying it, they better get to work and stop complaining, thats F1, you snooze you loose.

So if we were expecting to see a more evenly matched season than last year's we are out of luck it seems because by the time othe rteams are able to copy it the season will be over. We will know for sure this weekend during classification, if the RB pulls 0,5sec again over their rivals then we know its not an australia rack thing and that they have no answer against the RB.

http://www.planetf1.com/news/3213/6844400/Whiting-Red-Bull-s-wing-is-legal?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+jaf1%2Fplanetf1+(PlanetF1+News)

Charlie Whiting has dismissed claims by Red Bull's rivals that the reigning World Champs are running an illegal front wing.

Following Sebastian Vettel's dominant display in both qualifying for the Australian GP and the Sunday evening race, Lewis Hamilton insisted that the German had an unfair advantage.

According to the McLaren driver, Vettel's wing flexes more than the rules allow.

"Did you see Vettel's front wing?" he said. "It bends down to the ground and gives him about half a second."

However, FIA race director Whiting insists there is nothing wrong with the front wing of the RB7.

"We found nothing unusual," Whiting told The Bild.

"For the front wing, the test conditions were even harder now. Vettel's car was always in order."

--

Red Bull's Christian Horner has a knack for putting his foot in it ...

He intended to scotch rumours of Hamilton going to Red Bull one day ...

But said that a Vettel-Hamilton pairing wouldn't work ...

http://www.planetf1.com/news/3213/6853426/Horner-Seb-Lewis-Line-Up-Won-t-Work

But that begs the question - why does a Vettel-Webber pairing work? Is it because Webber is more accepting of secondary treatment than Hamilton would be?

--

RT Moderator 

Two strong drivers in the same team is a recipe for losing the title(s) unless the car is so superior that it is beyond competition, like the McLarens were in the 80s early 90s, Lauda-Prost and Prost-Senna.

If there is one or more strong opponent teams, it will most probably end up as the Alonso-Hamilton-Raikkonen scenario of 2007..

--

"Form follows function"

Webber can even accept cars that fly better than they stick to the track!

He still comes back for more. Almost as talented as he is tough.

Practice 1 results

1 2 Mark Webber RBR-Renault 1:37.651   22
    2 3 Lewis Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes 1:39.316 1.665 16
    3 7 Michael Schumacher Mercedes 1:39.791 2.140 29
    4 15 Nico Hulkenberg Force India-Mercedes 1:40.377 2.726 23
    5 12 Pastor Maldonado Williams-Cosworth 1:40.443 2.792 31
    6 6 Felipe Massa Ferrari 1:40.453 2.802 22
    7 9 Nick Heidfeld Renault 1:40.525 2.874 6
    8 11 Rubens Barrichello Williams-Cosworth 1:40.581 2.930 21
    9 5 Fernando Alonso Ferrari 1:40.601 2.950 23
    10 8 Nico Rosberg Mercedes 1:40.646 2.995 29
    11 14 Adrian Sutil Force India-Mercedes 1:40.734 3.083 21
    12 18 Daniel Ricciardo STR-Ferrari 1:40.748 3.097 23
    13 19 Jaime Alguersuari STR-Ferrari 1:40.770 3.119 24
    14 16 Kamui Kobayashi Sauber-Ferrari 1:40.872 3.221 27
    15 4 Jenson Button McLaren-Mercedes 1:40.927 3.276 16
    16 21 Jarno Trulli Lotus-Renault 1:41.620 3.969 21
    17 1 Sebastian Vettel RBR-Renault 1:41.627 3.976 18
    18 17 Sergio Perez Sauber-Ferrari 1:41.642 3.991 24
    19 24 Timo Glock Virgin-Cosworth 1:42.154 4.503 18
    20 25 Jerome d'Ambrosio Virgin-Cosworth 1:42.540 4.889 20
    21 20 Davide Valsecchi Lotus-Renault 1:44.054 6.403 18
    22 23 Vitantonio Liuzzi HRT-Cosworth 1:45.228 7.577 20
    23 22 Narain Karthikeyan HRT-Cosworth 1:46.267 8.616 10
    24 10 Vitaly Petrov Renault 1:47.932 10.281 4

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

7 different teams in the top 7, interesting.

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

they are basically just testong tire compounds in different situations and setups so unfortunately the order does not say much yet
    --

Friday 1st Practice and 2nd Practice lap times

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/results/9418433.stm

--

RT Moderator 

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2011/04/f1-teams-still-on-a-sharp-learning-curve-in-sepang/

James Allen's blog

--

RT Moderator 

Horner's explanation of how the Red Bull front wing meets FIA regs but looks lower in photos - because the rear is higher

http://www.planetf1.com/news/3213/6858208/Horner-Tired-Of-Complaints

--

RT Moderator 

Regarding the pressure on Heidfeld in Sepang of Petrov's performance in Melbourne

http://www.planetf1.com/news/18227/6858791/Heidfeld-denies-he-s-under-pressure

--

RT Moderator 

Saturday Practice lap times

news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/results/9418433.stm

--

RT Moderator 

One of the most exciting qualification sessions I've seen for quite a while!

So close in Q3 between McLaren and Red Bull ...

Vettel vs Hamilton is the main fight ...

Ferrari playing catch up ...

Finally Heidfeld outperforms Petrov.

Rosberg 9 on the grid but he was 6th in Q2 whereas Schumi was 11th in Q2. Who is Schumi fooling? He was great but he is past it now.

Di Resta outperforms Sutil ...

I've been really impressed by Sergio Perez ...

--

RT Moderator 

More than catch up, Ferrari 1 whopping second behind the Redbull and McLaren in the one qualifying lapturtle.gif... Briatore is right, they should give it up and start preparing for next season 

Give'm hell Webber!! Smiley 8

--

Poor Hamilton, Heidfeld ruin his race against Vettel at the start.

Boy those Red Bulls are still very very fast, driving without KERS didn't hurt them much in speed.

How many years have Alonso been driving F1 cars and he made a rookie mistake? Come on, he should have know how much space he need for passing, he is just plain stupid or brain dead when he damaged his own front wing from touching Hamilton's rear tire.

Petrov gave a new meaning to the Flying Lotus.

All in all, Webber should be pleased with the finish result, considering the kack start and doing a 4 stopper. He showed good pace which he should now take to China.

Button, wow, the GB hairdresser actually pushed his pedal fully to the floor....

--

throt

"I didn't do it"

throt:

Button, wow, the GB hairdresser ..............

Is this a new nickname Smiley

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:
    throt:

Button, wow, the GB hairdresser ..............

Is this a new nickname Smiley

--

"Form follows function"

Just from me, reginos...Due to his smooth unaggressive driving style, his a bit of a girl Smiley...

--

throt

"I didn't do it"

Whoopsy:

How many years have Alonso been driving F1 cars and he made a rookie mistake? Come on, he should have know how much space he need for passing, he is just plain stupid or brain dead when he damaged his own front wing from touching Hamilton's rear tire.

Rookie mistake? and you would know from the couch watching it in TV? sorry but at 300km/h driving inches away from each other is not the same as a bender fender in downtown traffic, its not a rookie mistake and very commong in F1 to clip the front wing, he was cutting it very close trying to pass Ham because he was lapping faster than him at that point of the race in particular, and from the middle of the race onwards, Alonso's rear wing mechanism did not work anymore so he could not pass anybody on on the straights. Still a mistake though, that cost him and Ham the race Smiley 20 but if for one like it when Ham and Alo are fighting together like that since there are sparks between those two and the race gets more interesting. Though FIA decided to penalise them both with 20 seconds, Alonso for his mistake leading to a collision (way to promote passing in F1...) and Hamilton for changing direction more than one (weaving) defending against him.

Hamilton had another handicap during the race, he only had one set of soft tires because he made a flat on his other set in training, so he had to use two sets of harder tires at the end of the race.

--

throt:

All in all, Webber should be pleased with the finish result, considering the kack start and doing a 4 stopper. He showed good pace which he should now take to China.

Button, wow, the GB hairdresser actually pushed his pedal fully to the floor....

I heard that his KERS did not work in the start and that is why he lost so many places Smiley 26 poor guy he just can't catch a break! Smiley

--

I think SV will not have it all his own way this season. Alonso and co are showing good race pace alot earlier this season. 

Going to be interesting in China next week with its straights which will be good for Alonso, Massa, Hamilton and last years winner Button...

--

throt

"I didn't do it"

Yay go Vettel!!! That was brilliant and cool dominance. Good to see it's competitive and i liked Alonso's mistake, well done mate, well on your way to take a Ferrari championship

It's an interesting field, McLaren are very fast, but right behind it's still very undecided so it'll be a battle. Mercedes did decent with Schumi beating the Force India's finally. Congrats to Heidfeld, that is a fantastic result indeed!!!

--

Carlos, yes I still think that's a rookie mistake, even at 300km/h, he should be able to know WHERE his car's nose is.

I actually think his eyes wasn't even looking up, he might be checking the gauge, KERS level perhaps and when he look back up he got too close.

From the overhead camera angle, Alonso's Ferrari already had a superior speed advantage, he can pull out to pass quite a bit earlier instead of getting so close.

throt:

I think SV will not have it all his own way this season. Alonso and co are showing good race pace alot earlier this season. 

Going to be interesting in China next week with its straights which will be good for Alonso, Massa, Hamilton and last years winner Button...

Lets hope!  The problem I see is that pole position is half of the race, and SV car is like an F1 amongst GP2 cars so at the beginning of the race he takes off with an open road while everybody else looses time fighting and defending each other, and he comfortably manages his lead until the checkered flag. The championship could not be easier if things don't change and the other drivers don't get to play with the same car performance SV gets.

Unless one of the teams is able to match the RB in qualifying I'm afraid he will rack a bit enough lead in points that would take a mayor disaster by RB to loose the championship. At least the McLarens are showing a lot of improvement so Hamilton may put some pressure.

The Ferrari's seem to have a good race pace but do so horribly  poor in qualifying that they can't use it during the race. The Renaults are a big surprise this season, unfortunately they don't have good enough driver's that can take advantage of it.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part I) Thread Closed 9/24/20 12:47 AM
    watt
    582303 2849
    Porsche Sticky The moment I've been waiting for... 12/30/20 9:03 AM
    rhino

358258 1279
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/10/21 2:32 PM
    Joost
    86570 1085
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/30/21 8:34 PM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    44717 341
    Porsche Sticky ROAD TEST: New 992 Carrera 4S 3/3/21 10:57 PM
    Wonderbar
    35368 336
    Porsche Sticky Porsche Taycan Turbo S - Short Review 10/19/20 6:12 PM
    Leawood911
    33153 380
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/6/21 4:40 AM
    4trac
    16461 342
    Porsche Sticky Porsche extends the Taycan model range (Taycan 2WD) 2/1/21 12:42 PM
    Leawood911
    4390 29
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 GT3 (2017) 7/27/20 2:13 AM
    DJM48
    563903 5257
    Porsche Cayman GT4 5/4/21 4:46 PM
    Topspeed
    403938 3586
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 4/25/21 4:04 PM
    Topspeed
    357551 3916
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017) 4/29/21 7:24 AM
    GnilM
    354325 3494
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991.2 GT3 RS (2018) 4/28/21 12:26 PM
    W8MM
    315490 3252
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 12/8/20 7:51 PM
    DJM48
    309965 2646
    Porsche OFFICIAL: The new Porsche 992 – a design icon and high-tech sports car 2/28/21 8:05 PM
    Topspeed
    217321 1542
    Porsche Tesla Roadster 9/23/20 8:22 PM
    bluelines
    188028 4279
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Panamera (2016) 2/11/21 9:22 AM
    Itsme
    161061 1379
    Others Alfa Romeo 4C 9/23/20 10:22 AM
    RCA
    138160 792
    Porsche 992 GT3 5/7/21 4:00 AM