Crown

Forum - Thread

Porsche 911 GT3 Cup wins Pikes Peak 2010...

Porsche 911 GT3 Cup wins Pikes Peak 2010...

-- Porsche Motorsport Pikes Peak final report --

911-GT3-Cup_Pikes-Peak-2010.jpg

Zwart Wins Pikes Peak Time Attack Class With Porsche 911 GT3 Cup; Breaks Record by 38 Seconds while Finishing Sixth Overall - Ahead of Every Production-based Car Entered...

Colorado Springs -- 27 June 2010 - Jeff Zwart, from Woody Creek, Colorado, driving the specially-prepared Luminox Watch Porsche 911 GT3 Cup race car, has won and set a new record in the 2WD Time Attack class in Sunday's 88th running of the Pikes Peak Hillclimb.

Zwart, now a seven-time Pikes Peak class winner, not only broke Rhys Millen's 2009 class record by 38 seconds (after smashing his qualifying record by 18 seconds), but went faster than all but five of the entire field - three Unlimited Class and two Open Wheels cars, all with 600-plus horsepower. His 911 GT3 Cup car also beat all the production based race cars entries, 2WD and 4WD. Nobulhiro Tajima, from Japan, won the hillclimb overall in an eight-cylinder, turbocharged Suzuki 4WD one-off race car with an Unlimited Class entry.

Zwart said the key to his victory was the confidence that build up every time he drove the car.

"In my previous six victories - all in Porsche street-based turbo cars - I spent most of my practice time trying to tame the car to fit this difficult course; With this Porsche 911 Cup car, it was clear to me from the beginning that the car was challenging me to drive my best, and I went faster every time I stepped behind the wheel. Each time I thought I was asking too much from the car, especially when I carried maximum speed into one of those hairpins, the Porsche responded and challenged me to push even harder," said Zwart.

He also repeated his amazement from Friday's qualifying session that the normally-aspirated car didn't lose horsepower from its 9,000-foot-elevation start and the 14,000-foot finish line. A combination of the 450-hp, 3.8-liter Porsche Cup car engine and expert engine map adjustments from Porsche Motorsport North America gave Zwart the performance of a lifetime.

Zwart again praised the Pirelli road racing rain tires, which he felt held their grip evenly on both the gravel and tarmac surfaces, a necessity as the course has been transformed from all gravel to half and half. Next year, with two more miles of the 12-mile course scheduled for paving, road-racing- based tires will make more sense than ever. The team made some adjustments to tire pressures on all four wheels prior to qualifying. Pirelli had developed a tire for Zwart based on the rain tire they use for the Rolex Grand-Am series.

"Without Luminox Watches, Porsche Motorsport North America, and Pirelli tires support, this victory would not have been possible," said Zwart.

Porsche Motorsport started with a 2007 Cup car, updated it to 2010 specifications, and installed a new 450 horsepower 3.8-liter engine currently in use in the Patron GT3 Challenge, American Le Mans Series Challenge Class, and the Porsche Supercup series. The engine management mapping was modified to perform well in high altitude as the race starts at 9,390 feet and finishes at the summit, 14,110 feet above sea level, and ride height was increased for the gravel sections of the course. The underbody was also modified to protect the car from gravel and stones similar to rally competition. Zwart has now won his class at Pikes Peak - all in Porsches - in 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2002 and 2010, setting new class records four times. Most recently, before this weekend, he co- drove a Porsche Cayenne with Pikes Peak veteran Paul Dallenbach at the challenging TransSyberia Rally (Moscow to Mongolia) in 2007. He also has an SCCA PRO Rally Championship (1990) and a SCORE Baja 1000 class win (2004) to his credit.

-- Porsche Motorsport press release --

Pikes-Peak.jpg

Porsche 911 GT3 Cup to Makes its Debut at Pikes Peak Hillclimb; Six-Time Champion Jeff Zwart Takes Purpose-built Race Car to the “Hill” For the First Time

Colorado Springs -- 21 June 2010 – For the first time since Porsche began production of the 911 GT3 Cup race car in 1989, the car will contest a major international hillclimb including more than five miles of gravel. 

Jeff Zwart, a commercial film director from Woody Creek Colorado, and six-time class winner at the Pikes Peak Hillclimb, will challenge the 2WD Time Attack class with his specially-prepared Luminox Watch Porsche 911 GT3 Cup race car.

With technical support from Porsche Motorsport North America (PMNA) and Pirelli Tires, Zwart will be contesting the 88th running of the hillclimb classic, the second oldest race in America (behind the Indy 500).  Zwart said that running a 2WD, normally aspirated, purpose-built race car up the “Mountain” will be a new experience for him despite his nine starts at Pikes Peak.

“In previous years, I have always taken a street Porsche Turbo and converted it into a race car, but this time, with the help of Porsche and Pirelli, we have taken a race car and modified it for Pikes peak unique half tarmac-half gravel course.  I practiced in the car last week, and was very surprised at the balance, power, and braking the car provided.  The low-ratio sequential gear box keeps me busy through the 156 turns, but it makes the car very quick,” said Zwart.

Porsche Motorsport started with a 2007 Cup car, updated it to 2010 specifications, and installed a new 450 horsepower 3.8-liter engine currently in use in the Patron GT3 Challenge, American Le Mans Series Challenge Class, and the Porsche Supercup series.  The engine management mapping was modified to perform well in high altitude as the race starts at 9,390 feet and finishes at the summit, 14,110 feet above sea level, and ride height was increased for the gravel sections of the course.  The underbody was also modified to protect the car from gravel and stones similar to rally competition.  Pirelli has provided road racing-style rain tires which worked very well both on paved and gravel surfaces during last week’s test.

“This event should show the real versatility of our Cup racer,” said Paul Ritchie, president of Porsche Motorsport North America, Inc.

“With the variety of surfaces and altitude changes, the car was a handful to set up, but, between our  PMNA engineers, Porsche Motorsport engineering consultant Roland Kussmaul – a rally veteran – and great help from Pirelli, we think we have given Jeff a car which will provide his best chance for a win,” said Ritchie.

“I can slide the car across the dirt and grab gears without even lifting,” Zwart added.  “Add to that the car’s behavior on the tarmac – the surface for which the car was built, and we should have a great chance to win.”

Zwart has won his class at Pikes Peak – all in Porsche Turbo street cars – in 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, and 2002, setting new class records three times.  Most recently, he co-drove a Porsche Cayenne with Pikes Peak veteran Paul Dallenbach at the challenging TransSyberia Rally (Moscow to Mongolia) in 2007.  He also has an SCCA PRO Rally Championship (1990) and a SCORE Baja 1000 class win (2004) to his credit.

The Porsche 911 GT3 Cup car, built on the same assembly line in Stuttgart as the street-legal Porsche 911s, is raced all over the world in the Porsche Supercup series as well as various Porsche Carrera Cup and Challenge Cups. New last year was the additional of the American Le Mans Series Challenge class, where the Porsche Cup cars contest the full endurance series run by the Le Mans racers.

The 88th running of Pikes Peak will start official practice on Wednesday, June 23, with Zwart scheduled to run the bottom third of the 12.42-mile course.  The Porsche will run the middle part of the course during Thursday practice, and the top part of the course on Friday. Friday is also Fan Fest in Colorado Springs, and the race Sunday begins at 9:00 AM MDT.

Source: Porsche Motorsport

Smiley SmileySmiley SmileySmiley

Re: Porsche 911 GT3 Cup wins Pikes Peak 2010...

In 2008, the Pikes Peak challenge included Richard Meaden of Evo magazine...

"PIKES PEAK LAMENT" by Richard Meaden

(22 June 2010)

Hardcore motorsport followers amongst you will know that the Pikes Peak International Hill Climb (PPIHC) takes place this coming Sunday 27th June 2010.

It should be an absolute humdinger, thanks to a thrilling trio of cars fighting for honours in the aptly-named ‘Unlimited’ class. For years Nobuhiro ‘Monster’ Tajima has dominated the mountain. Indeed in 2007 he broke Rod Millen’s long-standing course record, coming within just over a second of breaching the mythical 10min barrier. This year he has Rod’s son Rhys, and my former team-mate Paul Dallenbach to beat as well as the mountain itself.

Regular evo readers will know that I was there in ’07. Unfortunately my run ended in a lay-by just beyond the halfway point after the clutch gave-out. I was heartbroken, but hooked. Fortunately I managed to return the following year, in the same crazy car: 750bhp (at sea level), 750kgs and wings the size of barn doors.

It was something akin to strapping yourself to a stick of dynamite and lighting the fuse. To my delight the car ran strong and I didn’t throw it off the mountain, instead reaching the 14,110ft summit with a time good enough for 3rd in class and 5th overall. To this day it remains the most exciting, most 'did-I-really-do-that?' thing I’ve ever done (see video in our video section, below).

So why do I feel sad about Pikes Peak? Aside from wishing I’d had the balls to pile a heap of cash on my mortgage to buy myself one last fix of methanol-burning V8 madness, I’m melancholy because this venerable, spectacular motorsport event is on the brink of changing forever. For years now the Sierra Club (like a wealthier, litigious version of our own National Trust) has campaigned for the Pikes Peak Highway to be paved to Federal standards, because it claims run-off from the loose surface after heavy rain loose surface pollutes surrounding reservoirs. The fact that there are literally thousands of miles of similar mountain trail roads in Colorado is an inconvenient truth.

What does this mean? Well, perhaps as early as next year the entire PPIHC course could well be paved, rather than the bastardised but uniquely challenging mix of tarmac and hard-packed gravel it is currently. And when the gravel finally disappears the glorious rear-wheel-drive Open Wheel cars – already compromised by the current 60:40 split of pavement and gravel - will be rendered obsolete.

Of course some Open Wheel drivers will continue to run their cars, but the sad truth is these cars never feel so alive, or look so spectacularly at home as when dancing on rich ochre-coloured gravel, engine bellowing, red rooster of dust shooting high in the air.

Leonard Arnold, the owner of both ‘my’ car and another driven repeatedly to unbeatable effect by Paul Dallenbach, says that this year’s Pikes Peak will be the last for his glorious cars. When I read that in his email to me a few days ago, I honestly nearly cried.

Practice runs take place early on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday mornings, and times should be posted on the PPIHC website later each day. If the weather and course conditions are good then the 10min barrier is sure to be broken. I for one am hoping Dallenbach reminds everyone exactly what we’ll be missing when his #98 Open Wheel car takes its place in the Pikes Peak museum. As diehard petrolheads I hope you’ll join me in wishing Leonard, Paul and their dedicated crew a safe and successful week at the Peak.

Richard-Meaden_Pikes-Peak-blog_Evo-magazine

Smiley SmileySmiley

I love the short shifter. Almost like paddles.

--

wow, thanks for sharing...

Jeff continues to do very well and the video serves as a reminder of the skill and guts involved. It would be interesting to see Walter give Pikes a shot.

Great find as always Boxster Coupe GTS! 

I appropriated the following picts from 6speed. Notice the sandblasting, or rather gravel blasting the rear of the rockers took on the last picture. Seeing a 911 in the dirt reminds me of times past.

01jeffzwartgt3cup.jpg02jeffzwartgt3cup.jpg03jeffzwartgt3cup.jpg04jeffzwartgt3cup.jpg05jeffzwartgt3cup.jpg07jeffzwartgt3cup.jpg08jeffzwartgt3cup.jpg09jeffzwartgt3cup.jpg11jeffzwartgt3cup.jpg12jeffzwartgt3cup.jpg

Porsche 911 GT3 Cup - Running Up That Hill...

"Another video cut of Jeff Zwart's class record at this year's Pikes Peak race. Enjoy unedited camera views and a 911 doing what it does best: Covering ground quickly..."

Smiley SmileySmiley

Jeff Zwart gives a passenger ride on a hill-climb in the Porsche 911 GT3 Cup...

A small but exciting tangent on our recent drive in a 911 Carrera GTS placed our lives in the hands of Pikes Peak record holder Jeff Zwart. He was giving journalists rides in his GT3 Cup car on a dirt road barely big enough for one and a half cars, climbing up the side of a small mountain.

We were on a section of an Indian reservation Porsche had rented specifically for the event, which lasted the better part of a week. Zwart was intimately familiar with this road by now since he had been giving journalists rides yesterday, too. The dirt road had become bumpy and deformed, however, which required Zwart to adapt and adjust his driving after each ride.

Keep in mind that Zwart isn’t driving flat out with the safety of his passengers being his top priority. As you will see in the video, ever-changing conditions can still overcome margin for error.

"Jeff Zwart recently gave rides in his record setting Pikes Peak GT3 Cup car. A section of an Indian reservation in Southern California was used for the climb. Keep in mind he wasn't pushing very hard because he had others safety in his hands. Still, we think you'll agree that given the small size of the road he was navigating, he was going at a pretty good clip..."

Porsche-911-GT3-Cup-hillclimb_Excellence-link

Smiley SmileySmiley 

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    805729 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    449113 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266749 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90296 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6958 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

886697 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    835414 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM