Crown

Board: AMG Mercedes Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread


    SL depreciation

    Hi guys,

    Would just like your opinions and thoughts on SL's keeping their values. I have a '04 SL 55 AMG, I bought it for 203,000 euros(our taxes are BAD!). Out of curiosity, I went to the dealer today to ask for the trade in value of the car, to my shock and disbelief, they gave me a trade in value of 145,000 euros!!! That's 58,000 euros depreciation in ONE YEAR?!?! It also only has 17100km\10700miles on the odometer and it totally full house. Can anyone please explain to me why it dropped so drastically?

    Thanks.

    Re: SL depreciation

    Quote:
    Mike S said:
    Hi guys,

    Would just like your opinions and thoughts on SL's keeping their values. I have a '04 SL 55 AMG, I bought it for 203,000 euros(our taxes are BAD!). Out of curiosity, I went to the dealer today to ask for the trade in value of the car, to my shock and disbelief, they gave me a trade in value of 145,000 euros!!! That's 58,000 euros depreciation in ONE YEAR?!?! It also only has 17100km\10700miles on the odometer and it totally full house. Can anyone please explain to me why it dropped so drastically?

    Thanks.



    Steep but not uncommon, depreciation on new cars is bad.
    Especially high end cars.
    V12 cars are even worse.
    but also bear in mind that you are quoted by a dealer, you could easily sell 10 to 20% more to a private.

    Re: SL depreciation

    Quote:
    Mike S said:
    Hi guys,

    Would just like your opinions and thoughts on SL's keeping their values. I have a '04 SL 55 AMG, I bought it for 203,000 euros(our taxes are BAD!). Out of curiosity, I went to the dealer today to ask for the trade in value of the car, to my shock and disbelief, they gave me a trade in value of 145,000 euros!!! That's 58,000 euros depreciation in ONE YEAR?!?! It also only has 17100km\10700miles on the odometer and it totally full house. Can anyone please explain to me why it dropped so drastically?

    Thanks.



    Steep but not uncommon, depreciation on new cars is bad.
    Especially high end cars.
    V12 cars are even worse.
    but also bear in mind that you are quoted by a dealer, you could easily sell 10 to 20% more to a private.

    Re: SL depreciation

    yes, cars are about 80% more expensive here than in europe. especially on exotics. I mean losing 58,000!!! in one year, i could have almost bought a new 997s if i lived in UK with that money! for example on how expensive cars are here, there is 1 enzo in south africa, the owner paid a WHOPPING 1139240.50 euros for it due to our import tax etc.

    thanks for the input fanch

    Re: SL depreciation

    yes, cars are about 80% more expensive here than in europe. especially on exotics. I mean losing 58,000!!! in one year, i could have almost bought a new 997s if i lived in UK with that money! for example on how expensive cars are here, there is 1 enzo in south africa, the owner paid a WHOPPING 1139240.50 euros for it due to our import tax etc.

    thanks for the input fanch

    Re: SL depreciation

    Quote:
    Mike S said:
    yes, cars are about 80% more expensive here than in europe. especially on exotics. I mean losing 58,000!!! in one year, i could have almost bought a new 997s if i lived in UK with that money! for example on how expensive cars are here, there is 1 enzo in south africa, the owner paid a WHOPPING 1139240.50 euros for it due to our import tax etc.

    thanks for the input fanch



    Tax is another matter, you should compare depreciation on cars tax free, sorry that taxes are so high in SA, but you should not compare prices with another country on that basis.

    Re: SL depreciation

    Quote:
    Mike S said:
    yes, cars are about 80% more expensive here than in europe. especially on exotics. I mean losing 58,000!!! in one year, i could have almost bought a new 997s if i lived in UK with that money! for example on how expensive cars are here, there is 1 enzo in south africa, the owner paid a WHOPPING 1139240.50 euros for it due to our import tax etc.

    thanks for the input fanch



    Tax is another matter, you should compare depreciation on cars tax free, sorry that taxes are so high in SA, but you should not compare prices with another country on that basis.

    Re: SL depreciation

    what happen if i move to south africa and ship the car from uk ? do i have to pay tax?

    Re: SL depreciation

    what happen if i move to south africa and ship the car from uk ? do i have to pay tax?

    Re: SL depreciation

    Quote:
    bazza said:
    what happen if i move to south africa and ship the car from uk ? do i have to pay tax?



    yes bazza, but it would only be a fraction cheaper because you wouldn't have the dealers comission on top of it.

    fanch: yes i understand what you mean, but it does get frustrating oh well, it's not like i have a choice

    Re: SL depreciation

    Quote:
    bazza said:
    what happen if i move to south africa and ship the car from uk ? do i have to pay tax?



    yes bazza, but it would only be a fraction cheaper because you wouldn't have the dealers comission on top of it.

    fanch: yes i understand what you mean, but it does get frustrating oh well, it's not like i have a choice

    Re: SL depreciation

    i though that if i own the car for over 1 year and import to south africa i don have to pay tax?

    Re: SL depreciation

    i though that if i own the car for over 1 year and import to south africa i don have to pay tax?

    Re: SL depreciation

    I don't know about South Africa but over here in Germany, you can get brandnew SL55 with a very nice rebate and used ones with low mileage...well...cheap!!!
    Right now the market for sports cars isn't too good over here and Mercedes has lots of problems with car sales since they had some serious quality issues. Of course the economy over here in Germany doesn't go too well either, too many people are unemployed and too many people hold back with new car buying because they fear they might loose their job in the near future.
    Not much different with Porsche: you don't get too much rebate on a new car but look at the depreciation of the "old" 996 and Boxster models, incredible. I just saw an advertised 996 Turbo with around 40000 km only for under 70000 Euro. Incredible.

    This is why I actually tell people all the time: never buy a car looking at the resale value because you can end up with some very unpleasant surprises.
    I also prefer to lease such cars instead of buying them, it somehow takes a bit away of the depreciation risk, depending on the lease company and the contract.

    Re: SL depreciation

    I don't know about South Africa but over here in Germany, you can get brandnew SL55 with a very nice rebate and used ones with low mileage...well...cheap!!!
    Right now the market for sports cars isn't too good over here and Mercedes has lots of problems with car sales since they had some serious quality issues. Of course the economy over here in Germany doesn't go too well either, too many people are unemployed and too many people hold back with new car buying because they fear they might loose their job in the near future.
    Not much different with Porsche: you don't get too much rebate on a new car but look at the depreciation of the "old" 996 and Boxster models, incredible. I just saw an advertised 996 Turbo with around 40000 km only for under 70000 Euro. Incredible.

    This is why I actually tell people all the time: never buy a car looking at the resale value because you can end up with some very unpleasant surprises.
    I also prefer to lease such cars instead of buying them, it somehow takes a bit away of the depreciation risk, depending on the lease company and the contract.

    Re: SL depreciation

    how about is 70k euro to pounds? cause a good secondhand 996 turbo cost about 65k pounds average from porsche offical dealer

    Re: SL depreciation

    how about is 70k euro to pounds? cause a good secondhand 996 turbo cost about 65k pounds average from porsche offical dealer

    Re: SL depreciation

    I ve got an 10/02 SL55 and asked for trade in last summer, when the car had 12500km and the price i got was somewhere in the 90000 Euro mark... And the car cost me 140000 Euro when i bought it new in Germany! How does this sound!!!!! I decided to keep it, but honestly i believe that this was the worst buy i have ever done! I will NEVER buy an MB car again in my life...

    Re: SL depreciation

    I ve got an 10/02 SL55 and asked for trade in last summer, when the car had 12500km and the price i got was somewhere in the 90000 Euro mark... And the car cost me 140000 Euro when i bought it new in Germany! How does this sound!!!!! I decided to keep it, but honestly i believe that this was the worst buy i have ever done! I will NEVER buy an MB car again in my life...

    Re: SL depreciation

    Quote:
    bazza said:
    how about is 70k euro to pounds? cause a good secondhand 996 turbo cost about 65k pounds average from porsche offical dealer



    that is approx. $122140\70000 euro\50000 pounds. omg the resale values are shocking!?! i only never realised! i don't think i'll sell the SL anytime soon either, might as well keep it.

    @ bazza: yes even if it's second hand, so long as you bring anything in you have to pay the tax unfortunately :/

    Re: SL depreciation

    Quote:
    bazza said:
    how about is 70k euro to pounds? cause a good secondhand 996 turbo cost about 65k pounds average from porsche offical dealer



    that is approx. $122140\70000 euro\50000 pounds. omg the resale values are shocking!?! i only never realised! i don't think i'll sell the SL anytime soon either, might as well keep it.

    @ bazza: yes even if it's second hand, so long as you bring anything in you have to pay the tax unfortunately :/

    Re: SL depreciation

    to mike s

    check this link http://www.southafricahouse.com/ce_mvrsac.htm

    anyway how is the crime in sa compare to 2 years before?
    use to be lot of car hijack or gun point



    Re: SL depreciation

    to mike s

    check this link http://www.southafricahouse.com/ce_mvrsac.htm

    anyway how is the crime in sa compare to 2 years before?
    use to be lot of car hijack or gun point



    Re: SL depreciation

    Quote:
    bazza said:
    to mike s

    check this link http://www.southafricahouse.com/ce_mvrsac.htm



    LOL bazaa, those people at the customs would take half a year to get all the paperwork done, i know all about it. too many stories i can tell you there... and you are not allowed to import left-hand drive cars, which is why the only enzo in SA has been sitting in the ferrari showroom for 2 years now(imagine if you were the unlucky owner) .

    but thanks, it was quite an interesting read. but reality is far from as simple and quick as it is stated there

    Re: SL depreciation

    Quote:
    bazza said:
    to mike s

    check this link http://www.southafricahouse.com/ce_mvrsac.htm



    LOL bazaa, those people at the customs would take half a year to get all the paperwork done, i know all about it. too many stories i can tell you there... and you are not allowed to import left-hand drive cars, which is why the only enzo in SA has been sitting in the ferrari showroom for 2 years now(imagine if you were the unlucky owner) .

    but thanks, it was quite an interesting read. but reality is far from as simple and quick as it is stated there

    Re: SL depreciation

    i know they r so damn slow , uk also the same , all govement department are so damn slow .cause they don have costomer service thing in their rules and they r so rude , anyway i used to live in pretoria!

    Re: SL depreciation

    i know they r so damn slow , uk also the same , all govement department are so damn slow .cause they don have costomer service thing in their rules and they r so rude , anyway i used to live in pretoria!

    Re: SL depreciation

    SERIOUS BAZAA?! I still live in Pretoria!! The crime is worse than ever, so far I know of 4 family relatives that have been armed at gunpoint in their own home, including myself 2 months ago

    Re: SL depreciation

    SERIOUS BAZAA?! I still live in Pretoria!! The crime is worse than ever, so far I know of 4 family relatives that have been armed at gunpoint in their own home, including myself 2 months ago

    Re: SL depreciation

    hey do u have an noble m400?

     
    Edit

    Forum

    Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part I) Thread Closed 9/24/20 12:47 AM
    watt
    605190 2849
    Porsche Sticky The moment I've been waiting for... 12/30/20 9:03 AM
    rhino
     
     
     
     
     
    371946 1279
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 6/8/21 7:15 PM
    JR-550
    89158 1087
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 5/12/21 3:30 PM
    WhoopsyM
    46891 344
    Porsche Sticky ROAD TEST: New 992 Carrera 4S 3/3/21 10:57 PM
    Wonderbar
    36237 336
    Porsche Sticky Porsche Taycan Turbo S - Short Review 10/19/20 6:12 PM
    Leawood911
    34118 380
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 6/12/21 9:43 PM
    watt
    18524 384
    Porsche Sticky Porsche extends the Taycan model range (Taycan 2WD) 2/1/21 12:42 PM
    Leawood911
    5135 29
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 GT3 (2017) 7/27/20 2:13 AM
    DJM48
    574432 5257
    Porsche Cayman GT4 5/4/21 4:46 PM
    Topspeed
    427853 3586
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 4/25/21 4:04 PM
    Topspeed
    367407 3916
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017) 5/27/21 6:14 PM
    Topspeed
    367322 3495
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991.2 GT3 RS (2018) 4/28/21 12:26 PM
    W8MM
    328845 3252
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 12/8/20 7:51 PM
    DJM48
    311489 2646
    Porsche Tesla Roadster 9/23/20 8:22 PM
    bluelines
    234795 4279
    Porsche OFFICIAL: The new Porsche 992 – a design icon and high-tech sports car 2/28/21 8:05 PM
    Topspeed
    230556 1542
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Panamera (2016) 2/11/21 9:22 AM
    Itsme
    162481 1379
    Others Alfa Romeo 4C 9/23/20 10:22 AM
    RCA
    138878 792
    Porsche 992 GT3 6/12/21 10:38 PM
    xpto
    132883 2523
    Lambo Lamborghini Huracan and variants 4/9/21 4:32 PM
    Topspeed
    110562 1225
    McLaren F1 2/25/21 11:33 AM
    RCA
    77807 207
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 5/19/21 5:19 PM
    Leawood911
    75172 1167
    AMG AMG GT R 11/19/20 11:47 PM
    Topspeed
    66041 819
    Lambo Aventador and SV 4/20/21 3:21 PM
    CGX car nut
    65160 683
    Porsche 991 Speedster 9/3/20 4:29 PM
    Topspeed
    60758 878
    Porsche Nürburgring - Tesla vs. Taycan 11/23/20 6:10 PM
    Topspeed
    45401 596
    Others Bugatti Chiron 6/9/21 6:51 AM
    Jean
    37603 479
    Porsche Olive 991.2 GT3 Clubsport 1/1/21 7:58 PM
    throt
    34684 615
    Ferrari Ferrari 812 Superfast 5/30/21 9:51 PM
    waiting for PDK
    33830 522
    BMW M BMW M2 Rumors 3/21/21 5:01 PM
    Topspeed
    29311 385
    271 items found, displaying 1 to 30.