Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayenne Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Turbo Power Kit - Questions....

I've been thinking about it for a few months now. I can't seem to pull the trigger though. It is pricey, but I feel that it would definitely add to the already superb driving thrills that I have with the car con-currently.

I have obviously read RC's review - but would love some more feedback from other CTT drivers who have installed the upgrade.

Another thing, seeing as though the CTT S model will be unveiled shortly, does anyone think the Turbo S option could be an after-market retrofit? Meaning - the existing Powerkit could be tweaked even higher....?? Any clues anyone?

P.s. I have an 05 turbo.

Re: Turbo Power Kit - Questions....

Get the brakes!!

one can get the brakes invduvidually, but that will cost basically half the kit anyway. i've got a MY06 CTT but i think i will only consider putting it on once i notice brake fade, till then the stock ones do fine

I fit the powerkit (first in North Italy) last april on my CT '05.
    I totally agree with RC.
    The car really change and not only for new brakes power.
    The best improvement, IMO, is in steering sensetions.
    The kit provides new front suspension and this really change the car.
    OK, also the 50 HP but when you really need 500 hp then 450 hp in normal use ?
    CT isn't a track car and on a highway 450 could be enough.
    If you think to keep the car for, at least, 2 years, take the powerkit.
    If You will change the car with the next facelift, save your money.
    This is the question.
    Powerkit's price is really "important" but, believe me, it's a really complete kit, not only a chip tuning with new breakes.
    Bye

Does anybody know if PowerKit and Turbo S will be about the same in price?

Quote:
    Sarnico 45 said:
    I fit the powerkit (first in North Italy) last april on my CT '05.
    I totally agree with RC.
    The car really change and not only for new brakes power.
    The best improvement, IMO, is in steering sensetions.
    The kit provides new front suspension and this really change the car.
    OK, also the 50 HP but when you really need 500 hp then 450 hp in normal use ?
    CT isn't a track car and on a highway 450 could be enough.
    If you think to keep the car for, at least, 2 years, take the powerkit.
    If You will change the car with the next facelift, save your money.
    This is the question.
    Powerkit's price is really "important" but, believe me, it's a really complete kit, not only a chip tuning with new breakes.
    Bye

Thanks Sarnico, this is the kind of info I am after. I will indeed be keeping the car until the next generation of Cayenne is to be released.

I'm not bothered about the facelift, as I already have the TA kit which sets her aside from anything on the road anyways....

So, does anyone think they may upgrade the current Powerkit to an even higher performance?

RC!!! Any clues?

The current powerkit won't be upgraded as far as I heard because the facelift is just around the corner and of course the facelifted Cayenne also get some engine mods, including a new powerkit with up to 550 HP which will NOT be compatible to the current Cayenne Turbo.
    But of course this is unofficial information, nothing 100% sure. To my knowledge, the Turbo S special edition will actually get the current powerkit engine with some minor improvements (which may be possible to retrofit) but there are other differences too.

Is the Cayenne facelift that close around the corner RC? Just asking bc I might be buying one for my wife in the very near future.

Quote:
    RC said:
    The current powerkit won't be upgraded as far as I heard because the facelift is just around the corner and of course the facelifted Cayenne also get some engine mods, including a new powerkit with up to 550 HP which will NOT be compatible to the current Cayenne Turbo.
    But of course this is unofficial information, nothing 100% sure. To my knowledge, the Turbo S special edition will actually get the current powerkit engine with some minor improvements (which may be possible to retrofit) but there are other differences too.

Good info as usual RC ! That potential retrofit S sounds quite tasty, I would definitely get that if it were available.

As for the 550 new Powerkit - any idea why that is not possible to retrofit RC? Not that I know too much about engines - but it would surely be another ECU update wouldn't it?

Rami, the facelift is due in MY 07 - from what I've heard though - the facelift wont be available to order until Jan 07...

Mish,

I bought the PowerKit when I ordered the truck, but I drove stock CTs fairly extensively before I bought. I would echo everything others have said, as well as RC's excellent review. The biggest questions are: how long you are going to keep the truck and, IMHO, what else are you driving? It will be more worthwhile if this is your daily driver and you don't have another real sports car to drive. For me, I plan to keep it a long time, it is my daily driver, and I don't currently have another "fun" car.

However, if you read our other strings here, you will find some of us see some down-sides, in addition to the price. For me, since I don't routinely pound the Autobahn like RC, the brake upgrade is almost certainly not worth the money and definitely decreases my selection of offroad/mud/snow tires, because of the mandatory 19" wheels. So, - you can add to the key questions: do you ever plan to drive it offroad or routinely in the snow? Since I agree with RC that we should try to stick to Porsche-approved tires, I am going to be in a quandary when I finally get rid of my "back-up" SUV and have to expand the range of the Cayennes utility.

Quote:
    sigs said:
    Mish,

I bought the PowerKit when I ordered the truck, but I drove stock CTs fairly extensively before I bought. I would echo everything others have said, as well as RC's excellent review. The biggest questions are: how long you are going to keep the truck and, IMHO, what else are you driving? It will be more worthwhile if this is your daily driver and you don't have another real sports car to drive. For me, I plan to keep it a long time, it is my daily driver, and I don't currently have another "fun" car.

However, if you read our other strings here, you will find some of us see some down-sides, in addition to the price. For me, since I don't routinely pound the Autobahn like RC, the brake upgrade is almost certainly not worth the money and definitely decreases my selection of offroad/mud/snow tires, because of the mandatory 19" wheels. So, - you can add to the key questions: do you ever plan to drive it offroad or routinely in the snow? Since I agree with RC that we should try to stick to Porsche-approved tires, I am going to be in a quandary when I finally get rid of my "back-up" SUV and have to expand the range of the Cayennes utility.

Thanks for the write up Sigs. I have never - and will never - take my car offroad. It's simply not of interest to me.

As for the brakes - well, as good as they may be, I would not spend all this money just for that addition. I am actually more interested in the increase in power - is there a marked difference when you punch that accelerator? Unfortunately, I cannot get a TD of a Powerkit fitted Cayenne - so I will be ordering blindly.

Quote:
    mish said:

As for the brakes - well, as good as they may be, I would not spend all this money just for that addition. I am actually more interested in the increase in power - is there a marked difference when you punch that accelerator? Unfortunately, I cannot get a TD of a Powerkit fitted Cayenne - so I will be ordering blindly.

The short answer is: RC has put the Powerkit through its paces much more than I, so I can only agree with his review. The power difference is more at higher revs, though the more agressive downshift pattern is noticeable most of the time. The perception of hesitation is better (probably because of the downshifts), but still there, especially coming out of slow turns, so I end up 'Tip'ing through most of those.

I was like you, - mostly interested in an acceleration boost, - so I checked out some of the tuners and even drove the RUF conversion. It promised a 100 hp boost, but seemed very similar to the PowerKit demo I fortuitously was able to drive before I ordered (both fairly limited test-drives). The warranty issue kept me with the OEM version, but, after receiving it, I realized how much better I liked the steering/suspension mods of the PK. If those are not important to you, and if you aren't concerned about the warranty, you might consider other tuners, but be sure and read RC's warnings elsewhere on the forum.

But, to directly answer your question: the PK won't turn this 5300 lb beast into a 996TT, - or even a Subaru WRX, - but acceleration certainly feels more "effortless" and the suspension is worth much more to me than the brakes.

Trust me if I tell you that the powerkit brakes are almost more worth than the increased engine power, honestly.
    The increased engine power gives you an advantage at speeds over 100 mph (160 kph) but not below that.
    However: I love the extra power and over 160 kph, the powerkit provides an incredible boost up to a speed of around 260 kph on the speedo. I doubt that there are many cars around which are able to be THAT fast from 160 to 240 kph. But the brake is phenomenal, EVERY Cayenne Turbo owner should retrofit it, it is worth every cent.

Thanks Fellas, I contacted my dealer today. He told me they will try to get me a PK'ed CTT for me to keep for a few days. Apparently, the last guy who took it for a test drive got so over-excited that he crashed it - causing over $40k's worth of damage!!!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky The moment I've been waiting for... 8/11/21 2:00 PM
    throt

452916 1287
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 9/25/21 12:11 PM
    WhoopsyM
    167407 1111
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 9/17/21 8:59 PM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    65605 380
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 9/27/21 1:55 AM
    watt
    54733 528
    Porsche Sticky ROAD TEST: New 992 Carrera 4S 3/3/21 10:57 PM
    Wonderbar
    46554 336
    Porsche Sticky Porsche Taycan Turbo S - Short Review 9/27/21 4:56 PM
    WhoopsyM
    43373 392
    Porsche Sticky Porsche extends the Taycan model range (Taycan 2WD) 2/1/21 12:42 PM
    Leawood911
    12042 29
    Porsche Cayman GT4 5/4/21 4:46 PM
    Topspeed
    466102 3586
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017) 6/25/21 2:56 PM
    the-missile
    385075 3506
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 8/12/21 4:57 PM
    Topspeed
    381510 3918
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991.2 GT3 RS (2018) 4/28/21 12:26 PM
    W8MM
    347585 3252
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 12/8/20 7:51 PM
    DJM48
    317144 2646
    Porsche 992 GT3 9/27/21 2:19 PM
    the-missile
    263862 2988
    Porsche OFFICIAL: The new Porsche 992 – a design icon and high-tech sports car 9/26/21 10:49 AM
    WhoopsyM
    250843 1586
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Panamera (2016) 2/11/21 9:22 AM
    Itsme
    167549 1379
    Lambo Lamborghini Huracan and variants 4/9/21 4:32 PM
    Topspeed
    118072 1225
    Porsche Donor vehicle for Singer Vehicle Design 9/22/21 1:28 AM
    Leawood911
    102055 749
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 7/5/21 4:30 PM