Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 996 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread


    thinking of buying a 2000 TT

    Hi everyone!

    I've been lurking on this board for a while and have learnt a huge amount from all the discussion threads.

    I am currently a very happy owner of a 2003 4S which I use all year round (including travelling in the snow covered alps in winter!). My lease is about to hit breakeven on the 4S and I've seen 2000 TT with 88k km I'd like to buy. What should I look out for? Are there any known gremlins in the 2000 model that I should check for?

    Thanks in advance for your comments!

    Re: thinking of buying a 2000 TT

    My August 2000 TT had nothing worth mentionning until 150'000 km. Then I had a few issues with the 'clutch-receptor'(?), its pipe and the airflow meter. It was of course annoying, but no big issue anyway. My car has now over 192'000 km, and is still pulling strong. (Although the gearbox might have to be revised soon)

    Good luck!
    --Pierre (from ZH too)

    Re: thinking of buying a 2000 TT

    Many thanks for your reply Pierre. I'll be calling AMAG tomorrow to organise a test drive. I also read your article on your TT's impressive history. I think that's what convinced me to make the move!

    Re: thinking of buying a 2000 TT

    Quote:
    moose1 said:
    Many thanks for your reply Pierre. I'll be calling AMAG tomorrow to organise a test drive. I also read your article on your TT's impressive history. I think that's what convinced me to make the move!



    That should get Pierre an extra discount from AMAG when his TT comes due for replacement!

    Re: thinking of buying a 2000 TT

    Quote:
    fritz said:
    That should get Pierre an extra discount from AMAG when his TT comes due for replacement!



    YES !!!... Moose1, don't forget to tell Amag, ok?

    Greetings,
    --Pierre

    Re: thinking of buying a 2000 TT

    My 2000 TT has 57000 km and no problem so far. Great car! only thing I had to do was to replace the sinchronization rings of 3rd and 4th gear, because I had been a bit rude to it on a track day (at least that's what P said in order not pay under the extended warranty). Cost me Sfr. 6200 at Porsche Lugano. Also changed the cluth plate on that occasion, although it was still good. i was told by them that these rings are kind of a weak point, in fact the GT3 uses steel ones. Think this is pretty ridiculous cause I didnt feel I did anything horrifying to the car while shifting and a TT should be able to endure some slightly harder and faster shifting.
    So maybe just make sure all is clear with the gears/clutch as it takes a many work hours to take the car apart and put it back together.

    turbolite

    Re: thinking of buying a 2000 TT

    OT: could you not just replace those rings with the GT3 ones?
    -Joost-

    Re: thinking of buying a 2000 TT

    Quote:
    turbolite said:
    My 2000 TT has 57000 km and no problem so far. Great car! only thing I had to do was to replace the sinchronization rings of 3rd and 4th gear, because I had been a bit rude to it on a track day (at least that's what P said in order not pay under the extended warranty). Cost me Sfr. 6200 at Porsche Lugano. Also changed the cluth plate on that occasion, although it was still good. i was told by them that these rings are kind of a weak point, in fact the GT3 uses steel ones. Think this is pretty ridiculous cause I didnt feel I did anything horrifying to the car while shifting and a TT should be able to endure some slightly harder and faster shifting.
    So maybe just make sure all is clear with the gears/clutch as it takes a many work hours to take the car apart and put it back together.

    turbolite



    Bit rude?? Sounds like you raped the poor thing (ouch!!)

    Many thanks for you feedback!

    Re: thinking of buying a 2000 TT

    I think 996TT is a very reliable car, I only had experienced 2 problems which was the air flow sensor damage cause' I changed a oil base air filter. After the air flow sensor was fixed, I changed back to a stock air filter, never has a problem again.
    Another problem was about tiptronic, it couldn't shift properly, but after changing a relay. No more problem.
    If you are looking for a MY 2000 996TT, may be you need to check the suspension if there is any sound due to high milage.

     
    Edit

    Forum

    Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky The moment I've been waiting for... 5/16/22 11:50 AM
    BjoernB
     
     
     
     
     
    572456 1304
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/23/22 1:43 PM
    Rossi
    222054 1179
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/17/22 1:30 AM
    watt
    110835 955
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/1/22 7:14 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    108001 405
    Porsche Sticky Porsche Taycan Turbo S - Short Review 1/3/22 7:55 AM
    Rossi
    89147 531
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 1/15/22 10:41 PM
    watt
    31388 1
    Porsche Cayman GT4 10/5/21 7:04 PM
    Topspeed
    511576 3587
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017) 9/28/21 3:25 AM
    WhoopsyM
    426871 3507
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 2/1/22 10:14 PM
    SSO.
    423792 3954
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991.2 GT3 RS (2018) 11/17/21 5:18 PM
    Rossi
    387126 3256
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 2/1/22 9:49 AM
    RCA
    364439 2655
    Porsche 992 GT3 5/13/22 3:48 PM
    Grant
    345274 3536
    Porsche OFFICIAL: The new Porsche 992 – a design icon and high-tech sports car 9/29/21 1:59 AM
    watt
    289167 1587
    Porsche Donor vehicle for Singer Vehicle Design 2/10/22 9:08 PM
    Topspeed
    137299 772
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 4/25/22 7:26 PM
    bluelines
    134286 1388
    McLaren F1 7/10/21 7:43 AM
    BiTurbo
    110631 209
    AMG AMG GT R 3/13/22 8:52 PM
    spudgun
    109634 834
    Lambo Aventador and SV 4/20/22 3:29 PM
    Enmanuel
    107316 709
    Others Tesla 2 the new thread 5/12/22 9:01 PM
    Leawood911
    92135 1637
    Porsche GT4RS 5/16/22 7:03 AM
    Porker
    83237 933
    Motor Sp. [2021] Formula 1 4/19/22 10:08 PM
    Leawood911
    75642 1590
    Others Bugatti Chiron 4/12/22 9:24 PM
    blueflame
    74724 520
    Ferrari Ferrari 812 Superfast 12/15/21 8:04 PM
    Topspeed
    70107 533
    BMW M BMW M2 Rumors 2/28/22 7:42 PM
    Topspeed
    61582 409
    Porsche Red Nipples 991.2 GT3 Touring on tour 4/4/22 7:10 AM
    GnilM
    54457 472
    Lambo Urus (SUV) 7/21/21 6:22 PM
    Topspeed
    53897 592
    Porsche Dave and Gnil @ Nürburgring Nordschleife 10/16/21 1:07 PM
    Pentium
    53813 719
    Others Corvette C8 11/8/21 8:04 PM
    Topspeed
    49751 442
    Others Toyota Yaris GR 4/13/22 8:33 PM
    Grant
    26464 640
    AMG AMG plotting new SLR with hybrid power for 2018 launch 2/22/22 2:34 PM
    Topspeed
    23980 275
    227 items found, displaying 1 to 30.