Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Gumball 3000 canceled due to fatality!

Reports that the turbocharged TecArt 911 of Gumball participants Nick Morley and Matthew McConville collided with a VW Golf in Macedonia. The 67-year-old driver of the Golf died en route to the hospital while his wife - who was in the Golf's passenger seat at the time of the accident - is said to still be fighting for her life.

It gets worse: allegedly the Gumballers hopped into the BMW of another Gumball 3000 participant and attempted to flee the country to avoid persecution. Witnesses tipped off Macedonian authorities, and all Gumball participants involved in the fatal crash were arrested at the Albanian border. McConville and the driver of the BMW were set free, but Morley - who was driving the Porsche at the time of the accident - will be held in Macedonia for up to 30 days while authorities continue their investigation into the matter. In response to this tragedy, Gumball 3000 ended the rally early in Bratislava.

http://cars.ign.com/articles/785/785507p1.html

I can't believe they let those accomplices free after fleeing the scene.

Re: Gumball 3000 canceled due to fatality!

This is just awful, I hope that the woman survives. I am also shocked to see that two people fled the scene of a fatal accident. They should have stayed and taken care of their own mess. Granted, these things happen everyday through out the world, but I would have never expected it from participants of a famous event. Especially one that donates significant amount of proceeds to charities. Did they think that they were going to actually get away, leaving behind a wrecked car that could possibly contain information about them? IMO, they not only shamed themselves, but they brought upon a bad name towards to the Gumball Rally. As a result, I feel that many people will associate the event as a corrupt and reckless one. Furthermore, I am sure governments will try to prohibit their passage through certain countries. I certainly hope this does not happen, but as a result to these two drivers, I would not be suprised if it did. Once again, I hope that this woman recovers.

Quote:
    krown05 said:
    This is just awful... Once again, I hope that this woman recovers.

What he said, please.

That's absolutely horrible!

I just read that a Ford GT and a Carrera GT also crashed this morning:

http://www.gtspirit.com/

It seems like just a matter of time before something like this happened at one of these events. The promoters advocate "no speeding" etc. yet market the thing as a wild and crazy party adventure. With stuff like this happening along with too many stories of high speed crashes, plus environmental pressures, we may be witnessing the peak of the days of high performance sports cars for the street. Here in the US you really have to think twice about doing something dumb on the street because if you do and things go terribly wrong, you'll pay a heavy price.

Just a matter of time... it need to happen sooner or later

Those people are anyway no car enthusiasts. Those people are party animals which dont know what else to do with to quickly earned money

Quote:
    Lars997 said:

Those people are anyway no car enthusiasts. Those people are party animals which dont know what else to do with to quickly earned money

Very well said.

Did I ever mention what I think about the whole Gumball thing? Better not, I might be banned because of bad language.

Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    Lars997 said:

Very well said.

Did I ever mention what I think about the whole Gumball thing? Better not, I might be banned because of bad language.

I cannot agree more - makes me feel very sad for the old couple which became victim of this BS "event"
    If some party animals bored to death feel the urge to have "fun" by destroying some very fine cars (I understood from some press articles that a Ford GT and a CGT have been totalled) they may do so by renting a closed track, but it's another story to endanger other people on public roads.
    It's not that I'm an angel who never exceeded speed limts but this pseudo-"competitive" driving on public roads is just plain stupid.
    BTW even if the Gumball organization claims that it's not an illegal race but a legal "rally" the German police qualified it as an illegal race. Evidence: Gumballers seem to use criteria like average speed and number/amount of collected speed tickets to assess who's the "winner"

Quote:
    Porsche-Jeck said:
    Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    Lars997 said:

Very well said.

I cannot agree more - makes me feel very sad for the old couple which became victim of this BS "event"
    If some party animals bored to death feel the urge to have "fun" by destroying some very fine cars (I understood from some press articles that a Ford GT and a CGT have been totalled) they may do so by renting a closed track, but it's another story to endanger other people on public roads.
    It's not that I'm an angel who never exceeded speed limts but this pseudo-"competitive" driving on public roads is just plain stupid.
    BTW even if the Gumball organization claims that it's not an illegal race but a legal "rally" the German police qualified it as an illegal race. Evidence: Gumballers seem to use criteria like average speed and number/amount of collected speed tickets to assess who's the "winner"

Can't agree more with your words. This pseudosportive "events" should be 100% ilegal, and fines should be proportioned in their cuantity to the money the infrasctor has. If not, this things happen, for a millionare a traffic tiket is nothing, and he can afford as many as he wants, no matter the infraction.

I sincerely hope that the lady recovers.

Quote:
    Lars997 said:

Absolutely right on the mark, agree 100%.

I don't think Gumball is a bad concept. A rally, which encompasses several countries/states in one week is a very appealing proposition. The trouble are the participants. Gumball should have a very strict policy. Speeding is allowed, but any deliberate recklessness should be punishable immediately by taking that car out of the race. They would have much more credibility that way, as opposed to being some kind of MTV-pop-culture-fast-and-furious event, which it has turned out to be in the past few years. It seems that many feel the same as the TopRun and Carbon Black seem to have been getting much more respect as enthusiast-oriented events, in contrast to the Gumball - and that was BEFORE the crash.

The Gumball started off as a good concept with the interests of car lovers like ourselves in mind.

Unfortunately, with time and publicity, the event has been overtaken by arrogant Z-List celebs and wannabees who have no regard for anyone else. Fleeing the scene of a fatal car crash just sums it up - DISGRACEFUL.

Quote:
    Ronnie said:
    The Gumball started off as a good concept with the interests of car lovers like ourselves in mind.

Unfortunately, with time and publicity, the event has been overtaken by arrogant Z-List celebs and wannabees who have no regard for anyone else. Fleeing the scene of a fatal car crash just sums it up - DISGRACEFUL.

Exactly. As you can see, many enthusiasts (GT3000, Ant and Pete) are turning to alternatives (TopRun, Carbon Black) and you don't hear nearly as much about them - which is exactly how it's supposed to be. An adrenaline-filled cross-continent adventure of car enthusiasts, not a rally of over-zealous asswipes, who are just looking to get a rise out of the next dangerous overtaking.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    Ronnie said:

Exactly. As you can see, many enthusiasts (GT3000, Ant and Pete) are turning to alternatives (TopRun, Carbon Black) and you don't hear nearly as much about them - which is exactly how it's supposed to be. An adrenaline-filled cross-continent adventure of car enthusiasts, not a rally of over-zealous asswipes, who are just looking to get a rise out of the next dangerous overtaking.

Agree

Believe the woman passed away too according this link

http://www.gtspirit.com/

Quote:
    Crash said:
    the TopRun and Carbon Black seem to have been getting much more respect as enthusiast-oriented events, in contrast to the Gumball -

I doubt these other rallies are any better. They seem to be the same type of undisciplined drivers under a different name:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhsmMTsRpKY&mode=related&search=

No excuses. Rallies should not be allowed in any country unless roads are specially closed to the public by law enforcement.

Quote:
    MAVERICK said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    the TopRun and Carbon Black seem to have been getting much more respect as enthusiast-oriented events, in contrast to the Gumball -

I doubt these other rallies are any better. They seem to be the same type of undisciplined drivers under a different name:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhsmMTsRpKY&mode=related&search=

No excuses. Rallies should not be allowed in any country unless roads are specially closed to the public by law enforcement.

I disagree. Such a rally can be executed safely, but participants need to be made clear that they will be thrown out of the race for deliberate reckless driving. Regarding the video you've posted, I didn't see anything reckless, with the exception of that 430 (driving head on into a dark tunnel on the opposite lane, real smart ).

This is very terrible. I would love to participate in a cross country rally of some sort but the Gumball is not one of them. A few friends have been on it in the past and assured me that not everyone is stupid. Most of the cars never even get scratched, there is a bunch who want to hog the limelight of course.

BUT, an accident like the one that has occurred brings one back down to reality.....Speed CAN and DOES kill. In one 18 month period, my friend, my cousin and my younger brother all died in car accidents. My brother was a passenger in a Golf too....He was the passenger, he allowed his scum bag friend to the car he obviously drove too fast on a narrow road going over a bridge - murdering my brother. My sincere condolences to all the families of those who died. I hope that coward that tried to run away is prosecuted "justly", if he is innocent let's hope he can get out quickly, if he is guilty - I hope that he looses his license and a big chunk of money together with his freedom for most of "youthful" years. Sorry if I sound harsh...

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Regarding the video you've posted, I didn't see anything reckless, with the exception of that 430 (driving head on into a dark tunnel on the opposite lane, real smart ).

Reckless driving is, imho, the end result of getting away with many minor and major infractions. First, a driver will break the speed limit by going 20 MPH over the limit, then 40 over and so on. First, a driver is tempted to cross the single white line, then the double yellow line, and then overtaking on blind curves and so on. In the video, the camera car, the 430, and the CGT violate the center line.

The temptation to violate the center line during these rallies is immense when there seems to be no oncoming traffic and plenty of bhp in reserve, but it leads to a slippery slope of taking more and more risks, violating more laws, and ending in reckless driving and possibly an accident.

Sorry if I can look radical, but a "Rally" is a modality of the car racing sport competition under closed roads.

The risk is taken by those who compit the race. The roads are closed, and the Sport is guaranteed. This has been a Great tradition during decades, and has given us a very richful heritage of piloting skills of the Masters (besides some souls in this forum only recognize the oval drivers, and a name as "Walter Rörl" is "strange for their "deep" knoledge)

In any case, this Masgarade "called Gumball" is NOT A RALLY.

The international Federation has rules in this sense.

If you want to compit, there are REAL rallies (not a stupid circus). If they are brave enough, go and speed in a narrow road between a wall and a "free flight".....Please, try to "have fun" and really "go fast" in the Montecarlo Rally, for instance,....the "Burzet" has many "suggestions"....specially if there's "verglass"...or maybe you prefer "Arganil's" mist in Portugal....

Sorry to all of you, but I feel rather tired of "Phantoms", and this ridicoulous circus had the sad end (I hope) a lot of reasonable people predicted....this lives could be saved just a few days ago with a little common sense...

How bad I feel that the women died......I do not care if they did a wrong manover....but I'm absolutelutely sure, that without the STUPID "Gum..." they would now be alive...besides their "narrow" skills driving.....just peaceful people going home, or wherever.....

http://jalopnik.com/cars/dumball-3000/gu...p?autoplay=true

Don't get me wrong, I think these events are a Bad Idea, as they are always going to be corrupted, with the obvious risk to other road users...

But without details of the accident, it's wrong to attach blame to the Gumball drivers involved and attack them with such vitriol. Report says they waited for emergency services before 'fleeing'. We don't know if the emergency services said 'It's OK, you can go now'.

IMHO it's important to know the full details before shooting your mouth off. But I do agree that a good legal team may be able to distort the details to get them off, even if they are guilty, in which case we may never know.

The posts in this thread about the Gumball itself, and other events of this kind are spot on though.

First, I never knew that Gumball already started this year !!!

Its true that we dont know what exactly happened, if it was guilty the gumball driver or the local VW Golf driver, but in any case, I must say, that this wasnt any surprise that camed from no where...I mean, we only have to watch the videos from any participants from previous Gumballs, to see what they do in public roads, driving in the wrong direction, overtaking absolutely to the limit, etc etc etc..... If we also sum up the CONSTANT parties Gumball has planned for the night, etc, I would say ALL participants get to their car next day without even sleeping, or having a little 2-3hour sleep....and even some of them without sleeping 2-3 days in a row.....We sum up this little factor+fast fast cars+ wanting to completely drive to the limit+other factors which some participants may consume(which I dont know, and with this may be I am wrong, but cammon!!!) and its very easy to commit a BIG mistake......

With all this I have to say that its too early to know whether the gumball or local driver where guilty, but factors, can easily make us think it was the gumball pilot mistake.....And after that the worse thing that someone can do, after being involved in an accident, which is leaving the crime scene!!!, but again, like wtsnet, some web pages have said they waited for emergency services etc etc.......Still......

Dont get me wrong, I am the first one, that likes to watch Gumball 3000 videos, but when 50+ supercars, drive with all the above factors+roads they havent drived before+speed = we all know the result....the only good point is that this has never happened in the past events (I think)

too bad indeed!!

Its true, yellow Carrera GT has crashed!!!

GUYS I JUST SAW THIS VIDEO!!!!, IT COMPLETELY BREAKS MY HEART..... AND STILL HOW THE F!CK THE TOW TRUCK STAFF, START THE ENGINE AND REVV IT LIKE IT WAS READY TO RACE, JUST TO HAVE A GOOD TIME WITH THE WORK-MATES!!!!

its insane!!!

link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SERI0IX2XnM

A spokesman for the rally said: "The Golf pulled out from a stop sign and Mr Morley and McConville tried to swerve around it but clipped the side of the car."

- from M%board.com -

Not the first time this would have happened. Old people pull out like that all the time, even when you're doing the speed limit. You think they see you, but they don't.

Quote:
    Alex18_996CC said:

Its true that we dont know what exactly happened, if it was guilty the gumball driver or the local VW Golf driver, but in any case, I must say, that this wasnt any surprise that camed from no where...I mean, we only have to watch the videos from any participants from previous Gumballs, to see what they do in public roads, driving in the wrong direction, overtaking absolutely to the limit, etc etc etc..... If we also sum up the CONSTANT parties Gumball has planned for the night, etc, I would say ALL participants get to their car next day without even sleeping, or having a little 2-3hour sleep....and even some of them without sleeping 2-3 days in a row.....We sum up this little factor+fast fast cars+ wanting to completely drive to the limit+other factors which some participants may consume(which I dont know, and with this may be I am wrong, but cammon!!!) and its very easy to commit a BIG mistake......

With all this I have to say that its too early to know whether the gumball or local driver where guilty, but factors, can easily make us think it was the gumball pilot mistake.....And after that the worse thing that someone can do, after being involved in an accident, which is leaving the crime scene!!!, but again, like wtsnet, some web pages have said they waited for emergency services etc etc.......Still......

Dont get me wrong, I am the first one, that likes to watch Gumball 3000 videos, but when 50+ supercars, drive with all the above factors+roads they havent drived before+speed = we all know the result....the only good point is that this has never happened in the past events (I think)

too bad indeed!!

You've just summed up all the relevant problems. Constant parties are fine, but not for the drivers. From what I hear, Team Polizei always get their beauty sleep during the Gumball, as opposed to other party animals. I just can't imagine how you'd even get 100 miles away from the checkpoint without crashing at high speed with 2 hours of sleep .

Quote:
    Crash said:
    A spokesman for the rally said: "The Golf pulled out from a stop sign and Mr Morley and McConville tried to swerve around it but clipped the side of the car."

- from M%board.com -

Not the first time this would have happened. Old people pull out like that all the time, even when you're doing the speed limit. You think they see you, but they don't.

now that's something we didnt know!! , what a bad luck then!!...This will probably chill down the situation, nevertheless. R.I.P.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    Alex18_996CC said:

too bad indeed!!

You've just summed up all the relevant problems. Constant parties are fine, but not for the drivers. From what I hear, Team Polizei always get their beauty sleep during the Gumball, as opposed to other party animals. I just can't imagine how you'd even get 100 miles away from the checkpoint without crashing at high speed with 2 hours of sleep .

Absolutely!!!... in Very rare ocassions, I have driven back home after a whole night partying(of course without drinking)and you finish sometimes too exhausted to do so, so imagine after some days in a row doing the same thing, but this time with real sportscar, roads you have never been and all the special climax you are involved!!

It is possible that the old couple were not wearing searbelts - I don't know what the culture for that kind of thing is over there, particularly with the elderly, but it's easy to suppose. That would have increased the risk of fatality at low collision speed. But we don't know.

Regarding video evidence of Gumball drivers, you probably only see videos of dumb behaviour, because safe respectful driving doesn't make good TV. Or the people most likely to want to video themselves are the showoffs.

What kind of sick SOB wipes out a VW GOLF with 2 senior citizens and then flees the scene? I say let them rot in jail for awhile. I hope the woman pulls through and sues the [beep] out of the GR producer.

These jerk offs probably loved the movie "Redline" (see my rant) http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php?Cat...SID=#Post346512

Quote:
    OO7GT3 said:
    What kind of sick SOB wipes out a VW GOLF with 2 senior citizens and then flees the scene? I say let them rot in jail for awhile. I hope the woman pulls through and sues the [beep] out of the GR producer.

These jerk offs probably loved the movie "Redline" (see my rant) http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php?Cat...SID=#Post346512

Hey, slow down there, Bond! If you would have read through the entire thread it now appears that the pair actually DID wait for the police and only then left with the Russian BMW. They were then arrested at the border when the old man died - that is what is currently being reported.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    804521 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448916 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266608 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90258 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6882 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

886346 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    835030 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM