Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: New Z06 magazine times!! Wow!

No weinie at all. Is there anyone out there who drives a Porsche who also considered buying a Corvette? They're so different I just can't imagine there's much overlap in the buyers of the two cars.

German engineering doesnt translate into racing victories when it comes to the 987 or 997.

Without the 996 GT3 and GT2 the only Porsches racing would be on video games.

Every Porsche model made before the advent of the M96 engine was raced by the factory. That probably doesnt matter to most buyers as they couldnt name them anyway.

Now all that owners of 986,987,996s and 997 can do is scratch their cup holders and talk smack on the internet when it comes to victorys.

Why? The cars cant be raced on real racing tires. Why is that? Porsche went cheap and ditched the dry sump lube system and the M96 engine cant survive high G's with out it. Is that the "German engineering" you mean?

The M96 engine is a pile of crap, the Cayenne is ugly and the "brand" has moved onto attracting customers who want the name,paint job and a ditzy brained option list but dont care about real engineering capabilities.

Only the TT, GT3 and GT2 models have the spirit AND engineering worthy of a 911. The others are synthetic derivatives.

Jim, I realize that Porsche isn't the firm you once knew, but even the vehicles you have such contempt for are some of the best cars we can buy in the current marketplace. And although you haven't said this specifically, diluting one's focus is not a problem unique to Porsche. GM has made more than its share of underwhelming "sports cars" that really only shared a badge with the icons from which they were derived. I'm sure you can remember the late 70s Corvettes with their poorly built bodies and anemic power output.

I always read your posts with an eye to what I can learn from them, since you have driven some cars I may never get to experience. But continually harping on the same theme is fatiguing. Please get over this. Maybe you can test drive the Z06 for us or something!

mcdelaug

Quote:
    DamienL said:
    The ZO6 is an insanely fast car for a great price. The only reason I'd ever be interested in it though would be because of the impressive speeds and performance it can achieve. However, no matter where you go, there will always be someone faster.
    Porsches are different though. There's something intangible about the whole experience. Maybe it's the prestige of the badge. That must have something to do with it, but I just don't know. I don't care what it is, I just enjoy the feeling.
    I could buy a ZO6 and absolutely destroy any Porsche in or even above its price range, but for me that would be meaningless.

If, at some day, a Corvette would indeed be quicker than a TT or TTS or GT2 I would definitively discontinue buying Porsche products. They charge a premium. This premium requires leading performance. So far Porsche has delivered.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    German engineering doesnt translate into racing victories when it comes to the 987 or 997.

Every Porsche model made before the advent of the M96 engine was raced by the factory. That probably doesnt matter to most buyers as they couldnt name them anyway.

Now all that owners of 986,987,996s and 997 can do is scratch their cup holders and talk smack on the internet when it comes to victorys.

Why? The cars cant be raced on real racing tires. Why is that? Porsche went cheap and ditched the dry sump lube system and the M96 engine cant survive high G's with out it. Is that the "German engineering" you mean?

The M96 engine is a pile of crap, the Cayenne is ugly and the "brand" has moved onto attracting customers who want the name,paint job and a ditzy brained option list but dont care about real engineering capabilities.

Only the TT, GT3 and GT2 models have the spirit AND engineering worthy of a 911. The others are synthetic derivatives.

Well, at least the 997S is faster than the C6... Based on the sportauto test even quite a lot faster.

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    Quote:
    BC997J said:
    Quote:
    Dr. Phil said:
    Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    If the 997TT can't beat these numbers, I would consider the 997TT a disappointment. Why would anyone spend, what, greater than $120K on a 997TT when they can get better performance for $50K less.

Because it's a Porsche.
    Don't focus on the money and don't try to compare the price of the cars.
    The competition can build cars that are faster and more affordable than Porsches....but they are not Porsches.
    It's that simple IMO.

Same reason you spend $$$$ on a Ferrari.

EXACTLY...
    It's like asking why buy a Porsche when you can get a Noble/TVR/Ariel etc with better performance for less... The Porsche will be the obvious choice to 80% of you guys.

Like Dr.Phil said: Because it's a Porsche.

You're right. What the hell was I thinking?

I do know where you're coming from though. There ARE cars that seem like they are better value because of performance etc. and price. I'd be dissapointed too if the 997T does not stand up to this "new challenger", but it won't stop me from getting the P in any case.

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:

Well, at least the 997S is faster than the C6... Based on the sportauto test even quite a lot faster.

LOL... have we heard an official statement from Porsche about this? Just being a smart@ss considering you're the person who won't believe anything placed in a magazine. (unless of course Porsche wins)

Try to be less biased. Appreciate what all sports cars can do regardless of who makes it. Comparing GM and Porsche is like comparing a mule with a thoroughbred. The only sad thing is that modern day Porsches are being out-gunned by a mule.

I complain only because I want better cars out of Porsche... and I desperately want them to return to factory racing.

Quote:
    LowPolarMoment said:
    No weinie at all. Is there anyone out there who drives a Porsche who also considered buying a Corvette? They're so different I just can't imagine there's much overlap in the buyers of the two cars.

Sorry if this is a bit long.

Overlap here. Actually I've owned 2 Corvettes. And at some point I'll probably own a third. Of course I've also owned a 1st generation MR2, 3rd generation Supra TT, multiple Miata's, and my first car a '73 Nova SS. A true muscle car that I wish I still had. It's also helpful to understand I'm waiting on my 987S order at this time. This will be my first Porsche. Although after the movie "Risky Business" boy did I lust for a 928, and Rebecca De Morney.
    For me I just love cars. I could easily be happy with a 2 bedroom house and a 15 car garage. Unfortunately I'm just a working stiff. I'm fortunate to have a job that generally has OT available. Without that OT option, I'd never have owned the cars I have, or be able to look towards more in the future. But I'll never own all the cars I would like to.
    The Corvette while a PITA at times, is a blast to drive. Do I wish it was more reliable, absolutely. Does the interior still need improvement, you bet. But dollar for dollar it is the top performance value. Now when you factor in exchange rates, I can see why the allure drops in Europe. But unless you've actually owned one or spent some time driving one, I think you might want to ease up a little. The other thing to keep in mind is that while GM is a totally screwed up corporation, the folks who run the Corvette program are very different. Most of them are car people, just like us. Without them the car actually would have died in the mid-90's. Unfortunately they have to battle the GM beancounters who create most of the problems associated with the car.
    Anyway thanks for letting me vent my spleen. Drive fast, drive safe.

The 997S is a tick faster than a standard model Corvette C6 that is priced the same as a 986.

The 997 has better traction, better brakes and better use of space inside.

But if you want to go buy a 997 to use as you could ALL other 911s you can't. No more can you add a kill switch, a bolt in roll cage and then switch to wheels with racing slicks for autocrossing and casual track days. With all other 911s you could. If you want to do that now you have to buy a GT3 for 30K more because the M96 engine is a built to a price POS. For 30K more you might as well just keep the 997 and buy a pre 996 car or some other car for fun use.

Its that dual use capability that all 911s had wich new ones dont, and that helped build Porsches legend and disireability.

When Weideking bragged to the financial press that a 997 only cost 9% more to build than a 986 he didnt explain why, and for good reason.

Quote:
    SoCalHoosier said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:

LOL... have we heard an official statement from Porsche about this? Just being a [Email]smart@ss[/Email] considering you're the person who won't believe anything placed in a magazine. (unless of course Porsche wins)

Try to be less biased. Appreciate what all sports cars can do regardless of who makes it. Comparing GM and Porsche is like comparing a mule with a thoroughbred. The only sad thing is that modern day Porsches are being out-gunned by a mule.

I complain only because I want better cars out of Porsche... and I desperately want them to return to factory racing.

Oh, we do have evidence in the form of sportauto tests. This is the best and most credible benchmark available. (The Corvette was more than 10 seconds slower than the 997s on the NBR.)

Quote:
    mcdelaug said:
    I saw a woman driving a Corvette today, how do you explain that?

mcdelaug

She had a small wienie?

Quote:
    paralizer said:
    But unless you've actually owned one or spent some time driving one, I think you might want to ease up a little. The other thing to keep in mind is that while GM is a totally screwed up corporation, the folks who run the Corvette program are very different. Most of them are car people, just like us. Without them the car actually would have died in the mid-90's. Unfortunately they have to battle the GM beancounters who create most of the problems associated with the car.

That's very true. The Corvette has very little in common with GM's other vehicles, and the ZO6 is a huge step ahead of the C6, which is already a great car.
    I totally agree with Car and Driver when they said that "if every car GM produced was as good as the ZO6, its problems would be over," or something to that effect.
    Even though I am a huge Porsche fan, the ZO6 just can't be ignored.

F430
    11.6@ 121.2 MPH 1/4 mile
    0-60 3.6 sec
    0.100 8.1 sec
    0-150 18.6 sec

Quote:
    Duncan said:
    F430
    11.6@ 121.2 MPH 1/4 mile
    0-60 3.6 sec
    0.100 8.1 sec
    0-150 18.6 sec

Almost as good as the Z06 for 3x the price

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky The moment I've been waiting for... 8/11/21 2:00 PM
    throt

452160 1287
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 9/24/21 7:30 PM
    WhoopsyM
    167062 1109
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 9/17/21 8:59 PM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    65560 380
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 9/24/21 9:12 PM
    blueflame
    54498 525
    Porsche Sticky ROAD TEST: New 992 Carrera 4S 3/3/21 10:57 PM
    Wonderbar
    46516 336
    Porsche Sticky Porsche Taycan Turbo S - Short Review 10/19/20 6:12 PM
    Leawood911
    43000 380
    Porsche Sticky Porsche extends the Taycan model range (Taycan 2WD) 2/1/21 12:42 PM
    Leawood911
    12012 29
    Porsche Cayman GT4 5/4/21 4:46 PM
    Topspeed
    465567 3586
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017) 6/25/21 2:56 PM
    the-missile
    384990 3506
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 8/12/21 4:57 PM
    Topspeed
    381427 3918
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991.2 GT3 RS (2018) 4/28/21 12:26 PM
    W8MM
    347461 3252
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 12/8/20 7:51 PM
    DJM48
    317088 2646
    Porsche 992 GT3 9/25/21 12:28 AM
    lexs4
    263050 2977
    Porsche OFFICIAL: The new Porsche 992 – a design icon and high-tech sports car 9/24/21 10:27 PM
    Enmanuel
    250508 1583
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Panamera (2016) 2/11/21 9:22 AM
    Itsme
    167503 1379
    Lambo Lamborghini Huracan and variants 4/9/21 4:32 PM
    Topspeed
    118020 1225
    Porsche Donor vehicle for Singer Vehicle Design 9/22/21 1:28 AM
    Leawood911
    101979 749
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 7/5/21 4:30 PM