Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayman Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread


    Re: POLL: Cayman, good choice for the upcoming Boxster deriv

    Quote:
    brunner said:
    Quote:
    Dr. Phil said:People who spend time criticizing or complaing about a particular brand or product are normally the ones who are most loyal to that brand.


    Then Nick must be THE most loyal Porsche fan here



    He is! He just hates to admit it

    Re: POLL: Cayman, good choice for the upcoming Boxster deriv

    RC,

    Hey I'm not trying to be irritating, but Porsche likely feels that they don't NEED to win the support of the type of customers that post in this forum. Most anyone that spends their free time on this forum is already a confirmed Porsche fanatic. Porsche can be fairly confident that you will at least test drive one of their products the next time you buy a car (or SUV). It's exactly the people that you mention in your post that represent the largest marketing challenge and the largest untapped, potential profit base for Porsche as a company. Can't understand the difference between a pepper and a native American? No worries as long as your credit's good and your neighbors think the "Cheyenne" is a "cool truck." I have to imagine that at some level the philosophy driving Porsche's marketing is "The hard core Porsche fans are buying our products anyway, it's the poseurs we really need to get our hands on."

    RC, I'm sorry Porsche is not treating you better, but you must realize that your forum supports their confirmed, enthusiast customers. If anything, forums like rennteam.com may potentially make the audience Porsche's marketing is targeted toward more likely to ask difficult questions and think about issues that Porsche would rather they ignore (stuff that we periodically complain about - high prices of options, inadequate hp increases, RMS failures, whatever).

    If it's any consolation to you this problem is not specific to you as a person or to Porsche as a company. I suspect there is a sizable group of employees at Porsche who remember what the values of the firm were 20 years ago, and are uncomfortable with the current management's different goals. My friends who work at international firms in other industries feel these same conflicts between their personal ideology regarding the company and the ideology the company projects via its marketing.

    The work you and the moderators do is a tremendous benefit to those of us that spend our time reading this board, and I hope that at least some of us thank you periodically for making this something we all enjoy doing. But I hope that you don't expect too much from Porsche as a company for your efforts at rennteam, because in the short term you make their job more difficult. Of course, in the long term, you make them a healthier company that can more completely dominate their niche in the auto market, but they will attribute that to their OWN hard work at Porsche, not you, the moderators or the posters.

    Anyway, this is one of my very facvorite places on the net, and I am very glad you spend so much effort on it. I hope you continue to do it for many years.

    mcdelaug

    Very interesting thoughts McDelaug

    Quote:
    mcdelaug said:
    RC,

    Hey I'm not trying to be irritating, but Porsche likely feels that they don't NEED to win the support of the type of customers that post in this forum. Most anyone that spends their free time on this forum is already a confirmed Porsche fanatic. Porsche can be fairly confident that you will at least test drive one of their products the next time you buy a car (or SUV). It's exactly the people that you mention in your post that represent the largest marketing challenge and the largest untapped, potential profit base for Porsche as a company. Can't understand the difference between a pepper and a native American? No worries as long as your credit's good and your neighbors think the "Cheyenne" is a "cool truck." I have to imagine that at some level the philosophy driving Porsche's marketing is "The hard core Porsche fans are buying our products anyway, it's the poseurs we really need to get our hands on."

    RC, I'm sorry Porsche is not treating you better, but you must realize that your forum supports their confirmed, enthusiast customers. If anything, forums like rennteam.com may potentially make the audience Porsche's marketing is targeted toward more likely to ask difficult questions and think about issues that Porsche would rather they ignore (stuff that we periodically complain about - high prices of options, inadequate hp increases, RMS failures, whatever).

    If it's any consolation to you this problem is not specific to you as a person or to Porsche as a company. I suspect there is a sizable group of employees at Porsche who remember what the values of the firm were 20 years ago, and are uncomfortable with the current management's different goals. My friends who work at international firms in other industries feel these same conflicts between their personal ideology regarding the company and the ideology the company projects via its marketing.

    The work you and the moderators do is a tremendous benefit to those of us that spend our time reading this board, and I hope that at least some of us thank you periodically for making this something we all enjoy doing. But I hope that you don't expect too much from Porsche as a company for your efforts at rennteam, because in the short term you make their job more difficult. Of course, in the long term, you make them a healthier company that can more completely dominate their niche in the auto market, but they will attribute that to their OWN hard work at Porsche, not you, the moderators or the posters.

    Anyway, this is one of my very facvorite places on the net, and I am very glad you spend so much effort on it. I hope you continue to do it for many years.

    mcdelaug



    Mcdelaug,

    First of all, on behalf of RC (he's currently on vacation) thank you very much for the kind words, but for my part, it's RC who does all the hard work, I'm just toddling along!
    This is very interesting subject you've pickep up on there.
    Actually, I've discussed the issue thouroughly with my friends Ron and Carlos and we agreed that, we (Rennteam and other Porsche forum members) represents maybe what, 1, possible 2% of Porsche clientele, in other words, a drop in the ocean.
    The way I see this is I don't expect any feedback from Porsche, as RC says, they might monitor this forum, maybe, but I don't think it has any impact anyway.
    I use this forum for myself, because I love Porsche and sports cars in general, anyone hoping that Porsche will answer our wishes is mistaken I think.
    For what it's worth, Porsche product line up is already frozen for the next 8 years anyway. They probably know right what the power of the 911 Gen 998 will be (plus or minus 5% IMHO).
    All this to say that I admire your post and agree with it 110%.
    One has to remember that this is 2005, the time of small INDEPENDANT handmade car companies is over (except in the UK, thank you Britain!) but if you look at the big picture, and if you want to stay profitable, you have to move on to mass market and that means, SUV, four doors sedan, etc etc etc.
    If Porsche develops the Cayman, it's because they can, and it doesn't matter if we don't like it, because the boys have done their homework, and it will sell.
    I too like you, am dubious as to who will buy this car but ultimately, I let Porsche surprise me (again! and again! and again!)
    The bottom line is Porsche's goal is NOT is to build great sports cars anymore, it is TO MAXIMISE SHAREHOLDER VALUES and NOTHING else.
    Sad for most of us on this forum, but true. I personally don't mind, because the end justifies the means. Keep the great cars coming on!

    Fanch.

    Re: POLL: Cayman, good choice for the upcoming Boxster derivate?

    There is a simple reason for why they didn't name it Boxster Coupe. The name Boxster is the result of someone's play with the words boxer and roadster - hence Boxster. And since it's no longer a roadster that name is out of the question.

    I'm not very fond of the name Cayman, hopefully it will grow on me.

    Re: POLL: Cayman, good choice for the upcoming Boxster deriv

    Quote:
    There is a simple reason for why they didn't name it Boxster Coupe. The name Boxster is the result of someone's play with the words boxer and roadster - hence Boxster. And since it's no longer a roadster that name is out of the question.




    so it should be named boxupé then

    Re: Very interesting thoughts McDelaug

    Fanch:

    It sounds to me like you have a negative attitude towards the Cayman even before it's launched.
    Porsche has one of the strongest brands on the market today, but if they want to survive they have to sell cars - and lots of them. I think we can agree on that.
    When they launched the Boxster I was one of the people who said it wasn't a real Porsche; today I love it and wouldn't even think twice about buying a 911 convertible instead of a Boxster - if I for some reason wanted a convertible.

    You say you have doubts about who will buy the Cayman. Well, let me tell you who: I will. Why? Because it will probably be the greatest driving machine Porsche has built since the 968. Don't get me wrong, I love the 911, but if you're looking for a great drive - like I am - then I bet you the Cayman will even top the 911. Yes, the Cayman S lacks 60 horsepowers compared to a C2S, but it has a big advantadge by being mid-engined - something I will find very rewarding an early sunday morning on a back road somewhere. =)

    Re: Very interesting thoughts McDelaug

    Quote:
    JohnJohn said:
    Fanch:

    It sounds to me like you have a negative attitude towards the Cayman even before it's launched.
    Porsche has one of the strongest brands on the market today, but if they want to survive they have to sell cars - and lots of them. I think we can agree on that.
    When they launched the Boxster I was one of the people who said it wasn't a real Porsche; today I love it and wouldn't even think twice about buying a 911 convertible instead of a Boxster - if I for some reason wanted a convertible.

    You say you have doubts about who will buy the Cayman. Well, let me tell you who: I will. Why? Because it will probably be the greatest driving machine Porsche has built since the 968. Don't get me wrong, I love the 911, but if you're looking for a great drive - like I am - then I bet you the Cayman will even top the 911. Yes, the Cayman S lacks 60 horsepowers compared to a C2S, but it has a big advantadge by being mid-engined - something I will find very rewarding an early sunday morning on a back road somewhere. =)



    You are right, not only bc it'll be mid engined, it will also be considerably lighter than the 911.
    Technically and from a driving perspective, it'll be a fantastic driving tool.
    I am not negative at all towards the Cayman, sorry if that is the impression you got from my post.
    Like I wrote, the Porsche boys have done their homework, I just hope they'll get it right and that the car will sell.
    Congratulations to you in advance JohnJohn!
    I would personally be tempted, but I admit it, I'd rather have a 911, for it's racing pedigree and its image, I know, it's a bit vain and conceed it.
    Now seriously, a Cayman S with the engine of the Carrera S, sport chassis and mechanical LSD, I would be the first to buy it, sadly, for marketing reasons, I don't think it'll happen.

    Re: Very interesting thoughts McDelaug

    Let's not rule anything out in advance. Although, I'm pretty sure there will never be a Cayman on sale in the configuration you mentioned, but I've heard rumours about an RS- or clubsport-version of the Cayman. Surely we can expect that Porsche (in time) will launch an even more powerful version than the Cayman S. Wouldn't you say??
    I wish they would give it the same number of hp as a 911, but that'll never happen because that would make it a rival with the 911 over customers. My guess is that we will see some kind of performance version of the Cayman, probably with the same 3,4 liter engine but they'll raise it to about 310 hp. And if that's not enough for you I'm sure Ruf will create something very interesting of the Cayman when they get their hands on it.

    Re: Very interesting thoughts McDelaug

    does anyone remember the Stola GTS boxster coupe based on the 986? It was doing the rounds in all the car magazines about 2-3 yrs ago. It'll be interesting to see how close to the cayman it is.

    Re: Very interesting thoughts McDelaug

    Here's the link to the autoexpress article on the Stola GTS:


    http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/previews/35519/stola_gts.html

    Re: Very interesting thoughts McDelaug

    Ron and wild speed's lines have got to be the funniest i have read this year. i cant stop laughing!!

    i ordered the coxster LW RS sucker... even tho' it looks ugleee

    Re: Very interesting thoughts McDelaug

    excuse me i'm french and i don't understant everything
    i find cayman is a good name for the boxster coupé
    but what mean cayman in english?
    why are you laughing about that?

    Re: Very interesting thoughts McDelaug

    Mareuil,
    a cayman is a kind of crocodile... of the spesies that live a lot in california. But also, it sounds a lot like gay-man. A bad name for a homosexual.
    -Joost-

    Re: Very interesting thoughts McDelaug

    Maybe it would have been better if Porsche had used the correct spelling:

    Quote:
    From Oxford English Dictionary:
    caiman
    /kaymn/ (also cayman)

    * noun a tropical American reptile similar to an alligator.

    - ORIGIN Carib.




    Re: Very interesting thoughts McDelaug

    ok
    thank you

    Re: Very interesting thoughts McDelaug

    Quote:
    Atlantis said:
    Maybe it would have been better if Porsche had used the correct spelling:

    Quote:
    From Oxford English Dictionary:
    caiman
    /kaymn/ (also cayman)

    * noun a tropical American reptile similar to an alligator.

    - ORIGIN Carib.






    Or just maybe Porsche used the Webster English dictionary:
    Quote:
    Main Entry: cay.man
    variant of Porsche Boxster


    Re: POLL: Cayman, good choice for the upcoming Boxster derivate?

    Quote:
    Moogle said:
    Quote:
    RC said:
    "Cayman" gay man.



    Cayman, Gayman -- who gives a crap. i always forget how people have such small minds. if a homophobic [censored] squeals the word gayman at the car -- who cares!

     
    Edit

    Forum

    Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part I) Thread Closed 9/24/20 12:47 AM
    watt
    619469 2849
    Porsche Sticky The moment I've been waiting for... 12/30/20 9:03 AM
    rhino
     
     
     
     
     
    384981 1279
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 6/8/21 7:15 PM
    JR-550
    89553 1087
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 5/12/21 3:30 PM
    WhoopsyM
    47175 344
    Porsche Sticky ROAD TEST: New 992 Carrera 4S 3/3/21 10:57 PM
    Wonderbar
    36308 336
    Porsche Sticky Porsche Taycan Turbo S - Short Review 10/19/20 6:12 PM
    Leawood911
    34203 380
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 6/19/21 2:48 AM
    watt
    18843 391
    Porsche Sticky Porsche extends the Taycan model range (Taycan 2WD) 2/1/21 12:42 PM
    Leawood911
    5177 29
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 GT3 (2017) 7/27/20 2:13 AM
    DJM48
    576026 5257
    Porsche Cayman GT4 5/4/21 4:46 PM
    Topspeed
    435131 3586
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 4/25/21 4:04 PM
    Topspeed
    370057 3916
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017) 5/27/21 6:14 PM
    Topspeed
    369782 3495
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991.2 GT3 RS (2018) 4/28/21 12:26 PM
    W8MM
    331712 3252
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 12/8/20 7:51 PM
    DJM48
    311608 2646
    Porsche Tesla Roadster 9/23/20 8:22 PM
    bluelines
    250356 4279
    Porsche OFFICIAL: The new Porsche 992 – a design icon and high-tech sports car 2/28/21 8:05 PM
    Topspeed
    234557 1542
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Panamera (2016) 2/11/21 9:22 AM
    Itsme
    162713 1379
    Others Alfa Romeo 4C 9/23/20 10:22 AM
    RCA
    138939 792
    Porsche 992 GT3 6/20/21 2:43 AM
    Targa Tim
    136832 2622
    Lambo Lamborghini Huracan and variants 4/9/21 4:32 PM
    Topspeed
    111711 1225
    McLaren F1 2/25/21 11:33 AM
    RCA
    77849 207
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 5/19/21 5:19 PM
    Leawood911
    76234 1167
    AMG AMG GT R 11/19/20 11:47 PM
    Topspeed
    66187 819
    Lambo Aventador and SV 4/20/21 3:21 PM
    CGX car nut
    65316 683
    Porsche 991 Speedster 9/3/20 4:29 PM
    Topspeed
    61837 878
    Porsche Nürburgring - Tesla vs. Taycan 11/23/20 6:10 PM
    Topspeed
    45931 596
    Others Bugatti Chiron 6/9/21 6:51 AM
    Jean
    37768 479
    Porsche Olive 991.2 GT3 Clubsport 1/1/21 7:58 PM
    throt
    34715 615
    Ferrari Ferrari 812 Superfast 5/30/21 9:51 PM
    waiting for PDK
    34001 522
    BMW M BMW M2 Rumors 3/21/21 5:01 PM
    Topspeed
    29377 385
    272 items found, displaying 1 to 30.