Crown

Forum - Thread

Rennteam Review of GT2 and Scuderia

Thanks to turbosteff we had the chance to do an extensive comparison of GT2 and Scuderia over several 100kms of Autobahn and on the Porsche test track in Leipzig SmileySmileySmiley

(BTW, pictures will follow at a later stage...)

The Autobahn

If you ever wondered what ear plugs are good for – just ask our friend turbosteff Smiley He always carries quite a number of them in his Scuderia and also uses them for longer distances. The Scuderia is really VERY loud (interior sound). Travelling at the same speed in a GT2 allows you to enjoy listening to a nice CD or do some phone calls... Despite using the plugs turbosteff complained about the noise level at the end of our 350km ride to the track. It goes without saying that neither statements of the navi system nor incoming calls can be noticed by the Scuderia driver.

Apart from these practical issues the sound is great. A real race car! 

Performance wise the difference between GT2 and Scuderia on the Autobahn is not huge. For all practical purposes it is not possible to leave the Scuderia behind.

The GT2 has a slightly better in-gear acceleration from the mid-speed range (170kph+) and is also a bit faster at higher speeds. The differences, though, are really not that important: both cars offer a very similar acceleration performance.

The GT2 (in normal mode) has a much subtler ride than the Scuderia which (in combination with the interior noise level and the excellent bucket seats) makes the GT2 a perfect „allrounder“ for long distances. In the Sccuderia you look forward very much to finally reaching the destiny of your journey: the track...

The Track

Since the Sportauto Supertest it is a known fact that both cars offer very similar track performance. Our test on the Porsche track in Leipzig confirmed this. It is impossible to leave the other car behind (assuming similar drivers).

Given this very comparable performance I am still amazed if I think back to how different these two amazing cars FEEL on the track…

While the GT2 has the more heavy and solid feel and feels very much “glued” to the track the Scuderia feels extremely light weight (but also less “glued” to the asphalt). Somehow, the Scuderia feels more like sitting on the street whereas the GT2 seems to be an integral part of the track.

The Scuderia’s steering is very sharp and light (more direct but in summary probably a bit less precise than the more heavy steering of the GT2). While driving you constantly hear little chips hitting the bodywork. From time to time you tend to forget that the Scuderia even has a body at all… Feels a bit kart like… Amazing stuff.

Of course, the F1 gear-box is a massive advantage. The speed of gear shifts (and also the comfort of gear shifts at slower speed in day-to-day traffic) is truly amazing. This system is so much better than that used in the 599GTB. In the GT2 you really need to work much harder to find and change the gears. No doubt – the F1 gear-box helps improving lap times – at least for non-professional drivers. On  the other hand the GT2 manual box has such a nice and precise feel…

The brakes of both cars are very powerful. The Ferrari brakes don’t react as spontaneously as the GT2 brakes do. However, if you apply the brake pedal with the required pressure both systems work extremely well. Fading is unknown of in these two cars – even under the most extreme conditions.

While the GT2 has an amazing grip at the front axle the  Scuderia feels much lighter at the front. Grip and traction at the rear is perfect in both cars. These “overpowered” cars have no problems at all to transform their massive hp output into excellent acceleration… The Scuderia does have some advantage in tight corners (for those who know Leipzig: e.g. Loews). Here the GT2 (being in 2nd gear) needs some more time to build up boost pressure. The Scuderia – in contrast – pulls so nicely out of these tight corners that you really enjoy the experience lap after lap. The Scuderia also has a remarkably strong mid-rev torque (4500rpm upwards), which allows nice and linear acceleration coming out of faster corners.

In fast bends both cars are extremely stable. I would argue that there is little to no difference between the two in this category.

What both cars share is that incredible versatility/agility: these two cars always do what the driver wants them to do. No nerve wrecking understeer, no heaviness. Just perfect efficiency and speed. Point and shoot. Wonderful.

And finally: did I mention that the engine sound of the Scuderia is really the best you could imagine on a track? I am not sure, though, whether turbosteff will agree after the 350km back home Smiley

Thanks to turbosteff for this outstanding experience SmileySmileySmiley

Thanks to Porsche and Ferrari for these outstanding technological achievements SmileySmileySmiley

Re: Rennteam Review of GT2 and Scuderia

Thanks for the summary  I guess given the noise I would prefer the 16M over the coupe.

Coming from a GT3 I always felt that the GT2 was an electric car given the lack of sound effects 

--
    Off enjoying my car...

Clive (AKA Lancelot) here in the UK has owned both the GT2 and now the Scud.  He's still getting to know the Scud but I'd say he is much more taken with it than he was with the GT2!

Before:

After:

--

Click for bigger picture!

Great review Markus, thanks for posting.

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Great report!  Smiley

--

fritz

Thanks for taking the time to write the report MKSGR, I always read them with deep interest! 

Very nice and honest review Markus!Smiley

very deep and interesting review!grazie!

--
    Dedi La vita è troppo corta per non guidare italiano.....

Makes me want to go out and buy a Scuderia! Smiley

--

2005 997S Blk/Blk

Great read! thanks for sharing

--

, really enjoyed it!!!

--

Both great cars, guys - except the Scud is very special.

For a start it's handbuilt so every one is unique and it's a big event everytime you go out in it. Also I would say there's about 20 times more interest in the Ferrari than the Porsche everywhere you go - then again, it's £50K more so that's the trade off!

I have a great deal of respect for both. I just hope we can continue to enjoy these types of motors long into the future! 

Regards,

Clive.

I like these '' real life'' reviews very much . Thanks !!!

--
     997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Very nice report

Have you timed the laps

--

ONUR

09 Audi TTS Ibis

07 997 Carrera S / 05 M3 Coupe / 03 M3 Coupe / 96 M3 Coupe EVO (ALL BUT HISTORY)

And WE WANT PICTURESSSS

--

ONUR

09 Audi TTS Ibis

07 997 Carrera S / 05 M3 Coupe / 03 M3 Coupe / 96 M3 Coupe EVO (ALL BUT HISTORY)

Many thanks for all your positive feed-back Smiley Smiley

pride355:

Very nice report

Have you timed the laps

Now we come to the dark side of this Smiley

Both cars do not have a timer on board (I hate the looks of the Porsche stop watch, Ferrari wants to safe weight, I assume Smiley).

As we have been to Leipzig several times we both guessed that the times should have been around 1.48 +/- 1s per lap. Next time we need to time the laps again... BTW, a professional driver should be about 5s faster in either car Smiley

If you want to know the times in order to compare the two cars it is really difficult: for some laps me in the GT2 was a bit faster, than turbosteff was a bit faster in some other laps. The process of optimizing lap times is also constantly interrupted by the need to overtake some other cars... In summary, we both agreed that the cars offer a very similar performance Smiley

Great write up...... many thanks for sharing your experiences

--

2009 997 GT2 RS Tuning 542PS/736NM

Very interesting review, thank a lot for taking the time and effort. Can Turbosteff comment on the reliabilty of the Scuderia under track use?

I suppose whoever would want the combined qualities of these both should look at the GT3, at least I´d not need the added attention the Scuderia attracts... Smiley

The GT3 Mk2 offers similar performance for much little money. However, the GT3 is less powerful... You need to accept this to love it as a buyer Smiley

BTW, turbosteff did not have any technical issues with the Scuderia to date (approx. 3000km) Smiley

6.000km here with mine and no problems either.

--
    There is no try. Just do.

Great report :) keep them coming.

J.Seven

Great report......more interesting than the usual run-of-the-mill magazine reports.

MKSGR:
    As we have been to Leipzig several times we both guessed that the times should have been around 1.48 +/- 1s per lap.

So maybe I was lucky that I had to cancel our meeting in Leipzig  Smiley Just kidding - great report, Markus SmileySmiley Both fantastic cars for sure -  similar performance, different characters. An enthusiast with the suitable bank account and garage space should have both Smiley

What about "GT2 and Scuderia" Vol. II - maybe in thei Eifel ? I would take care of the photographs Smiley

Looking forward to the pics Smiley

--
    public roads: Porsche 987 S Seal/Cocoa, toll road Smiley : Porsche 997 GT3 Arctic/Black

Porsche-Jeck:
    MKSGR:
    As we have been to Leipzig several times we both guessed that the times should have been around 1.48 +/- 1s per lap.

So maybe I was lucky that I had to cancel our meeting in Leipzig  Smiley Just kidding - great report, Markus SmileySmiley Both fantastic cars for sure -  similar performance, different characters. An enthusiast with the suitable bank account and garage space should have both Smiley

What about "GT2 and Scuderia" Vol. II - maybe in thei Eifel ? I would take care of the photographs Smiley

Looking forward to the pics Smiley

Your presence would have made us even faster Smiley

Let's keep Vol. II on our agenda Smiley

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/3/24 7:04 PM
    watt
    604149 1768
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    384224 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    252626 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 2/22/24 5:12 PM
    GT-Boy
    215129 291
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    46542 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/4/24 9:03 AM
    Der-Schwabe
    2427 26
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

844427 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    735166 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM