Crown

Board: AMG Mercedes Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread


    more power for the supercharged V8

    Just purchased an '04 E55T. I have read elsewhere that the stock ECU makes it run very rich. In an attempt to improve the quite unbelievable fuel consumption and maybe liberate a few extra horses can anyone point me in the direction of the best ECU tuner. I am a little concerned about mods voiding the warranty and would be intersested in opinions from people who have modded these engines.
    TIA

    Re: more power for the supercharged V8

    Quote:
    TB993tt said:
    Just purchased an '04 E55T. I have read elsewhere that the stock ECU makes it run very rich. In an attempt to improve the quite unbelievable fuel consumption and maybe liberate a few extra horses can anyone point me in the direction of the best ECU tuner. I am a little concerned about mods voiding the warranty and would be intersested in opinions from people who have modded these engines.
    TIA



    I know you won't like it but without a different pulley, a ECU mod would be useless, maybe even bad for the engine and you wouldn't get a satisfactory power increase.
    Let me give you a hint: german car magazines tested a Vaeth with I think 580 HP and another tuned E55 (don't remember the Tuner) with 530 HP. Both cars were as fast or even slowlier than the standard E55.
    If you tune your E55 to let's say 530-540 HP with a different pulley, a different ECU software and probably a different exhaust with high flow cats, the real advantage is in the upper 200 kph range. Expect a very low or even non-existant performance gain from 0-125 mph and a substantial increase in the upper 140 mph range. Is it really worth it voiding your warranty? I don't know. I had so much trouble with my E55 lately, I was happy I didn't touch the engine. Got rid of it and went for a Cayenne Turbo instead.
    I hope you have more luck with you car than I did.
    Better put your money into the limited slip differential which is a MUST have option on the E55. Available only for install directly at AMG in Affalterbach but I heard of somebody from the US who went there and bought the parts and go them installed in the US.

    Re: more power for the supercharged V8

    Quote:
    TB993tt said:
    Just purchased an '04 E55T. I have read elsewhere that the stock ECU makes it run very rich. In an attempt to improve the quite unbelievable fuel consumption and maybe liberate a few extra horses can anyone point me in the direction of the best ECU tuner. I am a little concerned about mods voiding the warranty and would be intersested in opinions from people who have modded these engines.
    TIA



    I know you won't like it but without a different pulley, a ECU mod would be useless, maybe even bad for the engine and you wouldn't get a satisfactory power increase.
    Let me give you a hint: german car magazines tested a Vaeth with I think 580 HP and another tuned E55 (don't remember the Tuner) with 530 HP. Both cars were as fast or even slowlier than the standard E55.
    If you tune your E55 to let's say 530-540 HP with a different pulley, a different ECU software and probably a different exhaust with high flow cats, the real advantage is in the upper 200 kph range. Expect a very low or even non-existant performance gain from 0-125 mph and a substantial increase in the upper 140 mph range. Is it really worth it voiding your warranty? I don't know. I had so much trouble with my E55 lately, I was happy I didn't touch the engine. Got rid of it and went for a Cayenne Turbo instead.
    I hope you have more luck with you car than I did.
    Better put your money into the limited slip differential which is a MUST have option on the E55. Available only for install directly at AMG in Affalterbach but I heard of somebody from the US who went there and bought the parts and go them installed in the US.

    Re: more power for the supercharged V8

    RC
    I appreciate your reply I saw that Vath test -I think it was the 5.8K engine rated at 620hp and you are correct, the figures it gave were barely better than stock. There is a firm in the UK who retune the ECU -they say it is undetectable by the dealer and only Bosch could tell it had been tampered with -My plan is to do the upgrade, and if there are any major problems, to get them to re-flash the old program. They claim 540hp which I don't believe, but they also say it brings the torque on much earlier since the stock program allows the wastegates to bleed the boost initially. Incidentally, it was your reporting (RC) of your E55 which encouraged me to buy one over an RS6 -I just hope mine has the glitches sorted out !

    Re: more power for the supercharged V8

    RC
    I appreciate your reply I saw that Vath test -I think it was the 5.8K engine rated at 620hp and you are correct, the figures it gave were barely better than stock. There is a firm in the UK who retune the ECU -they say it is undetectable by the dealer and only Bosch could tell it had been tampered with -My plan is to do the upgrade, and if there are any major problems, to get them to re-flash the old program. They claim 540hp which I don't believe, but they also say it brings the torque on much earlier since the stock program allows the wastegates to bleed the boost initially. Incidentally, it was your reporting (RC) of your E55 which encouraged me to buy one over an RS6 -I just hope mine has the glitches sorted out !

    Re: more power for the supercharged V8

    Quote:
    TB993tt said:
    There is a firm in the UK who retune the ECU -they say it is undetectable by the dealer and only Bosch could tell it had been tampered with -My plan is to do the upgrade, and if there are any major problems, to get them to re-flash the old program. They claim 540hp which I don't believe, but they also say it brings the torque on much earlier since the stock program allows the wastegates to bleed the boost initially. Incidentally, it was your reporting (RC) of your E55 which encouraged me to buy one over an RS6 -I just hope mine has the glitches sorted out !



    The E55 is a fine car, especially if you add the limited slip differential to it. Honestly, the LSD really adds a lot of fun to this car.
    The problems I had are a different story. I'll post a little report as soon as I have more time.

    Regarding ECU upgrades: if a Tuner claims a software change is undetectable or only detectable by Bosch, he is a LIAR.
    Your dealer might not be able to detect a software change but Mercedes can. In case of a broken engine or any other serious problems, they usually ask the dealer to make a printout of the black box data or they're even able to get diagnostic data online from the dealer directly, depending on the dealer and country. Result: any software change can be detected!
    If you plan to "fool" them by rewriting the original software to the black box, this doesn't work either. The ECU black box saves all software installs and other (not so well documented) data in a non-erasable ROM. This is also the place where maximum boost pressures, etc. are saved, including how many km/mls the engine has, how many hours(!) it has run, etc.
    Now this data is also saved in the speedo cluster and/or other black boxes.

    Or to make it short: a software change IS detectable and in case of serious problems which require the warranty, Mercedes will surely check the software too.

    And a last thing: 540 HP without changing the pulley is impossible. Expect something around 20 HP with a ECU upgrade only...if you're lucky. Unless the software is so aggressive that you get more HP of course but it won't be healthy for your engine.

    Don't do it, you don't gain too much performance and you can end up having a lot of trouble.

    Re: more power for the supercharged V8

    Quote:
    TB993tt said:
    There is a firm in the UK who retune the ECU -they say it is undetectable by the dealer and only Bosch could tell it had been tampered with -My plan is to do the upgrade, and if there are any major problems, to get them to re-flash the old program. They claim 540hp which I don't believe, but they also say it brings the torque on much earlier since the stock program allows the wastegates to bleed the boost initially. Incidentally, it was your reporting (RC) of your E55 which encouraged me to buy one over an RS6 -I just hope mine has the glitches sorted out !



    The E55 is a fine car, especially if you add the limited slip differential to it. Honestly, the LSD really adds a lot of fun to this car.
    The problems I had are a different story. I'll post a little report as soon as I have more time.

    Regarding ECU upgrades: if a Tuner claims a software change is undetectable or only detectable by Bosch, he is a LIAR.
    Your dealer might not be able to detect a software change but Mercedes can. In case of a broken engine or any other serious problems, they usually ask the dealer to make a printout of the black box data or they're even able to get diagnostic data online from the dealer directly, depending on the dealer and country. Result: any software change can be detected!
    If you plan to "fool" them by rewriting the original software to the black box, this doesn't work either. The ECU black box saves all software installs and other (not so well documented) data in a non-erasable ROM. This is also the place where maximum boost pressures, etc. are saved, including how many km/mls the engine has, how many hours(!) it has run, etc.
    Now this data is also saved in the speedo cluster and/or other black boxes.

    Or to make it short: a software change IS detectable and in case of serious problems which require the warranty, Mercedes will surely check the software too.

    And a last thing: 540 HP without changing the pulley is impossible. Expect something around 20 HP with a ECU upgrade only...if you're lucky. Unless the software is so aggressive that you get more HP of course but it won't be healthy for your engine.

    Don't do it, you don't gain too much performance and you can end up having a lot of trouble.

     
    Edit

    Forum

    Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky The moment I've been waiting for... 5/18/22 6:36 PM
    Pilot
     
     
     
     
     
    686992 1306
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 10/9/22 4:08 PM
    watt
    320501 1186
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 12/7/22 4:53 PM
    Porker
    217961 1266
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 12/4/22 12:10 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    203278 439
    Porsche Sticky Porsche Taycan Turbo S - Short Review 10/6/22 12:37 AM
    WhoopsyM
    186444 580
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 11/22/22 8:19 PM
    GaussM
    129648 9
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 11/30/22 2:30 PM
    GnilM
    57673 68
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 2/1/22 10:14 PM
    SSO.
    521664 3954
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 2/1/22 9:49 AM
    RCA
    477287 2655
    Porsche 992 GT3 11/27/22 2:46 AM
    WhoopsyM
    473537 3785
    Porsche Donor vehicle for Singer Vehicle Design 9/30/22 6:31 PM
    Grant
    230633 774
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 12/7/22 5:03 PM
    WhoopsyM
    230158 1468
    AMG AMG GT R 3/13/22 8:52 PM
    spudgun
    200173 834
    Lambo Aventador and SV 5/20/22 5:24 PM
    Topspeed
    196367 710
    Others Tesla 2 the new thread 12/7/22 10:22 PM
    CGX car nut
    190989 1866
    Porsche GT4RS 11/24/22 3:09 AM
    GnilM
    190615 1193
    Motor Sp. [2021] Formula 1 4/19/22 10:08 PM
    Leawood911
    163667 1590
    Others Bugatti Chiron 8/30/22 4:31 PM
    Josef
    160983 525
    Ferrari Ferrari 812 Superfast 6/12/22 5:09 PM
    watt
    157078 535
    BMW M BMW M2 Rumors 2/28/22 7:42 PM
    Topspeed
    143618 409
    Porsche Red Nipples 991.2 GT3 Touring on tour 10/6/22 11:48 PM
    DJM48
    140527 501
    Lambo Urus (SUV) 6/7/22 1:20 PM
    Topspeed
    138602 593
    Others Corvette C8 7/18/22 12:40 PM
    WhoopsyM
    137854 443
    Porsche Dave and Gnil @ Nürburgring Nordschleife 7/4/22 10:42 PM
    DaveGordon
    136421 722
    Motor Sp. [2022] Formula 1 12/6/22 8:32 PM
    CGX car nut
    127751 1561
    Others Toyota Yaris GR 4/13/22 8:33 PM
    Grant
    107459 640
    Lambo Huracán EVO STO 7/21/22 8:37 AM
    RCA
    106522 335
    AMG Mercedes E63 S AMG (2018) - Short Review (updated on a regular basis) 10/24/22 7:42 AM
    RCA
    104249 402
    Ferrari Wandered to the dark side 8/29/22 9:35 AM
    BiTurbo
    79337 418
    Ferrari Ferrari Roma 4/18/22 4:33 PM
    watt
    31670 438
    172 items found, displaying 1 to 30.