Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

A new 997 Carrera 4 GTS?

There is a strong buzz on a new Carrera 4 GTS being announced....

--

911 Carrera 3.2 - 968 CS

Re: A new 997 Carrera 4 GTS?

sorry, didn't see your post...yeah, they really did it......

http://www.porsche.com/microsite/carrera4-gts/usa.aspx

--
    Happy Driving

Isn't that a bit, err, ridiculous?

Don't get me wrong, the Carrera 4 GTS surely is a great car, but wasn't the main argument for the GTS the widebody of the AWD-models, but without the AWD? 

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

I anticipate that we still will see

Carrera S GTS coupe & cab
    Carrera 4S GTS coupe & cab

--
    Happy Driving

If you add the extras included it is still good value for someone who wants the outgoing model in AWD.

It's just that the 4 GTS looks more like a stock clearance sale item. In the case of the RWD GTS the buyer gets the wide body which is unique in the range for normally aspirated cars (GT3 models are something different).

--

"Form follows function"

This is just crazy and it ruins the cool idea of the GTS in the first place. It is now too evident that this GTS is just a shelf cleaner. Nonetheless a great offering, but i question the marketing at this point... too much dilution. Why not just lower prices on remaining 997 models instead of creating silly new models. 

What's next? ... a 997.2 Carrera R, just the chassis with engine and you have to source your own interior as the shelves are empty apart from a few remaining shells. lol.

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

I always knew that Porsche were trying to clear out the parts bin Smiley Seems the suppliers produced too many parts and Porsche has the obligation to pick them up Smiley  I feel sorry for those who bought the 997.1 C2s and C4S, at the end of the day their cars would be worth nothing Smiley Even the Cayenne model range is not this bad !

...I could be wrong, but was the engine upgrade an option for AWD previously ? If not, weeeeeellll, I could somehow have a bit of sympathy for the marketing guys...though, my first thoughts were exactly like Atzporsche wrote, what's next...? Maybe, indeed a 997 Carrera GTS "R" coming without aircon / radio as standard but with historic PORSCHE decals on the sides...This reminds me of that fabulous post we had here some time ago about the various "to be seen in the future"-model variations - like the 997 4 GT2 RS Convertible...man, I really do like Porsche, but there is some inflation currently of new models being introduced...

d997h:

...I could be wrong, but was the engine upgrade an option for AWD previously ? If not, weeeeeellll, I could somehow have a bit of sympathy for the marketing guys..

The powerkit was an option on the 3.8 engines, RWD and 4WD

my first thoughts were exactly like Atzporsche wrote, what's next...? Maybe, indeed a 997 Carrera GTS "R" coming without aircon / radio as standard but with historic PORSCHE decals on the sides...This reminds me of that fabulous post we had here some time ago about the various "to be seen in the future"-model variations - like the 997 4 GT2 RS Convertible...man, I really do like Porsche, but there is some inflation currently of new models being introduced...

I agree with you in principle,  but OTOH in a few years time after the 991 model is introduced, they will all be seen as previous generation 911 models, with different specification. What Porsche do is to option a number of cars on behalf of the customer and offer a hefty discount too. Why not, if someone still wants the outgoing model?

--

"Form follows function"

This is a big joke. 

--

Cayenne S White/Espresso delivery Oct 2011

Terrible...

It wouldn't have been that bad if they had just said"well, we now offer these options for this price, and call it the GTS package"... but no, they had to give it new model designation... that's just stupid, it's not a new model...

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

A good friend of me ordered 6 weeks ago a 911 4S cabriolet  (delivery 7/11) - he was a big fan of the GTS, but he absolutely wanted AWD.

He will be not amused...

Blueflame

My gut feeling is that this is really an afterthought - PAG has seen that the GTS has been a major sales hit - since it is a great package at a great price - so, having marketed the GTS as having a widebody without AWD, they thought they could make yet more money by rolling out an AWD version - even though this somewhat contradicts indirectly the earlier marketing for the RWD GTS.

At the end of the day, it's a chance to make money - and one can't blame them for doing that in this economic situation - PAG is just milking every last drop out of the 997. When I say this, I think of the following: 911 Sport Classic, Centurion Edition, Speedster, GTS, Black Edition, 918 Spyder Edition TTS etc etc.

The above special edition 911s are really option packages (mostly). The one that really stands out as being something much more is the 997 GT3 RS 4.0. That car is way beyond being just an option package.

Honestly, the 997 cash cow will have really earned its retirement once they finally let the poor thing out to graze

But now, with so many limited edition 911 special models, it's reached the stage where it really feels like they are using high pressure vacuum suction to extract even micro-drops of milk out of this particular cow's udder

--

RT Moderator - 997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm sports suspension/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

...boy, I am so glad I can answer the question: "which model do you have" simply by saying: "a 997 Carrera"...Smiley

You could always say a 997  or for example a "2011 911". Very few people outside Porsche enthusiasts would care for more explanation

--

"Form follows function"

I must admit to being surprised by this addition, but then again, I ask myself...had the AWD version been launched at the same time as the RWD, would I have still bought a GTS and, if so, which version?

The answer is 'yes' and I would still have chosen the RWD...so I finish up with the same car with which I'm very happy..

Also - IMHO the red rear reflector line is fugly... especially on a white car..

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

AWD on a GTS doesn't make sense to me.

--

The real joke will be later on when these are up for re-sale, and the owner will state "only X of these were ever produced!"

I think it was fairly clear (RC made the point originally I think) that the biggest benefit to the GTS was the value of the package, so I assumed it was pretty much a parts bin exercise all along.  Especially when you realize the global recession has probably left Porsche with a large supply of surplus parts to work with.  So they decided against postponing the next model, or reducing the price of the Carrera and Carrera S.  Both those choices would have sucked!

Ron (Houston):

I assume your joking here...?  Otherwise, what engine would these have in them?

Carlos from Spain:

AWD on a GTS doesn't make sense to me.

Who wants a 4WD Carrera anyway ?

For those who do want one, the 4 GTS is very good value but not a special car like the 2WD GTS.

--

"Form follows function"

davew (cincy):

The real joke will be later on when these are up for re-sale, and the owner will state "only X of these were ever produced!"

I think it was fairly clear (RC made the point originally I think) that the biggest benefit to the GTS was the value of the package, so I assumed it was pretty much a parts bin exercise all along.  Especially when you realize the global recession has probably left Porsche with a large supply of surplus parts to work with.  So they decided against postponing the next model, or reducing the price of the Carrera and Carrera S.  Both those choices would have sucked!

Ron (Houston):

I assume your joking here...?  Otherwise, what engine would these have in them?

Same engine but 2 extra HP the engine will produce 410HP from 408HP, price will be higher of course Smiley.

--
    Happy Driving

Next up, the narrow body AWD!

Ron (Houston):

Couldn't they all have the same 408PS engine?Smiley 

--

RT Moderator 
    - 997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm sports suspension/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Both the GTS and the 4 GTS are 'parts bin' exercises.

--

"Dream as impractical, irrational and unnecessary as that may be... Here's to the Dreamers!" -- Porsche AG.

But the GTS makes sense, its a great car, all its optiuons make sense as a package, and make it the sportiest and best Carrera version ever, the problem is that it was introduced at the end of the life cycle so in compensation is was sold at a great price, its a great deal. But putting AWD on such a concept? its like putting AWD on a GT3, not quite the same but I'm just trying to to illustrate the point. And on top of it just 3 months away from the 991...

--

The 991 will be launched in Frankfurt in September but when will customer cars be delivered? Surely there will be an interval .... I guess something needs to keep the factory production line ticking along ...

--

RT Moderator 
    - 997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm sports suspension/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Porker:

Next up, the narrow body AWD!

997 Carrera 4 GTSE - Slim Edition.

With Porsche cranking out special editions at this rate, soon they will get to a 997 Turbo S in Targa, which I really want.................................

i think it is time to stop milking

Carlos from Spain:

But the GTS makes sense, its a great car, all its optiuons make sense as a package, and make it the sportiest and best Carrera version ever, the problem is that it was introduced at the end of the life cycle so in compensation is was sold at a great price, its a great deal. But putting AWD on such a concept? its like putting AWD on a GT3, not quite the same but I'm just trying to to illustrate the point. And on top of it just 3 months away from the 991...

It makes sense if you want the wide body and PSE. Some don't.

--

"Dream as impractical, irrational and unnecessary as that may be... Here's to the Dreamers!" -- Porsche AG.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky The moment I've been waiting for... 10/25/21 12:29 AM
    Pilot

492379 1291
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 11/8/21 7:43 PM
    Leawood911
    181072 1154
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 11/12/21 10:01 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    71679 383
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 11/25/21 6:30 PM
    watt
    67031 686
    Porsche Sticky Porsche Taycan Turbo S - Short Review 11/19/21 6:44 AM
    bluelines
    53136 529
    Porsche Sticky ROAD TEST: New 992 Carrera 4S 3/3/21 10:57 PM
    Wonderbar
    49046 336
    Porsche Sticky Porsche extends the Taycan model range (Taycan 2WD) 2/1/21 12:42 PM
    Leawood911
    13373 29
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 11/18/21 3:28 PM
    RCA
    470 0
    Porsche Cayman GT4 10/5/21 7:04 PM
    Topspeed
    473925 3587
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017) 9/28/21 3:25 AM
    WhoopsyM
    389844 3507
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 11/25/21 12:31 AM
    WhoopsyM
    386106 3949
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991.2 GT3 RS (2018) 11/17/21 5:18 PM
    Rossi
    351575 3256
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 10/8/21 11:41 AM
    xpto
    320940 2647
    Porsche 992 GT3 11/26/21 9:25 PM
    nberry
    277012 3107
    Porsche OFFICIAL: The new Porsche 992 – a design icon and high-tech sports car 9/29/21 1:59 AM
    watt
    254697 1587
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Panamera (2016) 2/11/21 9:22 AM
    Itsme
    169316 1379
    Lambo Lamborghini Huracan and variants 4/9/21 4:32 PM
    Topspeed
    120049 1225
    Porsche Donor vehicle for Singer Vehicle Design 9/22/21 1:28 AM
    Leawood911
    104431 749
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 10/9/21 1:11 PM