Crown

Board: Motor Sports Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Porsche Back in Le Mans with LMP1 2014

For those of you that are seriously considering going to Le Mans, I will be looking at these guys to organize my trip to Le Mans. I have never used them before, but from what I hear, they are quite good.

Spyderidol:

For those of you that are seriously considering going to Le Mans, I will be looking at these guys to organize my trip to Le Mans. I have never used them before, but from what I hear, they are quite good.

I presume they would give us a rate if a number of us booked as a group. Do you have any idea what it runs for a weekend for a couple?
    That would be dream trip accompanied by maybe picking up a new GT3 at the factory on the way.Smiley

--

"We all love the music. What we hope is that the music loves us." -- Tom Waits

The prices vary widely - It depends on the type of accommodation you want (and there is quite a varied choice) , what tickets you want for the race, and how many days you want to attend. If you go to here, I think you will find some ticket prices.

2014?!

So much can happen between then and now that I wouldn't get excited. I have seen racing programs get cancelled when the debut date is that far out. Or they can't get the car to perform for contention, so they pull the plug.

Wasn't the CGT a cancelled LMP-1 program?

Don't say that, Heist! We're already planning our trip! Smiley

[You're right, of course. But I'm in no mood for reality this morning]Smiley I'm busy fantasizing.

--

No - The CGT was the "product " of the cancelled LMP2000 program. After WW sold out the LMP racing program to VAG in exchange for the building of the Cayenne, Porsche was left with a superb V10 with no racing program. They then managed to convince WW to allow them to bulid a road car that would use the V10 engine. Thus the birth of the CGT.

Also - The time until 2014 Le Mans may be along way away, but remember that the program will have to start way before then (at least 18 to 20 months before)

Actually, the group you posted earlier with the camping and little cabins looks pretty good to me and reasonable, although for some reason all their ticket prices seem to include transport from London, if I'm reading it right.

Anyway, it looks like fun and I have it on my mid-range planning calendar now, along with factory delivery on a GT3, one of my ultimate bucket list itemsSmiley.

--

Spyderidol:

Also - The time until 2014 Le Mans may be along way away, but remember that the program will have to start way before then (at least 18 to 20 months before)

Knowing Porsche, I'm betting the program has started. Porsche are not "we're gonna" guys. My experience is that they announce only after steps are in place.

--

Yes, I fancy those little cabins as well. 

Yes as far as I can tell, one has to go to Le Mans via the UK, but I'll check on this as we get closer to the date.

Carrageous:
    Spyderidol:

Knowing Porsche, I'm betting the program has started. Porsche are not "we're gonna" guys. My experience is that they announce only after steps are in place.

Yes, I am sure that there is already a pre-program in place . After all , this decision has to be taken at the board level, so figures and concrete ideas will have needed to be in place. I dont think that there is any actaul building currently taking place....but it wont be long.

The Automobile Club de l’Ouest is delighted about Porsche’s return to Le Mans!

01/07/201118h50 - Actu Auto - 24 HEURES DU MANS 2011

Following the announcement that Porsche is coming back to the Le Mans 24 Hours, the Automobile Club de l’Ouest wishes to congratulate the company on its decision given its historic links with the Le Mans 24-Hours myth, and is again ready to take the fight to the prestigious competitors that are already locked in battle in the race. 

The Porsche-Le Mans story is a long one. The German make has built its sporting legend in the Le Mans 24 Hours. It first entered the Sarthe classic on an official basis in 1951. Since then, Porsche has won the race outright on sixteen occasions, a record. Its first overall victory came in 1970 thanks to the mythic 917 (Herrmann-Attwood), and the last was in 1998 (Aiello-McNish-Ortelli) at the wheel of the powerful 911 GT1.

In addition, the links between the Automobile Club de l’Ouest and Porsche were strengthened at the start of 2011 with the implantation of the prestigious Porsche Driving School in France on the Le Mans circuit. Since then, the manufacturer’s only driving school in France has met with great success.

To conclude: the 24-Hours museum currently hosts a Porsche at Le Mans exhibition, which Mr. Jean-Claude Plassart, the Automobile Club de l’Ouest President, visited to render homage to the past and future of the make in the Le Mans 24 Hours.

Jean-Claude Plassart, President of the Automobile Club de l’Ouest: "We’re delighted that Porsche is making its comeback to the Le Mans 24 Hours in the LM P1 category while still racing officially in the LM GTE categories. Historically speaking, Porsche is a make closely linked to our event in which it still holds the record for the highest number of victories. That it is coming back to try and improve this figure is great news. It is also recognition of the work carried out by the Automobile Club de l’Ouest in the context of its regulations: Porsche in its announcement praised the evolutions and the interest of the regulations that open the door to new technologies. Finally, this announcement shows the ever-increasing prestige of our blue riband event."

Vincent Beaumesnil, the Automobile Club de l’Ouest’s Sports Manager: "It’s obvious that this return heralds the arrival of a new technical approach in the LM P1 category. We’re already working on the 2014 regulations, and Porsche will be one of the major participants in these discussions. Its contribution to our talks can only be of capital importance given this company’s past, and the immense experience it has accumulated in endurance racing. We’re very happy as not only will we have an additional make in LM P1, but also a manufacturer ready to explore new technological avenues."

ACO President, Jean-Claude Plassart, surrounded by some of the Porsches that have left their mark on the history of the Le Mans 24 Hours, is delighted about the make’s return in LMP1...

Smiley SmileySmiley 

Porsche returns to Le Mans in 2014...

Porsche factory returns back with a LMP1 sports prototype to Le Mans. The first use of the all-new race car is scheduled for 2014.

It announced the sports car maker on Wednesday (30.6.) In Stuttgart. Porsche's 16 overall victories, the most successful manufacturer at Le Mans. Most recently, the Porsche 911 GT1 in 1998 was successful.

Hybrid drive for Le Mans possible

"Motor sport has always been an integral part of the Porsche brand," Porsche CEO Matthias Müller stressed the Bekanttgabe the development program for an LMP1 sports prototype. "So for us it was only a matter of time, again to play along with a commitment to work in the premier league of racing. The success of Porsche in Le Mans are unmatched. This is what we want to continue and enter the 17th overall victory."

With the RS Spyder sports prototype, which was in the years 2006 to 2008 from the factory-supported Penske Racing in the USA and by 2010 a number of other customer teams worldwide with great success, most recently put Porsche in the LMP2 class standards.

Concept depends on regulations

Compete with what concept Porsche at Le Mans in 2014, is the sports car maker was still open. That depends on how the new technical regulations for 2014 will look like in detail. The next rules per se is basically for Porsche, so attractive, because the integration of technology in the hybrid vehicle concept is one of the possible options.

The first Porsche overall victory was taken by Hans Herrmann and Richard Attwood in 1970 with the legendary 917 short tail. The 16th and to date last win was overall Laurent Aiello, Stephane Ortelli and Allan McNish in 1998 with the 911 GT1. Celebrated in the LMP2 class of the Porsche sports prototype RS Spyder in 2008 and 2009 to win.

Porsche-returns-to-Le-Mans-2014_Sport-Auto-article-link

Smiley SmileySmiley

Holy cow! that's quite a post!

I think I'll pull out my copy of Le Mans this weekend and watch Steve McQueen drive.

--

Carrageous:

Don't say that, Heist! We're already planning our trip! Smiley

[You're right, of course. But I'm in no mood for reality this morning]Smiley I'm busy fantasizing.

:-)). Too funny!

Porsche and Audi Set to Square Off in Le Mans Competition...

- Gary Watkins, Autoweek

Audi looks certain to go head-to-head with Porsche when it's sister marque in 2014mounts a bid for the overall win at Le Mans for the first time in 16 years. In the wake of Porsche's June 30 announcement that it will return to Le Mans, Audi Sport boss Wolfgang Ullrich said that he expects to race in the LMP1 Prototype division through 2014 and beyond. He insisted there will be no conflict between the two Volkswagen Group brands competing against each other.

"This is something we will have to decide, but basically our program is that we are going to continue the route with the 24 hours", he told Autoweek. "Each brand is taking it's own decision, though in consultation with the main VW Group board."

AW understands that VW bosses, including supervisory board chairman Ferdinand Piech, gave Porsche and Audi the clear to race each other, with the proviso that they use different technologies. At likely means Porsche using gasoline power with hybrid systems, while Audi will stick with turbodiesel engines.

Sources say that VW gave Audi an ultimatum for 2011 to build a car that was to match the latest Peugeot LMP1 contender. The pace of the new R18 as much as it's win at Le Mans last month is thought to have secured Audi's long-term future in sports car racing.

That theory is supported by Porsche making it's announcement after Le Mans rather than during this year's event before Audi had proved it's competitiveness. Porsche Motorsport boss Hartmut Kristen revealed that the company decided to return to LMP1 "in the past months," and that the announcement of the FIA World Endurance Championship for 2012 in early June (Competition, July 11) had "no effect" on the process.

[Autoweek]

SmileySmileySmiley

As is should be. Both have much to gain from and much to contribute to motorsports.

--

"People ignore design that ignores people."

great post

cheers Boxster Coupe GTS

Things may not be what they seem to appear to be.

murphythebear.com/blog/index.php/2011/07/18/192-porsche-and-audi-abruzzi-again-alms-change-but-what-is-it/#more-1107

A glorious past ... it's tragic that it isn't a glorious present anymore ...

--

RT Moderator 
    - 997.1 Carrera S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm sports suspension/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

http://www.youtube.com/v/yvtqgrJEtOo&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src=" http://www.youtube.com/v/yvtqgrJEtOo&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"

Spyderidol:

Former Porsche President Peter Schutz Talks about Winning...

SmileybSmileySmiley

SmileySmileySmiley

Thanks for posting!!!!

Blueflame Smiley

I could only pray that my memory, recall, and elocution is as sharp as his is when I reach that age.

Great vid!

I hope Hans Mezger never sees it. He wouldn't take too kindly to being called Heinz Mezger.  Smiley

--

fritz

In the meanwhile, yesterday saw the symbolic turning of the first soil that heralded the start of the extension of its Research and Development Centre in Weissach (Baden-Württemberg). The site is being enlarged through the addition of a highly modern design studio, a high-tech wind tunnel and an electronics integration center. Porsche is investing around 150 million euro in this respect.

Hurley Haywood: The History of Rennsport...

"Five-time 24 Hours of Daytona winner Hurley Haywood discusses the long history of Porsche in motor racing. With Rennsport Reunion IV this year at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca, Hurley depicts what the California Porsche culture is like, while establishing how Rennsport was founded..."

Hurley-Haywood_The-History-of-Rennsport_Video-Link

Smiley SmileySmiley

hey spyderidol

do you think Porsche will be back on a regular basis every year to lemans after 2014? I hope this racing program will be on going for years. I too will be there in 2014

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part I) Thread Closed 9/24/20 12:47 AM
    watt
    576640 2849
    Porsche Sticky The moment I've been waiting for... 12/30/20 9:03 AM
    rhino

356580 1279
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/10/21 2:32 PM
    Joost
    85867 1085
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/4/21 8:01 AM
    bluelines
    43253 328
    Porsche Sticky ROAD TEST: New 992 Carrera 4S 3/3/21 10:57 PM
    Wonderbar
    35049 336
    Porsche Sticky Porsche Taycan Turbo S - Short Review 10/19/20 6:12 PM
    Leawood911
    32676 380
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/14/21 2:39 PM
    watt
    14883 299
    Porsche Sticky Porsche extends the Taycan model range (Taycan 2WD) 2/1/21 12:42 PM
    Leawood911
    4117 29
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 GT3 (2017) 7/27/20 2:13 AM
    DJM48
    560834 5257
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991 Turbo and Turbo S 4/20/20 8:24 AM
    schmoell
    533320 4260
    Porsche Cayman GT4 4/13/21 10:04 AM
    996FourEss
    400768 3585
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 4/13/21 8:01 AM
    BjoernB
    355285 3915
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017) 12/27/20 4:06 PM
    Topspeed
    352186 3486
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991.2 GT3 RS (2018) 11/5/20 9:55 PM
    DaveGordon
    312347 3242
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 12/8/20 7:51 PM
    DJM48
    309543 2646
    Porsche OFFICIAL: The new Porsche 992 – a design icon and high-tech sports car 2/28/21 8:05 PM
    Topspeed
    215184 1542
    Porsche Tesla Roadster 9/23/20 8:22 PM
    bluelines
    182246 4279
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Panamera (2016) 2/11/21 9:22 AM
    Itsme
    160247 1379
    Others Alfa Romeo 4C 9/23/20 10:22 AM
    RCA
    137951 792
    Porsche 992 GT3 4/15/21 1:06 AM