Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Spy shots of Corvette Z07/Blue Devil/Stingray etc.

hese appear to be the best non-engine bay shots yet of the new-for-2009 up-charged Corvette ZR-1 (or SS, Mako Shark, Blue Devil, or whatever folks want to call it these days). Although one thing we do know is if it's going to be called ZR-1 with that new 6.2L supercharged small-block nuclear reactor powerplant that's expected to be under the hood, then the name probably could stand for "Zee Really fast 1." We're expecting this new 'vette to bow at the Detroit Auto Show in January. Full scoop from spy shooter Brenda Priddy after the jump -- more pictures coming momentarily.

These are likely the best and maybe the last pictures of what is commonly referred to as the Blue Devil Corvette, before it's makes its official debut in January at the NAIAS in Detroit. For the last two years the media has called the supercharged Corvette everything from Blue Devil to SS, Z07 and Sting Ray, but Motor Trend recently stated that it will officially be called the ZR-1.
    At a quick glance this might look like an 'ordinary' Z06 with a vinyl-clad hood, but this Corvette is anything but ordinary!
    Power for this beast will come from GM's new LS9 motor. The LS9 is a 6.2L, supercharged, small-block V8. This powerplant will put out anywhere from 600-650 horsepower. The supercharged V8 will utilize an integrated intake manifold intercooler, and it's expected to run a 0-60 in under 3.5 seconds. The 6.2-liter V8 will be built at GM's Performance Center in Wixom, Michigan. Our photographer reported that the exhaust note coming from this monster was "VERY mean....VERY angry."
    The super-hot ZR-1 will weight even less than the Z06, utilizing more carbon fiber in the body (notice A and B pillars, and the roof), as well as polycarbonate "window" in the hood. The rocker panels, as well as other body panels, may be carbon fiber as well.
    With speeds reaching, and possibily exceeding, 200mph, a wider, taller, lip spoiler has been added to the back of this Corvette. The spoiler now runs almost the entire length of the car to increase downforce and keep those massive tires glued to the road.
    In the past few months, rumors have circulated that GM would be switching from Goodyear tires to Michelin tires for this Super Vette. We can now confirm this as this test car is sporting Michelin Pilot Sport ZP tires. The rear tires appear to be a whopping 335/25Z/20 size! A quick look inside the tires also reveals a huge set of cross-drilled rotors and an equally large set of calipers. We believe it to be a carbon-ceramic brake set-up.
    Production of the supercharged Corvette will start in July of 2008 (as a 2009 model). Annual production numbers expected to be in the 1500-1750 range. When the all-new ZR-1 goes to production- expect the price tag to be in the $100,000 range.

More photos:
    http://jalopnik.com/photogallery/2009CorvetteZR1Spy/

Notice the new carbon ceramic disks!

Re: Spy shots of Corvette Z07/Blue Devil/Stingray etc.

Phew,

just thinking about that car yesterday afternoon. I'd say more power is about the last thing I'd need on such a car.

Curious how the improvements on suspension will effect the handling - I am curious what GM can make out of this car!

Re: Spy shots of Corvette Z07/Blue Devil/Stingray

Z06 is 997TT performance for half the price,

this puppy will be GT2 performance for half the price, makes sense...

What is bothering is Porsche not trying to lighten his cars with CF and such...

Quote:
    SciFrog said:

Surprisingly they still don't use Aluminum chassis either, for the price Porsche charges they should use Titanium .

Quote:
    SciFrog said:

You are half correct, the price comparo is correct, but the spec comparo isnt, Z06 tops the TT but not by much to be called a spanking, but this will give the GT2 a spanking like never before.

and whoever says that the Vettes dont handle or dont handle like the porsche are koko..

Not to look down upon the awesome new GT2(i love it)..

Here is the video clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrT9KlujoMY

Quote:
    crazi4speed said:
    Quote:
    SciFrog said:

You are half correct, the price comparo is correct, but the spec comparo isnt, Z06 tops the TT but not by much to be called a spanking, but this will give the GT2 a spanking like never before.

and whoever says that the Vettes dont handle or dont handle like the porsche are koko..

We've been through this more times than Bush has said something stupid. The Corvette Z06 doesn't top the Turbo. Each is faster in their respective speed ranges. The Z06 will beat it to 155 mph and then the Turbo will walk it up to its top speed. As for spanking GT2s, I'm more interested in seeing how 700 bhp from a FI application will translate onto the pavement with just one pair of wheels connecting them to the road surface. Seems to me more like a straight-line missile.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    crazi4speed said:
    Quote:
    SciFrog said:

We've been through this more times than Bush has said something stupid. The Corvette Z06 doesn't top the Turbo. Each is faster in their respective speed ranges. The Z06 will beat it to 155 mph and then the Turbo will walk it up to its top speed. As for spanking GT2s, I'm more interested in seeing how 700 bhp from a FI application will translate onto the pavement with just one pair of wheels connecting them to the road surface. Seems to me more like a straight-line missile.

+1
    that would mean spanking of the CGT. Doubtful.

GM stated putting down 650+ HP to the ground was their biggest challenge.

I must say that my current C6Z has 560hp+ and from a dead start, even on street tires, barely spins the tires. I am VERY impressed with how the car handles the power as I have spun many other cars with much less power. They are using custom software to modulate torque control to the wheels at specific RPM. So active handling will probably play a major role in how the motor delivers it's power.

Still, with under 2900lbs or less and 650hp...I can't imagine what is going to touch this car at any level. It will surely be exciting to see. I am more interested in the brakes and the suspension...I truly believe this car is going to much more than a motor only upgrade

Quote:
    95jersey said:
    GM stated putting down 650+ HP to the ground was their biggest challenge.

I must say that my current C6Z has 560hp+ and from a dead start, even on street tires, barely spins the tires. I am VERY impressed with how the car handles the power as I have spun many other cars with much less power. They are using custom software to modulate torque control to the wheels at specific RPM. So active handling will probably play a major role in how the motor delivers it's power.

Still, with under 2900lbs or less and 650hp...I can't imagine what is going to touch this car at any level. It will surely be exciting to see. I am more interested in the brakes and the suspension...I truly believe this car is going to much more than a motor only upgrade

Agreed,

My Noble M400 upgraded to an M600 (570+ RWHP or about 640 crankHP on a 2,500 pound car or 600HP per metric tonne) is very fast, and I have found the best way to drive the car from launch or from low speeds is to not just stomp on the throttle until third through sixth gears, but even in fifth and sixth gears at full throttle over 100mph, I can hear some wheel screech as the rubber spins just a bit. I'm guessing it does 3 flat for 0-60 and 6's for 0-100, and it has an advantage over the 'Vette since the Noble has the engine just fore the rear axle.

Al - that Noble sound truly scary fast! How are you enjoying it overall? Best and Worst aspects?

Quote:
    Grant said:
    Al - that Noble sound truly scary fast! How are you enjoying it overall? Best and Worst aspects?

The car is great fun. Its low weight and high power make it ideal for the track. I haven't been able to take it to the Glen this summer due to house renovations taking up my weekends, but next spring is another story.

Its major drawback is its lack of a penthouse interior (plastic and alcantara instead of leather and CF-except for CF in the Recaro seatbacks), but this car's purposes, that's irrlevant.

You should be able to run some really fast and fun laps at the Glen - let me know how it goes

Its funny, this car is kind of expensive, compared to a 911 in the US. Here in Europe it looks more like a bargain.

Problem with that car in Europe, you have to hide it when you drive to your client (except you are a pimp).

Some of my friends and myself been testdriving the Vette and had to say its a great car for the money. The machine rocks. Certainly, the materials are not the quality we know from Porsche or Ferrari, but still, a fun car.

Sometimes I wish to live in the US

Quote:
    Turbo Al said:
    Quote:
    Grant said:

The car is great fun. Its low weight and high power make it ideal for the track. I haven't been able to take it to the Glen this summer due to house renovations taking up my weekends, but next spring is another story.

Its major drawback is its lack of a penthouse interior (plastic and alcantara instead of leather and CF-except for CF in the Recaro seatbacks), but this car's purposes, that's irrlevant.

Al, we haven't seen any videos of that beast yet! When? When?

I miss mine, but I know the new owner is tracking it regularly

Quote:
    Mike S said:
    Quote:
    Turbo Al said:
    Quote:
    Grant said:

Grant and Mike,

One of my Porsche buddies and I made a brief Noble and Porsche video recently on local roads, but it was too amateurish and, well, hooliganesque for public/You Tube consumption, and I have been too tied up with family/house renovation projects to go to the Glen, but I promise some kind of video for posting here before summer is out.

Quote:
    Turbo Al said:
    Quote:
    Mike S said:
    Quote:
    Turbo Al said:
    Quote:
    Grant said:

Grant and Mike,

One of my Porsche buddies and I made a brief Noble and Porsche video recently on local roads, but it was too amateurish and, well, hooliganesque for public/You Tube consumption, and I have been too tied up with family/house renovation projects to go to the Glen, but I promise some kind of video for posting here before summer is out.

lol "hooliganesque" i wouldn't mind watching haha!

ok but I'm checking my calender

Well gents this is hilarious, another vette VS. P-car debate. I love it so please allow me to jump in. IMHO no matter how fast the vette is, drive it around at it's maximum speed long enough and do the same with the TT and see which engine goes out of commission faster. Do you think the Vette engine is as sophisticated as the TT, I DON'T Think So and I don't care who says what. I admire the vette for it's performance and value but it ain't no Porsche who cares about spanking, it's not just quantity but quality as well. It's like this a hot $lutty, kinky chick VS. hot elegant classy sexy lady. Which one would you prefer? I personally would like one of each

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part I) Thread Closed 9/24/20 12:47 AM
    watt
    748064 2849
    Porsche Sticky The moment I've been waiting for... 8/11/21 2:00 PM
    throt

451125 1287
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 9/19/21 3:33 PM
    WhoopsyM
    166190 1098
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 9/17/21 8:59 PM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    65410 380
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 9/20/21 8:07 AM
    RCA
    54046 511
    Porsche Sticky ROAD TEST: New 992 Carrera 4S 3/3/21 10:57 PM
    Wonderbar
    46467 336
    Porsche Sticky Porsche Taycan Turbo S - Short Review 10/19/20 6:12 PM
    Leawood911
    42923 380
    Porsche Sticky Porsche extends the Taycan model range (Taycan 2WD) 2/1/21 12:42 PM
    Leawood911
    11974 29
    Porsche Cayman GT4 5/4/21 4:46 PM
    Topspeed
    464690 3586
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017) 6/25/21 2:56 PM
    the-missile
    384774 3506
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 8/12/21 4:57 PM
    Topspeed
    381231 3918
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991.2 GT3 RS (2018) 4/28/21 12:26 PM
    W8MM
    347153 3252
    Porsche Tesla Roadster 9/23/20 8:22 PM
    bluelines
    335863 4279
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 12/8/20 7:51 PM
    DJM48
    316994 2646
    Porsche 992 GT3 9/17/21 4:41 PM
    lexs4
    262324 2975
    Porsche OFFICIAL: The new Porsche 992 – a design icon and high-tech sports car 7/20/21 3:10 PM
    Topspeed
    249787 1567
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Panamera (2016) 2/11/21 9:22 AM
    Itsme
    167392 1379
    Others Alfa Romeo 4C 9/23/20 10:22 AM
    RCA
    143199 792
    Lambo Lamborghini Huracan and variants 4/9/21 4:32 PM
    Topspeed
    117897 1225
    Porsche Donor vehicle for Singer Vehicle Design 9/20/21 2:33 PM