Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread


    Re: Gumball 3000 accident

    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    JohnJohn said:
    They should have banned this Gumball crap a long time ago! Good riddance!



    Gumball has outstayed its welcome it would seem. I actually LOVE the idea of driving across a continent, but if Gumball continues next year, the rules will have to be tightened. Speeding is just fine by me, but overly aggressive drivers are what makes this event dangerous. I don't see why everybody has to show off and just delve into the most dangerous possible situations .



    I too love the idea of driving across a continent, but not together with a bunch of playboy loons with too much time and money on their hands and no respect for the law or other people. Sheer and utter stupidity.

    Re: Gumball 3000 accident

    Quote:
    JohnJohn said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    JohnJohn said:
    They should have banned this Gumball crap a long time ago! Good riddance!



    Gumball has outstayed its welcome it would seem. I actually LOVE the idea of driving across a continent, but if Gumball continues next year, the rules will have to be tightened. Speeding is just fine by me, but overly aggressive drivers are what makes this event dangerous. I don't see why everybody has to show off and just delve into the most dangerous possible situations .



    I too love the idea of driving across a continent, but not together with a bunch of playboy loons with too much time and money on their hands and no respect for the law or other people. Sheer and utter stupidity.



    Agree with both of you.

    Re: Gumball 3000 accident

    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Yes, I saw that. However, what was the reason for him to cross the centre lane?



    Many Gumball drivers do not seem to need a reason to cross the centre lane. Judging by the lack of courtesy and respect some of them show each other in the following video, one can imagine how much worse they treat non-Gumball drivers:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LZFhNJ03Lc&mode=related&search=

    In the past I thought all they did was break the speed limit with good judgement and had a little harmless fun. But now I see the Gumball administration do not police their drivers and also do not care if some of their drivers are forcing on-coming traffic to swerve to avoid a collision.

    One of the senior members on m5board.com said if they ever plan to drive through Colorado he will try to convince the law makers and law enforcers of his state to bar them from entering Colorado. I would not hesitate to take the same action if I learn that they plan to drive through my state. These Gumball drivers give sensible speeders and courteous auto enthusiasts a bad name.

    Re: Gumball 3000 accident

    Last I heard the wife has also died of her injuries.

    http://www.autoblog.com/2007/05/04/a-matter-of-time-one-killed-one-injured-gumball-cancelled/

    Re: Gumball 3000 accident

    Quote:
    MAVERICK said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Yes, I saw that. However, what was the reason for him to cross the centre lane?



    Many Gumball drivers do not seem to need a reason to cross the centre lane. Judging by the lack of courtesy and respect some of them show each other in the following video, one can imagine how much worse they treat non-Gumball drivers:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LZFhNJ03Lc&mode=related&search=

    In the past I thought all they did was break the speed limit with good judgement and had a little harmless fun. But now I see the Gumball administration do not police their drivers and also do not care if some of their drivers are forcing on-coming traffic to swerve to avoid a collision.

    One of the senior members on m5board.com said if they ever plan to drive through Colorado he will try to convince the law makers and law enforcers of his state to bar them from entering Colorado. I would not hesitate to take the same action if I learn that they plan to drive through my state. These Gumball drivers give sensible speeders and courteous auto enthusiasts a bad name.



    You're absolutely correct. What doesn't compute is that the driver, seen in the Belgian video, seemed to be cool and collected, not reckless at all. He even used turn signals properly . Also, since I know how people drive in that part of the world, I would not be surprised if it was the old man who changed his direction - at least this is the only scenario I can think of that would put part of the blame on him, as their authorities are suggesting. In any case, you can bet your house that Gumball is going to be much, MUCH more restrained next year. They had to restrain their drivers in 2004 after a series of accidents in Morocco, but alas that did not last. This time, it's here for good, if the Gumball wants to survive. Less arrogant and reckless "celebrities" and more people such as Crash and MAVERICK .

    Re: Gumball 3000 accident

    Quote:
    Shakal said:
    Quote:
    JohnJohn said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    JohnJohn said:
    They should have banned this Gumball crap a long time ago! Good riddance!



    Gumball has outstayed its welcome it would seem. I actually LOVE the idea of driving across a continent, but if Gumball continues next year, the rules will have to be tightened. Speeding is just fine by me, but overly aggressive drivers are what makes this event dangerous. I don't see why everybody has to show off and just delve into the most dangerous possible situations .



    I too love the idea of driving across a continent, but not together with a bunch of playboy loons with too much time and money on their hands and no respect for the law or other people. Sheer and utter stupidity.



    Agree with both of you.



    me also

    Re: Gumball 3000 accident

    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Here is the video of the car, #74. He doesn't seem to be driving really recklessly, he even uses turn signals! Why do I feel that the old guy cut them off and they ran in panic?



    I once went on a day long cross-state drive with other drivers on public roads. During most of the drive, everyone was well behaved. But suddenly, some of them snapped and tried to go as fast as possible endangering the public and themselves. They were going so fast that they could not react in time to a piece of rubber debris. The debris damaged one modified (lowered suspension) car which had to withdraw from the drive. And these drivers were a bunch of ordinary car enthusiasts who lost their self-control for only a few minutes without the influence of booze, blondes, and rally hype. Imagine the temptation had they been Gumball participants with not much fear of jail, having their cars impounded and entrance fees forfeited.

    Maybe the drivers in that video were nearing the end of the stage and were tired after a long day of driving so they were using signals and driving sensibly. But that does not mean #74 and others were not driving irresponsibly earlier during the day when they had more energy and no youtube clips to show their behavior.

    Even if the old guy was completely at fault, why would #74 run for the border if he is not guilty? Gumball drivers have given themselves such a bad reputation for breaking the law and rubbing it in the public's face that when something serious happens, they feel guilty, run like cowards and give those of us who dislike reckless drivers all the ammo we need to call for them to be crucified.

    Re: Gumball 3000 accident

    Quote:
    MAVERICK said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Here is the video of the car, #74. He doesn't seem to be driving really recklessly, he even uses turn signals! Why do I feel that the old guy cut them off and they ran in panic?



    I once went on a day long cross-state drive with other drivers on public roads. During most of the drive, everyone was well behaved. But suddenly, some of them snapped and tried to go as fast as possible endangering the public and themselves. They were going so fast that they could not react in time to a piece of rubber debris. The debris damaged one modified (lowered suspension) car which had to withdraw from the drive. And these drivers were a bunch of ordinary car enthusiasts who lost their self-control for only a few minutes without the influence of booze, blondes, and rally hype. Imagine the temptation had they been Gumball participants with not much fear of jail, having their cars impounded and entrance fees forfeited.

    Maybe the drivers in that video were nearing the end of the stage and were tired after a long day of driving so they were using signals and driving sensibly. But that does not mean #74 and others were not driving irresponsibly earlier during the day when they had more energy and no youtube clips to show their behavior.

    Even if the old guy was completely at fault, why would #74 run for the border if he is not guilty? Gumball drivers have given themselves such a bad reputation for breaking the law and rubbing it in the public's face that when something serious happens, they feel guilty, run like cowards and give those of us who dislike reckless drivers all the ammo we need to call for them to be crucified.



    I won't argue against your other points as you make a lot of sense, but I will comment on the final one. People often flee, regardless of guilt. It's pure shock and perhaps the thought: "What if I did do something wrong?"
    I am not defending the douchebags for leaving the scene and abandoning the old couple in the car for dead, but there are reasons this happens. There is also the theoretical possibility of a lynch mob, which was mentioned on the M5board. Pretty far fetched, as far as I'm concerned, but let's not discount anything yet. The only thing we know for sure is that two people are dead and that the surviving partcipants fled the scene in fear. Anything else I say is just theory of what may had happened.

    EDIT: Reading another forum, I hear that they only took off after the ambulance arrived.

    Re: Gumball 3000 accident

    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Less arrogant and reckless "celebrities" and more people such as Crash and MAVERICK .



    God help us all if those two lunatics are on the road. Better to lock 'em up a la Minority Report.

    Re: Gumball 3000 accident

    Quote:
    MAVERICK said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Less arrogant and reckless "celebrities" and more people such as Crash and MAVERICK .



    God help us all if those two lunatics are on the road. Better to lock 'em up a la Minority Report.



    Well, with us on board, the Gumball has nothing to fear, but us .

    Found a video of the crash site:

    Location video

    It seems that I was right - there was an intersection and I'm pretty sure I know what happened - somebody hadn't used their turn signal.
    Also, there have been reports by other Gumballers that the pair actually DID wait for the ambulance AND the police and only left after the police ALLOWED them to leave, only to be halted at the border when the man died. I think somebody made a major cock-up, and I'm not talking about the crash itself.

    Re: Gumball 3000 accident

    Quote:
    Crash said:
    People often flee, regardless of guilt. It's pure shock and perhaps the thought: "What if I did do something wrong?"



    Yes, I know. But why run for the border when you can run to a safe place within the country until the facts are worked out?

    Quote:
    Crash said:
    There is also the theoretical possibility of a lynch mob, which was mentioned on the M5board.



    Afaik, lynch mobs usually gather in some countries when a pedestrian is killed by an automobile not when two automobiles strike each other. If one is afraid of a possible lynch mob, why run for the border instead of a safe place like a police station?

    Quote:
    Crash said:
    The only thing we know for sure is that two people are dead and that the surviving partcipants fled the scene in fear. Anything else I say is just theory of what may had happened.



    I agree except we do not know whether they fled out of guilt, fear, or both. And the fact that they headed for the border indicates but does not prove guilt.

    Re: Gumball 3000 accident

    Quote:
    MAVERICK said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    People often flee, regardless of guilt. It's pure shock and perhaps the thought: "What if I did do something wrong?"



    Yes, I know. But why run for the border when you can run to a safe place within the country until the facts are worked out?

    Quote:
    Crash said:
    There is also the theoretical possibility of a lynch mob, which was mentioned on the M5board.



    Afaik, lynch mobs usually gather in some countries when a pedestrian is killed by an automobile not when two automobiles strike each other. If one is afraid of a possible lynch mob, why run for the border instead of a safe place like a police station?

    Quote:
    Crash said:
    The only thing we know for sure is that two people are dead and that the surviving partcipants fled the scene in fear. Anything else I say is just theory of what may had happened.



    I agree except we do not know whether they fled out of guilt, fear, or both. And the fact that they headed for the border indicates but does not prove guilt.



    True. In any case, I'm pretty sure all our speculations will look ridiculous when it is revealed what actually happened.

    Re: Gumball 3000 accident

    According to his close friend, the driver allegedly left the scene after receiving police permission. So why are the police filing charges of "failure to provide help?"

    Are the police officers angry with rally drivers travelling at high speed on their roads, therefore they are filing false charges or did he really flee the scene without permission?

    Source: http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1035404&postcount=62

    Re: Gumball 3000 accident

    Here are to more pics from the crash. I only can say "STUPID and FOOLISH"

    Greetings

    Re: Gumball 3000 accident

    and another pic...


    Re: Gumball 3000 accident

    Look's like the gumball party is over,

    too bad they didn't make it to 10 years...

     
    Edit

    Forum

    Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    806291 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    449451 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    267023 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90434 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    7177 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot
     
     
     
     
     
    887152 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    835901 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM
    mcdelaug
    401463 1454
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM
    nberry
    397276 1526
    Others Tesla 2 the new thread 12/13/23 2:48 PM
    CGX car nut
    385066 2401
    Porsche Donor vehicle for Singer Vehicle Design 7/3/23 12:30 PM
    Porker
    371593 797
    Porsche Red Nipples 991.2 GT3 Touring on tour 5/12/24 6:23 PM
    blueflame
    294095 669
    Porsche Collected my 997 GTS today 10/19/23 7:06 PM
    CGX car nut
     
     
     
     
     
    267225 812
    Lambo Huracán EVO STO 7/30/23 6:59 PM
    mcdelaug
    244476 346
    Lotus Lotus Emira 6/25/23 2:53 PM
    Enmanuel
    238959 101
    Others Corvette C8 10/16/23 3:24 PM
    Enmanuel
    222916 488
    Others Gordon Murray - T.50 11/22/23 10:27 AM
    mcdelaug
    173473 387
    Porsche Back to basics - 996 GT3 RS 6/11/23 5:13 PM
    CGX car nut
    145276 144
    BMW M 2024 BMW M3 CS Official Now 12/29/23 9:04 AM
    RCA
    121564 303
    Motor Sp. 2023 Formula One 12/19/23 5:38 AM
    WhoopsyM
    113156 685
    Porsche 2022 992 Safari Model 3/7/24 4:22 PM
    WhoopsyM
    86109 239
    AMG Mercedes-Benz W124 500E aka Porsche typ 2758 2/23/24 10:03 PM
    blueflame
    76335 297
    Porsche 992 GT3 RS 3/3/24 7:22 PM
    WhoopsyM
    55327 314
    Motor Sp. Porsche 963 5/18/24 9:44 PM
    Wonderbar
    27096 249
    Ferrari Ferrari 296 GTB (830PS, Hybrid V6) 1/21/24 4:29 PM
    GT-Boy
    22040 103
    BMW M 2022 BMW M5 CS 4/8/24 1:43 PM
    Ferdie
    20617 140
    AMG G63 sold out 9/15/23 7:38 PM
    Nico997
    17343 120
    AMG [2022] Mercedes-AMG SL 4/23/24 1:24 PM
    RCA
    15057 225
    Motor Sp. 24-Hour race Nürburgring 2018 5/25/23 10:42 PM
    Grant
    11796 55
    Porsche Porsche Mission X Hypercar 12/3/23 8:52 AM
    996FourEss
    11222 63
    122 items found, displaying 1 to 30.