Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread


    Break in technique

    Any ideas on the best break in proceedure? How many miles before you can get into the TT some?

    Has anyone tried the hard core break in proceedure where you run the engine very hard to "seat" the rings better.

    Mike

    Re: Break in technique

    It seems most of the guys publicly voicing their break in habits have been trying to follow the factory recommended 2000 mi protocol. I can't recall any posts about owners driving them really hard from the get-go to "seat the rings".

    I will be driving mine very hard for the first 100 miles (with proper oil warm up) and then take it easy and drive normal. During that first 100 miles I will change the oil twice. I've done this on every car I've ever owned and they all test right at the highest stock reported HP for that model.

    Perhaps some do it this way but are afraid to talk about it publicly in the forums?

    Re: Break in technique

    There are some that suscribe that a proper break in is more for the owner to get used to the car than it is for the car to get seated or "into a good running fit" I agree a bit with both theories. Going into a turn at a good clip and running into the weeds/guardrail would really suck with only 50 miles on the car.

    Re: Break in technique

    Quote:
    Mussl Kar said:
    There are some that suscribe that a proper break in is more for the owner to get used to the car than it is for the car to get seated or "into a good running fit" I agree a bit with both theories. Going into a turn at a good clip and running into the weeds/guardrail would really suck with only 50 miles on the car.



    You are so right. True car enthusiasts know their limits and their cars' limits. Today, though, there are many people climbing into these cars and having no clue on how to drive, although they think differently. It seems that a large number of sold GT2s were crashed by their clueless owners within the first 2 weeks of ownership.

    Re: Break in technique

    Quote:
    Tony007 said:
    It seems most of the guys publicly voicing their break in habits have been trying to follow the factory recommended 2000 mi protocol. I can't recall any posts about owners driving them really hard from the get-go to "seat the rings".

    I will be driving mine very hard for the first 100 miles (with proper oil warm up) and then take it easy and drive normal. During that first 100 miles I will change the oil twice. I've done this on every car I've ever owned and they all test right at the highest stock reported HP for that model.

    Perhaps some do it this way but are afraid to talk about it publicly in the forums?



    And people said I was OCD, changing the oil @ 900 miles.
    I would not drive too easy either. There is a balance. I do subscribe to the factory's recommendations, although, I also vary engine speed and occasionally load the engine by taking it to 4200 rpms in third, fourth, or fifth, then letting the engine braking bring the revs back down. Only partial throtle applications; maybe half throttle.
    My tt is has 2100 miles and I just started getting into it through a couple of the upper gears; holy s--t
    Also, I had to add some oil during the first part of the break in, but since 900 miles, it hasn't (as of yet) needed any more and I check it daily.

    Re: Break in technique

    Quote:
    Mussl Kar said:
    There are some that suscribe that a proper break in is more for the owner to get used to the car than it is for the car to get seated or "into a good running fit" I agree a bit with both theories. Going into a turn at a good clip and running into the weeds/guardrail would really suck with only 50 miles on the car.



    Breaking a car in properly and the driver becomming familiar with the cornering & handling limits in that car are two separate things entirely.

    What I'm specifically referring to is driving the car very hard (with specific protocol) in an effort to achieve the maximum HP that an engine is able to achieve.

    Have you ever heard that when dyno'ing two identical cars one car will make ALOT more power than the other. With that there are two issues, one is the way the car was broken in, the other is the current state of aggressiveness in the engine software.

    Make no mistake, this break in procedure is NOT done during cornering maneuvers.

    Re: Break in technique

    Dealer told me that Porsche factory runs the engine for 30min at full revs. After this the oil is changed and the engine is installed in the chassis. He said no advantage in changing the oil early. Also seems if factory is running the engine max revs for 30mins then the engine should be not babied during break in.

    Any thoughts on this?

    Mike

    Re: Break in technique

    Talked with dealer and he said that Porsche factory is breaking in every turbo with a 30min run at max revs, then changes oil and installs in car chassis. He said no advantage to chaniging the oli early.

    Any thoughts on this and how engine should be broken in with this info>

    Mike

    Re: Break in technique

    Quote:
    mawyatt said:
    Talked with dealer and he said that Porsche factory is breaking in every turbo with a 30min run at max revs, then changes oil and installs in car chassis. He said no advantage to chaniging the oli early.

    Any thoughts on this and how engine should be broken in with this info>

    Mike



    This is a intresting topic. I found a very intresting website either on a post on this forum or another where the same topic was discussed. The website is www.mototuneusa.com, when you log onto the site register for the Power News Magazine and Bookmark the page that it takes you to so you can use it as an easy index to the past issues.
    This guy is a race bike engine builder and he goes with hard break in theory. As a Porsche Technitian I fully agree with him, as he proves it and many other things through articles on the site. Remember that bike engines spin at around 15,000Rpm even 18,000Rpm so a builder like him must fully understand the stresses of an engine otherwise he would not be in bussiness very long.

    Start reading the very first articles and progress from there so you can get into the flow of things.

    Re: Break in technique

    The factory may be running the engines then but that doesn't mean that the rest of the mechanical pieces were broken in properly. I visited the factory last summer and saw them running those engines.

     
    Edit

    Forum

    Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky The moment I've been waiting for... 5/18/22 6:36 PM
    Pilot
     
     
     
     
     
    690416 1306
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 1/29/23 2:19 AM
    watt
    322935 1192
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 1/26/23 4:09 PM
    W8MM
    221694 1340
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 1/28/23 3:45 AM
    Spyderidol
    206349 465
    Porsche Sticky Porsche Taycan Turbo S - Short Review 10/6/22 12:37 AM
    WhoopsyM
    187665 580
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 1/20/23 10:57 PM
    Pilot
    133042 58
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 11/30/22 2:30 PM
    GnilM
    58452 68
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 12/25/22 1:02 AM
    CGX car nut
    483900 2663
    Porsche 992 GT3 2/1/23 7:03 AM
    GnilM
    479560 3807
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 1/21/23 3:51 PM
    CGX car nut
    234275 1491
    Porsche Donor vehicle for Singer Vehicle Design 9/30/22 6:31 PM
    Grant
    232286 774
    AMG AMG GT R 3/13/22 8:52 PM
    spudgun
    202261 834
    Lambo Aventador and SV 5/20/22 5:24 PM
    Topspeed
    198400 710
    Others Tesla 2 the new thread 2/2/23 4:53 AM
    WhoopsyM
    197286 2060
    Porsche GT4RS 12/30/22 1:28 AM
    JAMS
    192598 1194
    Motor Sp. [2021] Formula 1 4/19/22 10:08 PM
    Leawood911
    165159 1590
    Others Bugatti Chiron 8/30/22 4:31 PM
    Josef
    162195 525
    Ferrari Ferrari 812 Superfast 6/12/22 5:09 PM
    watt
    158302 535
    BMW M BMW M2 Rumors 2/28/22 7:42 PM
    Topspeed
    144859 409
    Porsche Red Nipples 991.2 GT3 Touring on tour 2/2/23 4:32 PM
    Joost
    142221 519
    Lambo Urus (SUV) 6/7/22 1:20 PM
    Topspeed
    139666 593
    Others Corvette C8 7/18/22 12:40 PM
    WhoopsyM
    138699 443
    Porsche Dave and Gnil @ Nürburgring Nordschleife 7/4/22 10:42 PM
    DaveGordon
    137159 722
    Motor Sp. [2022] Formula 1 2/1/23 9:36 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    129611 1573
    Others Toyota Yaris GR 4/13/22 8:33 PM
    Grant
    108516 640
    Lambo Huracán EVO STO 7/21/22 8:37 AM
    RCA
    107366 335
    AMG Mercedes E63 S AMG (2018) - Short Review (updated on a regular basis) 10/24/22 7:42 AM
    RCA
    105149 402
    Ferrari Wandered to the dark side 8/29/22 9:35 AM
    BiTurbo
    80323 418
    Ferrari Ferrari Roma 4/18/22 4:33 PM
    watt
    32664 438
    Motor Sp. MotoGP 6/6/22 11:49 PM
    watt
    31743 328
    164 items found, displaying 1 to 30.