Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Need help - Boxster Spyder

The plan is to buy in 2013 a used Boxster Spyder as a keeper. Smiley

Normally I am a stick-shift-fan and the Spyder should be a stick too. I already have 2 "pure" cars (964RS and Lotus Elise SC) with stick shift.

BUT  -  Last friday I had the chance to drive a basic 981 with PDK an I felt in love with that combo - the car is great.

The question goes now to someone who can compare: Is the 987 PDK (Spyder) as good as the 981 PDK (f.e. shift times)??

Thanks for your help.

Blueflame Smiley

Re: Need help - Boxster Spyder

The 987 PDK is pretty close to the 981 PDK but your dealer surely has a used 987 somewhere with PDK, so you can try one? Just saying...

Regarding the Spyder: Before you go for it, try the roof mechanism first (opening and closing). In many cases, this 20 minute "exercise" kept many potential buyers from buying it. For Germany not the best choice since it needs some time to get the roof on, especially when it starts raining.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, BMW X5M, Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe PP/DP, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

RC:

Regarding the Spyder: Before you go for it, try the roof mechanism first (opening and closing). In many cases, this 20 minute "exercise" kept many potential buyers from buying it. For Germany not the best choice since it needs some time to get the roof on, especially when it starts raining.

Christian, don't waste your energy explaining the roof mechanism: blueflame owns a Lotus, he is already discomfort-proofed Smiley

Thanks for the info.

Regarding the roof - I already have a Elise, so I am used to this...Smiley

But 20 minutes is far too much - this guy is not in a hurry Smiley:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ny8qcnhrkBs

I have done it (closing) already in under 2 Minutes on the Spyder of a friend - ok it looks funny for the people watching it...Smiley

Blueflame Smiley

btw blueflame, don't you find the Cayman R more appealing ? Since you already own a cabriolet, sort of.

PDK in the new generation cars (981 and 991) is much better than previous generations (987, 997).

New PDK is super quick, seamless and does not get 'lost' like old PDK.

If going Spyder, stick with manual.

Gauss:

btw blueflame, don't you find the Cayman R more appealing ? Since you already own a cabriolet, sort of.

I think the Spyder is right now a underestimated car - in my POV it will be a collectors car and plus I don´t like the Cayman.Smiley

The spyder is not just a Sticker-Edition like f.e. the "Porsche Design"  it´s something special, because of that crazy roof.

There are some serious Porsche collectors here in Germany who bought Spyders...this car is just crazy, but cool...

And it will look very nice between my 964 RS an the 997 GT3 RS 3.6 (another plan)  in the future.Smiley

Blueflame Smiley

blueflame:
    Gauss:

I think the Spyder is right now a underestimated car - in my POV it will be a collectors car and plus I don´t like the Cayman.Smiley

+1 Smiley

Plus the Spyder seems to handle better than the Cayman R on the track (according to comparison tests).

--

Porsche 997 Carrera S in Carrara White with black leather interior. PASM-Sport Suspension (-20 mm), PSE.

Audi S5 cabrio in Ibis White with black leather interior.

bluelines:
    blueflame:
    Gauss:

+1 Smiley

Plus the Spyder seems to handle better than the Cayman R on the track (according to comparison tests).

Yes, I have read this also, but how can this be, if the Cayman is more rigid Smiley

The Spyder I drove on the mountains was fantastic (with Ceramics)  but it lacks power. I would go for the PDK as it makes the car feel more nimble + it is faster on the track.

Better collector's proposition compared one of the thousands of 981s.

I wouldn't go for black like the car I drove, but it is a matter of taste. White and Silver are my favourites or something like yellow for the more extrovert.

Porsche 24 Sept 2010 009.jpgPorsche 24 Sept 2010 002.jpg

--

"Form follows function"

blueflame:

Thanks for the info.

Regarding the roof - I already have a Elise, so I am used to this...Smiley

But 20 minutes is far too much - this guy is not in a hurry Smiley:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ny8qcnhrkBs

I have done it (closing) already in under 2 Minutes on the Spyder of a friend - ok it looks funny for the people watching it...Smiley

Blueflame Smiley

Under 2 minutes? Are you sure you did it right? I've seen the guy who developed it doing it and it took almost 5 minutes. Smiley He didn't hurry but was doing it in a normal speed.

As a collector's car, you could be right: The Boxster Spyder is inexpensive, I remember my dealer selling two of them way under MSRP but I think that in a couple of years, the Spyder could be in demand with collectors.

Look at the 964 RS right now: It is practically impossible to get a good car for somehow little money, the price increases are insane.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, BMW X5M, Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe PP/DP, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

Gauss:
    bluelines:
    blueflame:
    Gauss:

+1 Smiley

Yes, I have read this also, but how can this be, if the Cayman is more rigid Smiley

Who says the Cayman is more rigid? Smiley I don't think the difference in rigidity is significant on the 986/987 model. The car was a developed and engineered as a cabriolet first... then they added a roof. For most other cars it is the opposite way around and the cabriolet version ends up a lot heavier and with more flex.

I tracked a Boxster S for 5+ years and never noticed it flexing. Rigid as a rock Smiley

--

Porsche 997 Carrera S in Carrara White with black leather interior. PASM-Sport Suspension (-20 mm), PSE.

bluelines:
    Who says the Cayman is more rigid? Smiley I don't think the difference in rigidity is significant on the 986/987 model. The car was a developed and engineered as a cabriolet first... then they added a roof. For most other cars it is the opposite way around and the cabriolet version ends up a lot heavier and with more flex.

I think the Cayman is MUCH more rigid by the numbers (IIRC, something like 50% more torsional rigidity and 100% more longitudinal rigidity).  Correct me if I remembered wrong...

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs).  Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550 Maranello

Grant:
    bluelines:

I think the Cayman is MUCH more rigid by the numbers (IIRC, something like 50% more torsional rigidity and 100% more longitudinal rigidity).  Correct me if I remembered wrong...

Yes, this could be right. I never saw any numbers on the Boxster vs Cayman rigidity, I only remember reading that the 987 Boxster has the same rigidity as an BMW E46 M3 coupe.

--

I looked at the price of the Spyder over here. They are not cheap . Their price is in the same range as an early  997.2  Carrera S .

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Gnil:

I looked at the price of the Spyder over here. They are not cheap . Their price is in the same range as an early  997.2  Carrera S .

The Swiss was always a Connaisseur-market...Smiley

In Germany you can get one for about 50.000 € right now - My plan ist to buy in February 2013 for max. 47.000 €.

Blueflame Smiley

Nice:http://suchen.mobile.de/auto-inserat/porsche-boxster-spyder-spettacolare-pari-al-nuovo-padova/170604971.html?lang=de&pageNumber=1&__lp=2&scopeId=C&sortOption.sortBy=price.consumerGrossEuro&makeModelVariant1.makeId=20100&makeModelVariant1.modelId=16&makeModelVariant1.modelDescription=spyder&makeModelVariant1.searchInFreetext=false&makeModelVariant2.searchInFreetext=false&makeModelVariant3.searchInFreetext=false&minFirstRegistrationDate=2010-01-01&negativeFeatures=EXPORT

I had an offer for a perfect 964 RS a couple of years ago, car was a collector's car but he needed the money (2008) and there was no real market for it in winter time, so he offered me the car, with only 22000 km and in grade 1 condition (original paint, no accidents, just perfect, german car, no racing) for 50k EUR flat. I actually wanted it but my wife said I am crazy and after some thinking, especially after not knowing what the future will bring (financially), I declined the very good offer. He sold the car to somebody else and now that same person sells the very same car, with some work (seats and paint) done on it but only 25000 km for....hold your breath...100k EUR. Ouch.

I would have driven it, not collected it but it is amazing how many people are looking for used 964 and 993 over here in Germany, you barely find a car in a good condition, the prices are high and most "good" cars are actually imported from the US. Somebody I know flies over twice a year to buy used 964 and 993, to bring them to Germany. In the past German buyers actually avoided US cars as much as possible but now there is a huge market and there aren't enough cars...so go figure.

Maybe the Spyder will gain value too at some point, unless Porsche decides to build a 981 Spyder, which isn't necessarily excluded.

--

RC:

I had an offer for a perfect 964 RS a couple of years ago, car was a collector's car but he needed the money (2008) and there was no real market for it in winter time, so he offered me the car, with only 22000 km and in grade 1 condition (original paint, no accidents, just perfect, german car, no racing) for 50k EUR flat. I actually wanted it but my wife said I am crazy and after some thinking, especially after not knowing what the future will bring (financially), I declined the very good offer. He sold the car to somebody else and now that same person sells the very same car, with some work (seats and paint) done on it but only 25000 km for....hold your breath...100k EUR. Ouch.

I would have driven it, not collected it but it is amazing how many people are looking for used 964 and 993 over here in Germany, you barely find a car in a good condition, the prices are high and most "good" cars are actually imported from the US. Somebody I know flies over twice a year to buy used 964 and 993, to bring them to Germany. In the past German buyers actually avoided US cars as much as possible but now there is a huge market and there aren't enough cars...so go figure.

Maybe the Spyder will gain value too at some point, unless Porsche decides to build a 981 Spyder, which isn't necessarily excluded.

I bought my 964 RS with 900km for 40.000€ .... in 1994 Smiley now it has 28.000km. I always wanted to keep this car for my sons, but with an offer over 100.000€, (which I have) you think again.

BlueflameSmiley

blueflame:
    Gnil:

The Swiss was always a Connaisseur-market...Smiley

Yes, sadly I think the market is too small here. It is very rare. I have been searching for a Spyder since it came out, but there are 2-3 for sale and prices have not moved much.

--

blueflame:
    RC:

I bought my 964 RS with 900km for 40.000€ .... in 1994 Smiley now it has 28.000km. I always wanted to keep this car for my sons, but with an offer over 100.000€, (which I have) you think again.

A very nice example!!

964rs.jpg

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

John H:

964rs.jpg

That's exactly what happened with my 964 Turbo 3.6 Smiley  The offer was too good.....

--

@ Blueflame :  Resist the temptation to cash in on your magnificient RS. In 10 years will be worth double your sons will be grateful. A good,original and unrestored 2.7 RS today is 270-300 K Eur at least, a 993 RS is about 150 K Eur. Those are special cars, IMHO no modern RS will come close to them .  Regarding the Boxster Spyder, I had the possibility to drive one up and down from the Grossglockner and it was amazing fun, light with precise handling , it was not a PDK but a manual one with bucket seats which in my opinion is all I would need. The roof is not a big deal, anyway it is not meant to be a daily driver. Honestly I had much more fun driving this one than my 997 on those winding roads.

--

911 Club Coupe, 72' 911 Targa 2.4 S, 12' Audi S4 Avant

m4ever:

@ Blueflame :  Resist the temptation to cash in on your magnificient RS. In 10 years will be worth double your sons will be grateful. A good,original and unrestored 2.7 RS today is 270-300 K Eur at least, a 993 RS is about 150 K Eur. Those are special cars, IMHO no modern RS will come close to them .  Regarding the Boxster Spyder, I had the possibility to drive one up and down from the Grossglockner and it was amazing fun, light with precise handling , it was not a PDK but a manual one with bucket seats which in my opinion is all I would need. The roof is not a big deal, anyway it is not meant to be a daily driver. Honestly I had much more fun driving this one than my 997 on those winding roads.

SmileySmiley

Blueflame Smiley

The roof was such a drag I used to skip the rear window part and just put the roof part on.  This came back to bite me- I was away for the day in my scud and it rained like a bastard, soaking the inside of the car, including the electronics under the drivers seat.

luckily Porsche bailed me out and fixed it perfectly under warranty....

great car though to drive, but roof makes it very iirritating as daily driver.

t

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky The moment I've been waiting for... 5/18/22 6:36 PM
    Pilot

616138 1306
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 8/6/22 1:00 AM
    W8MM
    250480 1183
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 8/13/22 4:05 PM
    watt
    141710 1119
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 8/13/22 10:51 PM
    waiting for PDK
    137868 409
    Porsche Sticky Porsche Taycan Turbo S - Short Review 8/10/22 8:51 PM
    WhoopsyM
    118943 538
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 1/15/22 10:41 PM
    watt
    55893 1
    Porsche Cayman GT4 10/5/21 7:04 PM
    Topspeed
    544504 3587
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017) 9/28/21 3:25 AM
    WhoopsyM
    455078 3507
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 2/1/22 10:14 PM
    SSO.
    451803 3954
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991.2 GT3 RS (2018) 11/17/21 5:18 PM
    Rossi
    417513 3256
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 2/1/22 9:49 AM
    RCA
    405925 2655
    Porsche 992 GT3 8/1/22 9:33 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    390396 3694
    Porsche OFFICIAL: The new Porsche 992 – a design icon and high-tech sports car 9/29/21 1:59 AM
    watt
    316330 1587
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 7/30/22 11:46 AM
    Wonderbar
    165094 1446
    Porsche Donor vehicle for Singer Vehicle Design 2/10/22 9:08 PM
    Topspeed
    163361 772
    AMG AMG GT R 3/13/22 8:52 PM
    spudgun
    136275 834
    Lambo Aventador and SV 5/20/22 5:24 PM