Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayman Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread


    The Cayman and the others....

    Looking these days in various magazines like EVO, Top Gear, 911&PW.... so on ..... everyone thinks about the price of the base Cayman that the car it is too expensive. Nobody argues about the handling, chassis, steering so on. I didn't drove yet the car so I have no idea how it goes. The main problem for all of them is the power. Almost every driver thinks that the car has to be really worked hard to obtain something that feels "fast" from it, and even in those circumstances the car feels... well not fast, or better, not fast for the price of 47.647,00 Euro. One of them even says that the Focus ST feels faster than the Cayman. Looking at the price of the car and comparing it with other cars like the BMW Z4 Coupe that has 20 hp more, but feels a lot faster and cheaper, and the Nissan 350Z that has a lot more power, even the Mazda RX8 can be a threat... what do you think about it? Has Porsche lost the edge with this car? Why the entry level of a coupe in the Porsche range has to feel so underpowered? Also the Boxster S is just 53.099,00 Euro that being less than 6000 euro the difference..... and has the 295 hp engine.... I mean yes many times you hear that Porsche it is not looking to the numbers but the experience of driving. But for a marque that in its blood should be also the fast thing isn't it a little bit embarrassing or so unporsche to say that the car is underpowered? I mean is it more important to buy Porsche and be slow or buy something less noble and be fast?

    Re: The Cayman and the others....

    A company that won't listen to its customers won't last long.

    Re: The Cayman and the others....

    Welcome to the 21st century. Diversify, expand, attract new customers.

    Cayman will satisfy a certain buyer. He wont want a Boxster, because he'll want a coupe. He's not comfortable or unable to spend the extra cash for a Cayman S or a 911. He wants a Porsche. Cayman suddenly makes sense.

    Re: The Cayman and the others....

    Or maybe word will spread and people will boycott the underpowered overpriced Cayman and Porsche will be forced to modify their product line to give the Cayman more power and price it lower than the convertible. The consumer does have the final say here.

    Re: The Cayman and the others....

    Quote:
    mlin said:
    Welcome to the 21st century. Diversify, expand, attract new customers.

    Cayman will satisfy a certain buyer. He wont want a Boxster, because he'll want a coupe. He's not comfortable or unable to spend the extra cash for a Cayman S or a 911. He wants a Porsche. Cayman suddenly makes sense.



    pretty close! thats roughly why i got a Cayman S. + the 911 has been around for a while and you see so many around, while the Cayman is pretty new.

    Re: The Cayman and the others....

    Quote:
    mlin said:
    Welcome to the 21st century. Diversify, expand, attract new customers.

    Cayman will satisfy a certain buyer. He wont want a Boxster, because he'll want a coupe. He's not comfortable or unable to spend the extra cash for a Cayman S or a 911. He wants a Porsche. Cayman suddenly makes sense.



    I couldn't have said it any better

    Re: The Cayman and the others....

    He's talking about why to buy a base non-S Cayman instead of a Cayman S (or a 911), which obviously doesn't apply different from to guys who bought a Cayman S.

    Re: The Cayman and the others....

    Quote:
    mlin said:
    Welcome to the 21st century. Diversify, expand, attract new customers.

    Cayman will satisfy a certain buyer. He wont want a Boxster, because he'll want a coupe. He's not comfortable or unable to spend the extra cash for a Cayman S or a 911. He wants a Porsche. Cayman suddenly makes sense.



    Yes exactly. If the base Cayman existed 6 years ago I would've bought it instead of my base Boxster. It's funny to me these "experts" second guessing Porsche's marketing and development strategy and proclaiming Porsche is headed for trouble. Fact is, Porsche spends millions researching and developing cars and the cars we see now and what we'll see in the next 10 years is no accident but the result of careful research and thought. Porsche has people making these decisions such as the different models that are smarter and have more insight and foresight than any of us. People forget Porsche is the most profitable car company in the world. Gee, I wonder why.

    David

    Re: The Cayman and the others....

    Quote:
    wushuhsu said:
    He's talking about why to buy a base non-S Cayman instead of a Cayman S (or a 911), which obviously doesn't apply different from to guys who bought a Cayman S.



    Same principle applies for Cayman S. 911 was only option for entry into the Porsche brand coupes. With the Cayman S launch there is a lower cost coupe option. And bonus, its a winner.

    Re: The Cayman and the others....

    Quote:
    DavidSF said:
    Quote:
    mlin said:
    Welcome to the 21st century. Diversify, expand, attract new customers.

    Cayman will satisfy a certain buyer. He wont want a Boxster, because he'll want a coupe. He's not comfortable or unable to spend the extra cash for a Cayman S or a 911. He wants a Porsche. Cayman suddenly makes sense.



    Yes exactly. If the base Cayman existed 6 years ago I would've bought it instead of my base Boxster. It's funny to me these "experts" second guessing Porsche's marketing and development strategy and proclaiming Porsche is headed for trouble. Fact is, Porsche spends millions researching and developing cars and the cars we see now and what we'll see in the next 10 years is no accident but the result of careful research and thought. Porsche has people making these decisions such as the different models that are smarter and have more insight and foresight than any of us. People forget Porsche is the most profitable car company in the world. Gee, I wonder why.

    David



    Well, let's never forget they went almost belly up in the 1990s...the boxster saved Porsche...

    Re: The Cayman and the others....

    Quote:
    wushuhsu said:
    Or maybe word will spread and people will boycott the underpowered overpriced Cayman and Porsche will be forced to modify their product line to give the Cayman more power and price it lower than the convertible. The consumer does have the final say here.



    What he said

    Re: The Cayman and the others....

    Quote:
    polo said:
    Quote:
    mlin said:
    Welcome to the 21st century. Diversify, expand, attract new customers.

    Cayman will satisfy a certain buyer. He wont want a Boxster, because he'll want a coupe. He's not comfortable or unable to spend the extra cash for a Cayman S or a 911. He wants a Porsche. Cayman suddenly makes sense.



    I couldn't have said it any better



    Anyone in their right mind would get the Boxster and save 5K...

    Re: The Cayman and the others....

    Quote:
    SciFrog said:
    Quote:
    polo said:
    Quote:
    mlin said:
    Welcome to the 21st century. Diversify, expand, attract new customers.

    Cayman will satisfy a certain buyer. He wont want a Boxster, because he'll want a coupe. He's not comfortable or unable to spend the extra cash for a Cayman S or a 911. He wants a Porsche. Cayman suddenly makes sense.



    I couldn't have said it any better



    Anyone in their right mind would get the Boxster and save 5K...



    SciFrog, some people think a car should have a roof, others obviously prefer convertibles. It is an aesthetic choice. I personally don't like open top motoring, so, if I'm shopping for a Cayman and you offer me a Boxter for 5K less, I'm not interested. I wouldn't buy (if I was in my right mind) a car I inherently don't like to save 5K.

    Re: The Cayman and the others....

    Quote:
    ed_moree said:
    Looking these days in various magazines like EVO, Top Gear, 911&PW.... so on ..... everyone thinks about the price of the base Cayman that the car it is too expensive. Nobody argues about the handling, chassis, steering so on. I didn't drove yet the car so I have no idea how it goes. The main problem for all of them is the power. Almost every driver thinks that the car has to be really worked hard to obtain something that feels "fast" from it, and even in those circumstances the car feels... well not fast, or better, not fast for the price of 47.647,00 Euro. One of them even says that the Focus ST feels faster than the Cayman. Looking at the price of the car and comparing it with other cars like the BMW Z4 Coupe that has 20 hp more, but feels a lot faster and cheaper, and the Nissan 350Z that has a lot more power, even the Mazda RX8 can be a threat... what do you think about it? Has Porsche lost the edge with this car? Why the entry level of a coupe in the Porsche range has to feel so underpowered? Also the Boxster S is just 53.099,00 Euro that being less than 6000 euro the difference..... and has the 295 hp engine.... I mean yes many times you hear that Porsche it is not looking to the numbers but the experience of driving. But for a marque that in its blood should be also the fast thing isn't it a little bit embarrassing or so unporsche to say that the car is underpowered? I mean is it more important to buy Porsche and be slow or buy something less noble and be fast?



    girls, thats another market. Hope I dont get wacked by HP loving girls on this forum, but a fair amount of ladies want a porsche without all the vroom vroom..the base Cayman suddenly makes sense.

    Re: The Cayman and the others....

    Quote:
    need_cayman said:

    girls, thats another market. Hope I dont get wacked by HP loving girls on this forum, but a fair amount of ladies want a porsche without all the vroom vroom..the base Cayman suddenly makes sense.



    Guess you already read the latest Christophorus issue with an article written by a girl praising the Cayman as the ultimate shopping vehicle

    Re: The Cayman and the others....

    Actually I have not yet read it.
    I guess I was right huh. Haha

    Re: The Cayman and the others....

    Quote:
    Porsche-Jeck said:
    an article written by a girl praising the Cayman as the ultimate shopping vehicle



    IMHO, still a better confession than saying that a [insert SUV name] is the ultimate shopping vehicle...At least the girl has taste

     
    Edit

    Forum

    Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part I) Thread Closed 9/24/20 12:47 AM
    watt
    586558 2849
    Porsche Sticky The moment I've been waiting for... 12/30/20 9:03 AM
    rhino
     
     
     
     
     
    359333 1279
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/10/21 2:32 PM
    Joost
    87125 1085
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 5/12/21 3:30 PM
    WhoopsyM
    45548 344
    Porsche Sticky ROAD TEST: New 992 Carrera 4S 3/3/21 10:57 PM
    Wonderbar
    35691 336
    Porsche Sticky Porsche Taycan Turbo S - Short Review 10/19/20 6:12 PM
    Leawood911
    33547 380
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/11/21 3:34 PM
    watt
    17020 344
    Porsche Sticky Porsche extends the Taycan model range (Taycan 2WD) 2/1/21 12:42 PM
    Leawood911
    4738 29
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 GT3 (2017) 7/27/20 2:13 AM
    DJM48
    566858 5257
    Porsche Cayman GT4 5/4/21 4:46 PM
    Topspeed
    408600 3586
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 4/25/21 4:04 PM
    Topspeed
    359019 3916
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017) 4/29/21 7:24 AM
    GnilM
    356612 3494
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991.2 GT3 RS (2018) 4/28/21 12:26 PM
    W8MM
    318319 3252
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 12/8/20 7:51 PM
    DJM48
    310342 2646
    Porsche OFFICIAL: The new Porsche 992 – a design icon and high-tech sports car 2/28/21 8:05 PM
    Topspeed
    219300 1542
    Porsche Tesla Roadster 9/23/20 8:22 PM
    bluelines
    197385 4279
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Panamera (2016) 2/11/21 9:22 AM
    Itsme
    161445 1379
    Others Alfa Romeo 4C 9/23/20 10:22 AM
    RCA
    138359 792
    Porsche 992 GT3 5/18/21 6:37 PM
    xpto
    123264 2374
    Lambo Lamborghini Huracan and variants 4/9/21 4:32 PM
    Topspeed
    106994 1225
    McLaren F1 2/25/21 11:33 AM
    RCA
    77412 207
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 5/18/21 6:01 PM
    WhoopsyM
    71562 1164
    AMG AMG GT R 11/19/20 11:47 PM
    Topspeed
    65232 819
    Lambo Aventador and SV 4/20/21 3:21 PM
    CGX car nut
    64296 683
    Porsche 991 Speedster 9/3/20 4:29 PM
    Topspeed
    57738 878
    Porsche Nürburgring - Tesla vs. Taycan 11/23/20 6:10 PM
    Topspeed
    43585 596
    Others Bugatti Chiron 4/12/21 3:42 PM
    RCA
    36773 476
    Porsche Olive 991.2 GT3 Clubsport 1/1/21 7:58 PM
    throt
    34268 615
    Ferrari Ferrari 812 Superfast 5/18/21 6:37 PM
    Enmanuel
    31517 485
    BMW M BMW M2 Rumors 3/21/21 5:01 PM
    Topspeed
    28868 385
    272 items found, displaying 1 to 30.