Crown

Board: Porsche - Panamera Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Rennteam's First Panamera Test Drive

I had a fairly lengthy test drive of a Panamera turbo today and was very impressed with it's speed and refinement. Although it is a big car it seems to shrink around you after only a few miles at the wheel and you forget you are driving such a large car..... until you come to a bend that is. Porsche have done a great job with the handling but the car can't defy physics. You can find yourself carrying a little more speed into corners than you thought due to the cabin refinement masking the noise and sensation of speed. The car can take corners at speed but the body roll alerts you that you have been enthusiastic

I spent around 20 minutes in the rear whilst the car was being driven and it's a very comfortable car to be a passenger in. I like the rising rear window line as it gives you a greater sense of privacy in the rear from other traffic.

I felt instantly at home in the car and like the layout of the controls. The test car was platinum silver with espresso leather on 20" wheels with CCB's. It's agreat colour combo IMHO and really suits the car.

I'm still not fully convinced by the styling. From the rear three quarters it looks good but from the front three quarters it looks a bit unresolved to my eyes. The potential for epic depreciation worries me a little and I think I'd go for a 2S to make that a bit easier to bare. The outright pace of the turbo would be great on an unrestricted German Autobahn but on congested UK roads it's a waste of money I feel as you rarely get an opportunity to utilise it.

Thanks for the report.--easy to read and understand.

The depreciation and speed utilization issue are probably applicable to any high-powered sports car, and I am a sucker for both.  Something about that turbo power--even in short bursts it is addictive, and that's enough for me.  Just knowing it is there, then getting on it when the road allows a safe blast, is enough for me to ignore the depreciation I know is coming down the line. One could get corny and philosophical here (life is short, so live hard stuff), but I will refrain and just say I am hooked...

Wonderbar:

The depreciation and speed utilization issue are probably applicable to any high-powered sports car, and I am a sucker for both.  Something about that turbo power--even in short bursts it is addictive, and that's enough for me.  Just knowing it is there, then getting on it when the road allows a safe blast, is enough for me to ignore the depreciation I know is coming down the line. One could get corny and philosophical here (life is short, so live hard stuff), but I will refrain and just say I am hooked...

Your post has captured my attitude about the Turbo exactly.  I'm not really interested in actually utilizing the Turbo's high speed potential more than once in a blue moon.  I'm aware of, but not panicked by, the possible depreciation issues because I like the idea of the car more than I fear the dent in my net worth.

On American roads, the high/top speed thing is not such a big factor.  It's acceleration that wins hearts and minds here (like the Tesla).  The Turbo should be enough quicker than the 4S to make it worth the premium for me.

--

Mike

2005 Carrera GT - Signal Yellow

2008 Tesla Roadster - Thunder Gray

1972 BMW 3.0 CSi - Nachtblau

2009 Bentley Arnage T - Black Saphire

I test drove a 4S yesterday and have to say for me it may just be the sweet spot in the range. With sport chrono and PASM it can carry an astonishing level of speed on narrow and twisty B roads in the countryside and I surprised quite a few drivers of other cars with it. They simply weren't expecting something so large to be so agile and fast.

I was very impressed with the car but the styling just doesn't grab me enough to want to buy one. I also think I really need to wait another 10 years or so before succumbing to ownership of  this type of car Smiley

Somewhat worryingly I began to enjoy the cosseting ride at speed a little too much so I turned it around immediately and headed back to the dealer. I jumped back into my girlfriend's Boxster S and ragged it on the journey home just to remind myself that firm suspension is good..... I think

I have to say, I'M AMAZED ABOUT THE PANAMERA, ABSOLUTELY SOLD!!!!!!!!!

Been testdriving a 4S for the whole weekend, more than 700kms of driving, and I can't ONLY PUT ONE SINGLE NEGATIVE POINT TO THE CAR, THE DIMENSIONS !!!!!!

Other than that, its the car, I would buy with NOT A SINGLE SECOND OF THINKING !

Performance and specially HOW IT HANDLES THROUGH CORNERS, has really surprised me for a car of this length and weight, its not even funny, it is VERY QUICK CAR, JUST LIKE A SPORTSCAR I WOULD SAY! ....

Sport chrono in stage 2 is just awesome too !, at 7th gear when you leave your foot off the accelerator, there is like a small ¨ turbine ¨ sound, just when you are in an airplane, its strange but great !! , nice v8 sound, but not as high I would have liked (actually it sounds great, but definately it should sound A LOT MORE)...

Anyways, I will write a little drivings opinion and post some pics during this week !!!

Honestly, I haven't driven a Panamera turbo (and I think I wont either, as its totally out of budget), but a Panamera 4S or S version, is already FAST !!!

If I had to resume all to a number to judge the car it would be a 9.9/10, -0.1 because of its dimensions, its huuuuuge!!!!!!!!

--

Thanks for this exciting review. 

When you say the car is huge--what are you comparing it to? How does it compare in dimensions to the Mercedes E or S class, the Lexus 600, the BMW 7 series? 

The Panamera is shorter and lower than the latest 7 series but slighlty wider. The design gives the optical illusion that the car is very big but when you park it next to it's competitors you realise that it isn't as large as you initially thought.

Panamera            7 series

Length        4970                       5072

Width           1931                      1902

Height          1418                      1479

Thanks ISUK!  I truly appreciate the professional responses sent by you and members of this forum.  Just good, informative facts...

Thanks ALEX - I really appreciate your opinion. Good to hear that you like it!

Hello guys, I'm still putting a smile everytime I remember the Panamera, one thing is looking to the pics at the internet, and another thing much more DIFFERENT is seeing it in rea life, and driving it ( of course ) ...

For me it was quite big (note: i drive now as a daily driver a Smart Fortwo, so that is also one of the main reasons why is so huge !! ), anyways I remember also that parking the car in reverse gear, was not that easy, from what I remember the visibility from the rear window isnt that clear, and if its at night, even much worse (it reminded me to the bmw x6 rear window, which I was also lucky to drive some weeks ago)...but take this with a grain of salt, as right now I drive a smart fortwo and very recently an slk 350

I need to post my experience with the car, upload some pics also, although it was exactly as RC Panamera test, same options I would say, even same wheels!...

Honestly its THE BEST car in its category, no other can handle what this beast gives...I remember driving off from a roundabout, with sport chrono stage 2 connected, and sport button on too, makting the tires scream !!!, I was a little bit scared too !!! Its like if the car compressed all its materials, engine, suspension, steering wheel, all into one piece, and ready to take off!!

--

I drove a Panamera 4S at the Ring today. The car handles great!! It feels a lot smaller once you start increasing the speed, and it feels very safe. The only places the car remind you of its size and weight, is in places like Wehrseifen. Great car!! 

Re: Rennteam's First Panamera 4S Testdrive

Please-----the weight of the Panamera is not 'excessive' for a vehicle of this type. It is in fact relatively low in weight

Buy the S and not the 4 S, and with a manual, for the sportiest combination...

So much criticism is annoying...because it is a little silly.

KiwiCanuck

Re: Rennteam's First Panamera 4S Testdrive

Maybe it will appeal to the new emerging markets of Russia and China but it does nothing for me.

For me, the best thing they can do with the Panamera is to chop several feet off it and produce a spiritual successor to the 928 to compete with the likes of Aston Martin, Ferrari California/F599, Mercedes SLS and the rest.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part I) Thread Closed 9/24/20 12:47 AM
    watt
    582793 2849
    Porsche Sticky The moment I've been waiting for... 12/30/20 9:03 AM
    rhino

358485 1279
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/10/21 2:32 PM
    Joost
    86653 1085
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 5/8/21 9:11 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    44837 342
    Porsche Sticky ROAD TEST: New 992 Carrera 4S 3/3/21 10:57 PM
    Wonderbar
    35440 336
    Porsche Sticky Porsche Taycan Turbo S - Short Review 10/19/20 6:12 PM
    Leawood911
    33245 380
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/6/21 4:40 AM
    4trac
    16568 342
    Porsche Sticky Porsche extends the Taycan model range (Taycan 2WD) 2/1/21 12:42 PM
    Leawood911
    4470 29
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 GT3 (2017) 7/27/20 2:13 AM
    DJM48
    564299 5257
    Porsche Cayman GT4 5/4/21 4:46 PM
    Topspeed
    404465 3586
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 4/25/21 4:04 PM
    Topspeed
    357840 3916
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017) 4/29/21 7:24 AM
    GnilM
    354538 3494
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991.2 GT3 RS (2018) 4/28/21 12:26 PM
    W8MM
    315788 3252
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 12/8/20 7:51 PM
    DJM48
    310089 2646
    Porsche OFFICIAL: The new Porsche 992 – a design icon and high-tech sports car 2/28/21 8:05 PM
    Topspeed
    217561 1542
    Porsche Tesla Roadster 9/23/20 8:22 PM
    bluelines
    188924 4279
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Panamera (2016) 2/11/21 9:22 AM
    Itsme
    161201 1379
    Others Alfa Romeo 4C 9/23/20 10:22 AM
    RCA
    138267 792
    Porsche 992 GT3 5/7/21 4:00 AM