Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

In court this Wednesday

Follow-up to this thread:-

http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=284822&page=&fpart=1&vc=1

After three adjournments, I am due to appear in court on Wednesday to defend a charge of speeding at 110mph.

My defence has advised a not-guilty plea based on a few technicalities. Must say I'm now wondering whether this is the most sensible course of action to take.

There are some mitigating circumstances I could have used instead.

If I lose it's going to be a very expensive experience to say nothing of a longer ban.

Will let you know how I get on....

Re: In court this Wednesday

Sorry to hear about your situation.

I guess it's a given that the defence lawyer would make you plead "not guilty" but I am intrigued to know what the "technicalities" are?

(I presume there is evidence from the police that you were indeed travelling at 110mph?)

Are those technicalities likely to reduce the possible punishments?

Stupid question really but I presume the lawyer would get his fee regardeless of the outcome?

All the best! Good luck!!

Hope all goes well John
    Best of luck!

Freeking suuuucks.

I do 110+ "safely" (known, straight road, no traffic in sight) almost every time I drive the car. Makes me sick thinking you might get nailed to the wall for probably doing the same thing.

It's not a big deal when done "correctly." Equipment is designed for speed and stopping; cupholders are never used and all you're risking is hitting a deer or something else unlikely.

Definitely suuuuucks. I got my fingers crossed for you.

sucks to hear that John. Good luck to ya man!

Hope all goes well fella.

sorry about your situation, good luck...

It wasn't one of those automated speed cameras was it? I hope we never have those things here.
    For a while there was no speedlimit in Montana at all and fatal accidents dropped significantly (lane awareness - go figure!). Once the limits were re-imposed deaths went right back up. There is a technicallity for you - limits kill.

http://www.motorists.com/pressreleases/montana.html
    Drive right - and best of luck.
    (What are your insurance rates and how will this impact them?)

I agree with all other posts, and wish you good luck. I was done for 130mph on th M5 many years ago now in 911 and had to appear at Cullompton in Devon. I think I was very fortunate to get away with a 3 month ban. But as I said this was back in 89/90 so all the best!

Many thanks guys for your support and good wishes, it's really appreciated - believe me it helps reduce the 'loneliness' I'm feeling right now.

Regarding the questions - I don't think it would be prudent to disclose the technicalities etc. before the hearing, but will give full details after the event, whichever way it unfolds for me.

Thanks again for your posts.

Good luck in court John H. In these cars it's so easy to speed. You will do fine. I know people who have been caught driving under the influence of alchool. This is not nearly as bad.

John,

You might get some ideas or even more info from this site. Pepipoo

good luck in court!

John H, I can't imagine what you're going through right now. All I can say is I hope everything goes well for you.

Sorry to hear this - good luck.

I remember you mentioning this incident quite some month ago.. Hope all will end up well for you

John, you and your lawyers might want to take a look at this:

The 159 mph cop

Get a good judge and you might just walk away.

I wish you good luck. I just got done for 90 in a 70, clear road, no cars, laser van. Had to take it unfortunately.

Good luck with beating the stupid system.

John, thoughts are with you mate.

One day we might get some common sense driving laws in this country where the powers that be realize that 'speed' does not necessarily equal 'accident'. For example, why is 70mph safe and 71mph dangerous?! Total nonsense. Unfortunately it's all about making money and achieving 'public perception' of making the roads safer.

Conversely, I really like the Safe Speed site ( http://www.safespeed.org.uk ) it talks a lot of sense.

Hope you get some good luck on Wednesday, and please let us know how you get on.

Guys, I really can't believe this!!

Literally, half an hour ago, I received a phone call from Nick Freeman telling me that the CPS had contacted him to say they were discontinuing proceedings against me through lack of evidence!

When I picked myself up I asked, "How come?" The reply was that it quite often happens when they find out that HE is handling the defence.

He is now making application, on my behalf, for the re-imbursement of his fee (several thousand pounds) - there is a God!!

Still can't thank you guys enough for all the support you've shown.

If anyone wants more details please just ask and I'll either post or PM you.

I'll be celebrating tonight - but won't be taking the car..

FANTASTIC NEWS JOHN!!!!!!!!!

I'm really happy for you mate!

See, there is a guardian angel up there!

BTW, I thought Nick Freeman was in trouble for something? I remember you were worried he might not have been able to represent you. How did he get out of the woods?

Just relax now. It'll take a few days for the stress to evaporate and for the reality to sink in that you are in the clear.

Many congrats John!!

Good luck with getting your fees back; although that should be academic I would have thought now.

If I ever get busted I think I will know where to turn.... Mr. Freeman has a very apt last name given his record. Just shows you what standing up for yourself against the system can do if you have the right people in your corner.

Quote:
    John H said:
    Guys, I really can't believe this!!

Literally, half an hour ago, I received a phone call from Nick Freeman telling me that the CPS had contacted him to say they were discontinuing proceedings against me through lack of evidence!

The Speed-Gods must have been with you
    Enjoy your tonight

Good news.

Wheeew.

Sounds like Porsche has been successful in selling more cars to lawyers and judges. If so, that will be good news for us all.

Quote:
    John H said:
    Many thanks guys for your support and good wishes, it's really appreciated - believe me it helps reduce the 'loneliness' I'm feeling right now.

Regarding the questions - I don't think it would be prudent to disclose the technicalities etc. before the hearing, but will give full details after the event, whichever way it unfolds for me.

Thanks again for your posts.

John,

Congratulations!!!!!! Glad to hear that you got off the hook. Your attorney did his job.

Living in Virginia in the U.S., if I get caught doing over 100 mph I would auotmatically be put in jail for several days. So I'm really careful when I open it up, and I'll be spending some time at the local race track, where for a measly $225 I can speed without getting a ticket or having to pay a fortune for an attorney. Sadly, Virginia's speed enforcement is nothing more than an attempt to boost the state's revenue while padding the pockets of local attorneys.

Last year I let my brother drive my new 911S here in Virginia, and he was ticketed for doing 78 mph in a 55 mph zone, which resulted in a reckless driving charge. He is from out of state and just plead guilty so as not to have to return for the court case. If he paid $300-500 to an attorney, he probably could have gotten it reduced to 19 mph over the limit, leading to a reduced fine (he had to pay $200 or $250 for the reckless driving charge) and would not have been nailed on his auto insurance rates.

Once again, glad to hear that you got off easily.

Jim

P.S. Speaking of attorneys, maybe Rennteamers ought to compile a list of good attorneys (by state in the U.S. and by country) who can get charges and fines reduced. This would really be useful to everyone.

Quote:
    Jim48 said:

P.S. Speaking of attorneys, maybe Rennteamers ought to compile a list of good attorneys (by state in the U.S. and by country) who can get charges and fines reduced. This would really be useful to everyone.

Brilliant idea In the UK, Nick Freeman would top that list, no question about it

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    Quote:
    Jim48 said:

Brilliant idea In the UK, Nick Freeman would top that list, no question about it

I'd obviously 2nd, 3rd and 4th that.

Let's hope he get's off his own charge - he's currently bailed for allegedly "conspiring to pervert the course of justice"

He may be a victim of his own success but I'd bet good money they don't make this one stick.

His only 'crime' is he knows the law better than most and excels at exposing flaws in police procedure. As he says himself - if the procedures improve as a result of his activities then the whole country will benefit from a more efficient service.

Great new's , John ..

Dont get ""court"" again ..

Easy , mate..

Great news - but one note of caution, it was mentioned in the press some time ago that some police forces are targetting motorists that in their words "get off on a technicality". Spiteful ba$tards.

Brilliant result!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/3/24 7:04 PM
    watt
    603442 1768
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    384057 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    252604 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 2/22/24 5:12 PM
    GT-Boy
    214980 291
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    46406 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/4/24 9:03 AM
    Der-Schwabe
    2363 26
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

844317 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    734872 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM