Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Tesla Recalls More Than 75% Of Its Roadsters

Tesla Recalls More Than 75% Of Its Roadsters

musk scratching headTesla is recalling 345 of its Roadsters, made between March 2008 and April 22, 2009 due to an issue with the rear hub.

The recall affects a significant chunck of Tesla's Roadster sales, as this press releasefrom May 12 says the company has delivered over 400 Roadsters thus far.

"The rear hub flange bolts may be under-torqued and may become loose," says the notification. That leads to poor handlng, and a rubbing noise from the back of the car. If it's not addressed properly, then, "The driver could lose control of the car, which could lead to a crash."

This has nothing to do with Tesla's powertrain or intellectual property, it's an issue with the Lotus assembly line that builds the Roadster. Lotus is also recalling vehicles.

Tesla tells us it will be sending technicians to its customers homes to fix the problem, which just involves tightening the bolts on the car. It should take under two hours. (Call Tesla at 1-877-888-3752 if you've got a Roadster.)

For customers that live outside of California, Chicago, Seattle or New York, Tesla will fly a technician to your home, which looks like it will be the biggest cost for Tesla. Tesla also reminded us that millions of cars are recalled each year. Fair enough.

--

Re: Tesla Recalls More Than 75% Of Its Roadsters

Shocking!

The picture of the guy with the bucked teeth and confused expression is priceless.

That said, it's a damn shame Lotus' issue will reflect poorly on the Tesla brand. They should try to PR spin it as "Lotus' doing the recall which includes some Tesla units"

--

...the only thing stopping you in all likelihood, is you!

For me this is not a big deal. They found it, they will fix it - fine!

Point of information: my comment was a feeble attempt at a pun!

Lars997:

Agree!  At least they don't pretend the problem doesn't exist

Geoff

--

2001 Corolla LE - 0-60: Yes.

2009 Corvette Z06 - 0-60: Ooooh yes.

Heist:

That said, it's a damn shame Lotus' issue will reflect poorly on the Tesla brand. They should try to PR spin it as "Lotus' doing the recall which includes some Tesla units"

Sorry but that is a stupid comment. 

Problems arise in every manufacture and this is not a big deal to start with. Tesla is also benefiting from having their assembly line in the Lotus factory. 

--

I feel so embarassed. I just noticed now that the Telsa windscreen and side mirrors are the exact same used on Elise/Exige!

Lars997:

It's not a big deal for me, either.  Since the defect has been noticed in only about 1% of the cars delivered, mine is very likely not a problem.

When I talked to my Tesla rep by phone, he said that even if the possibly under-torqued hub fastener came all the way off, there is no loss of control while driving. 

The tell-tale symptom is a freeway-speed tendency toward too much steering input required to maintain lane discipline.  In severe cases, a grinding/scraping noise may be noticed coming from the rear wheel area. I speculate that it might feel a little like steering back-lash if it happens.

In any case, I was encouraged to continue to drive and enjoy the car unless I noticed one of the above symptoms.

They hope to have every car in the recalled s VIN series completed in the "next 120 days".

While the technician is on site for the recall procedures, I am to receive a vehicle firmware update and a courtesy inspection to possibly adjust some unspecified things as might be found (Sirius antenna placement?).

--

Mike

2005 Carrera GT - Signal Yellow

2008 Tesla Roadster - Thunder Gray

1972 BMW 3.0 CSi - Nachtblau

Gauss:
    Heist:

Problems arise in every manufacture and this is not a big deal to start with. Tesla is also benefiting from having their assembly line in the Lotus factory. 

Guass -

Please explain how you find my comment stupid? Tesla's brand has been plagued with some negative press here in the US related to financial viability, cash burn, management ineptness, management ego clashes, late product deliveries due to manufacturing and component issues, and technical issues. 

I'd almost want to say 1/3 of the time they've been in the news over the last 2 years it's been for their internal problems and the car related issues. And with a new brand and product, you want to keep the negative press to a minimum or spin it as best as possible. 

Oh, and Tesla's assembly line iwas here in the states. I thought they only got the rolling chassis from Lotus. Will have to look into that more b/c I specifically remember them building a $250MM factory in Cali.

--

I would like to know where they were built, because i read they are looking for $400 million from the energy dept. to build here for model s production and that body is a lotus on the sportscar.

imo the word stupid is a term for other car boards, un-informed is much better WHEN NEEDED 

Heist:
    Gauss:
    Heist:

Guass -

Please explain how you find my comment stupid? Tesla's brand has been plagued with some negative press here in the US related to financial viability, cash burn, management ineptness, management ego clashes, late product deliveries due to manufacturing and component issues, and technical issues. 

I'd almost want to say 1/3 of the time they've been in the news over the last 2 years it's been for their internal problems and the car related issues. And with a new brand and product, you want to keep the negative press to a minimum or spin it as best as possible. 

Oh, and Tesla's assembly line iwas here in the states. I thought they only got the rolling chassis from Lotus. Will have to look into that more b/c I specifically remember them building a $250MM factory in Cali.

The simple fact is that, if Tesla is the party "officially" responsible for the car in the eyes of the authorities concerned, then Tesla has the responsibility of writing the obligatory recall letters to the known owners of cars.

A recall campaign should be a serious, sober matter, and trying to turn it into a PR exercise by spinning the blame onto a supplier is very likely to turn into a boomerang.  If I were a Tesla owner, I would not be too impressed if Tesla were to try to tell me that the foul-up was not their fault, but was caused by  a supplier. After all, Tesla itself does choose its suppliers.

Buck-passing would not reduce the negative press, it would just add to it. Industry journalists would have a field day, in their turn "spinning" a series of articles out of an apparent conflict between Tesla and Lotus. That would hardly help Tesla's situation.

As others have said,  this particular recall really is no big deal anyway. There is a quick, easy solution for the problem, so the situation is easily containable. Taking a constructive, as opposed to destructive, approach to the whole business is the best way to keep the customers satisfied.

--

fritz

Heist:
    Gauss:
    Heist:

Guass -

I see your point.

Like Fritz said, Tesla is responsible for choosing its suppliers, and if they have an agreement with Lotus and Lotus screws up, then I don't think it's very correct to blame Lotus solely for the bad news. 

I appologize if I chose the wrong word to express my disapproval. No harm intended, Heist!   Smiley

back on topic: My new car is affected as well. It really is nothing big. I have an appointement next week, where a couple of bolts are getting torqued to the right strength. 

--

Gauss:
    Heist:
    Gauss:
    Heist:

Guass -

I see your point.

Like Fritz said, Tesla is responsible for choosing its suppliers, and if they have an agreement with Lotus and Lotus screws up, then I don't think it's very correct to blame Lotus solely for the bad news. 

I appologize if I chose the wrong word to express my disapproval. No harm intended, Heist!   Smiley

back on topic: My new car is affected as well. It really is nothing big. I have an appointement next week, where a couple of bolts are getting torqued to the right strength. 

--

No harm or offense taken. Smiley

I was just trying to understand your position on the subject.

--

Lars997:

+1

--
    09 Ferrari 430 Scuderia

The Tesla service rep made a "house call" to perform the recall and fix some other minor issues on our Roadster last Friday.  He was very professional and I couldn't be happier with the service.

He flew in Friday afternoon and worked in my garage to check the rear hub bolt torque.  Both sides were fine and didn't really need "fixing".  While he had the wheels off, he changed the mounting points for the rear brake pad-wear sensors (or some such).  This relocation required drilling holes in a suspension member and putting in a new plastic part.  I was really impressed that he put paper towels on the garage floor to catch most of the metal chips that fell while the hole was being drilled and then used a foot-long piece of duct tape like a lint roller to pick up any stray chips on the floor.

Tesla had sent him the wrong parts to fix a key fob that was draining its internal batteries every two weeks while just sitting still.  On Saturday morning, he went to the FedEx depot to wait for the key parts to arrive and then returned to my house to finish the job.

Last Sunday we were showing the Roadster at the Ault Park Concours d'Elegance and some guy approached my wife and asked her in a snarky tone, "So, .. I bet that car is hard to get serviced.  Where do you have to take it to get it fixed?"  She said, "They make house calls.  They came to my house two days ago to service it!"  That let the steam out of his condescending bluster and he stalked off.

P.S. The Tesla took 1st place in the "future classics" class.

--

Mike

2005 Carrera GT - Signal Yellow

2008 Tesla Roadster - Thunder Gray

1972 BMW 3.0 CSi - Nachtblau

+1 on Tesla service.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 2/23/24 11:21 AM
    RCA
    581354 1761
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    377769 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    251904 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 2/22/24 5:12 PM
    GT-Boy
    210227 291
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    41488 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 2/19/24 9:07 AM
    RCA
    2263 25
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

840821 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    725339 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM