Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread


    My new Cayman Cabrio

    Ok... here's the deal: I really like the Cayman, but I couldn't live with a coupe. So I decided to cut off the roof of my Cayman S and install a Boxster softtop instead. After 3 months of hard work and a 30,000 Dollar investment into bodywork, here's what I got now:



    Re: My new Cayman Cabrio

    2)

    Re: My new Cayman Cabrio

    3)

    Re: My new Cayman Cabrio

    4)

    Re: My new Cayman Cabrio

    5)

    Re: My new Cayman Cabrio

    haha, you really did it!

    i'd rather glue a boxster nose onto a cayman... but each to his own!


    cu soon hopefully

    Re: My new Cayman Cabrio

    Congrats on the completion of your Boxman - nice work

    I already foresee endless threads inverting the old threads "Is the Cayman just a Boxster with a roof ?" into "Is the Boxster just a Cayman without a roof ?"
    Might get even worse if speculation about Boxster S getting the Cayman S engine becomes true

    @ Martin J.S.: you're not planning some engine mods, don't you ?

    Either you will earn a special reward from PAG for unifying Boxster and Cayman lovers again or to the contrary you're in big trouble now

    Re: My new Cayman Cabrio

    Oh God...if the guys on the 997 board see this -- it's gonna cause a ruckus

    Re: My new Cayman Cabrio

    Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:
    Oh God...if the guys on the 997 board see this -- it's gonna cause a ruckus




    Re: My new Cayman Cabrio

    Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:
    Oh God...if the guys on the 997 board see this -- it's gonna cause a ruckus



    I won't tell them about it if you won't.

    Re: My new Cayman Cabrio

    Quote:
    Porsche-Jeck said:
    Congrats on the completion of your Boxman - nice work

    I already foresee endless threads inverting the old threads "Is the Cayman just a Boxster with a roof ?" into "Is the Boxster just a Cayman without a roof ?"
    Might get even worse if speculation about Boxster S getting the Cayman S engine becomes true

    @ Martin J.S.: you're not planning some engine mods, don't you ?

    Either you will earn a special reward from PAG for unifying Boxster and Cayman lovers again or to the contrary you're in big trouble now

    Hehe... nice comment. And no... I don't plan to do any engines mods. If I want to ride fast than I'd rather pick my 996 Turbo.

    The original reason why I got my 987 was the fact that having a 996 TT Coupe and a 987 is still cheaper than trading my 2002 996 TT Coupe for a 996 TT Cabrio. Plus you have two cars instead of one car which tries to fullfil all needs. I love to drive with the top down, but I'm not going at incredible high speeds when riding open. Thus this solution made perfectly sense... errr... to me at least.

    Re: My new Cayman Cabrio

    Looks good congrats!!

    Enjoy it in good health

    Re: My new Cayman Cabrio

    Quote:
    Porsche-Jeck said:

    I already foresee endless threads inverting the old threads "Is the Cayman just a Boxster with a roof ?" into "Is the Boxster just a Cayman without a roof ?"




    So what is a Boxster with the hardtop fitted? A Cayman Notchback? Would that make it a Notchster? Or a Cayback?

    Re: My new Cayman Cabrio

    Quote:
    Martin J.S. said:
    Thus this solution made perfectly sense... errr... to me at least.



    Carrera TT + Boxster S = perfect stablemates for the real Porsche-Enthusiast

    Re: My new Cayman Cabrio

    Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    Quote:
    Porsche-Jeck said:

    I already foresee endless threads inverting the old threads "Is the Cayman just a Boxster with a roof ?" into "Is the Boxster just a Cayman without a roof ?"




    So what is a Boxster with the hardtop fitted? A Cayman Notchback? Would that make it a Notchster? Or a Cayback?

    Well... you could actually install THIS to complete the look.

    Re: My new Cayman Cabrio

    What about adding the Cayman S wheels

    Re: My new Cayman Cabrio

    hahaha... the side looks more like a boxster than cayman XD

    Re: My new Cayman Cabrio

    Quote:
    Martin J.S. said:
    Well... you could actually install THIS to complete the look.



    You've just saved Pounds5,500 (UK) (less the price of the roof, of course AND the benefit of open top driving when you want it!!!

    Re: My new Cayman Cabrio

    Maybe Clarkson was right - it is a Coxster !

    I have to say i had my doubts, but in a dark colour i actually think it looks great - very brave of you.

    Re: My new Cayman Cabrio

    Looks great, especially in black. Nice to see that you don't have the platinum lip trim that comes on the Cayman.

    Re: My new Cayman Cabrio

    Good job, well done

    Do you think it would sell ?


    Re: My new Cayman Cabrio

    It looks very good. Congrats on your new 'Cayman Cabrio.' It looks like all that money and hard work was worth it.

    Re: My new Cayman Cabrio

    Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:
    Oh God...if the guys on the 997 board see this -- it's gonna cause a ruckus



    I won't tell them about it if you won't.



    I think Bossnine is going to have a heart attack, and Nick is going to just looooove this..

    Re: My new Cayman Cabrio

    Looks great so far. Couple things though. Can you take more pics when the lighting is better. It's hard to see the details and also if you could take a picture from the side...that would be great.

    Re: My new Cayman Cabrio

    Quote:
    turbokuo said:
    Looks great so far. Couple things though. Can you take more pics when the lighting is better. It's hard to see the details and also if you could take a picture from the side...that would be great.



    I will... but the weather sucks in Germany ATM. Actually the main reason why I took some top-down pics was your request. Anyway... ASA the weather clears up a little, I will take more "high quality" pics (incl. sideview pics) with a digicam (instead of my SONY mobile phone). But believe me... (at least with solid black) the Cayman bumper look absolutely stunning on a Boxster. It actually looks kinda Ferrariesque (zzboba, forgive me... ).

    Re: My new Cayman Cabrio

    Quote:
    Martin J.S. said:
    Quote:
    turbokuo said:
    Looks great so far. Couple things though. Can you take more pics when the lighting is better. It's hard to see the details and also if you could take a picture from the side...that would be great.



    I will... but the weather sucks in Germany ATM. Actually the main reason why I took some top-down pics was your request. Anyway... ASA the weather clears up a little, I will take more "high quality" pics (incl. sideview pics) with a digicam (instead of my SONY mobile phone). But believe me... (at least with solid black) the Cayman bumper look absolutely stunning on a Boxster. It actually looks kinda Ferrariesque (zzboba, forgive me... ).



    Ya, I was all eager beaver...now I'm drooling and want more!!!

    Re: My new Cayman Cabrio

    Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:
    Oh God...if the guys on the 997 board see this -- it's gonna cause a ruckus



    I didn't see anything...honestly.

    Re: My new Cayman Cabrio

    Quote:
    BSL said:
    Looks great, especially in black. Nice to see that you don't have the platinum lip trim that comes on the Cayman.



    That silver lip looks good on a silver car... but on a black car, the silver lip looks like it's got too much ground clearance. That's why I went with solid black flaps.

    Quote:
    nachi said:
    hahaha... the side looks more like a boxster than cayman XD



    Damn... you got me on that.

    Quote:
    DamienL said:
    It looks very good. Congrats on your new 'Cayman Cabrio.' It looks like all that money and hard work was worth it.



    You bet it was...


    Quote:
    boothy said:
    Do you think it would sell ?



    Well... to me it definitely WOULD. Anyway... I don't buy cars with the thought of residual value on my mind. I want a car that pleases ME!. But... since you asked... I've got a history in modifying cars (ask ZZBOBA if you wanna know what that means... ). And I always sold them kinda good since I stick to original parts... and the idea the manufacturer once had. I'm not a big fan of after-market-parts and such.

    Re: My new Cayman Cabrio

    Just thought I'd add my comment to the list... Looks great! Thanks for being brave enough to do it, and sharing the pics with us.

    Re: My new Cayman Cabrio

    So Martin are you going to change the side intakes on your cayman cabrio?

     
    Edit

    Forum

    Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky The moment I've been waiting for... 5/18/22 6:36 PM
    Pilot
     
     
     
     
     
    628420 1306
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 8/6/22 1:00 AM
    W8MM
    264049 1183
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 10/2/22 12:14 AM
    watt
    158931 1176
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 9/30/22 10:36 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    149800 418
    Porsche Sticky Porsche Taycan Turbo S - Short Review 10/4/22 9:54 PM
    Carlos from SpainM
    132320 572
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 1/15/22 10:41 PM
    watt
    67399 1
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 10/3/22 2:01 PM
    Grant
    2941 20
    Porsche Cayman GT4 10/5/21 7:04 PM
    Topspeed
    563067 3587
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 2/1/22 10:14 PM
    SSO.
    465724 3954
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991.2 GT3 RS (2018) 11/17/21 5:18 PM
    Rossi
    429615 3256
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 2/1/22 9:49 AM
    RCA
    421165 2655
    Porsche 992 GT3 10/2/22 8:38 AM
    GnilM
    410701 3717
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 7/30/22 11:46 AM
    Wonderbar
    176696 1446
    Porsche Donor vehicle for Singer Vehicle Design 9/30/22 6:31 PM
    Grant
    176534 774
    AMG AMG GT R 3/13/22 8:52 PM
    spudgun
    149514 834
    Lambo Aventador and SV 5/20/22 5:24 PM
    Topspeed
    145208 710
    Others Tesla 2 the new thread 9/20/22 3:52 PM
    Leawood911
    139356 1837
    Porsche GT4RS 10/4/22 10:59 PM
    M3ike
    133587 1127
    Motor Sp. [2021] Formula 1 4/19/22 10:08 PM
    Leawood911
    113024 1590
    Others Bugatti Chiron 8/30/22 4:31 PM
    Josef
    108652 525
    Ferrari Ferrari 812 Superfast 6/12/22 5:09 PM
    watt
    106133 535
    BMW M BMW M2 Rumors 2/28/22 7:42 PM
    Topspeed
    94638 409
    Porsche Red Nipples 991.2 GT3 Touring on tour 9/25/22 5:17 PM
    blueflame
    89601 498
    Lambo Urus (SUV) 6/7/22 1:20 PM
    Topspeed
    88990 593
    Porsche Dave and Gnil @ Nürburgring Nordschleife 7/4/22 10:42 PM
    DaveGordon
    87432 722
    Others Corvette C8 7/18/22 12:40 PM
    WhoopsyM
    85477 443
    Motor Sp. [2022] Formula 1 10/4/22 7:14 PM
    thuggy
    70914 1377
    Lambo Huracán EVO STO 7/21/22 8:37 AM
    RCA
    58090 335
    Others Toyota Yaris GR 4/13/22 8:33 PM
    Grant
    58063 640
    Ferrari Wandered to the dark side 8/29/22 9:35 AM
    BiTurbo
    28916 418
    188 items found, displaying 1 to 30.