Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread


    Soaking in the rain?

    Do you think it can cause damage to the engine if parking the car outside on a rainy day? It seems that water may be able to run into the engine through the air vents on the rear wing.

    Re: Soaking in the rain?

    How different is it when the car is on the road but in traffic?

    How about people that don't have a garage?

    You really think any auto maker would sell a car that could be damaged by rain?

    Re: Soaking in the rain?

    SciFrog, I totally agee with you. However, I've been told that while the car is running the engine heat will evaporate the moisture. If the car is left outside for the entire night in heavy rain, the water that run into the engine through the vents may cause damage to the engine belts, etc.

    Re: Soaking in the rain?

    Are you joking or just kidding?

    Re: Soaking in the rain?

    This is what I've heard. I just want to get some opinions from the enthusiasts here.

    I keep mine in when it's windy

    I worry about dust particles landing on my car and some passing insect causing micro-scratches.

    I think you're being very wise not leaving your car out in the rain. Imagine if it should shrink? Heavens!

    Re: Rain Rain Go Away

    Come back another day.....

    There was a period where I obsessed over bird droppings and had a damp rag in a tiplock....

    Re: Rain Rain Go Away

    I don't think rain will be much of a problem since dealer always leave their car out

    Re: Rain Rain Go Away

    My initial reaction is to shrug off this question too- however it was coincidental that the first time I left my car un-garaged there was a rainstorm, and I had to leave it out overnight. The next morning my PCM was going haywire, then just stopped working. Had to get the whole thing replaced. I still don't think the downpour was the culprit, but I can't say that it didn't cross my mind..

    Re: Soaking in the rain?

    Remember that these cars go through extensive cold soak, water tests and the heat of Africa before they EVER get to anyone. Porsche routinely parks these things outside once they are finished being built and are there until they ship. There is nothing on an engine that can suffer being out in the weather. Why don't you ask if a GM car with that big grill in front can tolerate rain coming in, driving in by driving. This is a non-issue.

    dan

    Re: Soaking in the rain?

    Oh [censored]! Now I'm worried about the flies.


    I do keep kitchen roll and spray cleaner behind the seat for bird droppings though.

    Q: What do you do if a bird craps on your car?
    A: Don't ask her out again!


    Re: Soaking in the rain?

    what about Neutrinos? I heard those particles pass all the way through the car even when its in the garage. Does anyone know if anyone makes a lead impregnated car cover?

    Re: Soaking in the rain?

    I park mine inside a Faraday Cage so no one is able to communicate with the electronics without me being there. I've never had a problem with my PCM so it must be working.

    Also, last week I put the water hose down in the engine compartment just to see what would happen... didn't turn it on though. Nothing happened.

    Re: Soaking in the rain?

    Haha a Faraday cage...

    Re: Soaking in the rain?

    Flap,

    Thanks for the best laugh I've had in a while.

    I believe the new Meteor Gray paint is neutrino proof.

    Re: Soaking in the rain?

    If you fill the vents with broken biscuits, I find they soak up the water before it can do any damage.

    The down-side is they also attract a lot of birds.

    Two words John - "Jaffa Cakes"

    These are the best biscuits you can buy for keeping rain at bay in your 997, particularly on a summer's day at Margate.

    You radiator vents and engine cover should be completely water tight, should you have the misfortune of going to Margate and in the very unlikely circumstances that it rains.

    You car will be sweet and appealingly perfumed, and if you're a lucky man will attract the birds when the sun comes out.

    Every one should carry a box of Jaffa Cakes in their 997 just in case.

    New Partnership Announced between Porsche & Obermeyer

    PRESS RELEASE 28/2/06
    Obermeyer has been exclusively contracted to develop the new Porsche umbrella that will protect your car in the event of the slightest hint of rain.

    The new umbrella is linked by Blue Tooth technology to the in car rain sensor mounted on the front windshield (option P12 in some countries). When the sensor detects rain the rear spoiler is automatically raised to reveal the umbrella which opens in 15 milliseconds, using airbag pirotechnic technology perfected by Porsche, to completely cover your car and protect it from rain.

    The umbrella is durable and capable of being reused countless times over the course of the vehicle's life. Replacable pirotechnic charges can be supplied by you official Porache center at the price of $300 per charge or $2000 for a pack of 5. At the same time your Porsche Center can repack your umbrella for you (labor rates dependant on local market agreements).

    The new umbrella can be factory fitted (Option 2KrayZ) or ordered through your Porsche Center for afterrmarket fitting.

    Obermeyer are also in the process of developing two other new products - the automatic sun parasol linked to the self dimming mirror sensors, and the new snow cap which will protect your car from snow using a combination of rain sensors and temperature sensors. Porsche and exclusive partner Obermeyer will be announcing prices for these innovations in due course.

    Re: Two words John - "Jaffa Cakes"

    Quote:
    Le Chef said:
    These are the best biscuits you can buy for keeping rain at bay in your 997, particularly on a summer's day at Margate.

    You radiator vents and engine cover should be completely water tight, should you have the misfortune of going to Margate and in the very unlikely circumstances that it rains.

    You car will be sweet and appealingly perfumed, and if you're a lucky man will attract the birds when the sun comes out.

    Every one should carry a box of Jaffa Cakes in their 997 just in case.



    Le Chef - You're quite right, Jaffa Cakes are also easier to 'jam' into the vents.

    It's a well-known fact that birds in Margate prefer custard creams, particularly if made with 'Bird's Custard'

    I think we're just 'plain crackers'

    Re: Two words John - "Jaffa Cakes"

    Guys I'm shocked
    Before ordering my car I lurked into all the enlightening Rennteam-threads about sunvisors in leather, deviating stitching and other must have options only to find out now -after my order has been locked - that I'll miss the most innovative options such as Neutrino protection, Faraday cage (well, might work as an aftermarket installation), broken biscuits (yummie) and automatically deploying umbrellas

    Why didn't the Porsche salesguy tell me (I'm living in one of the most rainy regions of Germany) ?

    Why did the so-called Rennteam-Pros (shame on you ) hold back this info until today instead of creating a sticky thread covering the issue

    I see only one solution after missing those must have options - I'll take my P and move to sunny California

    Re: New Partnership Announced between Porsche & Obermeyer

    Quote:
    Le Chef said:
    PRESS RELEASE 28/2/06
    Obermeyer has been exclusively contracted to develop the new Porsche umbrella that will protect your car in the event of the slightest hint of rain.

    The new umbrella is linked by Blue Tooth technology to the in car rain sensor mounted on the front windshield (option P12 in some countries). When the sensor detects rain the rear spoiler is automatically raised to reveal the umbrella which opens in 15 milliseconds, using airbag pirotechnic technology perfected by Porsche, to completely cover your car and protect it from rain.

    The umbrella is durable and capable of being reused countless times over the course of the vehicle's life. Replacable pirotechnic charges can be supplied by you official Porache center at the price of $300 per charge or $2000 for a pack of 5. At the same time your Porsche Center can repack your umbrella for you (labor rates dependant on local market agreements).

    The new umbrella can be factory fitted (Option 2KrayZ) or ordered through your Porsche Center for afterrmarket fitting.

    Obermeyer are also in the process of developing two other new products - the automatic sun parasol linked to the self dimming mirror sensors, and the new snow cap which will protect your car from snow using a combination of rain sensors and temperature sensors. Porsche and exclusive partner Obermeyer will be announcing prices for these innovations in due course.



    Please order me an umbrella together with some replacement pirotechnic charges. I think I'll have the 5 pack for $2,000 as $300 each sounds a bit expensive!!

    I'll leave the snow cap for now as I've just purchased a new trilby which seems to do the job just fine. However my wife may be interested in the snow cap to replace her dutch cap. She told me last week she wanted a deep-freeze for her birthday!

    Re: Soaking in the rain?

    Are you guys DRIVING your Porks??? I ordered mine without engine to be sure not to get it out in the wet!

    Re: Soaking in the rain?

    Quote:
    Apex2 said:
    Are you guys DRIVING your Porks??? I ordered mine without engine to be sure not to get it out in the wet!



    If you ever need an engine, I've got a spare one in my boot.

    Re: Two words John - "Jaffa Cakes"

    According to Peter Kane, the Hob Nob is the mother of all biscuits, survivng multiple dunks in scolding hot tea. Rich Tea on the other hand wilt and fall off in the steam!

    Re: Two words John - "Jaffa Cakes"

    Quote:
    ResB said:
    According to Peter Kane, the Hob Nob is the mother of all biscuits, survivng multiple dunks in scolding hot tea. Rich Tea on the other hand wilt and fall off in the steam!



    That's why they are called Rich Tea!

    The tea's pretty rich with all that biscuit in it. Obvious, isn't it?

    Re: New Partnership Announced between Porsche & Obermeyer

    Quote:
    John H said:
    However my wife may be interested in the snow cap to replace her dutch cap. She told me last week she wanted a deep-freeze for her birthday!



    Do you mean to tell us that there are millions of women around the world taking the pill unnecessarily, as they already own deep-freezes anyway!

    Your wife needs "Rejex" maybe?

    Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    John H said:
    However my wife may be interested in the snow cap to replace her dutch cap. She told me last week she wanted a deep-freeze for her birthday!



    Do you mean to tell us that there are millions of women around the world taking the pill unnecessarily, as they already own deep-freezes anyway!



    This is a staggering thread from rain protection to birth control protection with a bit of radiation protection thrown in for good measure. Whatever next???

    Re: Your wife needs "Rejex" maybe?

    Quote:
    Le Chef said:
    Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    John H said:
    However my wife may be interested in the snow cap to replace her dutch cap. She told me last week she wanted a deep-freeze for her birthday!



    Do you mean to tell us that there are millions of women around the world taking the pill unnecessarily, as they already own deep-freezes anyway!



    This is a staggering thread from rain protection to birth control protection with a bit of radiation protection thrown in for good measure. Whatever next???



    Well, nobody can say we didn't take the original question seriously.

    Re: Two words John - "Jaffa Cakes"

    Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    ResB said:
    According to Peter Kane, the Hob Nob is the mother of all biscuits, survivng multiple dunks in scolding hot tea. Rich Tea on the other hand wilt and fall off in the steam!



    That's why they are called Rich Tea!

    The tea's pretty rich with all that biscuit in it. Obvious, isn't it?



    Oops, I meant Peter Kaye! Doh. Fritz, I'm not sure whether you get the joke or not?

    Re: Two words John - "Jaffa Cakes"

    Quote:
    ResB said:
    Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    ResB said:
    According to Peter Kane, the Hob Nob is the mother of all biscuits, survivng multiple dunks in scolding hot tea. Rich Tea on the other hand wilt and fall off in the steam!



    That's why they are called Rich Tea!

    The tea's pretty rich with all that biscuit in it. Obvious, isn't it?



    Oops, I meant Peter Kaye! Doh. Fritz, I'm not sure whether you get the joke or not?



    Nah, how could I.

    I don't drink Newcastle Brown, and I've never been to Amarillo.

    Brunner, please note: Another place I have NOT been to.

     
    Edit

    Forum

    Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky The moment I've been waiting for... 5/18/22 6:36 PM
    Pilot
     
     
     
     
     
    627993 1306
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 8/6/22 1:00 AM
    W8MM
    263911 1183
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 9/26/22 3:36 PM
    tommd
    158104 1166
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 9/14/22 9:50 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    149624 417
    Porsche Sticky Porsche Taycan Turbo S - Short Review 8/10/22 8:51 PM
    WhoopsyM
    131221 538
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 1/15/22 10:41 PM
    watt
    67305 1
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 9/14/22 7:36 AM
    GnilM
    2571 18
    Porsche Cayman GT4 10/5/21 7:04 PM
    Topspeed
    562527 3587
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017) 9/28/21 3:25 AM
    WhoopsyM
    468249 3507
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 2/1/22 10:14 PM
    SSO.
    465510 3954
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991.2 GT3 RS (2018) 11/17/21 5:18 PM
    Rossi
    429412 3256
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 2/1/22 9:49 AM
    RCA
    420410 2655
    Porsche 992 GT3 9/26/22 10:16 PM
    Grant
    409682 3713
    Porsche OFFICIAL: The new Porsche 992 – a design icon and high-tech sports car 9/29/21 1:59 AM
    watt
    328544 1587
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 7/30/22 11:46 AM
    Wonderbar
    176446 1446
    Porsche Donor vehicle for Singer Vehicle Design 2/10/22 9:08 PM
    Topspeed
    176259 772
    AMG AMG GT R 3/13/22 8:52 PM
    spudgun
    149244 834
    Lambo Aventador and SV 5/20/22 5:24 PM
    Topspeed
    144999 710
    Others Tesla 2 the new thread 9/20/22 3:52 PM
    Leawood911
    139105 1837
    Porsche GT4RS 9/26/22 2:03 PM
    Porker
    132716 1114
    Motor Sp. [2021] Formula 1 4/19/22 10:08 PM
    Leawood911
    112879 1590
    Others Bugatti Chiron 8/30/22 4:31 PM
    Josef
    108569 525
    Ferrari Ferrari 812 Superfast 6/12/22 5:09 PM
    watt
    106042 535
    BMW M BMW M2 Rumors 2/28/22 7:42 PM
    Topspeed
    94491 409
    Porsche Red Nipples 991.2 GT3 Touring on tour 9/25/22 5:17 PM
    blueflame
    89504 498
    Lambo Urus (SUV) 6/7/22 1:20 PM
    Topspeed
    88920 593
    Porsche Dave and Gnil @ Nürburgring Nordschleife 7/4/22 10:42 PM
    DaveGordon
    87396 722
    Others Corvette C8 7/18/22 12:40 PM
    WhoopsyM
    85439 443
    Motor Sp. [2022] Formula 1 9/25/22 11:15 AM
    Shaich
    70117 1362
    Lambo Huracán EVO STO 7/21/22 8:37 AM
    RCA
    58010 335
    194 items found, displaying 1 to 30.