Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread


    Re: cl 63 amg

    There will be new V12 engine from MB in two years time.
    Two versions, normal and AMG. NA engine, same technologie as 63AMG!

    Re: cl 63 amg

    Kreso, that's great news. A N/A S 600 would be my perfect daily driver.
    I love how much info one can get on this board

    Re: cl 63 amg

    Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    There will be new V12 engine from MB in two years time.
    Two versions, normal and AMG. NA engine, same technologie as 63AMG!



    That worries me. The new 63 is slower than the 55, so they better make damn sure they know what they're doing .

    Re: cl 63 amg

    It may be slower but, 63 is definitely better engine then 55Kompressor! My friend had two kompressor failures on his SL55AMG(Mk1)! I had a chance to try E63 and IMO it is far better car then previous E55... Throttle respone is its class for such a big engine. Power delivery is more linear but, forcefull from low revs also. Best Mercedes engine of all times IMO...

    Re: cl 63 amg

    Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    I had a chance to try E63 and IMO it is far better car then previous E55... Throttle respone is its class for such a big engine. Power delivery is more linear but, forcefull from low revs also. Best Mercedes engine of all times IMO...

    Well, that's exactly what a lot of people say about the 55 Kompressor engine.

    Re: cl 63 amg

    The 55 Kompressor engines get a huge amount of torque at lower rpms and the 63 spreads the torque across a wider band and this makes the 63 cars faster. At least that is how it was explained to me at the AMG Challenge last week. I had a chance to drive the CLK55 and the CLK63 back to back and I really liked the CLK63 a lot. Driving the CL55 after driving the CLK63 gave me a real good taste of how different these two cars are. The CL55 was a nice sliding boat compared to the CLK63.

    Re: cl 63 amg

    Quote:
    Mussl Kar said:
    [...]and this makes the 63 cars faster.



    Well... please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the 55 Kompressor engine (especially with its latest overhaul) faster than the naturally aspirated 63 engine?

    This is really not meant as a provocation, so maybe I don't know better, but AFAIK, the 55 Kompressor engine was faster than all 63 engines in direct comparism (i.e. same car models).

    IMO that's exactly the reason why they didn't put the 63 engine into the R230 SL.

    Re: cl 63 amg

    Quote:
    Martin J.S. said:
    Quote:
    Mussl Kar said:
    [...]and this makes the 63 cars faster.



    Well... please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the 55 Kompressor engine (especially with its latest overhaul) faster than the naturally aspirated 63 engine?

    This is really not meant as a provocation, so maybe I don't know better, but AFAIK, the 55 Kompressor engine was faster than all 63 engines in direct comparism (i.e. same car models).

    IMO that's exactly the reason why they didn't put the 63 engine into the R230 SL.



    Not clear 55 is definitely quicker in all relevant straight-line accel/handling conds vs 63....

    As a tq addict, was also worried re: 63's tq curve vs 55 ...but my sense is we don't know exactly how 63 motor will be tuned for SL/CL/S-Classes; need to factor in shift-speeds/gearing of 7-speed vs 5-speed; also consider that 63 motor is 200lb+ lighter than 65/55 motors, making for slightly better handling/steering feel....

    As I understand it, guys in Germany would prob want 65 over any mere 55/63 for 100-180MPH+ accel....and guys ex-Germany will prob favor NA characteristics/latest-tech tranny/lighter motor of 63 vs 55....we shall see....

    Also, why would MB spend valuable R&D money developing a lower-performance 63 motor (and 7-speed tranny interface)....and put it in their new, latest-tech $150K flagship car, CL63 (being pre-promoted by MB as more of a driver's car than ever before )..... if they could simply keep building the old 55K motor and old 5-speed tranny????

    Re: cl 63 amg

    Quote:
    VKSF said:
    Quote:
    Martin J.S. said:
    Quote:
    Mussl Kar said:
    [...]and this makes the 63 cars faster.



    Well... please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the 55 Kompressor engine (especially with its latest overhaul) faster than the naturally aspirated 63 engine?

    This is really not meant as a provocation, so maybe I don't know better, but AFAIK, the 55 Kompressor engine was faster than all 63 engines in direct comparism (i.e. same car models).

    IMO that's exactly the reason why they didn't put the 63 engine into the R230 SL.



    Not clear 55 is definitely quicker in all relevant straight-line accel/handling conds vs 63....

    As a tq addict, was also worried re: 63's tq curve vs 55 ...but my sense is we don't know exactly how 63 motor will be tuned for SL/CL/S-Classes; need to factor in shift-speeds/gearing of 7-speed vs 5-speed; also consider that 63 motor is 200lb+ lighter than 65/55 motors, making for slightly better handling/steering feel....

    As I understand it, guys in Germany would prob want 65 over any mere 55/63 for 100-180MPH+ accel....and guys ex-Germany will prob favor NA characteristics/latest-tech tranny/lighter motor of 63 vs 55....we shall see....

    Also, why would MB spend valuable R&D money developing a lower-performance 63 motor (and 7-speed tranny interface)....and put it in their new, latest-tech $150K flagship car, CL63 (being pre-promoted by MB as more of a driver's car than ever before )..... if they could simply keep building the old 55K motor and old 5-speed tranny????



    I hope that Mercedes is doing some re-engineering before they fit the 63AMG engine to S/CL/SL. Recent magazine tests of the E63 produced rather unfortunate performance figures (like 15.5s for 0-200kph etc.)...

    Re: cl 63 amg

    Markus,
    I hope that you are not serious about that... All SL55 and E55 Kompressor press cars were little bit more powerfull then normal ones! I had a chance to drive one E55(press car with Stuttgart plates) and this one was much faster then my friends E55(bought in Croatia's Mercedes importer). Difference was around 2s from 100km/h till 220km/h!
    It is not that easy to "power up" NA engine like the one in E63! Normal acceleration for "not power up" SL/E55 is around 16s-16.5s as is measured by Sport Auto in recent SL55(mk2 517hp!) test. 0-200km/h in 15.6s, not 14s or lower as on some "special" SLs...

    Re: cl 63 amg

    Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    Markus,
    I hope that you are not serious about that... All SL55 and E55 Kompressor press cars were little bit more powerfull then normal ones! I had a chance to drive one E55(press car with Stuttgart plates) and this one was much faster then my friends E55(bought in Croatia's Mercedes importer). Difference was around 2s from 100km/h till 220km/h!
    It is not that easy to "power up" NA engine like the one in E63! Normal acceleration for "not power up" SL/E55 is around 16s-16.5s as is measured by Sport Auto in recent SL55(mk2 517hp!) test. 0-200km/h in 15.6s, not 14s or lower as on some "special" SLs...



    Good point. I'll try to measure my friend's E55 with a GPS, to see what kind of times it turns out.

    Re: cl 63 amg

    Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    Markus,
    I hope that you are not serious about that... All SL55 and E55 Kompressor press cars were little bit more powerfull then normal ones! I had a chance to drive one E55(press car with Stuttgart plates) and this one was much faster then my friends E55(bought in Croatia's Mercedes importer). Difference was around 2s from 100km/h till 220km/h!
    It is not that easy to "power up" NA engine like the one in E63! Normal acceleration for "not power up" SL/E55 is around 16s-16.5s as is measured by Sport Auto in recent SL55(mk2 517hp!) test. 0-200km/h in 15.6s, not 14s or lower as on some "special" SLs...



    Surprise, surprise. Finally, Mercedes discovered how hard it is to prepare a non-supercharged car for the press

    Re: cl 63 amg

    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    Markus,
    I hope that you are not serious about that... All SL55 and E55 Kompressor press cars were little bit more powerfull then normal ones! I had a chance to drive one E55(press car with Stuttgart plates) and this one was much faster then my friends E55(bought in Croatia's Mercedes importer). Difference was around 2s from 100km/h till 220km/h!
    It is not that easy to "power up" NA engine like the one in E63! Normal acceleration for "not power up" SL/E55 is around 16s-16.5s as is measured by Sport Auto in recent SL55(mk2 517hp!) test. 0-200km/h in 15.6s, not 14s or lower as on some "special" SLs...



    Surprise, surprise. Finally, Mercedes discovered how hard it is to prepare a non-supercharged car for the press





    I have an idea! Why don't we find an E55/SL55 and an E63/SL55Mk2 and have a drag race? That would be the best test .

    Re: cl 63 amg

    I guess that like with every production car you have a relatively wide range of power diffusion among the same car model. Anyway, I've had a 996TT before I got my SL55 (both stock)... and the SL55 "feels" faster... although I know it shouldn't.

    Re: cl 63 amg

    Quote:
    Martin J.S. said:
    Quote:
    Mussl Kar said:
    [...]and this makes the 63 cars faster.



    Well... please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the 55 Kompressor engine (especially with its latest overhaul) faster than the naturally aspirated 63 engine?

    This is really not meant as a provocation, so maybe I don't know better, but AFAIK, the 55 Kompressor engine was faster than all 63 engines in direct comparism (i.e. same car models).

    IMO that's exactly the reason why they didn't put the 63 engine into the R230 SL.


    The CLK63 felt faster than the CLK55 on the autox course. Prob because the CLK55 is a NA engine with a lot less hp that the NA 63.
    Someone at the AMG Challenge (staff) told me the new 63 engines will make it a lot harder for owners to mod for hp gains. He said something along the lines of dealers not easily being able to tell if a car has been modded when working on it, or taking a 3 year old car in trade that was heavily used/abused in its modded state, and returned to stock on trade in.

     
    Edit

    Forum

    Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky The moment I've been waiting for... 5/18/22 6:36 PM
    Pilot
     
     
     
     
     
    690331 1306
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 1/29/23 2:19 AM
    watt
    322878 1192
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 1/26/23 4:09 PM
    W8MM
    221671 1340
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 1/28/23 3:45 AM
    Spyderidol
    206321 465
    Porsche Sticky Porsche Taycan Turbo S - Short Review 10/6/22 12:37 AM
    WhoopsyM
    187645 580
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 1/20/23 10:57 PM
    Pilot
    133025 58
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 11/30/22 2:30 PM
    GnilM
    58450 68
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 2/1/22 10:14 PM
    SSO.
    524173 3954
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 12/25/22 1:02 AM
    CGX car nut
    483785 2663
    Porsche 992 GT3 1/31/23 2:38 PM
    RCA
    479160 3798
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 1/21/23 3:51 PM
    CGX car nut
    234193 1491
    Porsche Donor vehicle for Singer Vehicle Design 9/30/22 6:31 PM
    Grant
    232221 774
    AMG AMG GT R 3/13/22 8:52 PM
    spudgun
    202208 834
    Lambo Aventador and SV 5/20/22 5:24 PM
    Topspeed
    198339 710
    Others Tesla 2 the new thread 1/31/23 2:42 PM
    WhoopsyM
    197042 2046
    Porsche GT4RS 12/30/22 1:28 AM
    JAMS
    192565 1194
    Motor Sp. [2021] Formula 1 4/19/22 10:08 PM
    Leawood911
    165132 1590
    Others Bugatti Chiron 8/30/22 4:31 PM
    Josef
    162182 525
    Ferrari Ferrari 812 Superfast 6/12/22 5:09 PM
    watt
    158288 535
    BMW M BMW M2 Rumors 2/28/22 7:42 PM
    Topspeed
    144840 409
    Porsche Red Nipples 991.2 GT3 Touring on tour 1/3/23 10:08 PM
    blueflame
    141950 509
    Lambo Urus (SUV) 6/7/22 1:20 PM
    Topspeed
    139650 593
    Others Corvette C8 7/18/22 12:40 PM
    WhoopsyM
    138691 443
    Porsche Dave and Gnil @ Nürburgring Nordschleife 7/4/22 10:42 PM
    DaveGordon
    137158 722
    Motor Sp. [2022] Formula 1 1/13/23 3:57 PM
    Leawood911
    129531 1572
    Others Toyota Yaris GR 4/13/22 8:33 PM
    Grant
    108506 640
    Lambo Huracán EVO STO 7/21/22 8:37 AM
    RCA
    107353 335
    AMG Mercedes E63 S AMG (2018) - Short Review (updated on a regular basis) 10/24/22 7:42 AM
    RCA
    105137 402
    Ferrari Wandered to the dark side 8/29/22 9:35 AM
    BiTurbo
    80318 418
    Ferrari Ferrari Roma 4/18/22 4:33 PM
    watt
    32649 438
    166 items found, displaying 1 to 30.