Crown

Board: AMG Mercedes Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

"Encounters" this weekend...C63 AMG Coupe PP

1. Yesterday, Autobahn A8 to Munich. Ferrari F430 Spider, license plate M-CR.. . Up to 220 kph, the distance between us both was absolutely the same, over 220 kph, I was faster but I have to give him that he was driving with an open top. I had the wife and kids onboard and a full fuel tank. Later on, he passed slightly on the right and was looking very very surprised according to my kids. A review of the F430 Spider put it at 0-200 kph in 13.9 seconds (the C63 AMG Coupe PP does it in 13.6 seconds), so this felt right.

2. Yesterday, Autobahn A8 to Stuttgart. Panamera 4S with license plate S-PX...., only the driver. No chance vs. the C63 AMG Coupe PP, the difference was substantial. First, he didn't want to move to the right but after a while he did. I was driving away like nothing most of the time, he had no chance. No surprise here, from 0-200 kph, the Panamera 4S is over 4 seconds slower than the C63 AMG Coupe PP.

For a daily driver which can easily carry four persons in comfort and has a pretty nice luggage room too, not bad. Especially considering the price tag. Smiley

Surprisingly, traction has improved with mileage (LSD works better or the rear tires provide more grip?). Yesterday, I full accelerated from standstill with ESP completely turned off and there was no tire screeching, just a little bit of slip and the car jumped forward like a rocket. The tires (Conti SportContact 3) definitely like higher temperatures, we had up to 28°C yesterday.

Fuel consumption was 21.4 l / 100 km yesterday. Funny story: My neighbor got himself a C63 AMG Coupe Black Series. When he bragged about his fuel consumption of 15 l / 100 km, I told him what the car really eats when it is driven hard. He had a shock and I even think he didn't believe me. Well... Smiley

1337594143813tacho.jpg

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, BMW X5M, Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe PP/DP, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

Re: "Encounters" this weekend...C63 AMG Coupe PP

enjoy....great car !

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

intouch1:

enjoy....great car !

I forgot the 0-200 kph of the F430 Spider, I actually had something around 12 seconds or so in mind, so I was pretty surprised that he couldn't catch up. My son was so proud...Smiley...he called his best friend in the evening to tell him...his father owns a Corvette Z06 and a Bentley Continental GT Coupe and they always brag about what cars are faster. At a point, they wanted me and his dad to compete (C63 AMG Coupe PP vs. Corvette Z06) but we decided to calm both boys down, it wouldn't do them any good if they watch a drag race. We already found a place for that...the grandfather owns a very large factory with a huge truck docking area but like I said, we decide not to send the wrong signal to our kids. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, BMW X5M, Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe PP/DP, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

That sounded like fun! kiss

http://www.zeperfs.com/en/duel1266-3573.htm

Even though there seems to be a slight descrepancy between the numbers that various magazines achieved and your findings, I am amazed that the Spider is so much slower than the coupe 430. http://www.zeperfs.com/en/duel1266-1887.htm Nearly a second to 200 km/h. As I always say, coupes is the way to go! wink

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

Fuel consumption was 21.4 l / 100 km yesterday. Funny story: My neighbor got himself a C63 AMG Coupe Black Series. When he bragged about his fuel consumption of 15 l / 100 km, I told him what the car really eats when it is driven hard. He had a shock and I even think he didn't believe me. Well... Smiley

He bought a Black Series for FUEL ECONOMY?????!!!!??? Really?

Whoopsy:

This is some sort of a german thing. If a car eats too much fuel, people seem to get mad...or depressed. Smiley Apparently the dealer told him that he can drive around with 15-16 l / 100 km tops, which is still a lot. When he heard about the 20 or more liters, he almost had a heart attack. Smiley

--

You sure he wasn't dogging it? More power and less weight and he still couldn't pass you.heart

When I had my 430 I often would dog it. Once a guy in a 997 base model with two girls in the car pulled alongside of me and began egging me on. He hit it and I pulled alongside of him and stayed there even though I wasn't near my maximum acceleration. When we stopped at the light I told him he had a fast Porsche and he was beaming. I am sure he told all his friends and was proud with the girls in the car. I try to help those that need recognition.

--

nberry:

You sure he wasn't dogging it? More power and less weight and he still couldn't pass you.heart

When I had my 430 I often would dog it. Once a guy in a 997 base model with two girls in the car pulled alongside of me and began egging me on. He hit it and I pulled alongside of him and stayed there even though I wasn't near my maximum acceleration. When we stopped at the light I told him he had a fast Porsche and he was beaming. I am sure he told all his friends and was proud with the girls in the car. I try to help those that need recognition.

No he wasn't. He was driving over a distance of more than 30 km behind me and I was driving as fast as possible. Smiley According to reviews, the C63 AMG Coupe PP is 0.3-0.5 seconds faster from 0-200 kph than the F430 Spider. Smiley Even in the most optimistic reviews, the F430 Spider is never faster.

More power? Well...not sure if 3 horses more on paper really make a difference. Weight? Yes but the C63 AMG PP engines are well known for producing a little bit more power (according to some comments on the official german AMG forum, most of them produce more than 500 horses) than claimed, the fact that the Black Series and the PP cars had similar test values in two reviews says it all. The MCT gearbox on the C63 Coupe is also fantastic, shifting extremely fast. The overall gear ratio is also pretty short since the car has 7 speeds.

I'm really happy. Smiley

--

RC:
    Whoopsy:

This is some sort of a german thing. If a car eats too much fuel, people seem to get mad...or depressed. Smiley Apparently the dealer told him that he can drive around with 15-16 l / 100 km tops, which is still a lot. When he heard about the 20 or more liters, he almost had a heart attack. Smiley

New cars consume more fuel for the first 10.000 km. On all of my cars, my fuel consumption decrease as much as 15% as a put more km on the engine.

--

ONUR

11 E92 M3 CP 

09 Audi TTS Coupe - 07 997 Carrera S - 05 M3 Coupe - 03 M3 Coupe - 96 M3 Coupe EVO (PASS TIME HISTORY)

RC:
    More power? Well...not sure if 3 horses more on paper really make a difference. Weight? Yes but the C63 AMG PP engines are well known for producing a little bit more power (according to some comments on the official german AMG forum, most of them produce more than 500 horses) than claimed, the fact that the Black Series and the PP cars had similar test values in two reviews says it all. The MCT gearbox on the C63 Coupe is also fantastic, shifting extremely fast. The overall gear ratio is also pretty short since the car has 7 speeds.

I'm really happy. Smiley

P, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

As far as I know, C63 engine produces more than Mercedes official data because it is a de-tune engine from SLS. That engine has a factory capacity of producing 570 hp; so in PP form, it produces more than stated Smiley

It is like, 599 produces slightly more than official Ferrari stats.

--

ONUR

11 E92 M3 CP 

09 Audi TTS Coupe - 07 997 Carrera S - 05 M3 Coupe - 03 M3 Coupe - 96 M3 Coupe EVO (PASS TIME HISTORY)

not quite right. the sls engine is a different animal. the c63 engine with PP has a few parts out of the sls engine such as rods and pistons iirc.

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

Well...yes and no. The actual real difference between the SLS engine (M159) and the C63 PP (M156 PP, in US: Development Package I think) engine is the dry sump lubrification system, a different intake manifold and different exhaust headers and of course a different exhaust and cooling system. Basically, the SLS engine is a M156 on steroids enhanced for track racing.

The C63 AMG engine is usually under-performing. According to various claims on the official AMG forum, the basic 457 hp engine delivers 430 to 440 hp. The PP engine, enhanced with SLS parts like pistons, rods and crankshaft and a different motronic software produces only 30 hp more on paper but most PP engines deliver up to 500 horses instead of the claimed 487 hp. 

Now the big secret only AMG (and AMG "insiders") know: AMG artificially limits the opening position of the throttle valve (reducing damper?) on the C63 engine. The M156 engine is one of the very rare N/A engines which can be easily tuned by software only, power upgrades of up to...hold your breath...50-70 hp...are easily possible. 

Even more interesting: The exhaust system is perfect, exchanging it actually makes things worse, same goes to the very good catalytic converter and headers.

--

RC:
    According to reviews, the C63 AMG Coupe PP is 0.3-0.5 seconds faster from 0-200 kph than the F430 Spider. 

Dear friend, if you look at the 1st link I posted earlier, you will see that this is not the case, as the aggragated average of numerous magazines tests, put the Spider slightly ahead of the PPP in the 0-200 km/h dash.

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe Performance Package

AutoBILD Sport Cars: 0-200 kph in 13.1 seconds.

Sport Auto: 0-200 kph in 13.6 seconds.

Real life experience: Confirming.

What did you drive lately, dear friend?! 

wink

--

Would it make any difference if I had driven an Enzo or an original Beetle lately? I just made a statement based on facts collected from eleven different car magazines, regarding your assertion about reviews' performance numbers.

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

REALZEUS:

Would it make any difference if I had driven an Enzo or an original Beetle lately? I just made a statement based on facts collected from eleven different car magazines, regarding your assertion about reviews' performance numbers.

Yes, it would.

I also made statements based on magazines but also based on a fact experience.

So what now? Smiley

--

fuel consumption on the C63 totally varies according to how it is used. short drives through the city are amongs the worst and according to ur average speed, it explains the high consumption of 22L. 

i drive a C63 station facelift as an every day car and when i dont drive it out of the city much i am back at the gas station after 230-250km. only on autobahn drives or longer journeys it is possible to reach consumption of around 15L, even when cruicing around 230-240 km/h and accelerating full power every once in a while....

i am extremely happy with the car, the sound gets better every day and not many other cars managed to put such a smile on my face when i start it or when it does its exhaust sounds from downshifting or shifting near the limiter...

75 or 80L tank would be nice though! ;)

--
    997 GT3 clubsport

rantanplan:

i am extremely happy with the car, the sound gets better every day and not many other cars managed to put such a smile on my face when i start it or when it does its exhaust sounds from downshifting or shifting near the limiter...

75 or 80L tank would be nice though! ;)

This is why I got my C63 AMG Coupe PP/DP as a daily driver, it is so much fun and the engine/exhaust sound is out of this world, I even wonder how this can be streetlegal in Germany. Smiley

Do you have any photos of your car? We would love to see them. Smiley

--

rantanplan:

75 or 80L tank would be nice though!

SmileySmileySmiley

i am several hundred km away from it at the moment but here some from my phone...

IMG_3499.jpeg

--
    997 GT3 clubsport

1343666223279IMG_3619.jpeg

--
    997 GT3 clubsport

Just wondering, which feels more stable after 230kph, the coupe or the wagon? yes

rantanplan:

1343666223279IMG_3619.jpeg

Full understatement Smiley

--

ONUR

WAITING FOR THE BEST CAR EVER smiley

11 E92 M3 CP - 09 Audi TTS Coupe - 07 997 Carrera S - 05 M3 Coupe - 03 M3 Coupe - 96 M3 Coupe EVO (PASS TIME HISTORY)

lovely

--

JimFlat6:

Just wondering, which feels more stable after 230kph, the coupe or the wagon? yes

..from the construction that should be the coupe. But I don't think there are noticeable differences.

--
    Kind regards, Conny 

Porsche 997.2 Turbo S  *  BMW X5 M

yes i would also think the coupe would be the most stable of all of them... however in reality and every day use the difference is very small and i actually love the looks of the wagon and also appreciate the extra space a lot! Perfect car. soo much fun...

--
    997 GT3 clubsport

REALZEUS:

That sounded like fun! kiss

http://www.zeperfs.com/en/duel1266-3573.htmlink

Even though there seems to be a slight descrepancy between the numbers that various magazines achieved and your findings, I am amazed that the Spider is so much slower than the coupe 430. http://www.zeperfs.com/en/duel1266-1887.htmlink Nearly a second to 200 km/h. As I always say, coupes is the way to go! wink

Yup 90% of the time coupe is faster then spider of any car brand.

--
    Porsche and other cars video collection

I just love all the AMG models... they're such motorized beasts, true muscle cars. In downtown Vancouver you see all kinds of AMGs on every corner. S63 AMG is common but the C is also very popular and for good reason, it's amazing!!  I must note, I haven't seen many E AMGs, more so the G55 etc..

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    752775 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    430434 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258452 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255387 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79499 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5248 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868033 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    801629 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM