Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Dension Gateway 500 Instructions for use

Had it installed in my GT3. The instructions with it are totally useless. Has anyone had a lot of luck with it & can manage to control it ok?...If so a sticky post on how to actually best use the thing through the PCM2 system would be great. I have searched previous posts for Dension, and come across quite a bit of stuff, but its all a bit patchy.
    Is it best to work with playlists?, rather than scrolling through albums/artists etc
    when I have seen reference to +/select what control is this referring too?
    Does the thing take a while to load stuff up?...it seems sometimes just hovering on an item selects it, other times it does not
    It seems you use the >> key also to select and move about,have also read about a search function, but cannot find that.. its all a tad confusing and annoying!
    So please if some bright spark has figured out the best way to navigate through the PCM/IPOD/Dension it would be great to have a more detailled explanation for us thickies!
    TIA

Re: Dension Gateway 500 Instructions for use

You might check out the Dension Gateway 500 thread over on Rennlist, found here:

Dension Gateway 500 Thread

I've had mine for about 2 months now--and it is a bit daunting to use while driving, especially if you're trying to navigate through individual albums. The easiest way to use it is using the first 4 playlists on your IPOD; and yes, Dension has to work out some functionality issues that you have noticed--inside a track list, and with it configured for Select +, you just scroll to a song and it auto selects (that's how the Porsche PCM functions), but other times you must press and hold FF (the >> button) to lock in a selection.

Adding a number between 1-4 to the front of a playlist, will make that playlist easily accessible and for variety you can rotate which playlists you so number, assuming your IPOD is like mine and has more than 4 total playlists.

I normally pick a playlist before starting off, and let it play in random mode. Too hard to mess around much and drive at the same time, if there's any traffic around you.

I agree, I just random play the 4 playlists most of the time.

Superb link Paul, thanks very much, all is a little clearer now, and indeed the Dension does work reaonably well once you know whats what. My dealer installed mine in the front ( GT3 ) under the cover somewhere that hides the brake fluid res etc....are those panels easy to get off?..there appears to be some screws at the rear of them, I need to get to the unit to get it into config mode so I can change the >> commands to the rotary knob etc
    thanks

I am stuck!!

I have just installed the Gateway 500 in my 997 S and it worked perfectly for the first 30 minutes or so. The second time I went to use it, it locked itself on CD6 AUX and I cannot get back to any of the other menu's. Playback is only possible via RCA on the AUX socket.

I have tried reset, new software and nothing helps.

Can anyone shed any light on this or do I have a faulty unit??

Quote:
    Chris5150 said:
    Superb link Paul, thanks very much, all is a little clearer now, and indeed the Dension does work reaonably well once you know whats what. My dealer installed mine in the front ( GT3 ) under the cover somewhere that hides the brake fluid res etc....are those panels easy to get off?..there appears to be some screws at the rear of them, I need to get to the unit to get it into config mode so I can change the >> commands to the rotary knob etc
    thanks

The plastic compartment does come off--remove all the screws and you sort of wrestle it out. Be careful of the screw on the driver's side next to the vent, as it's real easy to drop that one, and it can disappear on you (ask me how I know). Not sure how your dealer installed yours, but I did the install myself and secured the unit down where the CD changer would go, using double sided foam tape and it's easily accessible just by opening the cd changer compartment door.

Quote:
    Speedy_Gonzalez said:
    I am stuck!!

I have just installed the Gateway 500 in my 997 S and it worked perfectly for the first 30 minutes or so. The second time I went to use it, it locked itself on CD6 AUX and I cannot get back to any of the other menu's. Playback is only possible via RCA on the AUX socket.

I have tried reset, new software and nothing helps.

Can anyone shed any light on this or do I have a faulty unit??

My guess is your unit is not defective--this sounds like the "recognition issue" which intermittantly rears its ugly head. It is something in the firmware.

Here's a link to the post inside the Rennteam thread on steps to take:

Unit Freezing/not seeing Ipod

Some folks have had success waking it up, by arming the alarm, waiting 5-10 minutes, and when you unlock and start the car, all is well. What this supposedly does, is the Most Bus eventually powers down, and then when you restart the car, it checks the bus and sees the Ipod.

And now for the bad news. The last time I had this issue, none of these steps worked, but I stopped and got gas, and when I restarted the car, magically it could see the Ipod again and has been working again without incident for several weeks now. So if all else fails, evidently some time goes by and the gremlin goes away.

It is common for the Dension to work flawlessly for weeks on end, and then this firmware issue arises from nowhere. It's frustrating and Dension needs to fix it. By the way, I am running the 1.05 firmware which is the latest and was released in late March. It does not solve this problem.

Thanks for the advise Paul S.

The car is in the garage getting a new clutch at the moment so I will try what you have suggested when I get it back on Friday.

I guess one thing to consider is that I have hard wired the Dension unit into the power supply to which is on all the time so I may switch this to a supply which is switched by the ignition so the Dension unit powers down and up again every time I use the car.

Thanks for the advise and link.

Quote:
    Speedy_Gonzalez said:
    Thanks for the advise Paul S.

The car is in the garage getting a new clutch at the moment so I will try what you have suggested when I get it back on Friday.

I guess one thing to consider is that I have hard wired the Dension unit into the power supply to which is on all the time so I may switch this to a supply which is switched by the ignition so the Dension unit powers down and up again every time I use the car.

Thanks for the advise and link.

You don't want to change the wiring--it needs to be wired to an always on power source, and most folks tap into the line meant for the cd changer (which is on the passenger side of US cars, underneath the trunk carpet). It is just that when it doesn't see the IPOD, one of the fixes is to power down the Dension--the power cord unplugs from the Dension unit. But otherwise there's no need to cut its power, and my understanding it that it needs to be powered all the time, otherwise it won't been seen as part of the MOST bus.

Got mine all working fine now. Only issue I have is that when you go into menu 6 and onto to change the power settings you have 3 options ..off/play/+2hrs. I have selected play and held down the >> button to accept it, but it doesnt seem to do anything. If I come out of the menu and back into it again, it shows the off setting. My Ipod is not being charged, so I know its off. It is connected upto the power lead. I read somewhere in that link that someone had a similar problem and once they did the reset ie turn on & off 3 times into config menu and set toggle that it then started to power the Ipod, so I will try that at weekend...anyone else tried to change the power settings successfully? thanks

I'm with you Chris. I'm still waiting to see if anyone has figured out how to lock the charge on 'play' or '+2.' My experience is the same as yours. Using either the select knob or >>, I make +2 the setting, turn off the PCM, lock the car, wait and when i turn the PCM back on, it's reverted to 'off' again.
    So, the Ipod's battery gets low because it's not charging and I turn the PCM on I get the "AUX" on CD 6. So I take the Ipod out of the car and charge it up with a wallwart.Once charged, the 'aux' goes away and the screen is normal with all selections available
    Someone must have this working...

Which version of Dension are you running? I am running version 1.0 and have set mine to charge on 'play'......it works just fine. I have not attempted to go to version 1.05 as I think there are still a few bugs there....plus i'm working on the old addage...'if it a'int broke....don't fix it!'.

Right then, the car is back, new clutch installed and guess what, that Dension thing still doesn't work. I have cycled the PCM and Dension unit up and down more times than you can shake a stick at along with rebooting the iPod itself and it still won't see the iPod.

I have logged a ticket on the Dension Knowledge base and they are refusing to respond depite me chasing them 3 times this week - are they hiding something...

So, any bright sparks out there got any other ideas as the unit has functioned fully once for 30 minutes and now been as good as dead for a week?

Well I tried to do the reset on the dension at weekend but just could not get the thing to go into config mode.
    Firstly my aux box with the toggle switch was not permanantly attached to the dension unit, it was just in left in the box. No worries, so I plugged the aux box in to the dension, selected the Ipod on the PCM and then moved the toggle switch on and off as instructed, but the pcm screen just would not drop into config mode. Switched the car off set the alarm etc left it 5 mins, then tried to do it all again and it just would not show me the config screen....the ipod just carried on playing and showing the playlist menu I was in at the time..any idea what Im doing wrong?

Keep trying, sometimes it takes a number of trys. If that fails try the reset with a paperclip. Then try again. If that fails?
    It took me a few trys to get to the config menu.

Larry, I did try loads of times, just would not play. The one thing I didnt try was the reset with the paperclip, so I will have a pop at that next time. It will be a while before I can be bothered wrestling the front cover off again though to get at the unit!...what a pain it is.
    Have most people left the AUx box fitted in the car?...Im just going to leave mine in the glove box, so the service guys can cut it out of the MOST loop etc as I have no intention of using the aux connections anyway.
    I find it a bit odd how Dension decided to put the switch for getting the unit into config mode on an aux unit that many dont even need to use. Whats wrong with putting the switch on the actually main unit, wouldnt that make better sense?...actually thinking about it I think I will permaantnly connect up the aux box and stick it outside the covered area so I dont have to ever remove that frustrating thing again!!

Quote:
    Chris5150 said:
    Larry, I did try loads of times, just would not play. The one thing I didnt try was the reset with the paperclip, so I will have a pop at that next time. It will be a while before I can be bothered wrestling the front cover off again though to get at the unit!...what a pain it is.
    Have most people left the AUx box fitted in the car?...Im just going to leave mine in the glove box, so the service guys can cut it out of the MOST loop etc as I have no intention of using the aux connections anyway.
    I find it a bit odd how Dension decided to put the switch for getting the unit into config mode on an aux unit that many dont even need to use. Whats wrong with putting the switch on the actually main unit, wouldnt that make better sense?...actually thinking about it I think I will permaantnly connect up the aux box and stick it outside the covered area so I dont have to ever remove that frustrating thing again!!

Chris, where did your installer put the Dension unit, that you have access issues? Just curious. I thought you had the aux box put in the glove box--the reset button is on top of the aux box, not the Dension unit, but you still should have the Dension unit somewhere it is accessible for any firmware updates.

I knew I'd need access to mine for whatever reason, and installed all of the pieces it in the front trunk cubby that's intended for the cd changer--I just flip open the top of the two doors, when I need to get to anything.

I'd get your installer to move it free of charge, since he/she did you no favors by putting it where you cannot get to it.

No real reason to get to the unit unless for replacement. Software updates via USB. Reset via auxillary module. If these items are in glove box, makes it easier if a problem occurs!

Paul, My unit has been mounted on the bulkhead ( its a GT3 ) under the plastic cowling that requires 6 or so screws removing & a wrestling job to get out. Like I say the Aux box wasnt connected up by the dealer, when I said kept in the glovebox I meant unconnected ie when servicing the dealer would need to removing the front cowling & plug it in. Then I decided I suppose I may as well just permanantly mount it myslef by connecting it up to the dension & then screwing it to the Outside of the cowling so its accesible all the time.

No need to access--suppose you get the nonrecongition issue where it refuses to see the Ipod connected to it. One of the cures is to disconnect the power line. If it's accesible, you can unplug in seconds. If not, you're hunting down whatever fused circuit it's connected to. I am very glad I can get to mine, with no muss or fuss. Plus a trunk install is very easy vs. routing everything to the glove box. Your choice, however. But don't say you weren't warned.

Quote:
    Chris5150 said:
    Paul, My unit has been mounted on the bulkhead ( its a GT3 ) under the plastic cowling that requires 6 or so screws removing & a wrestling job to get out. Like I say the Aux box wasnt connected up by the dealer, when I said kept in the glovebox I meant unconnected ie when servicing the dealer would need to removing the front cowling & plug it in. Then I decided I suppose I may as well just permanantly mount it myslef by connecting it up to the dension & then screwing it to the Outside of the cowling so its accesible all the time.

A hint--the easiest way to mount the dension unit is to buy some double-sided automotive trim tape available at most automotive stores. It holds very tightly and you don't have to drill any holes.

Grrrrr. I find the comments associated with this unit fascinating and informative but also frustrating - I find it hard to believe Dension have brought something sooooo unstable to the market.

Anyway, that is the rant out of the way. After 10 phone calls this week I have tracked down a guy who claims to be 'the' technical support for the UK distributor and I am taking the car down to him on Friday morning where he assures me he will get it to work.

For what it is worth I have mounted mine behind the PCM with AUX box screwed discreetly in the passenger footwell. I am pleased with this decision as I think I could mount it in the roof lining and it still wouldn't work!

As always, if anyone thinks they can come up with something creative to make mine work before Friday I am all ears.

Quote:
    Speedy_Gonzalez said:
    Grrrrr. I find the comments associated with this unit fascinating and informative but also frustrating - I find it hard to believe Dension have brought something sooooo unstable to the market.

Anyway, that is the rant out of the way. After 10 phone calls this week I have tracked down a guy who claims to be 'the' technical support for the UK distributor and I am taking the car down to him on Friday morning where he assures me he will get it to work.

For what it is worth I have mounted mine behind the PCM with AUX box screwed discreetly in the passenger footwell. I am pleased with this decision as I think I could mount it in the roof lining and it still wouldn't work!

As always, if anyone thinks they can come up with something creative to make mine work before Friday I am all ears.

You have yours connected where the folks who supposedly know, told me yesterday to move mine in order to "solve" the problem with intermittently getting a "no cd changer" error message. Nice.

I agree with your rant, but at least mine generally works subject to unpredictability as to when it will decide on its own not to work, giving me the no cd changer error message.

They'll probably fiddle with something and that bit of fiddling if it works, will become the next, in a long line of "fixes".

Or you may truly have a bad GW 500. Keep us posted; this should be interesting.

The 'no CD changer found' error, forcing it to go into AUX mode and not charging the iPod are my concerns. I picked up my car from the dealership and the iPod was dead, and the Dension couldn't provide enough juice to run it.

For anyone that is interested.....

I took the Car down to Progressive this morning and the guy there could not have been more helpfull. We took apart the installation and tried it with his iPod video (mine is 4thgen) and nothing worked - we swapped dock cables and it kicked into life - hoorah. On further inspection we found a fault on one of the pins on the doc cable which once fixed did the trick.

What is probably of more interest however is while there, we tried installing a BETA version of the 2.0 firmware - this just caused my 4g to keep crashing (which he said may be the case) but ran fine with his 5g iPod video. The improvements made in the version are streets ahead od v1.05 - the loading of tracks and general navigation was excellent, when in the CD listing it almost now replicated the iPod with the; Albums, Artists, Playlists etc. selections and no hanging while 'loading'. None of this having to label Palylist 1-4 anymore.

In addition, I took a look at the new Dension AV kit which hooks up in parallel with the GW500 and the PCM to provide video on the go via the PCM screen. Not sure what the local fuzz would have to say about the dangers of watching video on the go but it got me excited.

Anyway, it now works with v1.05 on my iPod 4g but he has offered to let me help do some consumer testing of v2.0 if I change my iPod in the near future. So this combined with the video function... looks like I'm off down the shops tomorrow to buy a new iPod.......

Quote:
    Speedy_Gonzalez said:
    For anyone that is interested.....

I took the Car down to Progressive this morning and the guy there could not have been more helpfull. We took apart the installation and tried it with his iPod video (mine is 4thgen) and nothing worked - we swapped dock cables and it kicked into life - hoorah. On further inspection we found a fault on one of the pins on the doc cable which once fixed did the trick.

What is probably of more interest however is while there, we tried installing a BETA version of the 2.0 firmware - this just caused my 4g to keep crashing (which he said may be the case) but ran fine with his 5g iPod video. The improvements made in the version are streets ahead od v1.05 - the loading of tracks and general navigation was excellent, when in the CD listing it almost now replicated the iPod with the; Albums, Artists, Playlists etc. selections and no hanging while 'loading'. None of this having to label Palylist 1-4 anymore.

In addition, I took a look at the new Dension AV kit which hooks up in parallel with the GW500 and the PCM to provide video on the go via the PCM screen. Not sure what the local fuzz would have to say about the dangers of watching video on the go but it got me excited.

Anyway, it now works with v1.05 on my iPod 4g but he has offered to let me help do some consumer testing of v2.0 if I change my iPod in the near future. So this combined with the video function... looks like I'm off down the shops tomorrow to buy a new iPod.......

Good to hear you resolved you problems. This is the first I've heard of a v2.0 F/W for the GW500. Can you share some more information and do you have access to the souce file? Dension is still sitting at v1.05 on their web site.

Thanks!

1.05 is still the recommended firmware, as is 1.00 which seems to work for most.

However, we will have the bluetooth adapter in hand within the next few weeks, and that will be the cat's meow.

Email me anytime to get 'on the list'...

I'm having problems getting the Dension 500 to recognize the iPod. Been playing the USB mini-flash drive instead..

Hi all, 

I just got the dension 500 installed on my targa 4s yesterday, and let me tell you, i hate it !!Smiley

i have the same dension 500, installed on my Audi Q7, and its functionality is much better. Smiley

firstly, you can chose to navigte through the iPod or the Multi Media Interface, and the MMI is a breeze.

Unlike the Audi, the usage of the Dension 500 with the Porsche PCM is just not how it should be. You cannot use the iPod or iPhone to navigate the songs, and on top of that, using the PCM, almost requires you to park the car to get to select what song you want ! (kinda defies the purpose of having a Porsche)Smiley

And dont even get me started on installation charges, i literally yelled out WHAT THE HELL !Smiley

on my Q7, it cost about $500 to install, on the Porsche, a whopping $1200 !!! and this is a special price mind you.

ahhh, if we had a time machine...

--

==

2007 Porsche 997 Targa 4s, PSE, Tip

2008 Audi Q7 4.2, Remus Muffler

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    804526 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448916 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266610 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90260 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6883 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

886347 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    835038 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM