Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread


    The smell of leather!

    Gents: I have an o6 997S with dark gray leather interior. For some reason the leather does not smell like my 05 C4S. The dealer told me it's a different material. My new BMW leather smells awsome but the 997S smells different. Is this just me??

    Re: The smell of leather!

    Try Griot's Garage "leather scent" it's actually pretty good stuff if your into leeeeathahhhh.

    Re: The smell of leather!

    Will it actually smell like a nice genuine leather? or will it smell cheap? (similar to jelly beans tasting like cheap knock offs of the real thing)

    Re: The smell of leather!

    Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:
    Will it actually smell like a nice genuine leather? or will it smell cheap? (similar to jelly beans tasting like cheap knock offs of the real thing)



    It's hard to trust a guy (me) on the internet, but lemme say I'm used to having nice things and at the same time I have no problems with the "genuineness" of the Griot's product.

    Can't hurt to try it. Just a few bucks.

    oops, sorry edz61, don;t want to hijack your post... .

    Re: The smell of leather!

    Quote:
    edz61 said:
    Gents: I have an o6 997S with dark gray leather interior. For some reason the leather does not smell like my 05 C4S. The dealer told me it's a different material. My new BMW leather smells awsome but the 997S smells different. Is this just me??



    They get their leather from a number of different suppliers. I'm sure it's all the same level of quality, maybe just a different chemical processing or different volitile adhesives?

    Re: The smell of leather!

    Is it Natural Leather Dark Grey? It is the best quality leather in Porsche! Much better then leather in my BMW M3(e46)... Smell? Natural leather is having different smell then other Porsche leather...
    Both Natural leathers-Dark Grey and Brown are awsome in quality and feel, IMO.

    Re: The smell of leather!

    I agree that natural leather is nicer, however the cost of natural leather grey is about twice that of black and the difference in color is negligable. The feel and smell between my natural leather grey boxster and my black full leather 997 is pretty much the same.

    Re: The smell of leather!

    The thing about natural leather is that I think it wears differently than the standard leather. From what I've seen the natural leather looks "older" faster which made me shy away from ordering it. I wish I had my camera when I saw a nice 996 with 50K miles and natural leather; would show what I mean.

    Re: The smell of leather!

    Hey AJ! Jelly Beans????? Wow!!! We'll have to discuss this further over a few martinis in Montauk

    Re: The smell of leather!

    if your car is not full leather interior or if you dont have sport seats, porsche have something called leatherette interior which is not real leather but artificial one.

    Re: The smell of leather!

    Quote:
    DORY M. said:
    if your car is not full leather interior or if you dont have sport seats, porsche have something called leatherette interior which is not real leather but artificial one.



    I believe ALL Porsche seats are leather on the seats, bolsters and back (the section your back contacts with).

    Re: The smell of leather!

    no mmd ,dorym is right ,the only real leather you get with porsche is when you order all leather option , natural leather or sport seats .otherwise you get what they call leatherette. if you go to a dealer check the back of the leather color samples ,you will get the whole point. and IMHO its a shame that a car with such sticker price uses this kind of trick to save few bucks

    Re: The smell of leather!

    Quote:
    dhayek said:
    no mmd ,dorym is right ,the only real leather you get with porsche is when you order all leather option , natural leather or sport seats .otherwise you get what they call leatherette. if you go to a dealer check the back of the leather color samples ,you will get the whole point. and IMHO its a shame that a car with such sticker price uses this kind of trick to save few bucks



    I dunno..., my 03 BoxsterS has partial leather seats and no leather option. Would be sick for Porsche to have abandoned partial leather seats in 997 and 987.

    Re: The smell of leather!

    In UK 911's get full leather as standard. But you pay becausee it's a no choice option, with tinted top windscreen. So your statement in UK is true.Except on Boxsters.. Elsewhere I don't think you get full leather. You have to pay......

    Re: The smell of leather!

    Quote:
    MMD said:
    I believe ALL Porsche seats are leather on the seats, bolsters and back (the section your back contacts with).



    Quote:
    dhayek said:
    no mmd ,dorym is right ,the only real leather you get with porsche is when you order all leather option , natural leather or sport seats .otherwise you get what they call leatherette. if you go to a dealer check the back of the leather color samples ,you will get the whole point. and IMHO its a shame that a car with such sticker price uses this kind of trick to save few bucks



    Sorry, MMD is actually right. In the standard "partial leather" seats, the parts with which you are in contact with when sitting are genuine leather. The rest (back and sides) are in leatherette. Rear seats are leatherette as well.

    I agree about the shame part, though

    Re: The smell of leather!

    so i guess it all depands on the country and the specs that come as standard in this country... so guys i think that when you buy a porsche wherever you are make sure you dont get leatherette but real leather for the price you are paying

    Re: The smell of leather!

    As for the smell... Porsche uses all organic adhesives now. That is why the "new car smell" is different. But they have been doing this for a couple years, so wouldn't explain the difference between '05 and an '06 car. I would be guessing that the two cars have different color interiors and that would be why.

    Re: The smell of leather!

    edz, I know this is a bit off-topic, but do you have any photos of your natural grey interior? I've also ordered it.

    Re: The smell of leather!

    Quote:
    nicholas j said:
    Hey AJ! Jelly Beans????? Wow!!! We'll have to discuss this further over a few martinis in Montauk



    Yes, jelly beans! - Tanqueray straight up with an olive please.

    FYI - I got my car back from service (collision repair) on Friday, and I think the dealership put some coating on my leather seats -- smells like overdone Zymol leather cleanser, almost like they amplified the "new car smell" - I may take MMD up on his leather scent offer and try it out...as long as it won't smell like Volvo leather, IMO the strongest smelling leather of all car manufacturers

    Re: The smell of leather!

    James, here you my friend. This is a dark grey leather but looks black in the pic,

    Re: The smell of leather!

    Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:
    I got my car back from service (collision repair) on Friday, and I think the dealership put some coating on my leather seats --



    Aw geez! This makes me cringe. There was a case on a BMW board where well-meaning body used the wrong leather treatment to detail the leather seats. The result was a sticky mess. Check your seats really carefully for any softening or stickiness, or call the shop and ask exactly what they put on your seats.

    Re: The smell of leather!

    I think they put lemon juice - that's what it smells like

    Re: The smell of leather!

    Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:
    I think they put lemon juice - that's what it smells like



    Maybe it's that "Orange Glo," cr*p as seen on TV!

    Re: The smell of leather!

    That's fantastic! Thanks.

    I sat in one a few months ago for about an hour (in the freezing cold without the engine running) and I really liked it. It's similar to black, but with a slightly more muted, charcoal look and light carpets. I sort of think of it as "business suit grey".

     
    Edit

    Forum

    Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky The moment I've been waiting for... 5/18/22 6:36 PM
    Pilot
     
     
     
     
     
    628473 1306
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 8/6/22 1:00 AM
    W8MM
    264062 1183
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 10/2/22 12:14 AM
    watt
    158957 1176
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 9/30/22 10:36 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    149822 418
    Porsche Sticky Porsche Taycan Turbo S - Short Review 10/5/22 2:19 PM
    Carlos from SpainM
    132513 577
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 1/15/22 10:41 PM
    watt
    67405 1
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 10/5/22 3:56 AM
    BONES
    3072 21
    Porsche Cayman GT4 10/5/21 7:04 PM
    Topspeed
    563108 3587
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 2/1/22 10:14 PM
    SSO.
    465736 3954
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991.2 GT3 RS (2018) 11/17/21 5:18 PM
    Rossi
    429625 3256
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 2/1/22 9:49 AM
    RCA
    421266 2655
    Porsche 992 GT3 10/5/22 3:08 PM
    Wonderbar
    410887 3724
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 7/30/22 11:46 AM
    Wonderbar
    176709 1446
    Porsche Donor vehicle for Singer Vehicle Design 9/30/22 6:31 PM
    Grant
    176538 774
    AMG AMG GT R 3/13/22 8:52 PM
    spudgun
    149532 834
    Lambo Aventador and SV 5/20/22 5:24 PM
    Topspeed
    145228 710
    Others Tesla 2 the new thread 10/5/22 1:57 PM
    Carlos from SpainM
    139435 1841
    Porsche GT4RS 10/4/22 10:59 PM
    M3ike
    133660 1127
    Motor Sp. [2021] Formula 1 4/19/22 10:08 PM
    Leawood911
    113033 1590
    Others Bugatti Chiron 8/30/22 4:31 PM
    Josef
    108654 525
    Ferrari Ferrari 812 Superfast 6/12/22 5:09 PM
    watt
    106136 535
    BMW M BMW M2 Rumors 2/28/22 7:42 PM
    Topspeed
    94649 409
    Porsche Red Nipples 991.2 GT3 Touring on tour 9/25/22 5:17 PM
    blueflame
    89613 498
    Lambo Urus (SUV) 6/7/22 1:20 PM
    Topspeed
    88993 593
    Porsche Dave and Gnil @ Nürburgring Nordschleife 7/4/22 10:42 PM
    DaveGordon
    87432 722
    Others Corvette C8 7/18/22 12:40 PM
    WhoopsyM
    85481 443
    Motor Sp. [2022] Formula 1 10/5/22 2:59 PM
    watt
    70964 1381
    Lambo Huracán EVO STO 7/21/22 8:37 AM
    RCA
    58092 335
    Others Toyota Yaris GR 4/13/22 8:33 PM
    Grant
    58071 640
    Ferrari Wandered to the dark side 8/29/22 9:35 AM
    BiTurbo
    28916 418
    188 items found, displaying 1 to 30.