Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread


    Re: I think I've narrowed my After-Market Wheel Search

    I like the 171 wheel. It is a very clean looking wheel.

    Re: I think I've narrowed my After-Market Wheel Se

    I like the 171's best.They are not so "busy" as the 67's. It's a cleaner design. Thturbo already has a lot of "hole's" in it... The 171's are a bit more classy then the others.
    Another nice rim to me is the techart 20".

    Re: I think I've narrowed my After-Market Wheel Se

    I am completely biased, but go with the RF67s:


    Re: I think I've narrowed my After-Market Wheel Se

    those wheels really suit the blue car.

    Re: I think I've narrowed my After-Market Wheel Se

    Hmm, those wheels all look quite similar to the GT3RS wheels in design, why not get those instead? They look awesome on Jason's car.

    Re: I think I've narrowed my After-Market Wheel Se



    Manthey MM2 Magnesium

    Re: I think I've narrowed my After-Market Wheel Se

    Agreed! I've "tried" so hard to like the OEM wheels while waiting for my car over the last several months. In the end, that mirror finish, the extremely busy multiple slats, the hard/stiff lines and wide blades got to me. Don't know how best to express the idea, and I know it's strictly a matter of taste, but for me, the Turbo OEM wheel "dominates" and alters the overall "look" and generally round line of this car, for the worse.

    Anyway, like you, I've looked at every wheel. The Rinspeed C1/5 looks great but was eliminated because of the size--only 20", GT OEM wheels are out because of the gain in unsprung weight and the cast design--a step backward for me. The RF 67 was the top choice until this HRE forged wheel was released just a few weeks ago: 19", forged, TPMS compatible, no spacer required, no lip (critical for me), 13 lbs less heavy per set than Turbo wheel, available in brushed alumininum (stunning with black car IMO), or powder coat silver Porsche OEM finish (what I am getting). I like the classic 7 poke mesh design, the more since I saw them on those RS Spyder's and 911 GT at the Long Beach Grand Prix.

    Quote:
    STRADALE said:

    Hard to explain why I like the way it looks, just do.

    I've had a love, hate w/ the turbo wheels at first didn't like the way they looked at all but then they grew on me but the last few months, the more I see them the more I dislike the way they look, right now I pretty much can't stand them. Usually w/ factory stuff (wheels, design, etc.) I would almost always prefer the stock look but the turbo wheels are really buggin me.

    19's:





    Re: I think I've narrowed my After-Market Wheel Se

    HRE P40 brush aluminum finish. I am getting the Porsche OEM silver finish, which looks a bit more subdued. The rear wheel in particular has an aggressive and beautiful deep dive towards the center.

    Re: I think I've narrowed my After-Market Wheel Se

    Wow. I really like that new HRE. Still not as easy to clean as a GP7 though


    Re: I think I've narrowed my After-Market Wheel Se

    I definitely prefer the "171's". A much cleaner ,sleeker look, and IMO enhance and compliment the visual lines of the car. They would also look great painted basalt and really make the PCCB's stand out. It is a completely different look to a Porsche when the wheels are painted, and it takes the car of of the "everyday" look. Decisions, decisions

    Re: I think I've narrowed my After-Market Wheel Se

    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    eclou said:
    I'd go with the 171's since they look easier to clean - less ridges on the spokes




    I'm favoring the 171 too. Agree they look easier to clean but I like the spoke design a little better, instead of 10 of the same spokes, they have got that alternating thing going on. (don't know the word for it, if there is one)

    How about these - they are made by Champion, 19 inch and have the widebody offsets. http://www.pes-tuning.com/GP7_wheel_pics.htm

    Re: I think I've narrowed my After-Market Wheel Se

    That's what eclou just posted a picture of. I think he has them in both gunmetal grey and silver. I don't think it'd compliment the basalt black 997TT very well. The 171 or 67 would be a better fit. OFC, I think the RS would be the best looking but then again I'm biased.

    Re: 171

    Quote:
    Ferdie said:
    Stradale,

    will look at this thread once more tomorrow, when I am sober .

    Initially appreciate both versions, the later (171) having a more interesting spoke pattern and, being visually less nervous, more appropriate for the sleek surfaces of the 997 Turbo. If they don't come with any drawbacks compared to the OEM ones (rotation, weight, sturdiness) I see no reason to ignore them. Be cautious with those magnesium wheels.



    I second that completely! (including the sobering up part ) I love the simple yet refined look of the 171's. The others are beautiful too, but If I could choose they would be the 171's.
    -Joost-

    Re: I think I've narrowed my After-Market Wheel Search

    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Here are the Magnesium versions of the 171's.



    We have a winner!



    If I end up getting a TT in black, these are the wheels and color I plan to get!

    Re: I think I've narrowed my After-Market Wheel Search

    How about the GT2/3 wheels? Too heavy?

    Re: I think I've narrowed my After-Market Wheel Search

    Happy birthday Crash:!

    Re: I think I've narrowed my After-Market Wheel Se

    Champion R171 for me or Manthey.
    I love also 997 RSR bbs wheels.Do you know the name-number of that model ???

    Re: I think I've narrowed my After-Market Wheel Search

    Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    Happy birthday Crash:!



    Thanks gain, easy!

    Re: I think I've narrowed my After-Market Wheel Search

    Yes, still rooting for Gregg to pick the black 171's!

    Re: I think I've narrowed my After-Market Wheel Se

    Of the first two I'd get these with the cleaner, non-fluted spokes.

    These pairs of dimple holes bother me, I wonder why they can't just leave things alone. What's this instinct certain designers have to "decorate" everything? Maybe it's a committee of designers and they all want to have a say-so?!

    When/if I get aftermarket wheels they will be from Ruf (unless Ruf starts to get frilly).

    Not "complaining" or wanting to mess with people, it's just that, in these matters, my mind is wired to think less-is-more.

    Re: I think I've narrowed my After-Market Wheel Search

    Quote:
    Alex_ said:
    And an example of the 171's on a black Turbo:






    Thanks Alex. Wow! This thread turned out awesome! But now I have even more to think about.

    Re: I think I've narrowed my After-Market Wheel Search

    Quote:
    imcarnuts said:
    I like the 171 wheel. It is a very clean looking wheel.



    Me too, compliments the car really well. Both the 67 & 171 accomplish this imo plus they're lighter than stock. I wonder if you can feel any difference when combining 2 lighter unsprung factors,,,,, lighter PCCB's w/ the lighter wheels VS. steel w/ stock. Maybe, maybe not but it can't hurt.

    Re: I think I've narrowed my After-Market Wheel Se

    Quote:
    alin2 said:
    I am completely biased, but go with the RF67s:






    Niiiceeeee~~~~~~ Seems almost equal between the 2 wheels..... Hmmmmmmmmm.....

    Re: I think I've narrowed my After-Market Wheel Se

    Quote:
    cannga said:
    Agreed! I've "tried" so hard to like the OEM wheels while waiting for my car over the last several months. In the end, that mirror finish, the extremely busy multiple slats, the hard/stiff lines and wide blades got to me. Don't know how best to express the idea, and I know it's strictly a matter of taste, but for me, the Turbo OEM wheel "dominates" and alters the overall "look" and generally round line of this car, for the worse.

    Anyway, like you, I've looked at every wheel. The Rinspeed C1/5 looks great but was eliminated because of the size--only 20", GT OEM wheels are out because of the gain in unsprung weight and the cast design--a step backward for me. The RF 67 was the top choice until this HRE forged wheel was released just a few weeks ago: 19", forged, TPMS compatible, no spacer required, no lip (critical for me), 13 lbs less heavy per set than Turbo wheel, available in brushed alumininum (stunning with black car IMO), or powder coat silver Porsche OEM finish (what I am getting). I like the classic 7 poke mesh design, the more since I saw them on those RS Spyder's and 911 GT at the Long Beach Grand Prix.

    Quote:
    STRADALE said:

    Hard to explain why I like the way it looks, just do.

    I've had a love, hate w/ the turbo wheels at first didn't like the way they looked at all but then they grew on me but the last few months, the more I see them the more I dislike the way they look, right now I pretty much can't stand them. Usually w/ factory stuff (wheels, design, etc.) I would almost always prefer the stock look but the turbo wheels are really buggin me.

    19's:








    Good looking wheel. HRE needed something less bling for the Turbo that wheel does it imo. Still like the Champions but those are right up there, definitely wont rule them out. What does a set cost?

    Re: I think I've narrowed my After-Market Wheel Search

    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Thanks Alex. Wow! This thread turned out awesome! But now I have even more to think about.



    I know, I am bookmarking this thread myself, for future reference

    Re: I think I've narrowed my After-Market Wheel Search

    BTW: Jason - Recieved my CF trim strip yesterday in the mail. It was a very funny experience, felt like part of my car was delivered early, cause I guess it was.

    Also didn't you mention possibly wanting Alum PCM? Was just looking around on TechArt's site & they have it, along w/ Alum seatbacks

    Re: I think I've narrowed my After-Market Wheel Search

    Gregg,

    I may have found someone locally who can do the job for me. How it works for those guys over at Techart is that they'd take the components apart themselves and have it painted. That'd be impossible for me to do since they're all the way over in Germany. They don't sell these faceplates already painted. Bummer...

    Re: I think I've narrowed my After-Market Wheel Search

    Quote:
    atomic80 said:
    Gregg,

    I may have found someone locally who can do the job for me. How it works for those guys over at Techart is that they'd take the components apart themselves and have it painted. That'd be impossible for me to do since they're all the way over in Germany. They don't sell these faceplates already painted. Bummer...



    I see. Aww well thought I may have found something for you.

    Re: I think I've narrowed my After-Market Wheel Search

    Thanks for the thought, Gregg. Seeing the other Ruby red C4S with the sand interior really makes that grey PCM stand out. Porsche really should have done something for cases like that. It'd work okay with dark interiors but it's definitely a big no-no with lighter colored ones.

    Re: I think I've narrowed my After-Market Wheel Se

    And fun! Sure beat reading about the "flaws" of the Turbo at 9/10 driving.
    Just to make the data complete, there is also Neez, above my budget like the beautiful Manthey that Crash posted, but so *haut* I almost fainted the first time I saw them. Here it is on a you-know-what but I believe there is Porsche Turbo fitment coming as well.


    Quote:
    Alex_ said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Thanks Alex. Wow! This thread turned out awesome! But now I have even more to think about.



    I know, I am bookmarking this thread myself, for future reference



     
    Edit

    Forum

    Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky The moment I've been waiting for... 5/18/22 8:03 AM
    RCA
     
     
     
     
     
    572553 1305
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/23/22 1:43 PM
    Rossi
    222097 1179
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/18/22 6:34 AM
    GnilM
    111042 957
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/1/22 7:14 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    108016 405
    Porsche Sticky Porsche Taycan Turbo S - Short Review 1/3/22 7:55 AM
    Rossi
    89191 531
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 1/15/22 10:41 PM
    watt
    31397 1
    Porsche Cayman GT4 10/5/21 7:04 PM
    Topspeed
    511613 3587
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017) 9/28/21 3:25 AM
    WhoopsyM
    426917 3507
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 2/1/22 10:14 PM
    SSO.
    423848 3954
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991.2 GT3 RS (2018) 11/17/21 5:18 PM
    Rossi
    387247 3256
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 2/1/22 9:49 AM
    RCA
    364489 2655
    Porsche 992 GT3 5/13/22 3:48 PM
    Grant
    346057 3536
    Porsche OFFICIAL: The new Porsche 992 – a design icon and high-tech sports car 9/29/21 1:59 AM
    watt
    289213 1587
    Porsche Donor vehicle for Singer Vehicle Design 2/10/22 9:08 PM
    Topspeed
    137318 772
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 4/25/22 7:26 PM
    bluelines
    134390 1388
    McLaren F1 7/10/21 7:43 AM
    BiTurbo
    110636 209
    AMG AMG GT R 3/13/22 8:52 PM
    spudgun
    109649 834
    Lambo Aventador and SV 4/20/22 3:29 PM
    Enmanuel
    107325 709
    Others Tesla 2 the new thread 5/12/22 9:01 PM
    Leawood911
    92225 1637
    Porsche GT4RS 5/16/22 7:03 AM
    Porker
    83327 933
    Motor Sp. [2021] Formula 1 4/19/22 10:08 PM
    Leawood911
    75718 1590
    Others Bugatti Chiron 4/12/22 9:24 PM
    blueflame
    74733 520
    Ferrari Ferrari 812 Superfast 12/15/21 8:04 PM
    Topspeed
    70118 533
    BMW M BMW M2 Rumors 2/28/22 7:42 PM
    Topspeed
    61595 409
    Porsche Red Nipples 991.2 GT3 Touring on tour 4/4/22 7:10 AM
    GnilM
    54476 472
    Lambo Urus (SUV) 7/21/21 6:22 PM
    Topspeed
    53905 592
    Porsche Dave and Gnil @ Nürburgring Nordschleife 10/16/21 1:07 PM
    Pentium
    53822 719
    Others Corvette C8 11/8/21 8:04 PM
    Topspeed
    49769 442
    Others Toyota Yaris GR 4/13/22 8:33 PM
    Grant
    26475 640
    AMG AMG plotting new SLR with hybrid power for 2018 launch 2/22/22 2:34 PM
    Topspeed
    24032 275
    224 items found, displaying 1 to 30.