Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Will I need to add engine oil on my trip?

Guys, I'm hoping to collect my new 997S from the factory in Stuttgart on 25 Sept. My wife and I will then tour Germany, Switzerland, Italy, Monaco & France for 2 weeks before heading home to the UK. In total, we will be driving around 3000 miles (about 4800km). I hope and expect that this drive will take care of the break-in period nicely.

My questions are:

1) with a new engine, how much engine oil should I expect the car to use in around 3000 miles of driving? i.e. will I need to add any more engine oil during my trip or will I be able to wait till I get back?

[Of course, I will take regular engine oil readings - I've read p101-102 and p181-183 of the US version of the 997 Owners Manual. From what I've read, I should take a reading on level ground with the engine off but with the ignition on. It states that the difference between max and min levels is 1.2 liters and that each segment marking corresponds to 0.4 liters].

2) Will I need anything else for the car? Obviously there's no spare tyre and I just hope I don't get a flat tyre or suffer a breakdown somewhere on my trip.

3) Any other tips guys?

Thanks!

Re: Will I need to add engine oil on my trip?

In the first 4000km I used a 1/2 litre of oil. The dealer was kind enough to throw a liter into the trunk at pickup. If my experience is any indication, you could probably do the trip without adding any oil, but it would be a good idea for to have the factory give you a liter on the way out.

Other than that, there is nothing much you have to think about. They are great cars that just work very, very well.

The only other thing that I would think about is a navigation system. If the car does not include one, consider picking up a portable unit like the Garmin or the TomTom. They make long distance driving so much easier, not only for the maps, but also for finding fuels stations, hotels, restuarants and other points of interest.

I must say that I am envious. Your upcoming experience is a dream trip for me. Maybe one day I will have time time. Have fun and good luck.

The Porsche staff who do the handover are great and I'm sure if you tell them your plans they will advise/give you whats needed. Tom Tom was excellent if you don't have Nav.
    I did 1000 miles thru France and needed no oil. Enjoy what is a brilliant experience.

No extra oil necessary.

I travelled for 3,124 miles and ended up with my oil level at 3/4 full. At one point early in the trip it read 1/2 full but then I realized I was on an incline when I took that reading.

I'm not sure what color you have for your interior but, with my terracotta interior I bought an extra set of black floor mats for those wet and muddy days.

Bring along a small container of surface cleaner and a cloth. I had a container of Speed Shine wipes and a cotton cloth from Griot's Garage that came in handy when I got nailed by a bird out for target practice. It also helped as a nice final wipe after cleaning the thousands of bugs off the front of my car and the back of the rear-view mirrors.

Plot your escape route from Monaco before leaving. The roads are narrow, steep and winding, and the other drivers (especially the Vespa riders) are impatient. I had the misfortune of being in Monaco during their big tennis tournament, so a lot of the roads were closed off. It was a bit of torment finding my way out of there, as I had to wing it while disobeying my testy GPS.

In France, have at least Euro 200 handy for all the tolls you'll be passing through; but I'm sure you know this as you are just next door.

Happy trails!!!

Thanks very much guys.

Yes, I've ordered the extended navigation system so finding my way should be fine. My current car has a navigation system too - once you get used to it, you can never imagine not having it.

I'm hoping that at most I use about 0.5L to 1L of oil so I should hopefully be able to top up when I reach London. But I think I will take a small bottle of Mobil 1 just in case.

I've planned my exact route already using the Route Planner on the AA website. It's fantastic - you just enter a starting point - Stuttgart - and an end point - Calais and then each place you want go through as a 'via'. And that's it, it gives you the total distance, driving time and EXACT driving directions. Simply amazing!

I've really enjoyed planning my trip. Choosing nice hotels for each night, reading travel guidebooks for places to see, restaurant reviews....can't wait!

Take a litre with you.. You never know.
    I used about 1 litre in the first 3000 km... then it took 7000 km to use one more litre...
    Have fun and enjoy it!
    If I see a right hand car driving in Switzerland with German number plates, I'll make you a sign

if you have to refill oil go to the next porsche garage which you can easily find with your nav system.

enjoy high speed driving in germany!

By the way, I just checked the Mobil website. It seems there's a whole variety of oils. Which one to use?

Is this it?

Mobil Synt S 5W-40: http://www.mobil.com/UK-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil_Synt_S_5W-40.asp

Or this?

Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30: http://www.mobil.co.uk/UK-English/LCW/Products_Services/Mobil_1_ESP.asp

Or any of these?

http://search.exxonmobil.com/ledr/query_...ge%3A&ty9=w

Please let me know which one is suitable for a 997S. Thanks!

Thanks very much. From the website you provided, the correct oil is Mobil 1 0W-40.

I phoned the Mobil Technical Support line: It's available in 1L, 4L and 20L sizes.

Of course you should ALWAYS have a *full quart* of oil on board. Buy two or more, keep the opened ones at home for topping up.

Just back from Germany. Put 3300 miles on the C4S. Had to add oil at about 2k miles. Used about 1/2 litre for the 3300 miles. I asked the delivery guys about adding oil, they said no way it would need it! Contrary to what I read in the manual and this site, they were dead wrong.

Became a pain tracking down Mobil 1. Everytime I passed a porsche dealer it was closed. Found a liter at an Autobahn Esso. 21.50Euros. Bring some!

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    Thanks very much. From the website you provided, the correct oil is Mobil 1 0W-40.

I phoned the Mobil Technical Support line: It's available in 1L, 4L and 20L sizes.

At porsche they should be able to provide you with a liter oil before you get started i presume;
    And indeed 1/2l should do it perfectly.
    Just too bad you don't includebelgium on your trip... otherwise wecould meet at the coast, only 1/2 hour from Calais.
    Have a nicetrip in september!

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    Guys, I'm hoping to collect my new 997S from the factory in Stuttgart on 25 Sept. My wife and I will then tour Germany, Switzerland, Italy, Monaco & France for 2 weeks before heading home to the UK. In total, we will be driving around 3000 miles (about 4800km). I hope and expect that this drive will take care of the break-in period nicely.

My questions are:

1) with a new engine, how much engine oil should I expect the car to use in around 3000 miles of driving? i.e. will I need to add any more engine oil during my trip or will I be able to wait till I get back?

[Of course, I will take regular engine oil readings - I've read p101-102 and p181-183 of the US version of the 997 Owners Manual. From what I've read, I should take a reading on level ground with the engine off but with the ignition on. It states that the difference between max and min levels is 1.2 liters and that each segment marking corresponds to 0.4 liters].

2) Will I need anything else for the car? Obviously there's no spare tyre and I just hope I don't get a flat tyre or suffer a breakdown somewhere on my trip.

3) Any other tips guys?

Thanks!

Based upon a small sample response I got from Rennteam members about 6 or more weeks ago, you might expect anywhere from zero consumption up to about 1.7 litres.

At 3067 miles, I had added a total of 1.45 litres to my 911S. For what it's worth, my driving has only been occasionally aggressive, and mileage between oil additions has been falling. This last time, I went 761 miles before having to add 200 ml. I have been told that it takes a bit longer for the piston rings to seat in cars that use the synthetic oil.

Jim

While in Europe this summer I wound up adding about 1 quart every 1000 miles. Fortunately, I brought some with me! It's still running about 1 quart per thousand today,--perhaps a bit less. I just added my fourth quart and turned 4700 miles today.

Dan

Quote:
    Dan L said:
    While in Europe this summer I wound up adding about 1 quart every 1000 miles. Fortunately, I brought some with me! It's still running about 1 quart per thousand today,--perhaps a bit less. I just added my fourth quart and turned 4700 miles today.
    Dan

While all Porsche's use oil in varying amounts, one quart per 1000 is a bit on the high side.
    You may want to have that checked .There have been several discussions about this. For one , check to see if your LEFT exhaust tips show more deposits than the right .
    There seems to have been some problems with one of the RIGHT side pistons and some engines with about the same oil consumption as yours had to be replaced.

The odds of you having the same problem are remote, but.....

I'm still breaking in,--with about 4700 miles on the engine. No extra appearance of deposits on either side of the exhausts. I suspect it will settle down in time.

Dan

Quote:
    Dan L said:
    I'm still breaking in,--with about 4700 miles on the engine. No extra appearance of deposits on either side of the exhausts. I suspect it will settle down in time.

Dan

Breaking in at 4700 miles? That engine will continue to loosen until 10k and beyond, but, my friend, at 2000 miles is broken in. I respect break-in exercises and follow those myself, but if one does not stretch these engines on a regular basis they will not settle, may never deliver their best, and may use more oil than they should. Just my 0.02.

Quote:
    Dan L said:

Dan

Are you sure you're not running an RX8?? That seems pretty high to me!

This thread keeps reminding me of the fact that I had to cancel my post factory collection Europe tour at the end of September because production of my car was delayed by 3-4 weeks.

I'm collecting (hopefully) on 10/11 but my Europe tour has been postponed until Summer 2007. The good news is I've extended it from 13 days to 24 days....

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part I) Thread Closed 9/24/20 12:47 AM
    watt
    586566 2849
    Porsche Sticky The moment I've been waiting for... 12/30/20 9:03 AM
    rhino

359341 1279
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/10/21 2:32 PM
    Joost
    87134 1085
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 5/12/21 3:30 PM
    WhoopsyM
    45560 344
    Porsche Sticky ROAD TEST: New 992 Carrera 4S 3/3/21 10:57 PM
    Wonderbar
    35714 336
    Porsche Sticky Porsche Taycan Turbo S - Short Review 10/19/20 6:12 PM
    Leawood911
    33580 380
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/11/21 3:34 PM
    watt
    17034 344
    Porsche Sticky Porsche extends the Taycan model range (Taycan 2WD) 2/1/21 12:42 PM
    Leawood911
    4750 29
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 GT3 (2017) 7/27/20 2:13 AM
    DJM48
    566873 5257
    Porsche Cayman GT4 5/4/21 4:46 PM
    Topspeed
    408621 3586
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 4/25/21 4:04 PM
    Topspeed
    359032 3916
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017) 4/29/21 7:24 AM
    GnilM
    356626 3494
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991.2 GT3 RS (2018) 4/28/21 12:26 PM
    W8MM
    318337 3252
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 12/8/20 7:51 PM
    DJM48
    310351 2646
    Porsche OFFICIAL: The new Porsche 992 – a design icon and high-tech sports car 2/28/21 8:05 PM
    Topspeed
    219311 1542
    Porsche Tesla Roadster 9/23/20 8:22 PM
    bluelines
    197429 4279
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Panamera (2016) 2/11/21 9:22 AM
    Itsme
    161454 1379
    Others Alfa Romeo 4C 9/23/20 10:22 AM
    RCA
    138368 792
    Porsche 992 GT3 5/18/21 11:19 PM