Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Porsche 997 Turbo -Lamborghini Gallardo- Corvette Z06 video

http://www.dpccars.com/car-videos/01-05-...orvette-Z06.htm

Two parts

It is German.
    Can anybody translate some important parts?

for the what speed G accelerating in the first part

Re: Porsche 997 Turbo -Lamborghini Gallardo- Corvette Z06 v

Nice video clips, thanks .

At the very end if I understood correctly he said his favorite is the lambo, didn't understand what he said about the turbo but he said as far as the engine Corvette is the one.

How do you like my German?

Re: Porsche 997 Turbo -Lamborghini Gallardo- Corvette Z06 video

Quote:
    VGA18 said:
    http://www.dpccars.com/car-videos/01-05-...orvette-Z06.htm

Two parts

It is German.
    Can anybody translate some important parts?

for the what speed G accelerating in the first part

Fantastic video(s), thanks

Gallardo:
    Fantastic looks, engine and sound.
    * When you turn in and get on the throttle, the tail steps out. And you have to be very quick to catch it.
    * He accelerated to 280 kph before hitting 6th gear.
    * The Gallardo is "Verdamnt schnell" (do you need a translation for that ), but Tim would a bit more power in the midrange, you have to keep it between 5-8k to really be moving.

Turbo:
    * Much more torque in the midrange than the G.
    * You can feel everything that's going on through the steering wheel.
    * It handles in a special way because of the ass-engine, but is more stable than the G, and you don't need the quick reaction times that you do in the G.
    * Very efficient, but slightly dull.

Z06:
    * "Hihihihihi" (which I guess says it all)
    * You only need one gear in the Corvette, 4th gear, he does 0-270 kph in fourth gear
    * The most economical car of the three, when cruising on the Autobahn at 160-170 kph, the engine is only at about 2k rpm. Made possible by long gearing and massive torque.
    * All this for only 80 000 euro - wow.

You drive the Gallardo with your head, the Turbo with your heart and the Corvette with your ass

His favourite is a Gallardo with the steering from the Turbo and the engine from the Corvette.

----

I can't believe how quiet the Turbo is compared to the other two, what the h... was Porsche thinking
    Which I guess is why most Turbos are bought by a 50-something man and has Tiptronic

BTW, this is Grigio Proteus Gallardo, manual version! Current track king in all German Car press!
    It was faster then all competition around Hockenheim and Oschersleben tracks. That means F430F1, Corvetter Z01 and 997 turbo...

Quote:
    temm said:
    the Corvette with your as ass..

Did he not rather say with your balls ?

You're probably right, my german is not that good.

Maybe I should have said "the lower part of your body when sitting, not counting your legs"

"...und das Auto fährt man wirklich mit seinen Eiern."

Re: Porsche 997 Turbo -Lamborghini Gallardo- Corvette Z06 v

Fantastic video, Thanks!!!

Quote:
    temm said:I can't believe how quiet the Turbo is compared to the other two, what the h... was Porsche thinking
    Which I guess is why most Turbos are bought by a 50-something man and has Tiptronic

Well, I'm a 57 year-old, male, three-time Turbo buyer and I greatly lament purchasing the X50 option on my latest 996TT because of the irritating drone of the exhaust in this configuration. If future Turbos were ALL to be this way, I wouldn't buy another one, ever.

Let me add that I don't object in any way to the overall sound of the exhaust under full throttle. What I absolutely hate is the too-loud, tiresome, thrumming, resonant, part-throttle drone that sets in at just exactly the highway cruising rpm which I am forced to observe on USA interstate highways. I consider the exhaust on the X50-equipped 996TT to be obnoxious to the occupants while cruising and quite undesirable in a $150K vehicle.

Anything else you'd like to know?

Quote:
    W8MM said:
    Quote:
    temm said:I can't believe how quiet the Turbo is compared to the other two, what the h... was Porsche thinking

Well, I'm a 57 year-old, male, three-time Turbo buyer and I greatly lament purchasing the X50 option on my latest 996TT because of the irritating drone of the exhaust in this configuration. If future Turbos were ALL to be this way, I wouldn't buy another one, ever.

Let me add that I don't object in any way to the overall sound of the exhaust under full throttle. What I absolutely hate is the too-loud, tiresome, thrumming, resonant, part-throttle drone that sets in at just exactly the highway cruising rpm which I am forced to observe on USA interstate highways. I consider the exhaust on the X50-equipped 996TT to be obnoxious to the occupants while cruising and quite undesirable in a $150K vehicle.

Anything else you'd like to know?

I was only joking Mike
    Besides, you are "excused" since you own a CGT

Seriously, I wouldn't buy a loud aftermarket exhaust for the Turbo either, would probably get tired of it pretty quickly. (Listen to the "straight pipes" Fabspeed video, and you'll know what I mean)

I just wish the Turbo had a little bit more sound in it. Preferably with a button to switch it on/off.

Quote:
    temm said:... Preferably with a button to switch it on/off.

I wish the X50 had such a button, too

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    BTW, this is Grigio Proteus Gallardo, manual version! Current track king in all German Car press!
    It was faster then all competition around Hockenheim and Oschersleben tracks. That means F430F1, Corvetter Z01 and 997 turbo...

Is that the car which did 1.11.6 sec on Hockenheim.

Btw i am looking forward to see 12.6 sec 0-200kmh tested Gallardo.

Today i got AMuS (Turkish version) January, compared Gallardo,M6,997TT,Z06 and saw that on the sheet ,Gallardo got 15.0sec for 0-200km/h again

Btw that video need a F430 also. That would be cool. And also need a 0-1km challenge. That would be the best video.

Why mags dont compare cars one by one on an abandoned airfield or on a straight line???

Here is the data from Auto Bild Sportscars edition(yes, we discuss it here before BTW):

Corvette Z06

0-100km/h: 4.3s
    0-200km/h:12.6s
    0-250km/h:20.3
    Track time Oschersleben: 1:42.30min

Ferrari F430F1

0-100km/h: 4.0s
    0-200km/h:12.5s
    0-250km/h:21.0s
    Oschersleben: 1:41:89min

Lamborghini Gallardo(manual, THAT Grigio Proteus)

0-100km/h: 4.0s
    0-200km/h:13.1s
    0-250km/h:21.7s
    Oschersleben: 1:41.52min

Porsche 997 turbo(manual,LSD)

0-100km/h: 3.7s
    0-200km/h:12.1s
    0-250km/h:20.9s
    Oschersleben: 1:42:74min

Till 300km/h they all are within 0.3s...

The Porsche 997tt is the fastest from 0 - 200kph
    but was the slowest around the race track.

Does that mean that it is the worst handling of
    the bunch.

vinnie,

The 997tt has one foot on the track and the other on the street for daily driving, the other cars are much more track oriented. The GT2 will be the more track oriented turbo. Considering how easy the 997tt is for daily driving, even easier than my 97 993C2, IMO Porsche did a remarkable engineering job. As shown it's certainly no slouch on the track and on a street type track (very uneven) the turbo would probably have the fastest time. The ride with sport suspension in the "normal" mode for daily driving is very comfortable, even on long trips. Even then the car handles great, is very fast and the brakes are amazing. Best all around performer IMO.

Mike

Quote:
    mawyatt said:
    vinnie,

The 997tt has one foot on the track and the other on the street for daily driving, the other cars are much more track oriented. The GT2 will be the more track oriented turbo. Considering how easy the 997tt is for daily driving, even easier than my 97 993C2, IMO Porsche did a remarkable engineering job. As shown it's certainly no slouch on the track and on a street type track (very uneven) the turbo would probably have the fastest time. The ride with sport suspension in the "normal" mode for daily driving is very comfortable, even on long trips. Even then the car handles great, is very fast and the brakes are amazing. Best all around performer IMO.

Mike

Very well said.

vinnie, ask one of our members "watt" how he feels about the C6Z. Judging by his comments, the car is downright dangerous on mountain roads (it clearly has a track-oriented suspension setup).

Quote:
    temm said:
    You drive the Gallardo with your head, the Turbo with your heart and the Corvette with your ass

I think makes more sense, gallardo with your heart, turbo with your head, and the corvette with your ass(although I would never drive it !!! )

no offense to corvette owners!!!

Quote:
    Alex18_996CC said:
    Quote:
    temm said:

I think makes more sense, gallardo with your heart, turbo with your head, and the corvette with your ass(although I would never drive it !!! )

I'd also say that the Gallardo is for the heart and the turbo for the head. BTW, in case of the Corvette he didn't say ass, he said balls.

Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    Alex18_996CC said:
    Quote:
    temm said:

I'd also say that the Gallardo is for the heart and the turbo for the head. BTW, in case of the Corvette he didn't say ass, he said balls.

For balls i'd take not take a car , i'd go for anything else

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    mawyatt said:
    vinnie,

Mike

Very well said.

vinnie, ask one of our members "watt" how he feels about the C6Z. Judging by his comments, the car is downright dangerous on mountain roads (it clearly has a track-oriented suspension setup).

Funny, I drove one and thought it was soft. Too soft for the track and not nearly as taught and composed as the T1 option for a C5. I thought the car was very street friendly...actually too much so.

It has gobs (a lot) of torque, so maybe that is something the typical european car owner is not use to and therefore can be taken back by a bit. I think this causes some to make quick snap decisions about the handling of the car. The car puts down almost 500 ft.bls of torque but weights just over 3100lbs...that itselft will make the car feel difficult to manage and somewhat primal on the street.

Driving a car like this requires a totally different style than say a high revving Ferrari. You have to be very careful with the throttle, which will cause you to feel more "white knuckled" at times.

With a high revving DOHC/turbo motors that are typical for Euro cars, there is a buffer zone or lag in the power delivery. Most of the power occurs at high rpm, so for a second (or few miliseconds), you have a buffer while the engine reaches the appropriate RPM before it packs a punch. This gives a driver sufficient amount of time to prepare for the thrust. WIth the Z06, you are instantly ON. You are making more torque at 2k rpm than a typical turbo at 4krpm. Power is delived instantly at the slightest touch of the throttle and in a car only weighing 3100 something lbs, that can be difficult for the typical Euro driver to get use to.

I think more time in the car (long-term) test would allow the tester to get use to the power delivery of an American pushrod.

Quote:
    95jersey said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    mawyatt said:
    vinnie,

Mike

Very well said.

Funny, I drove one and thought it was soft. Too soft for the track and not nearly as taught and composed as the T1 option for a C5. I thought the car was very street friendly...actually too much so.

It has gobs (a lot) of torque, so maybe that is something the typical european car owner is not use to and therefore can be taken back by a bit. I think this causes some to make quick snap decisions about the handling of the car. The car puts down almost 500 ft.bls of torque but weights just over 3100lbs...that itselft will make the car feel difficult to manage and somewhat primal on the street.

Driving a car like this requires a totally different style than say a high revving Ferrari. You have to be very careful with the throttle, which will cause you to feel more "white knuckled" at times.

With a high revving DOHC/turbo motors that are typical for Euro cars, there is a buffer zone or lag in the power delivery. Most of the power occurs at high rpm, so for a second (or few miliseconds), you have a buffer while the engine reaches the appropriate RPM before it packs a punch. This gives a driver sufficient amount of time to prepare for the thrust. WIth the Z06, you are instantly ON. You are making more torque at 2k rpm than a typical turbo at 4krpm. Power is delived instantly at the slightest touch of the throttle and in a car only weighing 3100 something lbs, that can be difficult for the typical Euro driver to get use to.

I think more time in the car (long-term) test would allow the tester to get use to the power delivery of an American pushrod.

95jersey, watt lives in SoCal and owns a house in the hills. When he got the car, he was extremely happy (that 428 cu powerplant is frankly something I would take over almost any other engine if I could build a custom car). What bothered him was how the car behaved on the canyon roads he frequented (mind you, here's a guy who was proud of getting a Corvette). Of course there are different tastes, but he has owned basically every car imaginable (two GT2s, 993TT, 996TT, plus several other cars). I have no doubt that the Corvette can be very comfy, but I would wager that it was primarily built for freeways and the track (look at the track times it posted in most comparos - lightning fast!). I won't go further since I haven't driven the car, but you might want to contact watt (he frequents 6speed more often than Rennteam) and ask him if you have more interest in the subject.

From the list of cars you provided that he has driven, I still think my description of the situation to be fairly accurate. Even thought a GT2 is a very powerful car, it still has that same type of high rpm lag compared to a naturally aspirated big cube pushrod motor. The only other car with a similar power delivery is the Viper, which is notorious for tricky oversteer handling. This is probably something the vette would suffer if it wasn't for it's superior chassis.

I would like to hear his comments, but I would imagine the white knuckes come from power modulation through the canyon corners rather than how the suspension is handling the road. With so much torque on tap, so low, squeezing the throttle through a tight canyon would require absolute attention vs. driving a rear engined 911 at mid rpm. It's just a different style of driving and a completely different car.

I want to remain unbiased (although I guess I am). I have driven numerous DOHC track cars and have let those owners subsequently drive my car, and the biggest challenge they all had was throttle modulation through corners and the instant torque delivery of pushrod. You learn to steer the car with the throttle vs throw it around like a Boxster. Also, I think the AWD of the TT significantly helps the novice to intermediate driver cope with "on the edge" situations, which YES makes it a better street car, especially in bad weather.

Look at the praise for the Z06's handling - it comes from every German, English,Italian, French and US car mag out there. Tiff and even Clarskston have lavished praise on it.

The car is easy to place in a corner, there is zero lag in the gas pedal, all power is available RIGHT NOW and it is easy to throttle steer it. The breakaway threshhold is easy to feel and very safe unless you have mashed in more gas than prudent or then your experience level can handle.

Maybe in Watts case he should drive his cars more and get to know them better. When it comes to whining about a Z06 in the curves he is pretty much all alone.

Porsche makes curves at speed seem easy.
    A Z06 obliterates them.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 2/23/24 11:21 AM
    RCA
    581371 1761
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    377770 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    251904 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 2/22/24 5:12 PM
    GT-Boy
    210229 291
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    41490 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 2/19/24 9:07 AM
    RCA
    2263 25
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

840824 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    725344 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM