Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread


    Just had a go with 997 turbo tiptronic

    What a good laugh it was.

    My heart was beating way faster than it normally is. I guess the reason was half the excitement of finally getting a spin in one and half the car itself. When I get the keys of a car, I'm usually walking to get it but this I was almost running and jumping. It was just too good to be true.

    The 997 turbo is in that great cobalt blue, wich suits the car so well. Just as I started the engine, it rained like mad. Thank god it stopped quickly but the road was quite wet during my 40 minutes drive and I got the back end spinning each time I was accelerating. What a thrill to feel the back slides a bit in turns. It makes the drive a lot more fun.

    The ride: well, compared to the 997C4s, it's at least as smooth. It didn't seemed to be a problem. Strangely, when the sport button is on, it seemed even more confortable than the C4s. It must be my impression because I think the suspensions are about the same, or are they?

    The brakes . That's one impressive thing about this car. The turbo was equipped with the optional ceramic brakes and I was astonished by their performance on the wet. You've got so much grip that, to get in trouble, you must really over do it. That said, the std breaks of the c4s are just fine for the road. I wouldn't spend 8 ground for such a little difference.

    The perfs: you can definitly feel the difference over a carrera S. With a C4s I already felt that it was way enough for a rookie like me. The turbo is just way too much for me to handle. I just can't exploit the power. First I didn't had the time nor space, but even if I did I would have not been able to enjoy the full power. I would have end up in a dirch or worse. It's when you have a small city car in front of you that you realise how fast you take off. It's kind of weird. On an open road, you just put the pedal to the metal (and in my case, hope for staying on the road) and off you go. But you don't have the impression of just taking off as quick as you actually are. Perception of speed is a weird thing. But when you have a car in font of you, trying to accelerate when the light turns green, you realise how fast you're going when you over take it with such ease and look 2 seconds later in your rear view mirror and see barely a dot, trying hard to get moving. It's at that point that you realise the perfs of such a car. I'm still speech less.

    The sound: a lot more quiter than the PSE on the carrera S. I actually like it a lot, as you draw a lot less attention. Pedestrians still hear you coming, wich is good a thing, but you don't wake up the neighbourhoud, wich is good too IMO.

    I loved the C4s. I'm in complete trance with the turbo. I'm 10 years old again.

    Re: Just had a go with 997 turbo tiptronic

    1.

    Re: Just had a go with 997 turbo tiptronic

    Nice to see you had fun!

    Re: Just had a go with 997 turbo tiptronic

    2.

    Re: Just had a go with 997 turbo tiptronic

    3.

    Re: Just had a go with 997 turbo tiptronic

    4.

    Re: Just had a go with 997 turbo tiptronic

    5.

    Re: Just had a go with 997 turbo tiptronic

    6.

    Re: Just had a go with 997 turbo tiptronic

    7.

    Re: Just had a go with 997 turbo tiptronic

    LOL.

    Yeah it's funny what a difference a second or two makes.

    When I got mine and passed for the first time the oncoming traffic STOOD STILL! What a gas!

    I like the quieter sound over my 997S too. No need to upset the Natives; they become unpredictable when annoyed.

    EXCELLENT!

    Re: Just had a go with 997 turbo tiptronic

    I knwo, I should get another cell phone, with a better camera.

    There's a nice R8 downstairs, the belgian press car. I'd love to get a try with that one. If it happens, count on me to give a (rookie)'s report.

    Re: Just had a go with 997 turbo tiptronic

    Nice write-up How did you like the Tip?

    Re: Just had a go with 997 turbo tiptronic

    MAN I WANT YOUR SUMMER JOB

    Why dont you take with you, your digital camera?, Put it in your pockets and nobody will see it when getting and delivering the car

    If the salary was good enough I would do a sabatical year just for the love of the job
    thanks for the write up!

    Re: Just had a go with 997 turbo tiptronic

    Thank you for sharing so well your impressions, and most importantly, your emotions

    P.S: since you mention the word "press" (in press-car) you have in belgium a very decent magazine called "Le Moniteur Automobile", although no specifically sport-car oriented.

    Re: Just had a go with 997 turbo tiptronic

    thanks you for these wonderful pics hope you enjoy your turbo and by the way is that the midnight blue?..

    Re: Just had a go with 997 turbo tiptronic

    Amazon, thx for your enjoyable write-ups re: your drives of these cars...

    Always refreshing to hear fresh impressions of driving these cars; downside of daily-driving any of these cars is that one often begins to take for granted how brilliantly engineered/sorted these cars are vs many lesser, alleged sporty cars, let alone plebeian econocars/SUVs....

    Re: Just had a go with 997 turbo tiptronic

    Quote:
    MMD said:
    LOL.

    Yeah it's funny what a difference a second or two makes.

    When I got mine and passed for the first time the oncoming traffic STOOD STILL! What a gas!

    I like the quieter sound over my 997S too. No need to upset the Natives; they become unpredictable when annoyed.

    EXCELLENT!



    We totally have the same opinion. And Thanks

    Re: Just had a go with 997 turbo tiptronic

    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Nice write-up How did you like the Tip?



    I really do like the tip.

    I only had 2 times the 997 with a manual tranny. It was a C4s. I'm still not used to it, but as I said when I reviewed it, you're more involved with a stick. That said, I found the clutch to be a bit too hard. It's harder than on the boxster and cayman if I remember right.

    The tip is so easy and so fast. It's smooth too. There's no delay between the time you press the pedal and the time the car goes. Not like on the cayenne or other SUVs.

    What I didn't liked was

    1. It seems that the gearbox never downshifts to 1st gear. You slow down, and it stays in 2nd gear. You really have to select 1st gear yourself. Don't know why.

    2. When you select 1st coming from 2nd gear, it gets bit jerky.

    3. When you drive fast, you have to concentrate on what you're doing and you don't have the time to watch the speedo to see in what gear you're in. when you're in manual mode, it's easy to shift up, but not so easy to shift down. Of course, you can't do anything wrong like downshifting too soon and getting it above 7200 rpm, but sometimes you just don't know anymore if you're in 3rd or 2nd. I guess you get used to it, but that's what I don't like about tiptronic. Even in manual mode, if you reach 7,000rpm, it will automatically shift. Same thing when you're slowing down. It will, at one point, shift on its own. Wich is all good in theory, but you can get confused with wich gear you're in.

    As I said, very comfortable, very fast and easy, but less involving and for those who are not used to automatics, it can be disturbing, or even annoying.

    I really need to get another manual, so that I can get used to it too. I'm not a dork, I can work a manual, but the 997's clutch needs some practice to master it.

    I drove so far:

    964 carrera 4 manual
    964 turbo manual

    987 boxster manual
    cayman S manual

    997 C4s manual (x2)
    997 C4s tiptronic (x2)
    997 turbo, tiptronic

    Cayenne V6 manual
    Cayenne S tiptronic (x2)

    I'd still want to drive: 997 C2s, 997GT3, 997 GT3RS, a 996 (to see the difference), a carrera GT (I'm dreaming), a 993.

    Let's pray, shall we?

    Re: Just had a go with 997 turbo tiptronic

    Quote:
    Alex18_996CC said:
    MAN I WANT YOUR SUMMER JOB

    Why dont you take with you, your digital camera?, Put it in your pockets and nobody will see it when getting and delivering the car

    If the salary was good enough I would do a sabatical year just for the love of the job
    thanks for the write up!



    Well, I already have so much stuff on me that my pockets are full. I don't wear a coat because it's till too hot to do so and as I'm drivin all day long, going from cars to cars, a coat would be too much trouble.

    I have to carry in my jeans' pocket my wallet, cell phone, car keys (lots of them ), papers that allows me to drive with dealers plates, a Garmin GPS sat-nav so I don't get lost when I don't know where I'm going, my own car keys. It's already a pain as it is. The carrying, not the driving that is.

    Re: Just had a go with 997 turbo tiptronic

    Quote:
    V10_BOOST said:
    thanks you for these wonderful pics hope you enjoy your turbo and by the way is that the midnight blue?..



    Nope. It's cobalt blue. But pics are crappy, so they can't show you sh*it

    Re: Just had a go with 997 turbo tiptronic

    Quote:
    WBH said:
    Amazon, thx for your enjoyable write-ups re: your drives of these cars...

    Always refreshing to hear fresh impressions of driving these cars; downside of daily-driving any of these cars is that one often begins to take for granted how brilliantly engineered/sorted these cars are vs many lesser, alleged sporty cars, let alone plebeian econocars/SUVs....



    Thanks man.

    Re: Just had a go with 997 turbo tiptronic

    Quote:
    Ziggy said:
    Thank you for sharing so well your impressions, and most importantly, your emotions

    P.S: since you mention the word "press" (in press-car) you have in belgium a very decent magazine called "Le Moniteur Automobile", although no specifically sport-car oriented.



    know that auto mag. That's the one I buy.

    It's the same Audi R8 they had test driven in their july edition.

    You can look at the plates. Same one. (AUD.100) We handle the press department for Belgium too. So all the press cars are there. All the new models, from the new Audi TTs to the new Audi S5. Nice stuff I can tell you. There was a journalist who took the R8 on friday, and got it back on monday. He had it the hole week-end. Bastard.

    Here's a photo of the moniteur automobile, with the R8 test.

    Re: Just had a go with 997 turbo tiptronic

    00

    Re: Just had a go with 997 turbo tiptronic

    Quote:
    amazon said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Nice write-up How did you like the Tip?



    I really do like the tip.

    I only had 2 times the 997 with a manual tranny. It was a C4s. I'm still not used to it, but as I said when I reviewed it, you're more involved with a stick. That said, I found the clutch to be a bit too hard. It's harder than on the boxster and cayman if I remember right.

    The tip is so easy and so fast. It's smooth too. There's no delay between the time you press the pedal and the time the car goes. Not like on the cayenne or other SUVs.

    What I didn't liked was

    1. It seems that the gearbox never downshifts to 1st gear. You slow down, and it stays in 2nd gear. You really have to select 1st gear yourself. Don't know why.

    2. When you select 1st coming from 2nd gear, it gets bit jerky.

    3. When you drive fast, you have to concentrate on what you're doing and you don't have the time to watch the speedo to see in what gear you're in. when you're in manual mode, it's easy to shift up, but not so easy to shift down. Of course, you can't do anything wrong like downshifting too soon and getting it above 7200 rpm, but sometimes you just don't know anymore if you're in 3rd or 2nd. I guess you get used to it, but that's what I don't like about tiptronic. Even in manual mode, if you reach 7,000rpm, it will automatically shift. Same thing when you're slowing down. It will, at one point, shift on its own. Wich is all good in theory, but you can get confused with wich gear you're in.

    As I said, very comfortable, very fast and easy, but less involving and for those who are not used to automatics, it can be disturbing, or even annoying.

    I really need to get another manual, so that I can get used to it too. I'm not a dork, I can work a manual, but the 997's clutch needs some practice to master it.

    I drove so far:

    964 carrera 4 manual
    964 turbo manual

    987 boxster manual
    cayman S manual

    997 C4s manual (x2)
    997 C4s tiptronic (x2)
    997 turbo, tiptronic

    Cayenne V6 manual
    Cayenne S tiptronic (x2)

    I'd still want to drive: 997 C2s, 997GT3, 997 GT3RS, a 996 (to see the difference), a carrera GT (I'm dreaming), a 993.

    Let's pray, shall we?



    Much of why I like Tip (always just used Auto mode; the buttons are ergonomically worthless IMO) is that I can more purely focus on steering/throttle/brakes.....and carefully observe the various mechano-digital active/passive dynamics of chassis balance/PASM/PSM/ABS, etc vs road pavement and dynamic inputs....

    Have found that Tip (and AMG's autoboxes) are brilliant in overall speed/smoothness/stability....and, as a mere amateur driver, feel more safe w/the various well-sorted chassis/gearbox computer systems networking, w/my inputs being steering, brakes, throttle....and, most importantly, sensible risk/reward judgment vs road/weather/traffic conds....

    Re: Just had a go with 997 turbo tiptronic

    amazon,

    If you have sport chrono - which you probably do - put the sport button on when you start the car. After approx. 3300 rpm your tip will revert to 1st gear when you come to a stop. Also, once you get used to it, you will NOT drive in manual mode. If your like me, an average driver, manual mode will slow you down. In "regular" drive/auto mode with sport chrono engaged I think the tip is simply superb. The harder you truly push the tip the better the tranny performs in regular drive/auto mode (the soft suspension is another story).

    Re: Just had a go with 997 turbo tiptronic

    Quote:
    amazon said:
    What a good laugh it was.

    My heart was beating way faster than it normally is. I guess the reason was half the excitement of finally getting a spin in one and half the car itself. When I get the keys of a car, I'm usually walking to get it but this I was almost running and jumping. It was just too good to be true.

    The 997 turbo is in that great cobalt blue, wich suits the car so well. Just as I started the engine, it rained like mad. Thank god it stopped quickly but the road was quite wet during my 40 minutes drive and I got the back end spinning each time I was accelerating. What a thrill to feel the back slides a bit in turns. It makes the drive a lot more fun.

    The ride: well, compared to the 997C4s, it's at least as smooth. It didn't seemed to be a problem. Strangely, when the sport button is on, it seemed even more confortable than the C4s. It must be my impression because I think the suspensions are about the same, or are they?

    The brakes . That's one impressive thing about this car. The turbo was equipped with the optional ceramic brakes and I was astonished by their performance on the wet. You've got so much grip that, to get in trouble, you must really over do it. That said, the std breaks of the c4s are just fine for the road. I wouldn't spend 8 ground for such a little difference.

    The perfs: you can definitly feel the difference over a carrera S. With a C4s I already felt that it was way enough for a rookie like me. The turbo is just way too much for me to handle. I just can't exploit the power. First I didn't had the time nor space, but even if I did I would have not been able to enjoy the full power. I would have end up in a dirch or worse. It's when you have a small city car in front of you that you realise how fast you take off. It's kind of weird. On an open road, you just put the pedal to the metal (and in my case, hope for staying on the road) and off you go. But you don't have the impression of just taking off as quick as you actually are. Perception of speed is a weird thing. But when you have a car in font of you, trying to accelerate when the light turns green, you realise how fast you're going when you over take it with such ease and look 2 seconds later in your rear view mirror and see barely a dot, trying hard to get moving. It's at that point that you realise the perfs of such a car. I'm still speech less.

    The sound: a lot more quiter than the PSE on the carrera S. I actually like it a lot, as you draw a lot less attention. Pedestrians still hear you coming, wich is good a thing, but you don't wake up the neighbourhoud, wich is good too IMO.

    I loved the C4s. I'm in complete trance with the turbo. I'm 10 years old again.



    Amazon,
    I agree with your post. I went from a '06 C4S to a '07 Cobalt blue turbo tip and have had the same experience. A lot of different nuances from quieter cabin to deceiving acceleration. Overall the TT is a winner. I can't imagine a better dream car you can drive daily, at least until I have unlimited income.

    My only complaint is that I love the car so much I obsess over it's "safety" in public places.

     
    Edit

    Forum

    Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky The moment I've been waiting for... 8/11/21 2:00 PM
    throt
     
     
     
     
     
    452915 1287
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 9/25/21 12:11 PM
    WhoopsyM
    167402 1111
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 9/17/21 8:59 PM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    65605 380
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 9/27/21 1:55 AM
    watt
    54733 528
    Porsche Sticky ROAD TEST: New 992 Carrera 4S 3/3/21 10:57 PM
    Wonderbar
    46554 336
    Porsche Sticky Porsche Taycan Turbo S - Short Review 9/27/21 4:56 PM
    WhoopsyM
    43368 392
    Porsche Sticky Porsche extends the Taycan model range (Taycan 2WD) 2/1/21 12:42 PM
    Leawood911
    12042 29
    Porsche Cayman GT4 5/4/21 4:46 PM
    Topspeed
    466097 3586
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017) 6/25/21 2:56 PM
    the-missile
    385074 3506
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 8/12/21 4:57 PM
    Topspeed
    381510 3918
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991.2 GT3 RS (2018) 4/28/21 12:26 PM
    W8MM
    347585 3252
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 12/8/20 7:51 PM
    DJM48
    317144 2646
    Porsche 992 GT3 9/27/21 2:19 PM
    the-missile
    263858 2988
    Porsche OFFICIAL: The new Porsche 992 – a design icon and high-tech sports car 9/26/21 10:49 AM
    WhoopsyM
    250841 1586
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Panamera (2016) 2/11/21 9:22 AM
    Itsme
    167547 1379
    Lambo Lamborghini Huracan and variants 4/9/21 4:32 PM
    Topspeed
    118072 1225
    Porsche Donor vehicle for Singer Vehicle Design 9/22/21 1:28 AM
    Leawood911
    102055 749
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 7/5/21 4:30 PM
    BjoernB
    92398 1221
    McLaren F1 7/10/21 7:43 AM
    BiTurbo
    82091 209
    Lambo Aventador and SV 8/27/21 2:33 PM
    Topspeed
    71417 698
    AMG AMG GT R 7/8/21 3:07 PM
    CGX car nut
    71276 824
    Porsche Nürburgring - Tesla vs. Taycan 11/23/20 6:10 PM
    Topspeed
    50654 596
    Others Tesla 2 the new thread 9/14/21 1:11 PM
    BjoernB
    47244 1165
    Others Bugatti Chiron 7/22/21 6:55 PM
    Topspeed
    41986 480
    Ferrari Ferrari 812 Superfast 6/24/21 6:30 PM
    Porker
    39742 531
    Porsche Olive 991.2 GT3 Clubsport 1/1/21 7:58 PM
    throt
    38545 615
    BMW M BMW M2 Rumors 7/7/21 8:38 PM
    Jim_in_Iowa
    30459 394
    Ferrari 488 Replacement 4/17/21 8:28 PM
    Rossi
    27456 370
    Lambo Urus (SUV) 7/21/21 6:22 PM
    Topspeed
    25901 592
    Motor Sp. [2021] Formula 1 9/27/21 7:01 PM
    KMM
    24378 682
    266 items found, displaying 1 to 30.